2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Hank Haney comments on the Women's U.S. Open

> @ilikegolf26 said:

> > @anth said:

> > It’s a crap comment. It feeds in to antiquated concepts of not being able to tell Asians apart “because they all look the same”. The game is dominated by Korean women that’s true. Not being able to tell them apart is lazy for someone who has a **** radio show about golf! Either do the research or shut up about it. Comments like this are just massively disrespectful.

> >

> > And while we’re at it can we just stop the whining about how the Asians are “taking over the Tour?” If you want to be universally recognised as the best Tour in the world you have to allow the best players to play on it. Doesn’t matter where they come from.

>

> Like 99.99999% of the population Hank just probably could care less about the LPGA and women's golf in general.

Excellent observation. Hank is on PGA Tour Radio - not LPGA Tour Radio. Most of his listeners probably didn't take offense to his comments.

• Like 2

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

> @tatertot said:

> > @Enduro59 said:

> > > @Golfer4Life said:

> > > > @tatertot said:

> > > > > @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> > > > > > @illum1na71 said:

> > > > > > Acknowledging that a Korean golfer is more likely to win the US Open is not inherently racist. It's grouping them with the same last name and stereotyping a ethnicity is....

> > > > >

> > > > > Bull it's racist. Lee is the most common surname on the LPGA tour with 4 of the top 26 being Lee. There are more top players on that tour of Asian decent. It all makes statistical sense therefore it can't be racist.

> > > >

> > > > Does this sound "right" to you:

> > > >

> > > > I don't follow the NBA ... I bet a bunch of African-American guys will win the title though, and most of them will probably have tatoos. Probably won't be a white guy on the court most of the time.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > It's statistically accurate ... but if a talking head said it on sports radio, how long do you think they would be on the air? And for good reason. It's ignorant, shows a lack of understanding of culture and is out of place.

> > >

> > > Well, technically, that’s your opinion, which is fine. Who decides what’s ignorant or lack cultural understanding? You? Me? Come on!

> >

> > Mob mentality and political correctness run amuck along with a lot of hatred mixed in seems to be the order of the day worldwide now more than ever. Censorship and shouting down those who don't agree with you is the new world order of the day. If mankind is evolving I can't tell it. Remember this from back after WWII.......

> >

> > They came for Matt Kutcher and I joined the mob against him because I didn't like him all that much and he didn't do exactly like I thought he should do even though he broke no law and went above what he said he would do.

> > They came for Hank Haney and I joined the mob against him because I didn't like him all that much plus he said something on a radio show that I didn't agree with even though what he said was quite factual at it's core.

> > They came for Lexi Thompson and I did nothing because what do I care if hate filled people on social media try to ruin her life even more than it already is just because she played golf with the duely elected President of the United States.

> > Then they came for me....and their was no one to stand up for me.

>

> Has the government come after Kuch, Hank or Lexi? Oh, no, you just don't like people expressing opinions different than yours ... Which, ironically, is what you're whining about. Huh. Snowflake.

How do you know what my opinion is? What I don't like is mob rule bending people over backwards to bow down to the political correctness thrown when the examples I gave none had broken any law other than not being politically correct.

> @Enduro59 said:

> > @tatertot said:

> > > @Enduro59 said:

> > > > @Golfer4Life said:

> > > > > @tatertot said:

> > > > > > @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> > > > > > > @illum1na71 said:

> > > > > > > Acknowledging that a Korean golfer is more likely to win the US Open is not inherently racist. It's grouping them with the same last name and stereotyping a ethnicity is....

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Bull it's racist. Lee is the most common surname on the LPGA tour with 4 of the top 26 being Lee. There are more top players on that tour of Asian decent. It all makes statistical sense therefore it can't be racist.

> > > > >

> > > > > Does this sound "right" to you:

> > > > >

> > > > > I don't follow the NBA ... I bet a bunch of African-American guys will win the title though, and most of them will probably have tatoos. Probably won't be a white guy on the court most of the time.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > It's statistically accurate ... but if a talking head said it on sports radio, how long do you think they would be on the air? And for good reason. It's ignorant, shows a lack of understanding of culture and is out of place.

> > > >

> > > > Well, technically, that’s your opinion, which is fine. Who decides what’s ignorant or lack cultural understanding? You? Me? Come on!

> > >

> > > Mob mentality and political correctness run amuck along with a lot of hatred mixed in seems to be the order of the day worldwide now more than ever. Censorship and shouting down those who don't agree with you is the new world order of the day. If mankind is evolving I can't tell it. Remember this from back after WWII.......

> > >

> > > They came for Matt Kutcher and I joined the mob against him because I didn't like him all that much and he didn't do exactly like I thought he should do even though he broke no law and went above what he said he would do.

> > > They came for Hank Haney and I joined the mob against him because I didn't like him all that much plus he said something on a radio show that I didn't agree with even though what he said was quite factual at it's core.

> > > They came for Lexi Thompson and I did nothing because what do I care if hate filled people on social media try to ruin her life even more than it already is just because she played golf with the duely elected President of the United States.

> > > Then they came for me....and their was no one to stand up for me.

> >

> > Has the government come after Kuch, Hank or Lexi? Oh, no, you just don't like people expressing opinions different than yours ... Which, ironically, is what you're whining about. Huh. Snowflake.

>

> How do you know what my opinion is? What I don't like is mob rule bending people over backwards to bow down to the political correctness throne when the examples I gave none had broken any law other than not being politically correct.

> @"North Texas" said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > Top “Lee” after round 1 is Andrea Lee, an American, at T7.

>

> Would be funny as **** if she won it. From Hermosa Beach and born in Los Angeles.

I know who I’m rooting for.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @tatertot said:

> > @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> > > @illum1na71 said:

> > > Acknowledging that a Korean golfer is more likely to win the US Open is not inherently racist. It's grouping them with the same last name and stereotyping a ethnicity is....

> >

> > Bull it's racist. Lee is the most common surname on the LPGA tour with 4 of the top 26 being Lee. There are more top players on that tour of Asian decent. It all makes statistical sense therefore it can't be racist.

>

> Does this sound "right" to you:

>

> I don't follow the NBA ... I bet a bunch of African-American guys will win the title though, and most of them will probably have tatoos. Probably won't be a white guy on the court most of the time.

>

>

> It's statistically accurate ... but if a talking head said it on sports radio, how long do you think they would be on the air? And for good reason. It's ignorant, shows a lack of understanding of culture and is out of place.

Based on the limited amount of NBA basketball I watch, most team demographics are predominantly African American and most regardless of race had tattoos. Would it be ignorant or exhibit a lack of cultural understanding to say that a bunch of white guys will win the Stanley Cup and most will be missing teeth?

Why is either statement ignorant if it's statistically accurate? Are some so sensitive and unable to accept the truth that making such statements must be avoided or labeled as racist, ignorant and out of place? Why is it okay the Democratic Mayor of NY can state his goal is to reduce the percentage of Asians in top NY high schools but Hank can't suggest that given the dominance of Koreans on the LPGA Tour one will win the US Open? There's a huge double standard in the media and it's going to blow up, I still stand by what I was told as a kid, it started with "Stick and stones..." , especially when it comes to things that are statistically accurate or factual.

• Like 2

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Still struggling with why Hank’s comments are racist. He said a Korean would probably win the U.S. Open and she might be a Lee. Could only think of Lexi and Michelle as American golfers. Sexist, huh...didn’t see him saying one thing about white or black males compared to LPGA golfers. His comments were just dumb, but once again an overreaction to very little. Even LPGA players have complained about how many Koreans are on tour and how many can’t speak English. Just a simple apology and that was dropped.

The best of all though was Sirius getting on their high horse. If I recall correctly their biggest source of pride is none other than Howard Stern whose history of demeaning women with his constant prying into their private lives with his “direct everyone wants to know” questioning (Oh I’m sorry doing an excellent job of interviewing as the BS goes). His history of racism making fun of Magic Johnson hosting a TV show and giggling up a storm about Arsenio Hall on his TV show was over the top. But I guess that was OK because his Word not allowed kissing sidekick robin would chuckle. Before he got religion after leaving terrestrial radio he would regularly get a giant chuckle out of gay people (along with Fred, Jackie, and Arte). Several less than nice comments about Cher’s daughter/son after changing.. Lots of snotty remarks about Bruce Jenner’s transformation about not a great looking woman with that big an Adam’s apple. Sirius the moral compass of the western world..I would also take the PGA a little more serious if they implemented a real drug testing program..

• Like 3

> @Pinging77 said:

> Still struggling with why Hank’s comments are racist. He said a Korean would probably win the U.S. Open and she might be a Lee. Could only think of Lexi and Michelle as American golfers. Sexist, huh...didn’t see him saying one thing about white or black males compared to LPGA golfers. His comments were just dumb, but once again an overreaction to very little. Even LPGA players have complained about how many Koreans are on tour and how many can’t speak English. Just a simple apology and that was dropped.

>

> The best of all though was Sirius getting on their high horse. If I recall correctly their biggest source of pride is none other than Howard Stern whose history of demeaning women with his constant prying into their private lives with his “direct everyone wants to know” questioning (Oh I’m sorry doing an excellent job of interviewing as the BS goes). His history of racism making fun of Magic Johnson hosting a TV show and giggling up a storm about Arsenio Hall on his TV show was over the top. But I guess that was OK because his Word not allowed kissing sidekick robin would chuckle. Before he got religion after leaving terrestrial radio he would regularly get a giant chuckle out of gay people (along with Fred, Jackie, and Arte). Several less than nice comments about Cher’s daughter/son after changing.. Lots of snotty remarks about Bruce Jenner’s transformation about not a great looking woman with that big an Adam’s apple. Sirius the moral compass of the western world..I would also take the PGA a little more serious if they implemented a real drug testing program..

Turns out that it was the PGA Tour that pressured Sirius XM to suspend Hank. Doesn’t sound like Sirius XM would have done it on its own.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I listen to Hank Haney just about every day, but Wednesday was the one day I missed because I was at the Memorial Tournament. Honestly, I don't know how I would've reacted had I heard that live on-air. I know Haney's cohort Steve Johnson issued an apology on-air when he said that none of the PGA Professionals would make the cut at the PGA Championship. And on Monday's show Johnson shared details about Kevin Na (who is of Korean descent) offering a 'unique' sponsorship deal to a fellow Korean golfer. And Haney's intro with the 'US Open Sucks' and then following it up with Mike Davis (who Haney affectionately calls 'the dictator') saying how much he enjoys the show, So they've been pushing the envelope for a while now.

> @puttfordoux said:

> I listen to Hank Haney just about every day, ... they've been pushing the envelope for a while now.

This is the root of the problem. I listen to Hank a lot, too, but he's gotten increasingly caustic over that last few months to the point that more than once I've had to turn him off. He's got very little support in the golf community and has gotten pretty marginalized. He was poised for a fall. Shackelford published a piece this morning that was supportive, but it was lukewarm.

IBTL

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

I follow both the LPGA and the PGA tours.

I knew the US Women's Open was this week and was looking forward to it.

I'm not offended when people play the old _"I have no clue what the LPGA is"_ tactic. How many times have we heard that? If that's how one wishes to present themselves that's there prerogative. I'm not into the NHL. I only vaguely know who's still in the NBA play-offs. I don't even know what "league" to cite when I tell you I'm not into soccer, LOL.

Fact is, I'm clueless about most sports when I survey what's happening out there. It would be wrong for NBA or NHL fans to get mad at me for not caring I suppose.

Am I slightly disappointed in fans of the PGA Tour here for not being more into the LPGA? It's hard to say. Obviously I find something there.

I feel like there's a contingent of "young guns" on both sides of the game, PGA and LPGA.

On the men's side you have Rory, JT, Rickie, Rahmbo, Brooks and numerous others. We all know what's happening with those guys.

On the women's side I enjoy following what's going on with Lydia, Brooke, Ariya (& Moriya), SHP, Minjee, Lexi and numerous others who are at the peak of their careers.

If you like golf, I don't really see how you wouldn't be interested in both sides. We're not talking about following the Web.com or KLPGA tours here.

The thing that makes this touchy is that there's some sense that the LPGA action gets ignored because it's women and a lot of men simply don't believe there's any value to women's sports.

My reaction to that is a question..._why does any sport matter, men's or women's_?

Watching women play golf you don't see 350-yd drives. That much is true. But if you put Tiger Woods in Minjee Lee's body you aren't getting 350-yd drives. There's simply an additional physical constraint that women face.

So I guess it comes down to whether you hold that against them or not. I don't. I find it to be a different "version" of the sport much like you might get with men playing old-school equipment or something.

So if the whole point is to figure out who possesses the mental fortitude to win and who's going to work the hardest to optimize their talent, why does it matter so long as the field is equal?

So as a "new school" man I don't find the LPGA to be inferior in the way that "old school" guys seem to portray it.

Old school men seem to view women as inferior in a lot of ways and slowly that's dying out. Having known a lot of uber-successful women over the years I can't imagine wanting to subvert their efforts for the sake of tradition.

So is it offensive that a lot of people don't watch the LPGA? No, offensive is the wrong word. Curious is a better word for it. I find the LPGA fresh and their coverage relaxing.

Is it offensive what Haney said? Only if you think he's suggesting that women (and/or their sports) are inferior.

Is Haney a bad guy? Probably not, but he seems really clueless here. How can someone so involved with the game not know the top players in the women's arena!? Surely he has female students at his schools, right?

We also have to consider that Haney wrote a tell-all book about a former student which kind of portrayed that guy in a weird light. That seemed like a poor move on his part.

So maybe Haney just isn't the greatest at not offending people?

• Like 1

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I listen to him everyday and while I admit he's not close to my favorite show I actually chuckled when him and Johnson were going back and forth. Guess I never realized what a racist and rude person I am. I learn something new everyday here.

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

> @lawsonman said:

> I listen to him everyday and while I admit he's not close to my favorite show I actually chuckled when him and Johnson were going back and forth. Guess I never realized what a racist and rude person I am. I learn something new everyday here.

Well...I don't know if I'd go around admitting that.

Seems that out of the world's population there are a few people that bother watching sports. Forgivable, I guess.

And of them there are a few rare ones that watch golf..._yuck_!

And of them there are a few nuts that watch women's golf..._omg_!

And of them there are a few that watch golf-related BS that isn't even golf..._what_!?

And of them there are a few dozen that listen to golf podcasts...wait, _that's a thing_!?

And of them there are a literally a couple that listen to..._get this_...Hank Haney!

The irony of all this is that at least the LPGA has a following. Haney's podcast was literally unknown to the world until...wait...this just in..._it still is_!

• Like 1

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Haney is a member of the PGA and their charter is to work daily to grow interest and participation in the game of golf. Put the racism and sexism on the side, are his comments truly helping to grow interest and participation in the game?

Will agree 100% that the LPGA isn't a major sport and is somewhat comparable to hockey in interest. However, the hockey announcers like Eddie Olczyk always know what's going on in hockey at the college level, internationally, etc. All Haney did with his comments is to show how little he truly knows about golf on a larger level and how little he cares about anything other than the PGA and making money. I'm willing to wager that at his teaching academies, there is a fair number of female instructors as well as students. How do you think they feel about their boss making those comments?

• Like 4