2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

My Nemesis Hole

RSinSG

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > @andrue said:

> > > @Twism86 said:

> > > This thread is useless without screen shots from google maps!! Or tell us the course and we can find it ourselves, haha, come on its 2019 people!

> >

> > Well I linked to 'golfer's eye view' photos but if you insist:

> > [Top right to bottom middle.](https://goo.gl/maps/EZPvCF9Siy63sXPt7 "Top right to bottom middle.")

>

> Yeah, coming in with a long iron or hybrid at that angle, that narrow plateau green would be hard to hold. In fact, having a 220-yard par three with a raised green is pretty sadistic for a regular course, IMHO.

I totally agree! It’s a pace of play killer!

> @BNGL said:

> > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > @andrue said:

> > > > @Twism86 said:

> > > > This thread is useless without screen shots from google maps!! Or tell us the course and we can find it ourselves, haha, come on its 2019 people!

> > >

> > > Well I linked to 'golfer's eye view' photos but if you insist:

> > > [Top right to bottom middle.](https://goo.gl/maps/EZPvCF9Siy63sXPt7 "Top right to bottom middle.")

> >

> > Yeah, coming in with a long iron or hybrid at that angle, that narrow plateau green would be hard to hold. In fact, having a 220-yard par three with a raised green is pretty sadistic for a regular course, IMHO.

>

>

> I totally agree! It’s a pace of play killer!

When I first joined it was the 11th hole and was designated as a call-up hole. It's no longer designated as call-up and is only the 11th on Monday and Friday. Defintely not my favourite hole on competition day. The first hole is a pretty easy par 4 unless you're unlucky but then, wham! You're standing on the tee looking at that and in my case wondering what to do because I only have two clubs that can even reach the distance (driver and when well struck my 3h). A lay up isn't nice because you often end up with a sloping lie for your approach shot.

From the standard tee it's not so bad, aim left of the green and hope to either run up and down the bank or fade onto the green. But from the comp tees aiming left means firing over the trees and for me that's a bit of an ask on only the second hole of the round.

> @andrue said:

> > @BNGL said:

> > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > @andrue said:

> > > > > @Twism86 said:

> > > > > This thread is useless without screen shots from google maps!! Or tell us the course and we can find it ourselves, haha, come on its 2019 people!

> > > >

> > > > Well I linked to 'golfer's eye view' photos but if you insist:

> > > > [Top right to bottom middle.](https://goo.gl/maps/EZPvCF9Siy63sXPt7 "Top right to bottom middle.")

> > >

> > > Yeah, coming in with a long iron or hybrid at that angle, that narrow plateau green would be hard to hold. In fact, having a 220-yard par three with a raised green is pretty sadistic for a regular course, IMHO.

> >

> >

> > I totally agree! It’s a pace of play killer!

> When I first joined it was the 11th hole and was designated as a call-up hole. It's no longer designated as call-up and is only the 11th on Monday and Friday. Defintely not my favourite hole on competition day. The first hole is a pretty easy par 4 unless you're unlucky but then, wham! Your standing on the tee looking at that and in my case wondering what to do because I only have two clubs that can even reach the distance (driver and when well struck my 3h). A lay up isn't nice because you often end up with a sloping lie for your approach shot.

Yeah this is 9 at the Hills Course. I think it’s 225 on the card from the tips all you can see is the top half of the flag sometimes the sides slope toward the green so that helps but that’s sugar sung in that waste area so there is no chance to lay up.

wsgi7xbdf8o9.jpeg

16th at my club. 510 par 5. Water(stream down the most of the right side) and OB to the right of that. Hit a driver and catch the hill and the lake on the left comes into play from the tee. Entire left side of green runs towards the water. I have seen piles of great rounds, by myself and others, come to a watery or OB grave on this hole.

bugbu9u9rzm9.jpg

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Mamala Bay Par 3 6th Hole on Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii. I've played this whole at least 20 times and never parred it (I've parred every other whole at least one time). I know, I know, you're thinking this looks like a simple par 3 with an elevated green and slightly elevated green. The tree to the front-left of the green is usually much more grown out than is shown here (I'm wondering if they had to prune it back due to a storm), but it does an amazing job protecting the green and the flag is almost always tucked back behind the tree or no more than the middle of the green. Top that off with the wind blowing in your face (I found it to be a 1.5 club wind) and it adds up to being a very difficult hole for me. The few I ever saw birdie the hole were those who could hit a towering shot over the green to get close to the pin or who aimed to the right side of the tree and then drained a very long putt.

2nx4497jkqyy.jpg

> @KillerPenguin said:

> Mamala Bay Par 3 6th Hole on Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii. I've played this whole at least 20 times and never parred it (I've parred every other whole at least one time). I know, I know, you're thinking this looks like a simple par 3 with an elevated green and slightly elevated green. The tree to the front-left of the green is usually much more grown out than is shown here (I'm wondering if they had to prune it back due to a storm), but it does an amazing job protecting the green and the flag is almost always tucked back behind the tree or no more than the middle of the green. Top that off with the wind blowing in your face (I found it to be a 1.5 club wind) and it adds up to being a very difficult hole for me. The few I ever saw birdie the hole were those who could hit a towering shot over the green to get close to the pin or who aimed to the right side of the green and then drained a very long putt.

> 2nx4497jkqyy.jpg

>

Good ole Mamala Bay, that tree does come out a ways more than what the photo suggests.

> @BNGL said:

> Yeah this is 9 at the Hills Course. I think it’s 225 on the card from the tips all you can see is the top half of the flag sometimes the sides slope toward the green so that helps but that’s sugar sung in that waste area so there is no chance to lay up.

Oh that is bad :(

#8 at my home course.

We call it 'The Turtle's Back'.

It's oval and sloped like a turtle shell.

Left of middle, it rolls off, same with right side of middle.

Front is flat on approach.

Back falls off.

There is a 4-5 foot wide strip down the middle that is level enough for a ball.

The strip is about 18???????? feet long.

This is a 280 yard par 4.

Looks so easy.

No sand, or water.

A lot of people end up with 6-8 score on this hole.

I had a birdie the other day. (First time in 2 years).

I quit after the 9th hole . Should have bought some lottery tickets.

Usually, I take a 5 and say thank you.

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > @jonnymc44 said:

> > > @elwhippy said:

> > > I am doing battle with mine, and everyone else in our county...by playing Silloth next week. The 13th was designed by Satan. With a hangover. A brutally difficult hole, it is borderline Mickey Mouse but the greatest card wrecker in our area.

> >

> > Ahhhhh the old Hog's Back. Love the hole, love the course.

> >

> > Mine is 12th at my club. 362yds looks easy, but is deceptively difficult. Scorecard does not do it justice. It's always close to being hardest on the course in club compeitions despite being 13th hardest on the scorecard. It's left to right dogleg, with a raised green at the bottom of a steep slope. Green slopes front to back as well. Our course always plays firm, and this is the firmest green on the course with it being raised.

> > I just can't play a second shot into the hole, whether I pitch it short, which can often result in odd bounces left, right or forwards over the green. I play on the moors (hills) in UK and there are some rolling undulations towards the green, not too dissimilar to what you'd see on a links course. I've resorted to a 150yd putt down the hill. I can't for the life of me play the hole. I've been a member there since I was 9 and have been playing for 24 years! A par for me is like a birdie, and would snap your hand off if you offered me a par without having to play the hole.

> > Tee shot

> > ieq4c7r0pugm.png

> > Second shot to raised green.

> > gjlvymro1771.png

> > Edit: apologies for the poor image quality. They have been screenshotted from our club's youtube channel, pre-HD days.

> > https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXg18MvJD23McQR1f9YNsrQ

> >

>

> That reminds me of a course I played as a junior a couple of times. I think it was Ben Rhydding (W. Yorks). Lots of greens like that. Raised up at the back to counter the slope, with no good miss left, right, or long, and the green usually sloping down to the back. In fact, quite a few courses I played had a hole or two like that. I suppose it's unavoidable with the hilly terrain in the North of England.

Made par on Captain's Day on my nemesis hole over the weekend to card a level par gross and win the competition with 44pts. Won the back 9 on a card playoff with 23pts.

I actually hit the green and left my birdie putt short. But always happy to walk off with a par on 12.

Number 17 at my course kills me on a regular basis. 491yd mild bend to the right, si14 so shouldnt be all that. But if i get a 7 im happy at the moment. Start of last season i would take a driver and generally be ok, but a couple of times in a row i abolutely nailed my drive, but due to how dry the course gets i ran out of fairway and couldnt find my ball. So i started taking a 3 wood, but for some reason started to lose it right. My normal miss is a hook, so slicing was even more frustrating. I think dropped to a 4i and still i seem to lose it right in the exact same spot. No matter what club i take, this hole is in my head and it goes to the same spot. This weekend, heading into this hole i was +16 through 16, so right on/slightly under handicap... standard shot into the circle below, in a rut with a tree root hampering swing. Dont get it out far enough to have a view down the hole, play over a tree and end up plugged in the face of the fairway bunker and i ended up with a 9. Just kills the card. d2bpac37h8ca.png

What i don't understand, the tee box is a little sloped from right to left, so the ball is a touch above my feet, so in theory i should be pulling it left if anything. Something just doesnt fit my eye and i must be setting up with my club and feet aimed in different directions or something, but no matter what i do, it's the same result.