2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Have you ever lost a match on purpose?

Yes I know this sacrilegious to ask, but have you ever dumped a match on purpose?

I will spare you the entire story, but I just did. I was playing with a Junior who has a big match play competition this weekend. He was feeling great about his game and in my heart I wanted him to win and gets some momentum going. I would not go as far as saying I threw the match, but at some stage during the round, I eased off the gas and he passed me. I didn't the fight in me to keep my foot on the peddle.

Nothing crazy occurred he won the match on 17 and I went on to shoot 4 over (right on my cap)

> @2bGood said:

> Yes I know this sacrilegious to ask, but have you ever dumped a match on purpose?

>

> I will spare you the entire story, but I just did. I was playing with a Junior who has a big match play competition this weekend. He was feeling great about his game and in my heart I wanted him to win and gets some momentum going. I would not go as far as saying I threw the match, but at some stage during the round, I eased off the gas and he passed me. I didn't the fight in me to keep my foot on the peddle.

>

> Nothing crazy occurred he won the match on 17 and I went on to shoot 4 over (right on my cap)

I have. Last year during our club champ final round. I had crapped the bed first round and was put back into the C flight. Everyone there knew I didnt belong there. But that’s how it worked out. First place for the flight got $100 gift card. I had 3 shot cushion after 12 and realized the 76 year old guy in my group was #2. I genuinely lost interest. I didn’t hit bad shots on purpose. But I did wave at a few putts from distance and make 2 bogeys coming in. I was still playing terribly even though leading. He makes birdie on 17 and that’s when I decided “ I don’t want to win this way “. Took too much club off 18 tee and blew it through the dogleg OB. Lost by 2. Seeing the guys face as he won was worth it. I’ve never wanted to win that way. For reference. I had 14 3 putts in 54 holes. Its a “ thing” ( going stone handed with putter ) that I’ve battled through. To have won that flight would have been insult to injury for me.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

All the time, I work in sales and beating customers doesn't get the job done all the time. That's the only time though.

I did have a guy that was being a real horses butt about beating me once and asked if I wanted to play the last hole for a shirt at the proshop. Short par 4, with a creek in front of the green and a rock wall in back. About 250 to the creek and he gets up first with his driver. Bangs one out there in the rough short of the creek. I hit a 5i down the middle. I'm up first and hit my wedge to 10'. He blasts out of the rough and flies the green, bounces off the rock wall back into the creek. Needless to say, he didn't get a shirt.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

That would be lame and I wouldn’t want to play or socialize with you, sorry.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

> @Golfer4Life said:

> That would be lame and I wouldn’t want to play or socialize with you, sorry.

Lol. Sweep the leg right ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Friend of mine was playing a knockout matchplay round one evening, he rushed from work to meet his opponent, who he had never met before, shook hands and, as he had the honour, proceeded to tee off. He nailed the ball down the middle, then his opponent said “great drive, shame you have to play it again - you teed your ball up an inch in front of the markers”.

My friend turned to the opponent and asked him if he’d ever won a match 18 up and got a confused reply “no”. My friend said “well you have now as I’m not about to waste 3 hours of my life in the company of a tw*t like you” and left.

I would like to think I would have the bottle to do the same in a similar circumstances.

• Like 1

> @"Deceptively Short" said:

> Friend of mine was playing a knockout matchplay round one evening, he rushed from work to meet his opponent, who he had never met before, shook hands and, as he had the honour, proceeded to tee off. He nailed the ball down the middle, then his opponent said “great drive, shame you have to play it again - you teed your ball up an inch in front of the markers”.

> My friend turned to the opponent and asked him if he’d ever won a match 18 up and got a confused reply “no”. My friend said “well you have now as I’m not about to waste 3 hours of my life in the company of a tw*t like you” and left.

> I would like to think I would have the bottle to do the same in a similar circumstances.

Lol. Amen. It would either turn into that same scenario. Or a Stephen aimes level beat down.

I detest trash talkers usually. But if that switch gets flipped on in me I have no filter. He’d live hard for the next 12 holes or so unless he played lights out.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Is this a trick question? Like how somewhere in my subconscious I knew I didn't deserve to win and that's why I couldn't close it out? I've done that loads of times.

Or how my our group of casual golfers doesn't really "do" handicaps so we assign strokes each round and I feel guilty asking for too many in case I do play how I know I should, so I've basically lost before I started?

The rest of the time my general lack of consistency usually catches up with me earlier in the round and I'm not in a position to "intentionally" lose.

> @Golfer4Life said:

> That would be lame and I wouldn’t want to play or socialize with you, sorry.

:D you have some high standards. I some how don't think you would choose to not socialize with a person because the didn't try their hardest on a casual Thursday morning golf game.

Can you imagine if it was true how silly you would sound?

Me " hey golfer4life, do you and your wife want to come over for dinner, we have some fun people coming by and a brought in a great chef to cater? I t should be a wonderful night."

Golfer4life : "Sorry I will not socialize with you as you did not try hard playing a causal golf match 7 years ago."

We have a handicap match play event that drags on over 6-9 months. You have to organise the games, there is a must play by date for each of the rounds. The first two games had been a pita to organise, both times I had to take a day off work to appease some retired punter. In the 3rd round, I was drawn against a mate, we had a great game and finished square, he says, down 19 we go, I said, put it one up on the sheet, I'm done.

> @2bGood said:

> > @Golfer4Life said:

> > That would be lame and I wouldn’t want to play or socialize with you, sorry.

>

> :D you have some high standards. I some how don't think you would choose to not socialize with a person because the didn't try their hardest on a casual Thursday morning golf game.

>

> Can you imagine if it was true how silly you would sound?

>

> Me " hey golfer4life, do you and your wife want to come over for dinner, we have some fun people coming by and a brought in a great chef to cater? I t should be a wonderful night."

>

> Golfer4life : "Sorry I will not socialize with you as you did not try hard playing a causal golf match 7 years ago."

>

>

>

>

Well, if someone were to behave that way, it won't even go that far. Sorry my standards offend you, but they are mine. Thank you!

If you can't be honest in a simple game, how honest can you be in life?

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)

I’ve been trying to win my matches on purpose for years, to no avail.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

> @Golfer4Life said:

> > @2bGood said:

> > > @Golfer4Life said:

> > > That would be lame and I wouldn’t want to play or socialize with you, sorry.

> >

> > :D you have some high standards. I some how don't think you would choose to not socialize with a person because the didn't try their hardest on a casual Thursday morning golf game.

> >

> > Can you imagine if it was true how silly you would sound?

> >

> > Me " hey golfer4life, do you and your wife want to come over for dinner, we have some fun people coming by and a brought in a great chef to cater? I t should be a wonderful night."

> >

> > Golfer4life : "Sorry I will not socialize with you as you did not try hard playing a causal golf match 7 years ago."

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> Well, if someone were to behave that way, it won't even go that far. Sorry my standards offend you, but they are mine. Thank you!

>

> If you can't be honest in a simple game, how honest can you be in life?

Who’s more dishonest. The guy who will win at any cost. Or the guy who may let off the pedal to help someone who’s a lesser player than he? ( junior , senior , mate as described by 3 different posts above ) You’re right about your ideas and standards being yours. That being said , you shouldn’t have any problem wearing this opinion either.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @Golfer4Life said:

> > @2bGood said:

> > > @Golfer4Life said:

> > > That would be lame and I wouldn’t want to play or socialize with you, sorry.

> >

> > :D you have some high standards. I some how don't think you would choose to not socialize with a person because the didn't try their hardest on a casual Thursday morning golf game.

> >

> > Can you imagine if it was true how silly you would sound?

> >

> > Me " hey golfer4life, do you and your wife want to come over for dinner, we have some fun people coming by and a brought in a great chef to cater? I t should be a wonderful night."

> >

> > Golfer4life : "Sorry I will not socialize with you as you did not try hard playing a causal golf match 7 years ago."

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> Well, if someone were to behave that way, it won't even go that far. Sorry my standards offend you, but they are mine. Thank you!

>

> If you can't be honest in a simple game, how honest can you be in life?

Not offended, just thought it was funny/curious.

Last month I was visiting a friend who had Alzheimers. He wanted to play our old penny a point card game. I have to admit I did not try hard at all and even actively threw a game or two.

He had fun, I had fun - winning did not matter.

Sure I was not honest a simple game, but I felt pretty good about it.

> @2bGood said:

> > @Golfer4Life said:

> > > @2bGood said:

> > > > @Golfer4Life said:

> > > > That would be lame and I wouldn’t want to play or socialize with you, sorry.

> > >

> > > :D you have some high standards. I some how don't think you would choose to not socialize with a person because the didn't try their hardest on a casual Thursday morning golf game.

> > >

> > > Can you imagine if it was true how silly you would sound?

> > >

> > > Me " hey golfer4life, do you and your wife want to come over for dinner, we have some fun people coming by and a brought in a great chef to cater? I t should be a wonderful night."

> > >

> > > Golfer4life : "Sorry I will not socialize with you as you did not try hard playing a causal golf match 7 years ago."

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Well, if someone were to behave that way, it won't even go that far. Sorry my standards offend you, but they are mine. Thank you!

> >

> > If you can't be honest in a simple game, how honest can you be in life?

>

> Not offended, just thought it was funny/curious.

>

> Last month I was visiting a friend who had Alzheimers. He wanted to play our old penny a point card game. I have to admit I did not try hard at all and even actively threw a game or two.

>

> He had fun, I had fun - winning did not matter.

>

>

>

>

Fair enough!?

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Srixon Q-Star Tour 

Only once. My son made the high school team yet he had never beat me. They had a match coming up and he wanted me to go out and play the day before. Told him, I will but we must play for something. Ok, $5 front back and total. He was playing really well but so was I. We were dead even coming into 17 (a par 5). He killed a drive down the middle and probably could have easily reached the green in 2. I decided to not even attempt going for the green. Instead, I deliberately lined up slight right with my layup shot and hit the ball into the trees. He played smart, and hit a layup down the middle, I had to pitch out and ended up making 6. He made par to go one up. We tied 18 so he wins 1 up. I think the fact he won that day boosted his confidence and he killed it in the HS match the next day. He still does not know I did that on purpose and he does not read golf forums so I am ok. Even if he did, I would just look at him and remind him what a confidence boost he got. Amazing what we will do for our kids.

> @bladehunter said:

> > @2bGood said:

> > Yes I know this sacrilegious to ask, but have you ever dumped a match on purpose?

> >

> > I will spare you the entire story, but I just did. I was playing with a Junior who has a big match play competition this weekend. He was feeling great about his game and in my heart I wanted him to win and gets some momentum going. I would not go as far as saying I threw the match, but at some stage during the round, I eased off the gas and he passed me. I didn't the fight in me to keep my foot on the peddle.

> >

> > Nothing crazy occurred he won the match on 17 and I went on to shoot 4 over (right on my cap)

>

> I have. Last year during our club champ final round. **I had crapped the bed first round and was put back into the C flight**. Everyone there knew I didnt belong there. But that’s how it worked out. First place for the flight got $100 gift card. I had 3 shot cushion after 12 and realized the 76 year old guy in my group was #2. I genuinely lost interest. I didn’t hit bad shots on purpose. But I did wave at a few putts from distance and make 2 bogeys coming in. I was still playing terribly even though leading. He makes birdie on 17 and that’s when I decided “ I don’t want to win this way “. Took too much club off 18 tee and blew it through the dogleg OB. Lost by 2. Seeing the guys face as he won was worth it. I’ve never wanted to win that way. For reference. I had 14 3 putts in 54 holes. Its a “ thing” ( going stone handed with putter ) that I’ve battled through. To have won that flight would have been insult to injury for me.

I think I've got it.

Your club had a qualifier to group the flights and you had a bad round putting you in the "C" (3rd ?) flight, yes ?

My old club (smaller than yours apparently) at one time had a qualifier, top 16 went into the Championship Flight. But when what happened to you happened to a few of the better players and they got put in the "2nd" flight instead of the Championship flight and, of course, some weaker players who had an unusually good qualifier but had NO chance at winning the Championship flight, that changed pretty quickly.

Frankly, as the 2nd or 3rd best player (by handicap) in my club, if that happened to me I wouldn't have even played in the 2nd flight. I surely wouldn't dump a match though. Do you think you did the guy a favor ? Sure hope he never finds out.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

> @nsxguy said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @2bGood said:

> > > Yes I know this sacrilegious to ask, but have you ever dumped a match on purpose?

> > >

> > > I will spare you the entire story, but I just did. I was playing with a Junior who has a big match play competition this weekend. He was feeling great about his game and in my heart I wanted him to win and gets some momentum going. I would not go as far as saying I threw the match, but at some stage during the round, I eased off the gas and he passed me. I didn't the fight in me to keep my foot on the peddle.

> > >

> > > Nothing crazy occurred he won the match on 17 and I went on to shoot 4 over (right on my cap)

> >

> > I have. Last year during our club champ final round. **I had crapped the bed first round and was put back into the C flight**. Everyone there knew I didnt belong there. But that’s how it worked out. First place for the flight got $100 gift card. I had 3 shot cushion after 12 and realized the 76 year old guy in my group was #2. I genuinely lost interest. I didn’t hit bad shots on purpose. But I did wave at a few putts from distance and make 2 bogeys coming in. I was still playing terribly even though leading. He makes birdie on 17 and that’s when I decided “ I don’t want to win this way “. Took too much club off 18 tee and blew it through the dogleg OB. Lost by 2. Seeing the guys face as he won was worth it. I’ve never wanted to win that way. For reference. I had 14 3 putts in 54 holes. Its a “ thing” ( going stone handed with putter ) that I’ve battled through. To have won that flight would have been insult to injury for me.

>

> I think I've got it.

>

> Your club had a qualifier to group the flights and you had a bad round putting you in the "C" (3rd ?) flight, yes ?

>

> My old club (smaller than yours apparently) at one time had a qualifier, top 16 went into the Championship Flight. But when what happened to you happened to a few of the better players and they got put in the "2nd" flight instead of the Championship flight and, of course, some weaker players who had an unusually good qualifier but had NO chance at winning the Championship flight, that changed pretty quickly.

>

> Frankly, as the 2nd or 3rd best player (by handicap) in my club, if that happened to me I wouldn't have even played in the 2nd flight. I surely wouldn't dump a match though. Do you think you did the guy a favor ? Sure hope he never finds out.

>

>

Quite true. I almost didn’t play. But it’s one of those things where you want to play so badly that you do , then halfway through regret showing up.

No I don’t necessarily think I did anyone a favor. But I do think I set things right as I shouldn’t have been there to begin with. Don’t know if he ever suspected. Don’t care. It’s not as if I tanked shots into the woods on purpose. I just stopped trying to score. As in stopped trying to win.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @RickKimbrell said:

> Only once. My son made the high school team yet he had never beat me. They had a match coming up and he wanted me to go out and play the day before. Told him, I will but we must play for something. Ok, $5 front back and total. He was playing really well but so was I. We were dead even coming into 17 (a par 5). He killed a drive down the middle and probably could have easily reached the green in 2. I decided to not even attempt going for the green. Instead, I deliberately lined up slight right with my layup shot and hit the ball into the trees. He played smart, and hit a layup down the middle, I had to pitch out and ended up making 6. He made par to go one up. We tied 18 so he wins 1 up. I think the fact he won that day boosted his confidence and he killed it in the HS match the next day. He still does not know I did that on purpose and he does not read golf forums so I am ok. Even if he did, I would just look at him and remind him what a confidence boost he got. Amazing what we will do for our kids.

Sounds almost exactly like my story, expect it was a 'range rat' at our club, not my kid. A nice young guy, always polite and he was looking for a tune up match as he was off school but none of his buddies were not and he had a big match on the weekend. I can't say I set up to hit any purposely bad shots, but I found myself cheering for him to win - not me. A pretty good example is I hit a draw reliably, but I have been working on adding a fade to my game. I hit fades more than I ever would have if I wanted to win the match. I guess it was the Dad in me coming out.

I've never lost a match on purpose. I think I would rather cut off an arm haha.

That being said:

I'm impressed and envious to read these stories. Some genuinely good dudes who didnt think of the "W" and looked at the big picture.

Good on all of ya.

On the flip side of the coin is a guy like me (who has improved as a person over the years) but who was forced to take up golf because he was a bad teammate and a poor sport. I have nobody to blame but myself in golf. Such a humbling game. I'm grateful my dad got me into the game. Still lots to learn.