Cobra King forged CB/MB

QuigleyDU

> @cadman88 said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > I just worry about the very compact head. I think it may be the smallest out there.

>

> I currently play Adams XTD Forged irons (I have 3 sets..) and I didn't find the 2019 Cobra MB's that hard to hit.. they are not as small as you'd think, but I'm also waiting to see and hit the Ping Blueprints before I more on either of them.

I have hit them a bunch, well at least the 7 iron. They are pretty much the same size as the blueprints. Just a different toe shape.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Been wavering on these for some time now. I have hit both the 2016 and the 2019 versions. Best looking iron in golf, IMO. Feel and performance is solid. I'm left handed so my options are slim to pretty much none in terms of any hope of finding a used set. Would be coming from a set of VR Pro combos.

10.5˚ TaylorMade Stealth Plus

18° Titleist TSR2 5 Wood

21° Titleist TSR2 7 Wood

4-PW Titleist T100s Black

50˚ Titleist SM8 Black

54˚ Titleist SM8 Black

60˚ Titleist SM8 Black

Bettinardi Hive 8.0

Bridgestone Tour B-XS

> @firstbatch said:

> I did happen upon a ‘19 mb gap wedge (50 deg) at golf galaxay used rack which was like new for $45. Been comparing it against my 50 deg ping stealth which has been money. So far it’s virtually identical except it seems like the compact cobra gets thru the ruff a little easier. So Zprime got me thinking maybe pick up some mb’s in 8-pw and build a back up set ?

Damn I thought I was the only playing the Gap MB lol. My 25% Black Friday custom order was a steal but $40...Well done mate

• Like 1

> @Golfingfanatic said:

> > @dmeeksDC said:

> > > @Golfingfanatic said:

> > > > @cadman88 said:

> > > > > @edgerat said:

> > > > > JUMP!!!! https://www.golfdiscount.com/cobra-king-satin-pro-forged-mb-cb-irons

> > > >

> > > > Those are the older version with no tungsten weight in the sole.. they had them in black for a while as well as the satin. The 2019 version is not being offered in satin as of yet.

> > >

> > > Still an ok deal I'd say. They have some tungsten in the toe, but none in the sole. That's the only difference. KBS shafts has me more worried. Bent tips are still a thing, aren't they?

> >

> > No, they really aren’t a thing. Have personally never had one bend. An urban legend borne of someone saying some CTaper tips bent years ago. Probably someone who likes a competitor’s shaft. Tons of pro golfers play KBS shafts. And any tip could bend if you slam it into something hard enough. I have seen Project X and DG shafts with bent tips. Bad golfers do break things. But the notion that KBS has a design flaw that causes them to bend easily is completely false.

> >

> >

>

> There are quite a few threads on WRX about KBS shafts bending. A bit more than an urban legend I'd say.

Oh I know. Not arguing that. But wrxers also create many urban legends and then perpetuate them for years. A bent tip does not mean it can only have one cause. I don’t doubt tips have bent, but I do think it is anecdotal and I also think if it did happen, it was a batch or a correctable supply issue, not a reason to avoid the C Taper shaft forever (which is almost always the ‘problem’ KBS shaft cited, not the Tour or $ Taper.) I’ve played so many of them and had them pulled to put in new heads and none have bent. Who can attribute a bent tip to absolutely, definitely a flaw? Also could be operator error. It is possible to bend the tip of any shaft if you slam it into the ground hard enough.

There are plenty of pros on every tour playing KBS shafts, so they’re clearly not seeing any issue with the tips and if there were problems, they would not play them. That is stronger evidence to me, so all I am saying is I would not avoid KBS shafts due to posts on golfwrx. It is basically the internet of golf. A lot of information and misinformation, so you always need to see for yourself. The $Taper is an excellent shaft and for my game has been a great one, just like DG 120 and PX Rifles and the Nippon 125. I’m no loyalist when it comes to golf shafts!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

> @dmeeksDC said:

> There are plenty of pros on every tour playing KBS shafts, so they’re clearly not seeing any issue with the tips and if there were problems, they would not play them.

This is somewhat ironic considering the recent story of Stricker at The Memorial, and his KBS Prototype shafts. :)

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I went all CB with the $tapers 5-gw, felt like I needed any help I could get even if marginal and/or placebo. The lower CG and wider sole is more forgiving to my mind at least! Best looking irons around IMO, and the finish is really durable. I am 25 rounds in with them and they still clean up looking close to new.

I also added a forged tec black 4 iron and this set is going to stick for a long time.

• Like 1

Driver:  TSi3 10* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Fairway: TSi2 14.25* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Hybrid | Utility: TSi2 19* w/ AD IZ 95x | P790 UDI w/ KBS PGI 100

Irons: P7 Combo (790 4i, 770 5-7i, MC 8-p)

Wedges: SM7 52 F, 58 M w/ Modus 125S

Putter:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

> @cadman88 said:

> I'm thinking either a full set of Cobra MB's or a set of the Ping Blueprints. I've only hit the Cobra's but I was very impressed with them.

I think you might be disappointed when you hit the Blueprints. I hit them against the TWs, the TWs are harder than the cobras and the Blueprints I feel are way harder than the TWs. I could very much tolerate the TWs but no way would I buy the Pings.

Titleist 915 D3 8.5* W/ Fujikura Speeder Pro74, set at A1
Titleist 915 FD 15* W/ Diamana 70 Whiteboard, set A1
Mizuno MP4 3-P W/ Nippon Modus3 130X
Mizuno T5 50*, 54*, 58* 50 & 54 with Modus 130x and 58 with Modus wedge 125x
Byron Morgan 006 GSS

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @giogolf said:

> > I hate that i got involved in this thread.. Now I want a set of Cobra CB

> >

>

> jump off the bridge with me...

I may join you on the bridge .....

D- Ping G410 SFT - Oban Iwasa 04 

3Wd - Ping G425 SFT - Ping Tour Stiff 

4# Srixon ZX5 Tour AD DI 95 Stiff

5+6# Srixon ZX5 - MMT 105 S

7-PW# Srixon ZX7 - MMT 105 S

50 - Vokey SM8

56 - TM MG3 Tiger Spec

P- Betti Queen B #12

> @KeithM38 said:

> > @cadman88 said:

> > I'm thinking either a full set of Cobra MB's or a set of the Ping Blueprints. I've only hit the Cobra's but I was very impressed with them.

>

> I think you might be disappointed when you hit the Blueprints. I hit them against the TWs, the TWs are harder than the cobras and the Blueprints I feel are way harder than the TWs. I could very much tolerate the TWs but no way would I buy the Pings.

I've been hearing this regarding the Blueprints. So disappointing to hear... I have been anxiously awaiting PING to release these irons, but was really turned off when I saw the use of "forged" 8620 carbon steel... Also, their price with any sort of upcharge shaft is Miura level. I might one day try the Blueprints, but I am very hesitant to pull the trigger on a $2,000+ set of irons that don't even feel that good when struck.

However, I disagree with some above posters saying the Cobra MB's feel hard. I was hitting them yesterday with C-Taper 120 stiff shafts, and it literally felt like hitting a marshmallow. Incredibly soft and solid feel (to me).

• Like 1

Every attempt Ping has made at a forged iron has been clicky. I’m not surprised to hear the Blueprints feel this way. The Cobras are as good if not better than anything out there. Im a huge Ping fan just not a fan of there forged efforts.

YMMV

• Like 1

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

> @tgoodspe1991 said:

> > @KeithM38 said:

> > > @cadman88 said:

> > > I'm thinking either a full set of Cobra MB's or a set of the Ping Blueprints. I've only hit the Cobra's but I was very impressed with them.

> >

> > I think you might be disappointed when you hit the Blueprints. I hit them against the TWs, the TWs are harder than the cobras and the Blueprints I feel are way harder than the TWs. I could very much tolerate the TWs but no way would I buy the Pings.

>

> I've been hearing this regarding the Blueprints. So disappointing to hear... I have been anxiously awaiting PING to release these irons, but was really turned off when I saw the use of "forged" 8620 carbon steel... Also, their price with any sort of upcharge shaft is Miura level. I might one day try the Blueprints, but I am very hesitant to pull the trigger on a $2,000+ set of irons that don't even feel that good when struck.

>

> However, I disagree with some above posters saying the Cobra MB's feel hard. I was hitting them yesterday with C-Taper 120 stiff shafts, and it literally felt like hitting a marshmallow. Incredibly soft and solid feel (to me).

I didn't think the blueprints felt hard and solid strikes. I just think that with it being pretty small your margin for error is also very small. I am also not a fan of the DG 120 shaft. I think that is also contributing to a less than stellar feel. With a decent shaft and middle strike, they feel as good as anything out there. They feel the exact same as anything forged out of 1020. 8620 and 1020 are the exact same on a hardness scale so you wouldnt be able to tell the difference.

• Like 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @tgoodspe1991 said:

> > > @KeithM38 said:

> > > > @cadman88 said:

> > > > I'm thinking either a full set of Cobra MB's or a set of the Ping Blueprints. I've only hit the Cobra's but I was very impressed with them.

> > >

> > > I think you might be disappointed when you hit the Blueprints. I hit them against the TWs, the TWs are harder than the cobras and the Blueprints I feel are way harder than the TWs. I could very much tolerate the TWs but no way would I buy the Pings.

> >

> > I've been hearing this regarding the Blueprints. So disappointing to hear... I have been anxiously awaiting PING to release these irons, but was really turned off when I saw the use of "forged" 8620 carbon steel... Also, their price with any sort of upcharge shaft is Miura level. I might one day try the Blueprints, but I am very hesitant to pull the trigger on a $2,000+ set of irons that don't even feel that good when struck.

> >

> > However, I disagree with some above posters saying the Cobra MB's feel hard. I was hitting them yesterday with C-Taper 120 stiff shafts, and it literally felt like hitting a marshmallow. Incredibly soft and solid feel (to me).

>

> I didn't think the blueprints felt hard and solid strikes. I just think that with it being pretty small your margin for error is also very small. I am also not a fan of the DG 120 shaft. I think that is also contributing to a less than stellar feel. With a decent shaft and middle strike, they feel as good as anything out there. They feel the exact same as anything forged out of 1020. 8620 and 1020 are the exact same on a hardness scale so you wouldnt be able to tell the difference.

They are? I thought I read 8620 is harder and more durable which is why most OEM's use it in wedges, and I'm sure why PING uses it as they are known for their durability.

> @tgoodspe1991 said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > @tgoodspe1991 said:

> > > > @KeithM38 said:

> > > > > @cadman88 said:

> > > > > I'm thinking either a full set of Cobra MB's or a set of the Ping Blueprints. I've only hit the Cobra's but I was very impressed with them.

> > > >

> > > > I think you might be disappointed when you hit the Blueprints. I hit them against the TWs, the TWs are harder than the cobras and the Blueprints I feel are way harder than the TWs. I could very much tolerate the TWs but no way would I buy the Pings.

> > >

> > > I've been hearing this regarding the Blueprints. So disappointing to hear... I have been anxiously awaiting PING to release these irons, but was really turned off when I saw the use of "forged" 8620 carbon steel... Also, their price with any sort of upcharge shaft is Miura level. I might one day try the Blueprints, but I am very hesitant to pull the trigger on a $2,000+ set of irons that don't even feel that good when struck.

> > >

> > > However, I disagree with some above posters saying the Cobra MB's feel hard. I was hitting them yesterday with C-Taper 120 stiff shafts, and it literally felt like hitting a marshmallow. Incredibly soft and solid feel (to me).

> >

> > I didn't think the blueprints felt hard and solid strikes. I just think that with it being pretty small your margin for error is also very small. I am also not a fan of the DG 120 shaft. I think that is also contributing to a less than stellar feel. With a decent shaft and middle strike, they feel as good as anything out there. They feel the exact same as anything forged out of 1020. 8620 and 1020 are the exact same on a hardness scale so you wouldnt be able to tell the difference.

>

> They are? I thought I read 8620 is harder and more durable which is why most OEM's use it in wedges, and I'm sure why PING uses it as they are known for their durability.

not harder, just more wear resistant due to additional alloys.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

SO I went Cobra MB's but they had the arrcos in the grip, so I regripped them and swing wieght fell down to D0.5... Now these irons are laed taped as I am not a fan of tip weights of more than a couple gram...

• Like 1

PING G430 Max 8 degree (digitally lofted) TR Blue 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D4 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

> @Wardonation said:

> SO I went Cobra MB's but they had the arrcos in the grip, so I regripped them and swing wieght fell down to D0.5... Now these irons are laed taped as I am not a fan of tip weights of more than a couple gram...

Yeah the Cobra Arrcos grips at .25" in length. If you regrip them then you're going to lose that length and lose swing weight. Best to order straight from Cobra without those grips because they will then properly adjust everything.

> @Wardonation said:

> SO I went Cobra MB's but they had the arrcos in the grip, so I regripped them and swing wieght fell down to D0.5... Now these irons are laed taped as I am not a fan of tip weights of more than a couple gram...

I see on their website that the Steel Length specs w/Connect grip are +1/4" longer than those without them. I noticed that their 5 iron is 38.25" / 38.50" @ D2... now I'm thinking of ordering mine without the connect grip so that if I want to change out my grips later I won't have the swing weight issues you have. Thoughts..?

EDIT.. I see post above states same..

> @cadman88 said:

> > @Wardonation said:

> > SO I went Cobra MB's but they had the arrcos in the grip, so I regripped them and swing wieght fell down to D0.5... Now these irons are laed taped as I am not a fan of tip weights of more than a couple gram...

>

> I see on their website that the Steel Length specs w/Connect grip are +1/4" longer than those without them. I noticed that their 5 iron is 38.25" / 38.50" @ D2... now I'm thinking of ordering mine without the connect grip so that if I want to change out my grips later I won't have the swing weight issues you have. Thoughts..?

>

> EDIT.. I see post above states same..

Definitely order it without the Cobra Connect grip. You'll get the club swing weighted properly and can exchange grips freely without worrying.

> @tgoodspe1991 said:

> > @cadman88 said:

> > > @Wardonation said:

> > > SO I went Cobra MB's but they had the arrcos in the grip, so I regripped them and swing wieght fell down to D0.5... Now these irons are laed taped as I am not a fan of tip weights of more than a couple gram...

> >

> > I see on their website that the Steel Length specs w/Connect grip are +1/4" longer than those without them. I noticed that their 5 iron is 38.25" / 38.50" @ D2... now I'm thinking of ordering mine without the connect grip so that if I want to change out my grips later I won't have the swing weight issues you have. Thoughts..?

> >

> > EDIT.. I see post above states same..

>

> Definitely order it without the Cobra Connect grip. You'll get the club swing weighted properly and can exchange grips freely without worrying.

Certainly makes the most sense to me.. thanks..!

I really like these cobras but, I have to wait and see what mizuno comes out with... I just have too.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Swing weight question. I have CB/MB that had Arrcos and I changed them Midsized. I don’t mind the .25 shorter but will a change in swing weight really make much difference? They feel fine (haven’t played hem yet) but does the altered swing weight effect anything other than how they feel? I’ve never been much of a swing weight guy and just curious to how it effects performance

Cobra F9 44.75” Daytona Speeder S.  
Cobra F9 3w Atmos Blue S 
Mizuno 5W JPX 900 Blue S
Titleist T100S w DG 105 4-PW

Miura K2.0 54, 60. SM9 black 50
Odyssey 7 ch 

> @ZPrime said:

> Swing weight question. I have CB/MB that had Arrcos and I changed them Midsized. I don’t mind the .25 shorter but will a change in swing weight really make much difference? They feel fine (haven’t played hem yet) but does the altered swing weight effect anything other than how they feel? I’ve never been much of a swing weight guy and just curious to how it effects performance

Swingweight will most noticeably change the feel of a golf club when swung because you're changing the balance of the club when measured as a fulcrum. Grip your club normally it feels one way, if you flip it around and grip it with the head in your hands and the grip at the bottom, it feels insanely light. The club weight didn't change, but the balance of where that weight is changed in relation to how you're holding the club.

Swingweight will also have a very marginal effect on the flex of a shaft, but I don't think that's really not something to be concerned with.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @arobbins3 said:

> > Well.... I took the jump off the bridge!

> >

> > g6wa2h63mi39.jpg

> > da6go1ddqedw.jpg

> >

>

> Look good

Awesome!!!

BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @arobbins3 said:

> > > Well.... I took the jump off the bridge!

> > >

> > > g6wa2h63mi39.jpg

> > > da6go1ddqedw.jpg

> > >

> >

> > Look good

>

> Awesome!!!

What shaft? I really want these with the $ tapper.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

For those who had the pervious version, how do they compare?

Driver- Taylormade SIM 2 *10.5 set at 8.5*, Ventus Black 6X

3 Wood- Taylormade SIM 2 15* set at 14.25*, Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7X

5 Wood- Taylormade SIM 19* set at 19.75*, Tensei Orange 80TX

Driving Iron- Taylormade P790 UDI 18*, Tour AD DI 95X

Irons- 4-PW Callaway Apex TCB Raw, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges- Taylormade Milled Grind 2 black 50*, 55*, High Toe Raw 60*, Nippon Modus 115 Black Wedge 

Putter- Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4, Ping PLD Anser 2 matte raw or Spider Tour Red

The sole is noticeably thicker in the CBs than the MBs but that's literally the only difference. They both have very small blade lengths, minimal offset, and are a bit more forgiving than a traditional MB or CB that doesn't have any tech in it.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

> @The_Champ said:

> For those who had the pervious version, how do they compare?

Looks wise, the same. Feel wise, a smidge harder because of the tungsten. They are great great irons. Not much was changed. Different stock shaft. The CNC milling on the face might be new feature but don't expect it to last through shots because of obvious wear. Paint scheme is a little new too.

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > @arobbins3 said:

> > > > Well.... I took the jump off the bridge!

> > > >

> > > > g6wa2h63mi39.jpg

> > > > da6go1ddqedw.jpg

> > > >

> > >

> > > Look good

> >

> > Awesome!!!

>

> What shaft? I really want these with the $ tapper.

>

>

Project X LZ - $ Taper was a close second choice.

10.5˚ TaylorMade Stealth Plus

18° Titleist TSR2 5 Wood

21° Titleist TSR2 7 Wood

4-PW Titleist T100s Black

50˚ Titleist SM8 Black

54˚ Titleist SM8 Black

60˚ Titleist SM8 Black

Bettinardi Hive 8.0

Bridgestone Tour B-XS