Going to Maui this Aug 19 and plantation course is CLOSED!!! what else??

e36er

Hello, members.

My family is visiting Oahu and Maui this Aug 19.

I booked Ko'olau and Turtle Bay Palmer course for Oahu.

I planned playing Kapalua Plantation course, Wailea Gold and Emerald then one more!

Just tried to book Plantation course and they said Plantation course will be closed for renovation..........

I played Emerald and Gold of Wailea before and since I stay in Wailea resort, it would make sense to play there again for proximity

Where should I try this time for my other two rounds?

Thank you!!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you’ve got the pockets to afford the Manele green fee, it’s only an hour ferry ride from Lahaina. Wake up early, take the first ferry out, watch the sunrise from behind Haleakala. If you play weekday you’ll have the course to yourself and be done in 3 hours. You can be back to wailea by 2 or 3. I think the shuttle from the docks to the course is still free, it takes 3.5 minutes. Kahili is another Maui option, not a scenic beauty, it’s nice, but a good but windy test of golf

• 2 weeks later...

> @nolayup said:

> If you’ve got the pockets to afford the Manele green fee, it’s only an hour ferry ride from Lahaina. Wake up early, take the first ferry out, watch the sunrise from behind Haleakala. If you play weekday you’ll have the course to yourself and be done in 3 hours. You can be back to wailea by 2 or 3. I think the shuttle from the docks to the course is still free, it takes 3.5 minutes. Kahili is another Maui option, not a scenic beauty, it’s nice, but a good but windy test of golf

im going to be in maui myself from 10/3-10/8. is there a website where you can get more info on how to get to Manele Bay? or do you just need to call them to get all the details on how to get there.

im staying at the grand wailea and i rather leave the rental car with my wife and kids if im going to be out for half the day.

> @johntchow said:

> > @nolayup said:

> > If you’ve got the pockets to afford the Manele green fee, it’s only an hour ferry ride from Lahaina. Wake up early, take the first ferry out, watch the sunrise from behind Haleakala. If you play weekday you’ll have the course to yourself and be done in 3 hours. You can be back to wailea by 2 or 3. I think the shuttle from the docks to the course is still free, it takes 3.5 minutes. Kahili is another Maui option, not a scenic beauty, it’s nice, but a good but windy test of golf

>

> im going to be in maui myself from 10/3-10/8. is there a website where you can get more info on how to get to Manele Bay? or do you just need to call them to get all the details on how to get there.

> im staying at the grand wailea and i rather leave the rental car with my wife and kids if im going to be out for half the day.

youll want to drive up and park in lahaina. cab would be like 70 bucks one way from wailea. you can take expeditions ferry from lahaina harbor. they have golf packages https://go-lanai.com/lanai_golf/

maybe call the golf course and see if its any cheaper i think the ferry is 60$ rt if you buy tix at the kiosk or in advance. if you buy tix individually call early and make a reservation. they have 2 ferrys 645 and 915am in the morning. park anywhere on wainee street for free in lahaina or theres some pay lots. usually in front of aina nalu will have some spots in the morning. or on the east side of the wainee street on the block just north of aina nalu past the church. id aim to arrive in lahaina 30 mins before your scheduled departure just to find parking walk over get a ticket etc. once you get to lanai there will be a shuttle to get you over to the golf course usually ask one of the four seasons employees waiting at the harbor when you get there.

> @burritos4breakfast said:

> > @johntchow said:

> > > @nolayup said:

> > > If you’ve got the pockets to afford the Manele green fee, it’s only an hour ferry ride from Lahaina. Wake up early, take the first ferry out, watch the sunrise from behind Haleakala. If you play weekday you’ll have the course to yourself and be done in 3 hours. You can be back to wailea by 2 or 3. I think the shuttle from the docks to the course is still free, it takes 3.5 minutes. Kahili is another Maui option, not a scenic beauty, it’s nice, but a good but windy test of golf

> >

> > im going to be in maui myself from 10/3-10/8. is there a website where you can get more info on how to get to Manele Bay? or do you just need to call them to get all the details on how to get there.

> > im staying at the grand wailea and i rather leave the rental car with my wife and kids if im going to be out for half the day.

>

> youll want to drive up and park in lahaina. cab would be like 70 bucks one way from wailea. you can take expeditions ferry from lahaina harbor. they have golf packages https://go-lanai.com/lanai_golf/

> maybe call the golf course and see if its any cheaper i think the ferry is 60$ rt if you buy tix at the kiosk or in advance. if you buy tix individually call early and make a reservation. they have 2 ferrys 645 and 915am in the morning. park anywhere on wainee street for free in lahaina or theres some pay lots. usually in front of aina nalu will have some spots in the morning. or on the east side of the wainee street on the block just north of aina nalu past the church. id aim to arrive in lahaina 30 mins before your scheduled departure just to find parking walk over get a ticket etc. once you get to lanai there will be a shuttle to get you over to the golf course usually ask one of the four seasons employees waiting at the harbor when you get there.

awesome, thanks for the detailed info. yeah over the weekend i did some research and found the ferry ride is $60 roundtrip and i contacted four seasons and a round for a non guest at the resorts is $495!! is it worth $495? I mean all told it's probably about a $600+ round, after you include all the transpo costs, etc... not sure if its worth it or not. since were staying at the grand wailea i saw that the wailea golf club has 3 courses and they have some discount family programs where kids golf free after 3pm as well is other discounted rates. also i got an email from golf moose this morning with discounted rates at maui nui and kannapali golf course. ill need to do some research but basically for the price of playing manele bay once, i can play like 7 different courses, lol.

i did see there was a website that offered a round at manele bay and the ferry for $575, but still... is manele bay really worth that much?

> @johntchow said:

> > @burritos4breakfast said:

> > > @johntchow said:

> > > > @nolayup said:

> > > > If you’ve got the pockets to afford the Manele green fee, it’s only an hour ferry ride from Lahaina. Wake up early, take the first ferry out, watch the sunrise from behind Haleakala. If you play weekday you’ll have the course to yourself and be done in 3 hours. You can be back to wailea by 2 or 3. I think the shuttle from the docks to the course is still free, it takes 3.5 minutes. Kahili is another Maui option, not a scenic beauty, it’s nice, but a good but windy test of golf

> > >

> > > im going to be in maui myself from 10/3-10/8. is there a website where you can get more info on how to get to Manele Bay? or do you just need to call them to get all the details on how to get there.

> > > im staying at the grand wailea and i rather leave the rental car with my wife and kids if im going to be out for half the day.

> >

> > youll want to drive up and park in lahaina. cab would be like 70 bucks one way from wailea. you can take expeditions ferry from lahaina harbor. they have golf packages https://go-lanai.com/lanai_golf/

> > maybe call the golf course and see if its any cheaper i think the ferry is 60$ rt if you buy tix at the kiosk or in advance. if you buy tix individually call early and make a reservation. they have 2 ferrys 645 and 915am in the morning. park anywhere on wainee street for free in lahaina or theres some pay lots. usually in front of aina nalu will have some spots in the morning. or on the east side of the wainee street on the block just north of aina nalu past the church. id aim to arrive in lahaina 30 mins before your scheduled departure just to find parking walk over get a ticket etc. once you get to lanai there will be a shuttle to get you over to the golf course usually ask one of the four seasons employees waiting at the harbor when you get there.

>

> awesome, thanks for the detailed info. yeah over the weekend i did some research and found the ferry ride is $60 roundtrip and i contacted four seasons and a round for a non guest at the resorts is $495!! is it worth $495? I mean all told it's probably about a $600+ round, after you include all the transpo costs, etc... not sure if its worth it or not. since were staying at the grand wailea i saw that the wailea golf club has 3 courses and they have some discount family programs where kids golf free after 3pm as well is other discounted rates. also i got an email from golf moose this morning with discounted rates at maui nui and kannapali golf course. ill need to do some research but basically for the price of playing manele bay once, i can play like 7 different courses, lol.

> i did see there was a website that offered a round at manele bay and the ferry for $575, but still... is manele bay really worth that much?

Ya I would probably just play wailea 3 days. Blue emerald and gold. It's nice but not 600$ nice haha. It's a bummer it used to not be that expensive but they want to make it super exclusive.

• 3 weeks later...

> @johntchow said:

> i did see there was a website that offered a round at manele bay and the ferry for $575, but still... is manele bay really worth that much?

https://www.hawaiidiscount.com/golf/lanai/manele-golf-course.htm

Not sure how legit this is but they have the package for $350. I am thinking of doing this when i'm in Maui in September. Coincidentally, I too am from Irvine.

King Kamehameha is pretty unique and worth checking out if you want something different from Waimea and don't want to make the trek to Manele.

> @Besshomie said:

> > @johntchow said:

> > i did see there was a website that offered a round at manele bay and the ferry for $575, but still... is manele bay really worth that much?

>

> https://www.hawaiidiscount.com/golf/lanai/manele-golf-course.htm

>

> Not sure how legit this is but they have the package for $350. I am thinking of doing this when i'm in Maui in September. Coincidentally, I too am from Irvine.

>

> King Kamehameha is pretty unique and worth checking out if you want something different from Waimea and don't want to make the trek to Manele.

Let me know if this package is legitimate! Booked for Maui early November 2019.

The Plantation course was pricey in Feb 2017 (~$450 with Titleist Club Rental), but worth every penny and would play again! Unfortunate, to hear about it being closed for renovations. The views were fantastic and the terrain of the course was incredible on certain holes.

You could always play the bay course next to the plantation course. On the ocean plenty of interesting holes. 16/17 have great views.

PING
G425 LST 10.5* Alta CB Slate 55S

G430 Max 3W Alta CB Slate 65S

G410 2H, 3H Alta CB Red 70S

Glide 2.0 ES 54,60 AWT wedge S (blackout)

Vault Anser 2 Slate

Callaway 

Apex Pro Combo ‘19 5-A Steelfiber i95S

Titleist

ProV1 (2021) Yellow / White

For the last thirty years, I visit Maui one to two golf trips a year. As others have said, King Kamehameha is a kick, if you can get on. Kahili is a really nice, typically well-kept target course. The Dunes at Maui Lani is nice too as long as the wind is within reason, as it blows North to South or reverse along the mountains too often. When the wind blows it's often stronger than the normal Trades, sometimes 3-4 clubs worth, when in other parts of the island it's not blowing much at all. Maui Nui is a really nice Muni local course too, on highway 31 with some view holes. Wailea Gold is the best long course on the southern part of the island, and Makena is a remote gem if open. Enjoy your trip. I will on the Island soon...

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

> @Pepperturbo said:

> For the last thirty years, I visit Maui one to two golf trips a year. As others have said, King Kamehameha is a kick, if you can get on. Kahili is a really nice, typically well-kept target course. The Dunes at Maui Lani is nice too as long as the wind is within reason, as it blows North to South or reverse along the mountains too often. When the wind blows it's often stronger than the normal Trades, sometimes 3-4 clubs worth, when in other parts of the island it's not blowing much at all. Maui Nui is a really nice Muni local course too, on highway 31 with some view holes. Wailea Gold is the best long course on the southern part of the island, and Makena is a remote gem if open. Enjoy your trip. I will on the Island soon...

KK was just ok IMO. Maybe it was the winds, which I'm definitely not used to. Not only that, but most courses out there are carved from the side of a mountain so lies are rarely even. Also, after 3 rounds out there I still could not read the greens or get the speeds right to save my life. I'm also not used to having the wind affect the ball on a putt. Played Kaanapali, KK, then Kapalua Bay. We were supposed to do Wailea Gold, but the fires kept us away.

> @kekoa said:

> > @Pepperturbo said:

> > For the last thirty years, I visit Maui one to two golf trips a year. As others have said, King Kamehameha is a kick, if you can get on. Kahili is a really nice, typically well-kept target course. The Dunes at Maui Lani is nice too as long as the wind is within reason, as it blows North to South or reverse along the mountains too often. When the wind blows it's often stronger than the normal Trades, sometimes 3-4 clubs worth, when in other parts of the island it's not blowing much at all. Maui Nui is a really nice Muni local course too, on highway 31 with some view holes. Wailea Gold is the best long course on the southern part of the island, and Makena is a remote gem if open. Enjoy your trip. I will on the Island soon...

>

> KK was just ok IMO. Maybe it was the winds, which I'm definitely not used to. Not only that, but most courses out there are carved from the side of a mountain so lies are rarely even. Also, after 3 rounds out there I still could not read the greens or get the speeds right to save my life. I'm also not used to having the wind affect the ball on a putt. Played Kaanapali, KK, then Kapalua Bay. We were supposed to do Wailea Gold, but the fires kept us away.

I don't like the wind either but adapt. True, lot's of uneven lies on Maui courses that straddle mountainsides. My last visit to KK, was on that little uphill Par 3, maybe 130yds, hitting directly into the wind from the North, 3-4 clubs worth. I hit 3i to the front apron and LOL. It was blowing that day. You're right about reading greens along the mountain, in that part of the Island, they can be testy. Have a good day.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

> @Besshomie said:

> > @johntchow said:

> > i did see there was a website that offered a round at manele bay and the ferry for $575, but still... is manele bay really worth that much?

>

> https://www.hawaiidiscount.com/golf/lanai/manele-golf-course.htm

>

> Not sure how legit this is but they have the package for $350. I am thinking of doing this when i'm in Maui in September. Coincidentally, I too am from Irvine.

>

> King Kamehameha is pretty unique and worth checking out if you want something different from Waimea and don't want to make the trek to Manele.

let me know if you end up doing that deal and how it works out. i will take a closer look at the website, but for $350, i would strongly consider it on my trip. I'll be out there 10/2 - 10/9. i havent been to maui in like 10 years and this will be my first time golfing in maui. i picked up golf about 3 years ago.

i was planning to just play the wailea course while out there since we are staying at the grand wailea. yeah i saw a deal for KK somewhere on the internet so it's on my short list if i decide to venture out of wailea.

which courses do you play in Irvine?

> @johntchow said:

> let me know if you end up doing that deal and how it works out. i will take a closer look at the website, but for $350, i would strongly consider it on my trip. I'll be out there 10/2 - 10/9. i havent been to maui in like 10 years and this will be my first time golfing in maui. i picked up golf about 3 years ago.

> i was planning to just play the wailea course while out there since we are staying at the grand wailea. yeah i saw a deal for KK somewhere on the internet so it's on my short list if i decide to venture out of wailea.

> which courses do you play in Irvine?

>

I emailed Hawaii Discount Sales and they said that the course is currently not taking bookings until further notice. I will probably follow up with the Four Seasons to see what's up. If you are staying at Grand Wailea then it makes sense to play one of those courses. I am gonna be in Lahaina area so I have different options. In Irvine, I play strawberry farms most often but I try to mix it up so I play all over Orange County and San Diego.

> @Besshomie said:

> > @johntchow said:

> > let me know if you end up doing that deal and how it works out. i will take a closer look at the website, but for $350, i would strongly consider it on my trip. I'll be out there 10/2 - 10/9. i havent been to maui in like 10 years and this will be my first time golfing in maui. i picked up golf about 3 years ago.

> > i was planning to just play the wailea course while out there since we are staying at the grand wailea. yeah i saw a deal for KK somewhere on the internet so it's on my short list if i decide to venture out of wailea.

> > which courses do you play in Irvine?

> >

>

> I emailed Hawaii Discount Sales and they said that the course is currently not taking bookings until further notice. I will probably follow up with the Four Seasons to see what's up. If you are staying at Grand Wailea then it makes sense to play one of those courses. I am gonna be in Lahaina area so I have different options. In Irvine, I play strawberry farms most often but I try to mix it up so I play all over Orange County and San Diego.

The best and most expensive long and challenging course in the Wailea area is Wailea Gold followed by Emerald then Blue. Blue is really wide open and easy banger course. Where ever you play golf have fun and expect to make more putts than on Strawberry Farms greens. Maui is a great place.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

gee...we are all neighbor here. I live in Irvine too LOLOL

Thanks for all helpful comments!

Since I have a wife and two little ones and staying in Grand Wailea, Manele course is to be reserved for next trip along Plantation course.

I guess I will play Gold, Emerald, and blue for distance sake this time.

> @Besshomie said:

> > @johntchow said:

> > let me know if you end up doing that deal and how it works out. i will take a closer look at the website, but for $350, i would strongly consider it on my trip. I'll be out there 10/2 - 10/9. i havent been to maui in like 10 years and this will be my first time golfing in maui. i picked up golf about 3 years ago.

> > i was planning to just play the wailea course while out there since we are staying at the grand wailea. yeah i saw a deal for KK somewhere on the internet so it's on my short list if i decide to venture out of wailea.

> > which courses do you play in Irvine?

> >

>

> I emailed Hawaii Discount Sales and they said that the course is currently not taking bookings until further notice. I will probably follow up with the Four Seasons to see what's up. If you are staying at Grand Wailea then it makes sense to play one of those courses. I am gonna be in Lahaina area so I have different options. In Irvine, I play strawberry farms most often but I try to mix it up so I play all over Orange County and San Diego.

i had called them about a month ago and its basically $500 per round. then add the transpo costs, etc.

yeah i play pretty much all over OC and Corona. been playing Oak Creek more lately with my SCGA deal for the summer.

> @Buckets2 said:

> How are the Ka’anapali courses? Costco has a round at each of their courses for $200 total. I'm planning on trying to get on Manele and also the Kapalua Bay course, but would like 1-3 more rounds during my stay.

Can't speak to Kaanapali but there are usually opportunities to play King Kamehameha if you search the internet. It is unique in many ways and has excellent conditions.

So finally decided to play only three days of golf in Maui, one for Gold and one for Emerald which I've played before.

I still cannot make up my mind for the third course.

Leaning towards Bay or Kaanapali Royal....

If I could get a tee time at King Kamehameha, I would rather play King Kamehameha over those two.

I searched to see if there is any way to get a tee time there but being private, it doesn't show any available.

Any suggestions on getting tee time at King Kamehameha?