Sacramento courses

Forme001

Darkhorse in Auburn. My favorite in the area.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* // LA Golf DJ Series 65 (5)
TM Stealth Plus 13.5* // Ventus Black 6x
Callaway Uwood 19* // Ventus Blue 7s
4i - Callaway Rogue ST Pro // Mitsubishi MMT 105tx

5i-PW - NCW // Mitsubishi MMT 105tx
Vokey SM8 52.12F S300
Vokey SM8 56.14F S200
Vokey SM8 60.14K S200
Odyssey 2 ball ten
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

> @commoditybroker said:

> Darkhorse in Auburn. My favorite in the area.

Darkhorse is a beautiful layout, but my experience has been that the course conditions have been less then stellar. The bunkers have not been great, and I feel the overall management has been lacking the last few years. Far too many stories start out with, " I got to the first green and realized that they had just been punched. No mention at all by the pro shop or staff and no apology offered." Granted you can play there for $30 if you look around for a tee time, so at that price point it might be considered a bargain. If I had one round to play and money wasn't part of the equation I would probably go with The Ridge on a similar price point, but Winchester is a superior course in the area, but you will be paying 4x the cost to play there.

Yocha is a fantastic course in terms of shape, generous fairways, not a lot of trouble to get into. Ancil is not in the same shape as Yocha, but is a tougher test of your golf game. Ancil is tough in every way, but is not unfair. Narrow fairways with bigger greens and larger fairways with smaller greens, a very good test. Cherry island is only 6500Y but is a great track with a layout that challenges you to hit all kinds of shots. Cherry isn't always in the best shape, but the greens usually run pretty nice due to low traffic. Auburn Valley is probably my favorite course, but its in worse shape every month it seems like. Will be a sad day if AV ever closes

> @mizzyplayer said:

> Yocha is a fantastic course in terms of shape, generous fairways, not a lot of trouble to get into. Ancil is not in the same shape as Yocha, but is a tougher test of your golf game. Ancil is tough in every way, but is not unfair. Narrow fairways with bigger greens and larger fairways with smaller greens, a very good test. Cherry island is only 6500Y but is a great track with a layout that challenges you to hit all kinds of shots. Cherry isn't always in the best shape, but the greens usually run pretty nice due to low traffic. Auburn Valley is probably my favorite course, but its in worse shape every month it seems like. Will be a sad day if AV ever closes

Agree with you there. Course conditions can get dicey, especially as we approach the hot summer months here in the valley. All that being said if someone was traveling to the area for just one round and didn't have access to private courses I would send them to Yocha, Winchester, then probably Catta Vedera. In that order, assuming money was not an issue.

> @Dsevans8 said:

> > @mizzyplayer said:

> > Yocha is a fantastic course in terms of shape, generous fairways, not a lot of trouble to get into. Ancil is not in the same shape as Yocha, but is a tougher test of your golf game. Ancil is tough in every way, but is not unfair. Narrow fairways with bigger greens and larger fairways with smaller greens, a very good test. Cherry island is only 6500Y but is a great track with a layout that challenges you to hit all kinds of shots. Cherry isn't always in the best shape, but the greens usually run pretty nice due to low traffic. Auburn Valley is probably my favorite course, but its in worse shape every month it seems like. Will be a sad day if AV ever closes

>

> Agree with you there. Course conditions can get dicey, especially as we approach the hot summer months here in the valley. All that being said if someone was traveling to the area for just one round and didn't have access to private courses I would send them to Yocha, Winchester, then probably Catta Vedera. In that order, assuming money was not an issue.

Its been a few years since I've been to Winchester, before they killed all the greens, but I've heard they are in great shape. I would agree that there is probably not a better bet than Yocha. I think that only courses that compete with Yocha are in the Truckee area, like Old Greenwood and Gray's Crossing. Catta is damn good and probably where I would join first if I lived close enough. I live 5 minutes from Ancil, so its a no brainer, I just wish they were in better shape.

Wow re DarkHorse. Hopefully this bodes well for its future condition. Course has great bones.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* // LA Golf DJ Series 65 (5)
TM Stealth Plus 13.5* // Ventus Black 6x
Callaway Uwood 19* // Ventus Blue 7s
4i - Callaway Rogue ST Pro // Mitsubishi MMT 105tx

5i-PW - NCW // Mitsubishi MMT 105tx
Vokey SM8 52.12F S300
Vokey SM8 56.14F S200
Vokey SM8 60.14K S200
Odyssey 2 ball ten
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

> @commoditybroker said:

> Wow re DarkHorse. Hopefully this bodes well for its future condition. Course has great bones.

I love Darkhorse so it would make me really happy if they repaired the bunkers. They are so bad I will not challenge the pin unless I absolutely love the yardage. I moved last weekend so this Saturday I am treating myself to playing Coyote Moon and Old Greenwood.

> @Dsevans8 said:

> @oldmotor When did Darkhorse sell? I feel like it's been sold a couple times in the last 6 years and was supposed to be upgraded. Do you know who purchased it? Couldn't find any info online. Thanks

I was at the Ridge playing earlier this week and that was all the talk from the guys that play there. I just heard them talking about it.

> @oldmotor said:

> > @Dsevans8 said:

> > @oldmotor When did Darkhorse sell? I feel like it's been sold a couple times in the last 6 years and was supposed to be upgraded. Do you know who purchased it? Couldn't find any info online. Thanks

>

> I was at the Ridge playing earlier this week and that was all the talk from the guys that play there. I just heard them talking about it.

>

>

Interesting... I really hope that it was sold and that they are able to put the money into that is necessary. I think it is a beautiful course and fun layout, and it's a shame that course conditions have suffered the way they have.

• 3 weeks later...

> Interesting... I really hope that it was sold and that they are able to put the money into that is necessary. I think it is a beautiful course and fun layout, and it's a shame that course conditions have suffered the way they have.

Here is what one of the members at my home course shared with us. He apparently contacted the new owner.

Hey Guys…

I actually have had the opportunity to exchange emails with the new Darkhorse owner, Randy. He indicated that are hopeful to have most of the deferred maintenance addressed by the end of Summer and start focusing on the next phase of work – opening a restaurant and brewery/tap room at Darkhorse. Here’s a little of what he shared with me:

We are more of a logging operation right now than a golf operation. A decade of neglect has left dozens of old dead trees on the course that require removal. Cart path bridges are destroyed and all need replacement. Pumps that operate streams and rivers all need replacement or installation. The golf course was actually never completed in 2002. We have completed or repairs several pumps already and have streams and waterfalls working now that nobody has ever seen at Darkhorse. Stone stairways to tee boxes that nobody knew existed. The list goes on.

I expect the work to take months not weeks. Closing the course was the only option available. We couldn't see a way to work golfers through the mess.

By the end of the summer we should have a good handle on things and be ready to move onto the next phase of work which does include the opening of a restaurant and brewery / tap room on the property.

So, while it may take awhile, it all sounds very promising that Darkhorse will be a much improved golfing destination. Hopefully, the course can reopen by late/end of Summer. And who knows, maybe 2020 will mark the year a real clubhouse restaurant breaks ground.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am from Sac originally and I was a member at

Del Paso and it is the best course in a 50 mile radius. I heard they recently lowered the initiation and dues. If you can swing it that’s the spot. They have had Senior tour events there in the past. I also like Serrano in Eldorado hills and Winchester country club up past auburn.

• 1 month later...

> @mark174ace said:

> The renovations look good at Darkhorse. They have been overhauling the bunkers and in the process lining them with that capillary concrete. They have posted some photo and video updates on their twitter page.

Yeah I saw those videos... I called and they said $89 and only open Saturday and Sunday for the next few months. I'm excited to give it a try once it opens back up full time.

They are punching the greens this week according to the website so probably best to stay for a couple of weeks. I am going to wait until all the renovations are complete before I play there. It has always been my favorite course within an hour of Sac regardless of the conditions, but with the renovations it should be awesome.

The condition of the bunkers has always held Darkhorse back. I always played away from the bunkers unless I really like the yardage to the hole. It was almost a double penalty being in most of the bunkers just like Castle Oaks.

• 4 weeks later...

I decided I couldn't wait and I played Darkhorse today. I'm a weak man!!!! Almost all of the bunkers have been lined with the capillary concrete. They have filled all the bunkers on 9 & 10 and the big fairway bunker in the middle of the fairway on #2. The sand they are using is the super primo fantastic white sand the nice courses in Monterrey use. They are getting weekly shipments of sand and it will probably be a while before every bunker is completed. Course itself was in nice shape and they have also sodded and leveled a couple of tee boxes that needed help.

The only downside right now is if your ball lands on the fly in one of the bunkers lined with the concrete your ball may get damaged and bounce anywhere. A guy I was playing with pulled his ball into the left side far bunker on the par 3 3rd hole and it bounced a mile high and landed on the back right fringe of the green 15-20 feet from the hole haha. For now all those bunkers with just concrete are a free lift. Don't be a hero and break your wrist!!!!!

They are going to turn the cart barn area into an area where people can sit and enjoy the view of the Lake of the Pines. I do not know all the details about how that is going to work out. Sounds like that may be the back deck of the restaurant, but I really do not have any details.

If you are a skilled enough golfer where you do not hit many bunkers it may be worth playing right now. I only would have been in one bunker today under normal conditions so no big deal. Course will be awesome when completed.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the area. I played Darkhorse a few times years back. It was a legit test and a nice course. Challenging. Haven't played it for several years now, though.

I'm at Northridge CC, and I can honestly say this place is the biggest sleeper in the region. Many locals don't even know it's here but it was built, I think, back in the 50s. It was recently rebuilt by RTJ Jr. and it's the real deal. A very well-kept secret from some reason. Have been a member here for a couple years now and when I play local public tracks they are substantially easier. Robert Trent Jones II really put some teeth into our track. The trees are huge. Bunkers are pristine. Greens are fantastic, and a true test. Love this place and it's a lovely parkland course. We are located right in the metropolitan area, just east of downtown Sacramento. Love this place.

I have not played Yocha Dehe yet. Looking forward to it. Winchester is really a lot of fun and I recommend it.

My favorite course that I have played was just south of here about an hour and only lasted a few years as the locals banded against it. Trinitas. That course was very special - a course built by an olive orchard owner that laid naturally on the land. It was amazing. Sure miss it...

• Like 1

> @BeerPerHole said:

> I live in the area. I played Darkhorse a few times years back. It was a legit test and a nice course. Challenging. Haven't played it for several years now, though.

>

> I'm at Northridge CC, and I can honestly say this place is the biggest sleeper in the region. Many locals don't even know it's here but it was built, I think, back in the 50s. It was recently rebuilt by RTJ Jr. and it's the real deal. A very well-kept secret from some reason. Have been a member here for a couple years now and when I play local public tracks they are substantially easier. Robert Trent Jones II really put some teeth into our track. The trees are huge. Bunkers are pristine. Greens are fantastic, and a true test. Love this place and it's a lovely parkland course. We are located right in the metropolitan area, just east of downtown Sacramento. Love this place.

>

> I have not played Yocha Dehe yet. Looking forward to it. Winchester is really a lot of fun and I recommend it.

>

> My favorite course that I have played was just south of here about an hour and only lasted a few years as the locals banded against it. Trinitas. That course was very special - a course built by an olive orchard owner that laid naturally on the land. It was amazing. Sure miss it...

I have heard nothing but amazing things about Northridge CC, my buddy who played it last year said he preferred it to Del Paso. I'm a member of Peach Tree CC in Marysville, beautiful track and probably one of the most playable during the winter here as it is situated on the sandy river bottom soil and drains so well. There are so many great courses in the Sacramento area, it's really a great place to get some golf in and enjoy the beauty in the area.

• 4 weeks later...

> @toddmanley said:

> Any good tracks to play on the south side of town between Sac and Stockton? I'm in the area this weekend and looking for something closer to Elk Grove.

Spanos Park in Stockton is pretty decent. The last time I played there some of the greens were getting pretty banged up.