Life of a Conditional Web.com Member

GolfingBro

No his parents are not there.. :'( Wish we were, we are going to the 4th event in Lethbridge. His gf will be arriving however on Friday am in time to see him play. Ill be glued to the app...

For those that don't know there is a free PGA tour app that you can follow along scoring for any of the pga affiliated tours, you can favorite the McKenzie tour and Matthew, or whomever and get notifications of how they did and such. I love it.

i caddied all 4 days............ my player went 25+ holes two separate stretches without a bogey. and then at one point, 6 bogeys in 7 holes. go to an online probability calculator and figure that one out.

i was at the first tee when matt teed off on thursday. all i remember is it wasn't a good drive

jake knapp won. he looks like a potential mega-star down the road. has a greg norman-vibe. i am told he beat jamie sadlowski in the pga canada long drive competition last year. i think there were "getting it in the grid" issues. but still it was 365 or something like that.

i may be in kelowna in some capacity

> @theboypinoy said:

>

> > One thing I learned from that picture is that if you're a really good golfer your forehead is a lighter shade than your face.

> > Kinda weird how Doug Ghim isn't doing as well as some of the other guys.

> To be fair Doug Ghim turned pro later than some of the others. He just turned pro mid 2018, I think.

> This year, he's made 5/7 cuts and is 32nd on the Web.com 25. He's in a good spot as of now to have a chance to get a card for next year.

>

Seems that he is not as long as some of the guys out there. His scoring average suffers half a stroke compared to the top guys. Not sure if that's the whole picture but I'm sure it's part of it. He needs to go see GG and get scooshie!

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

Last week everything was a little off. This week is a new week and a beautiful one at that. Had some fun exploring with my girlfriend and after dropping her off at the airport I went out for a late evening 12 holes. Having the course to myself to practice and prepare is my favorite. Late evenings on the tour are the best time for that.

For anyone who is interested or wondering, Matthew is dealing with putting yips. They have come and gone for him over several years now but they have reared their ugly head this week. He is of course frustrated as he said the way he is ball striking this week he could be just putting -okay- and be 10 under. He has tried quite a few things, changing grip, looking at a different target and many other things I am sure. Its tough because at that level a few strokes just kills your round and as his mom, he doesn't deserve that. Yes I am bias. Anyway, that's the story, stupid, frustrating putting yips. If anyone has a miracle cure or an out of the box idea, feel free to share. Also he has spoken to mental trainers and the like so he is familiar with all that as well. Figuring out what is triggering this is the mystery.

• Like 1

Hello my forum followers. As you may have read from my moms post yesterday I have struggled with what I thought were the yips. I will get back to that in a bit so keep on reading!

Its challenging to post while at a tournament since the tournaments keep me so busy. Vancouver being the first event was last week. I flew in from SFO on a non stop flight and landed Sunday night. I had a billet who has caddied for me the last 3 years at Point Grey. Great guy and great host. He started as my randomly assigned caddy for 2016 and then has offered his place for 2017 and 2019. Monday we woke up and tried to go to the course but it was a Canadian Holiday so the tour players couldn't officially practice until noon. We went to a nearby country club to hit balls and putt for 2 hours in total. Then we went back to the course in the afternoon and played the back nine. I have played this course many times and didn't need to see all the holes. My iron game wasn't feeling great but I tried to tell myself it was. I tried to tweak some things on the range on Tuesday and then when playing the front nine on Wednesday...but it still felt off. I was managing my game until late and some of those bad swings i was getting during practice reared their head. I basically shot myself out of making the cut. I grinned on the range Thursday afternoon just trying to figure out something for Friday and then get it in gear for the next week in Victoria. I managed to figure something out and had a much better ball striking day Friday. Missed cut...So Saturday and Sunday my girlfriend and I got to explore Vancouver.

Monday morning 8 am ferry ride to Victoria BC. I had a 2 pm junior pro am for 18 holes that day. We got an appearance fee and i got a practice round as well. Swing was still a little off but I was working though it. Tuesday it clicked. Felt my arms a little more tucked and rotate with my upper body to get my "togetherness back". IT was great and Wednesday I finally had officially worked out my swing. Just took some time but I am very good at self correcting. Managed to hit all 18 greens in the first round but was fighting what I thought were yips. Second round managed a -2 and I was -3 and onto the weekend. Hit the ball great in the 3rd round but the putter failed me at the end and a devastating finish to the round. Basically I was in full panic mode. I was hitting the ball well enough to be closer to the top of the leaderboard but putting like a 10 handicap. I called my putting coach and explained the situation about thinking I have the "y" word which he didn't think I have. And guess what??? We learned that I had a physiological breakdown during the stroke that was contributing to bad putts and then that in turn was causing a psychological breakdown causing really really bad putts. My right arm was slightly extending through the hitting area leaving the face open. So today, the final round I hit the ball amazing once again and managed to have just a solid round of putting. Its still a work in progress and I know I don't have to hit the ball any better then I already do. I just have to putt and putt and putt.

I write this as I get ready for bed since I have a 530 am flight home. Travel day, laundry, and rest. Tuesday I get right back at it and in 8 days I leave for Kelowna and the next event.

• Like 2

Hats off? on a nice turnaround and finish!!

You were goin the wrong way after six yesterday and ya righted the ship, turned it around and moved up the board. You can always second guess, play the “what if” and think about putts that got away~

DON’T!!

Small victories lead to big and the biggest victory that you can take away from this past weekend is that you put to bed the negative demons in your heard that can be more deadly to one’s game than the physical maladies, and that’s the self doubt that occurs when ya step onto that green.

Regardless of what you tell others, you know the difference between KNOWING SO and HOPING SO.

Having known and spoken with four World Class Players who suffered from the yips, Sam, Tom Watson, David Duval & Mark O’Mara, and seen their strokes and anguish up close, all that I will say, and Sam, David and Tom said this to me, and that is, do not look for the yips in a bad putting drought or sudden decline in putts made, regardless of the distance(s) or direction(s). The yips will find you. I hope that that makes sense.

Sam & Tom, both of whom went on to win on Tour against the best Players on earth while dealing with their putting issues, though both believed that their putting woes, and both used the words yips, cost them myriad Major titles, Tom fully believing that his malady cost him at least 7-8 more Majors, including his runner-up finish in the ‘09 Open Championship at the age of 59yo, however he never spoke of it publicly, and unlike Sam, David and Mark, Tom refused to alter his grip, putter or natural stroke, looking at the issue as he does everything in his life, as just another obstacle or hurdle, which just required more discipline, more drive & more focus to overcome.

The point is, do not open the door of your mind to the possibility of the yips!! I don’t give a s*** who might tell ya otherwise. Another piece of advice that Sam gave me and Tom seconded that I’ve never forgotten and applied in every area of my life is to be very weary of taking advice from someone who has not “been there, done that.”

You are a fine putter, a world class Player and like your peers, you will have good days, great days, “meh” days and occasionally sh**** days on the green. But your fundamental stroke is fine. Guys fighting the yips don’t birdie 6 of 7 holes, Play three of four rounds of a Professional Tourney in the red, with the “bad” round being one over par or bounce back from a missed cut to being a few shots from a Top-10.

Very Nicely Played!!

Take the small victories, embrace them and use them to springboard you to where you want to go!!

All the Best Matthew?

Madison sends hugs and best wishes~

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend

RP

• Like 4

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• 2 weeks later...

Superbly Played round Matthew!!!

Keep climbing!!!

F*** these guys, Saturday is Yours!!

All the Best?

RIchard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Matthew - I know you're busy with the season - but grateful for an update if you get a few free minutes. Curious how you see things thus far in Canada...how's your game? Does tour seem much different from your last go-around? How have the courses been conditioning wise? Has your routine changed any since your last time on this tour? Is there any status changing? Sorry for all the questions - just fascinated by your journey and so grateful for your willingness to share!

Great comeback from that quad yesterday Matthew!!

I know exactly what ya were trying to do on it and sometimes you bite the dog and sometimes the dog bites you!

Most would’ve packed it in after that~

The fact that ya didn’t pack it in and instead dug in and grinded out to get back to even for the day shows a tremendous amount of focus, discipline and mental toughness!!

Very Nicely Played!!

All the Best this week?

RP

> @ryanpalm said:

> Hi Matthew - I know you're busy with the season - but grateful for an update if you get a few free minutes. Curious how you see things thus far in Canada...how's your game? Does tour seem much different from your last go-around? How have the courses been conditioning wise? Has your routine changed any since your last time on this tour? Is there any status changing? Sorry for all the questions - just fascinated by your journey and so grateful for your willingness to share!

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for the question since I'm sure a lot others on here want to know the same thing.

The Canadian season is 4 events through which is 1.3 of the way completed. ITs a very quick season and demands great play early since there is no time to get in a rhythm. You hear of guys on the Korn Ferry Tour (Web) miss 15 cuts and then win. Cant do that. I've made 3 of 4 cuts but haven't shot low enough on Thursday or Fridays to get in contention and then my Saturdays have been just ehhh. My game has been very solid for either 18 holes, a 9 hole stretch or two rounds in four rounds of the tournament. I need to put 4 good rounds together. My putting, ball striking and short game is good enough to win when it all comes together.

The positive notes have been the following:

In Kelowna I got the bad draw (a windy afternoon round while the other wave didn't have to deal with it). I had to play well Friday morning to make the cut and shot a -5 and then a -4 Saturday to be in a good place going into Sunday. Sunday wasn't my day but that happens.

In Lethbridge I got the bad draw again (crazy wind and having to finish my second round on Saturday) Saturday morning I got up needing to shoot -3 on the back 9 to make the cut in 10-15 mph wind and I shot -4. Great way to make the cut when it mattered. I didn't do much on the weekend except not giving up after a second hole quadruple bogey. Never give up is my way since every dollar matters.

The tour being different:

The only difference on the tour compared to years past is that I'm no longer the young one and that the competition is even better then it was just 3 years ago.

Course conditions:

The course conditions are really dependent on the weather and the winters in Canada. So far every course has been spectacular and green speeds are almost the exact same each week. Firm greens and long rough are a courses only defense up in Canada.

Routines:

My routine on courses I have seen focuses more on practicing and being well rested. The rest of the year we play new courses for me so I make sure to get at least 18 holes in and then try to get another 9 holes in as well to learn the course. Thankfully I can learn a golf course very quickly, its one of my strengths.

The only issue this year from previous years is money. In the previous years I was still on sponsorship money. I was able to go out more and not have to share cars or Airbnbs and not do as many of the extra pro ams or events for money. This year I'm trying to do as much as possible to make and save money since I am using my own. Here is an example of saving money for my next trip:

July 1st I fly to Detroit for the Windsor event using Southwest points. I then drive across the border and share an Airbnb at Windsor and then drive the 3 hours to Toronto and do the same thing that week. After Toronto I drive back to Detroit to fly to Halifax where I will again share an Airbnb and a car with a buddy. After that I fly home. I rarely eat out and if I do its usually at the cheapest yet healthiest places I can find. I am a great deal finder and penny pincher. Thats an example of what I have to do.

> @Forged4ever said:

> Great comeback from that quad yesterday Matthew!!

>

> I know exactly what ya were trying to do on it and sometimes you bite the dog and sometimes the dog bites you!

>

> Most would’ve packed it in after that~

>

> The fact that ya didn’t pack it in and instead dug in and grinded out to get back to even for the day shows a tremendous amount of focus, discipline and mental toughness!!

>

> Very Nicely Played!!

>

> All the Best this week?

> RP

>

>

Thank you!

Thanks Matt for the feedback - most appreciated! Keep it up - seems like you're not far away from getting it all together! Grateful for all your updates and following along closely each tournament.

> @GolfingBro said:

> > @ryanpalm said:

> > Hi Matthew - I know you're busy with the season - but grateful for an update if you get a few free minutes. Curious how you see things thus far in Canada...how's your game? Does tour seem much different from your last go-around? How have the courses been conditioning wise? Has your routine changed any since your last time on this tour? Is there any status changing? Sorry for all the questions - just fascinated by your journey and so grateful for your willingness to share!

>

>

> Hi Ryan,

>

> Thank you for the question since I'm sure a lot others on here want to know the same thing.

>

> The Canadian season is 4 events through which is 1.3 of the way completed. ITs a very quick season and demands great play early since there is no time to get in a rhythm. You hear of guys on the Korn Ferry Tour (Web) miss 15 cuts and then win. Cant do that. I've made 3 of 4 cuts but haven't shot low enough on Thursday or Fridays to get in contention and then my Saturdays have been just ehhh. My game has been very solid for either 18 holes, a 9 hole stretch or two rounds in four rounds of the tournament. I need to put 4 good rounds together. My putting, ball striking and short game is good enough to win when it all comes together.

>

> The positive notes have been the following:

> In Kelowna I got the bad draw (a windy afternoon round while the other wave didn't have to deal with it). I had to play well Friday morning to make the cut and shot a -5 and then a -4 Saturday to be in a good place going into Sunday. Sunday wasn't my day but that happens.

>

> In Lethbridge I got the bad draw again (crazy wind and having to finish my second round on Saturday) Saturday morning I got up needing to shoot -3 on the back 9 to make the cut in 10-15 mph wind and I shot -4. Great way to make the cut when it mattered. I didn't do much on the weekend except not giving up after a second hole quadruple bogey. Never give up is my way since every dollar matters.

>

>

> The tour being different:

> The only difference on the tour compared to years past is that I'm no longer the young one and that the competition is even better then it was just 3 years ago.

>

> Course conditions:

> The course conditions are really dependent on the weather and the winters in Canada. So far every course has been spectacular and green speeds are almost the exact same each week. Firm greens and long rough are a courses only defense up in Canada.

>

> Routines:

> My routine on courses I have seen focuses more on practicing and being well rested. The rest of the year we play new courses for me so I make sure to get at least 18 holes in and then try to get another 9 holes in as well to learn the course. Thankfully I can learn a golf course very quickly, its one of my strengths.

>

> The only issue this year from previous years is money. In the previous years I was still on sponsorship money. I was able to go out more and not have to share cars or Airbnbs and not do as many of the extra pro ams or events for money. This year I'm trying to do as much as possible to make and save money since I am using my own. Here is an example of saving money for my next trip:

>

> July 1st I fly to Detroit for the Windsor event using Southwest points. I then drive across the border and share an Airbnb at Windsor and then drive the 3 hours to Toronto and do the same thing that week. After Toronto I drive back to Detroit to fly to Halifax where I will again share an Airbnb and a car with a buddy. After that I fly home. I rarely eat out and if I do its usually at the cheapest yet healthiest places I can find. I am a great deal finder and penny pincher. Thats an example of what I have to do.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Here in Winnipeg for another Mackenzie Tour event. Yesterday I played the course for the first time in a secondary pro am. Each week on the tour they have an ''official pro am" for the top guys on the order of merit. They also occasionally offer secondary pro ams which are either held on the tournament course or an outside course. So since Tuesday, today, the course was closed I decided to play the secondary pro am yesterday. Great course and lots of birdie opportunities.

Today, since the course is closed a lot of guys practice or see the city, I like to play another outside course. That is what I did. I just finished playing the most private club in Winnipeg called St Charles CC. It was a good day and made some good putts. Tomorrow I play a practice round and tighten up whatever I feel needs tightening up.

Round 1 is 830 and Round 2 is 130

• Like 1