Nippon 105 Steel iron shaft

KyleML222 ·  
KyleML222KyleML222  5WRX Points: 32Members Posts: 5 Starters

I currently have the TaylorMade PSI irons with the KBS c taper 105 stiff shafts in them. I loved the PSI irons when I got them but recently I can not get them in the air. I used to have a nice high ball flight with my irons but all of a sudden I have a hard time getting the ball in the air. I know I have some posture issues in my golf swing currently due to some back issues I've been experiencing. I hit a lot of thin shots and just generally have a tough time getting all the way down. The ground seems farther away every day. lol My back is very stiff on a good day. I wanted to switch to the M5 irons just because I want something a little more forgiving and easier to get in the air. At my best I was a 4 handicap and currently I am probably closer to a 10. The birth of my first child has coincided with a deteriorating golf game. lol. I am only 32 and just want to enjoy golf a little more and if that means going to a little more of a game improvement iron then I am all for it. I hit the M5 and the shaft I liked the best was the Nippon 105 stiff shaft. I know the lighter weight of the shaft should help me get the ball in the air as well as the mid launch properties that the shaft has. After doing some research though I see that the kick point in the shaft is in the grip which from my understanding makes it harder to get up in the air. Just wondering if anyone has experience with these shafts. Thanks

Posted:

Comments

• Stuart_GStuart_G New Hampshire 24600WRX Points: 1,360Members Posts: 24,600 Titanium Tees

No shaft has a kick point in the grip - that's physically impossible. Anyways 'kick point' or really 'bend point' is an antiquated and highly unreliable way to judge the shaft launch characteristics.

The 105 has a fairly soft stiffness profile (relative to other similar weight/flex shafts from other companies - and particularly the c-taper 105). So generally it will not cause any problems with you 'getting the ball in the air' - UNLESS there is something about the feel from the shaft (either weight or stiffness) causes you to alter your swing in a way that would decrease the dynamic loft delivered or reduce the quality of the impact. Which usually means you should be fine unless there is something about the feel you end up finding distasteful.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • KyleML222KyleML222  5WRX Points: 32Members Posts: 5 Starters

How about "towards the grip" The website literally says Kickpoint/Grip.

Posted:
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New Hampshire 24600WRX Points: 1,360Members Posts: 24,600 Titanium Tees

I doubt it matters (since it wont change anything about my original answer) but what web site? I don't' see any reference to kick or bend point on Nippon's web site for the 105's

Posted:
  • KyleML222KyleML222  5WRX Points: 32Members Posts: 5 Starters
    Posted:

Ok. I missed the slider bar on the specs.

Meaningless garbage. Ignore it.

Posted:
  • GolfNuts4GolfNuts4  744WRX Points: 116Handicap: 16Members Posts: 744 Golden Tee

I find this shaft to play very smooth. I am a bit of a slower swinger and play the regular flex. I really like it compared to the XP 95 which is what I was coming from.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
    Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
    Callaway Big Bertha (2004) 5 wood
    Ping G30 4 Hybrid
    Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Irons 5-GW
    Titleist Vokey Wedges 56/60
    Scotty Cameron Monterey
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • ModadModad  58WRX Points: 75Handicap: 9.2Members Posts: 58 Bunkers

I play the Modus 105 in a stiff flex and have no problem getting the ball in the air. Actually this is an easy shaft to change ball flight with ball position; love the feel!

Posted:
    Cobra F8 Tour AD 6S @ 44"
    BioCell FW EvenFlow Blue 75 6.0
    BioCell 19, 22, 25* hybrids
    Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal- Nippon Modus 3 105s
    Cleveland CG12 DSG 56*& 60*
    Spider Tour Red
  • hitemstr8rhitemstr8r  21WRX Points: 17Members Posts: 21 Bunkers

I play this shaft and would echo that I have no problem getting it in the air. I just switched to the 105 x stiff and really like them.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.