I-500s; after using them for a while, anybody else loathe them ?

jwb10

So much of this thread is resonating. Last year I went to CC with the intent of getting fit, and wanted to add some distance as I was coming off a severe arm injury (for context I was splitting time between Adams CMBs and Ping i25). I remember being the first to hit the demo i500 they had and my god, it was like the angels singing from the heavens. The numbers were longer, higher, straighter and they felt great. I didn't pull the trigger, but planned to buy them directly from Ping. My home pro had a demo iron and I took it out to see it in real life, and no matter which shaft I tried, I couldn't repeat the feel or performance of my fitting. Eventually I grabbed his Mizuno JPX900 Forged and Tour demos and it was like the angels were signing from the heavens again. But this time I was able to zero in on the right shaft and decided on the Forged and I'm so glad for it. I've been hitting my irons better than I have in many years, and I not only have my length back, I'm at least 1 or 1.5 clubs longer.

• Like 1

my son has a set on order, i hope (for his sake) his fitting/demo blends into the real world. He is a newer golfer, but plays well for his lack of experience. He went from my hand me down G15's to my hand me down j40 DPC's to now these, oddly he did not see a large distance increase over the DPC's (179.2 to 182.3 carry) but got more spin.

Titleist Tsr2 9*

PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 15*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Ping i210 5-P (26*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

Finally got a few more rounds in with mine.

I really really like then, just have to get the yardages figured out. They're longer and more forgiving than my old G25s and in a much prettier package. Whats not to like>

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

> @J-Tizzle said:

> Finally got a few more rounds in with mine.

>

> I really really like then, just have to get the yardages figured out. They're longer and more forgiving than my old G25s and in a much prettier package. Whats not to like>

What's not to like? For me, nothing. The i500s give me the best improvement in performance - distance and trajectory - that I can remember when upgrading irons, and I have upgraded many times over a lot of years. But I continually read comments from players who object to the sound and feel. I hit my irons with a square clubface and I don't notice any weird sound or feel. And if I did, it wouldn't matter. I prioritize performance over sound and feel, and these clubs have it.

• Like 1

> @torbill said:

> > @J-Tizzle said:

> > Finally got a few more rounds in with mine.

> >

> > I really really like then, just have to get the yardages figured out. They're longer and more forgiving than my old G25s and in a much prettier package. Whats not to like>

>

> What's not to like? For me, nothing. The i500s give me the best improvement in performance - distance and trajectory - that I can remember when upgrading irons, and I have upgraded many times over a lot of years. But I continually read comments from players who object to the sound and feel. I hit my irons with a square clubface and I don't notice any weird sound or feel. And if I did, it wouldn't matter. I prioritize performance over sound and feel, and these clubs have it.

That's why we try them, right ? I, too, hit'em in the middle and I never felt anything. When I didn't , nothing as well. They are dead, and it was impossible to figure out the feel. Again, that's just me, though several others agreed. I tried the 210s and wish i had before pulling the trigger. Ping's making more cash !

> @jwb10 said:

> I really think it has something to do with the weighting and hollow iron....as somebody pointed out earlier Ping will probably get it right in 500s 2.0

I think that Ping already got the i500 right. Can they improve it from here? No doubt - R2.0 things are normally better than R1.0 things. But “improvable” is different than insinuating that there is some sort of inherent flaw with this club that requires an R2.0 version in order to be “right”. More likely, in my sense of it, people who aren’t the target audience are deciding to buy the i500 for reasons of their own.

This is not a game improvement club. This is a club that, as I recall, Ping expressly stated is good for lower handicap players who want more distance and higher ball flight.

I am a low handicap player who is getting older and losing distance with my irons. As far as I know I am a good example of the target audience for this club. I came from iBlades. I find no more distance dispersion with this club than the iBlades. What I do find is that the i500 goes farther and higher, which I appreciate - always better to hit a five or six iron into a green than a hybrid.

Maybe what kgk is experiencing comes from his self-described inconsistent contact. And if he is finding less variation with his new clubs, all the better for him. But I wonder if his improvement is long term, or if it is the placebo effect that we often have when we spend a lot of $$ on clubs. I am well past the placebo effect with my new i500s (normally ends for me the day after the credit card is paid off). I have been playing them for over six months. I find them to be as consistent as any iron I have played, certainly as consistent as my iBlades. Also, I find them to be forgiving, given what they are.

We have to realize that Bladehunter is a scratch player who experiences golf clubs in a way that most of us don’t. As I understand it, his concern is that he routinely plays off hard, thin lies, which causes contact lower on the club face. I rarely play such courses, so this is a don’t-care thing for me. YMMV.

I have played nothing but Ping irons for 30 years. For my game this is the best Ping iron ever.

I couldn’t get along with the long irons in i500s too big for me visually moved to Apex CF19s and couldn’t be happier.

• Like 1

PING
G425 LST 10.5* Alta CB Slate 55S

G430 Max 3W Alta CB Slate 65S

G410 2H, 3H Alta CB Red 70S

Glide 2.0 ES 54,60 AWT wedge S (blackout)

Vault Anser 2 Slate

Callaway 

Apex Pro Combo ‘19 5-A Steelfiber i95S

Titleist

ProV1 (2021) Yellow / White

I'm still hitting the i500 4-iron. It's an amazing club. That said, I don't think it's a set I'd play. If I put a stock swing, it's a solid 4-iron. If I put a monster swing on it, it holds up. I can see how it would both lead to some inconsistent distances (because you can step on it), and some poor feel (especially if you don't middle it). It's far better for mid-cappers to have a 410 or a crossover, etc, but the 500 seems to have seduced a lot of people that want iron distance.

• Like 1

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

> @torbill said:

> Maybe what kgk is experiencing comes from his self-described inconsistent contact. And if he is finding less variation with his new clubs, all the better for him. But I wonder if his improvement is long term, or if it is the placebo effect that we often have when we spend a lot of $$ on clubs. I am well past the placebo effect with my new i500s (normally ends for me the day after the credit card is paid off). I have been playing them for over six months. I find them to be as consistent as any iron I have played, certainly as consistent as my iBlades. Also, I find them to be forgiving, given what they are.

I have easy access to a GC Quad. What I saw was very low spin on some shots, and those flew a country mile. Vertical strike placement on the face seemed to vary spin A LOT. It was most pronounced off a tee - I would have balls go 20 yards farther than I expected sometimes. It wasn't something I enjoyed.

I do not see this on i210's or my previous AP2 710's. Ever. No strange "where the f*** did that come from" fliers. Short I can live with if I put a bad swing on it, but the occasional long flier - simply unplayable, long is dead and a penalty 98% of the time where I play.

• Like 1

> @kgk said:

> > @torbill said:

> > Maybe what kgk is experiencing comes from his self-described inconsistent contact. And if he is finding less variation with his new clubs, all the better for him. But I wonder if his improvement is long term, or if it is the placebo effect that we often have when we spend a lot of $$ on clubs. I am well past the placebo effect with my new i500s (normally ends for me the day after the credit card is paid off). I have been playing them for over six months. I find them to be as consistent as any iron I have played, certainly as consistent as my iBlades. Also, I find them to be forgiving, given what they are.

>

> I have easy access to a GC Quad. What I saw was very low spin on some shots, and those flew a country mile. Vertical strike placement on the face seemed to vary spin A LOT. It was most pronounced off a tee - I would have balls go 20 yards farther than I expected sometimes. It wasn't something I enjoyed.

> I do not see this on i210's or my previous AP2 710's. Ever. No strange "where the **** did that come from" fliers. Short I can live with if I put a bad swing on it, but the occasional long flier - simply unplayable, long is dead and a penalty 98% of the time where I play.

It really is interesting, and science is fascinating. I'm no scientist, and i just couldn't get he clubs to work. I haven't noticed people making similar comment about TMs foam filled hollow players irons. Maybe foam helps ? Like you, I hate fliers, and try to prep for them. if it's from the club, no chance......

> @jwb10 said:

> I finally surrendered....I could not find a consistent swing or set=up to use the I-500s as weapons. All I did was play defense; I-210s on the way. Another failed WRX experiment for a dedicated WRXer: pray for my mortal remains and better irons !

I was able to play both prior to purchase and the i500 are definitely more forgiving then the i210. However, for me distance control and consistency was better with the i210. It is a shorter and spinnier iron also but one of the best feeling irons I’ve gamed

• Like 1

driver callaway xhot 2 8.5 S
irons: callaway xhot 2 4-aw
Hybrid: Baffler 19deg
3wood callaway xhot
putter: Ping scottsdale 2
wedges: taylormade atv 52 56

> @jwb10 said:

> > @kgk said:

> > > @torbill said:

> > > Maybe what kgk is experiencing comes from his self-described inconsistent contact. And if he is finding less variation with his new clubs, all the better for him. But I wonder if his improvement is long term, or if it is the placebo effect that we often have when we spend a lot of $$ on clubs. I am well past the placebo effect with my new i500s (normally ends for me the day after the credit card is paid off). I have been playing them for over six months. I find them to be as consistent as any iron I have played, certainly as consistent as my iBlades. Also, I find them to be forgiving, given what they are.

> >

> > I have easy access to a GC Quad. What I saw was very low spin on some shots, and those flew a country mile. Vertical strike placement on the face seemed to vary spin A LOT. It was most pronounced off a tee - I would have balls go 20 yards farther than I expected sometimes. It wasn't something I enjoyed.

> > I do not see this on i210's or my previous AP2 710's. Ever. No strange "where the **** did that come from" fliers. Short I can live with if I put a bad swing on it, but the occasional long flier - simply unplayable, long is dead and a penalty 98% of the time where I play.

>

> It really is interesting, and science is fascinating. I'm no scientist, and i just couldn't get he clubs to work. I haven't noticed people making similar comment about TMs foam filled hollow players irons. Maybe foam helps ? Like you, I hate fliers, and try to prep for them. if it's from the club, no chance......

i500's may be right for some and not so great for others, but plenty of people have had issues with p790's. big yardage jumps, balls falling out of the sky etc.

• Like 1

Titleist Tsr2 9*

PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 15*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Ping i210 5-P (26*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

People getting inconsistent distance and fliers with i500s, have you considered a more spinny ball? It might be as simple as adding a couple hundred RPMs of spin.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 Speeder 661 Evolution IV X
Cobra Big Tour 13.5 3 wood Ventus Blue 7 X
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 5 wood @ 17.5 Ventus Blue 8 X
Titleist TS3 21 degree hybrid @ 20 Atmos TS Blue HB 8 X
Ping i210 5-9 Power Spec Steelfiber i110 S hardstepped
Ping Glide 2 Stealth SS 45, 50, 55, 60 KBS 610 Wedge 120 S
Ping Sigma G Ketch B

> @kgk said:

> Swing speed may be the real answer to why some people like the 500 and some hate it. I don't need nor want to hit a 7 iron 200 yards, ever.

I think you have it exactly right. As with you, big distance was never a thing with me. Control was what led to good scores for me. But at some point the loss of distance does start to become a key impediment to good scores, and you have to start making other tradeoffs in order to maintain.

I love this site, and most of the players on here, with their inflated sense of talent and their 140 mph swing speeds.

As I look at my own game, and worry about the loss of yardage as I age, I realize how different my game is from most.

I still manage my game on the basis of hitting 7 iron 150, 8 iron 135, 9 iron 120, etc.

This has remained constant since I started playing a set of Haig Ultras back in the late 60’s at 12 years of age, through to today where I play AP2’s at 63 years old.

The variable is the driver, which interestingly enough I am hitting better than I have ever hit in my life. It is certainly longer than my swing speed deserves, due to proper fitting and technology. But I’ll take it.

By the way, I play once a week, never practice or hit balls, and still shoot consistently in the 70’s.

A long statement to get to the point that, while I have looked at the Ping i500’s and found them to be a wonderful looking club, and very solid when I have hit in a simulator, I have no desire at this point to gain any additional yardage, the extent of which appears to vary unpredictably based on what I have read.

• Like 1

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

> @texcrom said:

> I love this site, and most of the players on here, with their inflated sense of talent and their 140 mph swing speeds.

> As I look at my own game, and worry about the loss of yardage as I age, I realize how different my game is from most.

> I still manage my game on the basis of hitting 7 iron 150, 8 iron 135, 9 iron 120, etc.

> This has remained constant since I started playing a set of Haig Ultras back in the late 60’s at 12 years of age, through to today where I play AP2’s at 63 years old.

> The variable is the driver, which interestingly enough I am hitting better than I have ever hit in my life. It is certainly longer than my swing speed deserves, due to proper fitting and technology. But I’ll take it.

> By the way, I play once a week, never practice or hit balls, and still shoot consistently in the 70’s.

> A long statement to get to the point that, while I have looked at the Ping i500’s and found them to be a wonderful looking club, and very solid when I have hit in a simulator, I have no desire at this point to gain any additional yardage, the extent of which appears to vary unpredictably based on what I have read.

That's the thing though, I don't think the 150y 7i is average, particularly once you consider the large amount of casual golfers who play fairly regularly but aren't serious enough to really work on their game. I play a lot of golf as a single and I would definitely say that the majority of players I get paired with do not make that distance, even with SGI irons.

It's not stated officially but, if you make 150y with a 7i, I don't think you're really in the target market for distance irons (players clubs or not). Playing the whites, that's plenty of distance and blues are fine too if you've got a good driver.

• Like 1

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

> @texcrom said:

> I love this site, and most of the players on here, with their inflated sense of talent and their 140 mph swing speeds.

> As I look at my own game, and worry about the loss of yardage as I age, I realize how different my game is from most.

> I still manage my game on the basis of hitting 7 iron 150, 8 iron 135, 9 iron 120, etc.

> This has remained constant since I started playing a set of Haig Ultras back in the late 60’s at 12 years of age, through to today where I play AP2’s at 63 years old.

> The variable is the driver, which interestingly enough I am hitting better than I have ever hit in my life. It is certainly longer than my swing speed deserves, due to proper fitting and technology. But I’ll take it.

> By the way, I play once a week, never practice or hit balls, and still shoot consistently in the 70’s.

> A long statement to get to the point that, while I have looked at the Ping i500’s and found them to be a wonderful looking club, and very solid when I have hit in a simulator, I have no desire at this point to gain any additional yardage, the extent of which appears to vary unpredictably based on what I have read.

At age 63 I hadn't lost any distance either. I didn't start to lose distance until my early 70s. Now I am 75 and have lost distance, for sure. Be patient and see how far those AP2s go in another dozen years. ;-).

Obviously, you and I have both been blessed with bodies that have held up better than most. I would guess that there are a lot of good players who are starting to lose distance before they hit 60, and would be happy to get some of it back.

• Like 1

For me the i500 is a near perfect performing iron. The turf interaction is great, the height, distance and stopping power are fantastic and they are just a smidge less forgiving than the i200 I had previously.

I’m one of those players who struggle with thick soles and could never hit the i200 long irons right. I do have a steep swing and the i500 just work perfect for me. I don’t know what it is but I can hit any yardage I want to. My last round for example I was hitting 6 iron comfortably 180. Then had a 206 yd par 3 with flag in back that I didn’t want to go at with a 5. So I stepped on the 6. Carried it 205, ball was a foot away from pitch and knocked in the birdie.

I had the clubs built to i200 power spec including lengths (I recall the 4/5 iron in i500 being longer so I progressed 3/8” from 7 iron down to 4). The sound and feel were improved from demo irons due to the hot melt Ping adds in there during the build. I’m not crazy about the sound and feel But I got over that real quick when I saw the performance. I’ve been gaming these since August I think and the only thing I will swap them for is i500 2.0.

• Like 3

> @blazman11 said:

> For me the i500 is a near perfect performing iron. The turf interaction is great, the height, distance and stopping power are fantastic and they are just a smidge less forgiving than the i200 I had previously.

>

> I’m one of those players who struggle with thick soles and could never hit the i200 long irons right. I do have a steep swing and the i500 just work perfect for me. I don’t know what it is but I can hit any yardage I want to. My last round for example I was hitting 6 iron comfortably 180. Then had a 206 yd par 3 with flag in back that I didn’t want to go at with a 5. So I stepped on the 6. Carried it 205, ball was a foot away from pitch and knocked in the birdie.

>

> I had the clubs built to i200 power spec including lengths (I recall the 4/5 iron in i500 being longer so I progressed 3/8” from 7 iron down to 4). The sound and feel were improved from demo irons due to the hot melt Ping adds in there during the build. I’m not crazy about the sound and feel But I got over that real quick when I saw the performance. I’ve been gaming these since August I think and the only thing I will swap them for is i500 2.0.

>

>

As someone who played G25 irons since their release, I had 0 issues with the feel/sound because they're better than the G25s.

So far I am really enjoying mine. Like I've said previously, they're as long if not longer than the G25s, just as forgiving, and WAY better to look at. These are basically GI/SGI irons hiding had players clubs. I would think there would be some understanding that these are not the Blueprints. These are a niche iron for sure, and I seem to fit that niche.

With that said, I have had a few wonky strikes out of the rough. Some fly like crazy, some drop dead way shot of the intended yardage. I haven't played them enough to decide if I'm blaming the irons or my swing yet...

• Like 1
G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

I knew that others would like them, but it is amazing to me that I hate'em more and more each time. I know some of it is just confirmation bias but I tried shots that i could pull off easily with my I-200s and could not perform with the 500s. But the biggest problem I have is with turf interaction and flight control. I cannot get a consistent strike , distance or spin.....

So my new I-210s arrived yesterday. Put them in play today w/o any practice. they are longer, straighter and better feeling than the I-500s. It's not even close. Frankly, I feel more than a little misled by Ping as the I-500 could never deliver what the I-210s did and the promise of more distance and better feel was clearly illusory, and they HAD to know it. Ping seldom misses but those are as bad as Zings ( I and II). Where do i get my money back for clanky, inconsistent and expensive time wasters ?