If your are a 5 hcp looking for new irons, what do you buy?

2717B

> @2717B said:

> Going for a fitting on Friday! I will let you know how it turns out. Keeping my options wide open!

I finally got fit recently... Though I knew what I wanted (Ping) and what I hated (Mizuno)... Ended up with the Mizuno Hot Metal Pros and very much enjoy them. Just try whatever they hand you. A good fitter is an awesome experience...

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I bought new irons last fall. I was fitted 3 times by 2 different people. I wanted to try something more forgiving than my old players cb's. I tried everything that was available (at least those I could remotely tolerate the looks). I started out with the ping i210 then went to the ap2 etc... I ended up buying blades because they performed better on all 3 occasions for me. You never know until you try them.

TSi3 10 @ 10.75 Ventus Black 6x 45"

TS2 15* Hzrdus smoke black 70g 6.5 43"

TS3 18* Hzrdus smoke black RDX  80g 6.5 41.5"

New Level NLU-01 22* and 25* Hzrdus smoke black rdx 100g 6.5
New Level 902-OS 6-P (KBS tour 130x) -1* weak on each

Vokey sm8 50@49/12 KBS $ taper HT 130, Sm9 54@53/10S,

58/4T KBS $ taper HT 125 or 58/8m DGx100 mid TI
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 35"/ 69* Press II

I gamed the ping i200 for a 2 years while I was a 7-9 hdcp. Made it down to a 4.2 this year and bit the bullet on Srixon 765s. 785's were awesome but was able to get a really good deal on the 765's. Best decision i've made so far this year. Much more consistent than the pings in my opinion. Anyone in the single digit hdcp can benefit from a club that offers consistency over distance.

Stealth Plus 7.5* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Titleist Tsr2 18* Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PX  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D PX Wedge 6.5

Bettinardi Queen B 10 Blackout Stability Tour

If distance isn’t the thing it’s gonna be accuracy. I found what I like in a set of MP. 5. Had to dick around with my wedges after switch as I was a bit longer with the MP 5 over the 2014 TM MB I played before. I switched to have a bit heavier shaft. Went from 105 - 120. After one year with The MP 5 my handicap is getting better and better.

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

> @B_of_H said:

> I bought new irons last fall. I was fitted 3 times by 2 different people. I wanted to try something more forgiving than my old players cb's. I tried everything that was available (at least those I could remotely tolerate the looks). I started out with the ping i210 then went to the ap2 etc... I ended up buying blades because they performed better on all 3 occasions for me. You never know until you try them.

What blades ended up beating out all the rest?

> @tgoodspe1991 said:

> > @B_of_H said:

> > I bought new irons last fall. I was fitted 3 times by 2 different people. I wanted to try something more forgiving than my old players cb's. I tried everything that was available (at least those I could remotely tolerate the looks). I started out with the ping i210 then went to the ap2 etc... I ended up buying blades because they performed better on all 3 occasions for me. You never know until you try them.

>

> What blades ended up beating out all the rest?

MP18's.

> @B_of_H said:

> > @tgoodspe1991 said:

> > > @B_of_H said:

> > > I bought new irons last fall. I was fitted 3 times by 2 different people. I wanted to try something more forgiving than my old players cb's. I tried everything that was available (at least those I could remotely tolerate the looks). I started out with the ping i210 then went to the ap2 etc... I ended up buying blades because they performed better on all 3 occasions for me. You never know until you try them.

> >

> > What blades ended up beating out all the rest?

>

> MP18's.

Nice. Those are the one MB's I have yet to hit. I hit the MP18 SC's but didn't much care for them, but have heard the true MB's are much better.

Have an open mind

Hit EVERYTHING you like the look of at address

Don't be afraid to do multiple fittings if you aren't sure - there are simply too many quality, gameable irons out there to fully explore them all in a single fitting (unless you find yourself immediately smitten, of course).

Don't be afraid of blades, they've gotten so much more playable over the years

TM M1 9.5* Kuro Kage XT70 X
TM M2 Deep 16.7* Kuro Kage XT80 X
PXG 0317 19* Kuro Kage 80HY TX
Mizuno MP64 4-PW C-Taper S
Vokey SM5 50-55-60 C-Taper S
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

> @weggy5 said:

> Srixon z745s, z765s, or z785s. Depending on how pointy you like your toe you may want to try them all but like others have said def get fit then go snag a deal off of here or the bay. Cheers.

GO COUGS!

Driver: PING G425 7.5*; X-stiff HZRDUS BLACK 75g

Driving Iron: TITLEIST U505 1i; X-stiff HZRDUS Smoke RDX 90g 

Irons: PING i210 3-4, PING BLUEPRINT 5-W; Dynamic Gold X7

Wedges: CLEVELAND RTX4 50, 54, 58; S400

Putter: ODYSSEY WHITE HOT #7 OG

Ball: BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Grip: WINN Dri Tac Midsize

GHIN: Between my ears... (usually between 1-3)

Play whatever you like, man. If you like the purity and don't mind your mistakes being put in your face, go blades. Otherwise, go with whatever you like.

I say play something as forgiving as you can while still enjoying the look and feel. For me, that's the Titleist CB. I simply cant move out of the CB and into the AP2 or similar irions. Dont like the look and feel.

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist T100 / Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

Whatever I want. Playing MP5s with RIP Tour 115 R flex currently. Next week I might play something different. Downside AND upside to not selling when you buy!

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

> @tgoodspe1991 said:

> > @B_of_H said:

> > > @tgoodspe1991 said:

> > > > @B_of_H said:

> > > > I bought new irons last fall. I was fitted 3 times by 2 different people. I wanted to try something more forgiving than my old players cb's. I tried everything that was available (at least those I could remotely tolerate the looks). I started out with the ping i210 then went to the ap2 etc... I ended up buying blades because they performed better on all 3 occasions for me. You never know until you try them.

> > >

> > > What blades ended up beating out all the rest?

> >

> > MP18's.

>

> Nice. Those are the one MB's I have yet to hit. I hit the MP18 SC's but didn't much care for them, but have heard the true MB's are much better.

They are pretty similar. The SC's are just a tad thicker in the sole and don't have as much feedback on slight mishits. I'm not sure there is a huge difference in forgiveness.

New iron technology is a crock. I'd consider a set of mizuno mp 15s. I've had them for about 3-4 years and they just don't leave the bag. Stupidly bought a set of AP1s a couple of years ago and they didn't last more than a month. Tried the AP3s and JPX Forged today once again looking for more forgiveness. Hit them like crap and hit the mp15s great on the course today. You can probably find a brand new set online for a good price. Still the best player cavity on the market.

Should it be different if a 10 handicap index holder is thinking of another set of irons ?

Index number has nothing to do with your next set of irons. Get the set you always want ( and could afford), that you like to look down at the address position.

As a single digit index holder, you should be able to play any style of irons you wish, with the right shaft in it,

It depends on how you are a 5. Not the best ball striker, but makes up for it with good putting? Great iron player, but but not so good driver and putting?

I'm partial to the "players cavity back" I took a look at a lot of the new offerings, but found them far too big. I haven't seen what the Mizuno 919 tours look like in person, but that'd probably be might pick for new clubs.

> @B_of_H said:

> > @tgoodspe1991 said:

> > > @B_of_H said:

> > > > @tgoodspe1991 said:

> > > > > @B_of_H said:

> > > > > I bought new irons last fall. I was fitted 3 times by 2 different people. I wanted to try something more forgiving than my old players cb's. I tried everything that was available (at least those I could remotely tolerate the looks). I started out with the ping i210 then went to the ap2 etc... I ended up buying blades because they performed better on all 3 occasions for me. You never know until you try them.

> > > >

> > > > What blades ended up beating out all the rest?

> > >

> > > MP18's.

> >

> > Nice. Those are the one MB's I have yet to hit. I hit the MP18 SC's but didn't much care for them, but have heard the true MB's are much better.

>

> They are pretty similar. The SC's are just a tad thicker in the sole and don't have as much feedback on slight mishits. I'm not sure there is a huge difference in forgiveness.

I disagree.

The SC humongous compared to the MB, longer heel to toe, fat sole, thicker top line and very minute offset. I would go to the 919T if you are eyeing that sizing.

Forgiveness is similar that you might as well go to the blades for utmost feel.

> @mcc0819 said:

> I gamed the ping i200 for a 2 years while I was a 7-9 hdcp. Made it down to a 4.2 this year and bit the bullet on Srixon 765s. 785's were awesome but was able to get a really good deal on the 765's. Best decision i've made so far this year. Much more consistent than the pings in my opinion. Anyone in the single digit hdcp can benefit from a club that offers consistency over distance.

I would argue the i200 is more consistent for distance than the 765. Lower spin on 765 and easy to get fliers.

> @Chuck905 said:

> > @B_of_H said:

> > > @tgoodspe1991 said:

> > > > @B_of_H said:

> > > > > @tgoodspe1991 said:

> > > > > > @B_of_H said:

> > > > > > I bought new irons last fall. I was fitted 3 times by 2 different people. I wanted to try something more forgiving than my old players cb's. I tried everything that was available (at least those I could remotely tolerate the looks). I started out with the ping i210 then went to the ap2 etc... I ended up buying blades because they performed better on all 3 occasions for me. You never know until you try them.

> > > > >

> > > > > What blades ended up beating out all the rest?

> > > >

> > > > MP18's.

> > >

> > > Nice. Those are the one MB's I have yet to hit. I hit the MP18 SC's but didn't much care for them, but have heard the true MB's are much better.

> >

> > They are pretty similar. The SC's are just a tad thicker in the sole and don't have as much feedback on slight mishits. I'm not sure there is a huge difference in forgiveness.

>

> I disagree.

>

> The SC humongous compared to the MB, longer heel to toe, fat sole, thicker top line and very minute offset. I would go to the 919T if you are eyeing that sizing.

>

> Forgiveness is similar that you might as well go to the blades for utmost feel.

>

>

>

>

I had a set of 919t's for a month. The offset on the short irons ended up being a deal breaker for me. If they made a less offset version of that iron it would be in my bag. Great feel, super forgiving IMO.

I have the sc in my 5-6 with a mmc 4 iron. The mmc has a noticeable difference in performance. the ball starts out a little higher, flattens out, and sails a bit compared to the SC (I'm assuming this has to do with slightly less spin and lower/deeper cg). Solid strikes on the SC vs the MB were pretty similar in my experience. I preferred the look and feel of the mb. the offset on the mb and sc are identical actually. I wish there was less but its not that big of a deal to me.

> @Sparky14 said:

> I'd go find a set of Spalding Executives or Lynx Predators from 1980. Nothing better than seeing a ringer play with POS clubs and still beat everyone.

We had a single join our two-some last year. Late 20s athletic looking kid. He was visiting his family and was using his fathers old set of clubs that he pulled out of the back of the basement - Tommy Armour 845 silver scot irons, original taylor made metal woods. Kid absolutely killed it all day. I recall he shot something like 4 or 5 under. Was fun to watch.

Longtime user of Mizuno products (MP-60, MP-32, MP-59) and have seen my hcp fall from 12 to 5-7 range. Felt I was loosing a bit of distance (the age thing) but didn't want to go to GI irons or cast clubs. Felt the best compromise was the Srixon 785/585 combo and have been very happy with this set-up. Great feel and picked up the lost yardage.

Srixon Z785 6-P
PXG 0211 4h & 5h
Mizuno T 56/58/60
Tour Edge C721 10.5 w/Ventus Red R
PXG 0341 Proto 3w
Titleist 909 5w
TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs Spider
Snell MTB-X

> @balls_deep said:

> > @mcc0819 said:

> > I gamed the ping i200 for a 2 years while I was a 7-9 hdcp. Made it down to a 4.2 this year and bit the bullet on Srixon 765s. 785's were awesome but was able to get a really good deal on the 765's. Best decision i've made so far this year. Much more consistent than the pings in my opinion. Anyone in the single digit hdcp can benefit from a club that offers consistency over distance.

>

> I would argue the i200 is more consistent for distance than the 765. Lower spin on 765 and easy to get fliers.

I'm glad you found the i200 more consistent. It's a great set of irons that I truly enjoy but too often I found them spinning too much and lost distance that frustrated the heck out of me.

• Like 1

Stealth Plus 7.5* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Titleist Tsr2 18* Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PX  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D PX Wedge 6.5

Bettinardi Queen B 10 Blackout Stability Tour

Having owned 40 sets of about every OEM and of all types the answer not to steal from Hogan is in the dirt. You could play anything and all the major players have great lineups. If a guy says "this is the set" for everybody his is pretentious . For him ok but not for everyone. I am not saying their the best by no means but I played two fine sets last year in 900 HMs and C300 Forged. But I always get that January itch and having played the 14-15 Apex I passed on the Apex 16 and was going to get a used set and couldn't believe how many still used them. I got the Apex 19 (5-aw) because I had a offer of a new set I couldn't refuse. The Apex seem to stick in bags a long time.

My one recommendation is demo,demo,demo. Pick a couple then demo again. Have fun doing it if you have the time,

Custom fitting is the way to go IMHO. While considering all of the above, with a quality fitter, also consider the Wishon 560MC and the 575MMC cavity or muscle or a combo set.

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

> @mcc0819 said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @mcc0819 said:

> > > I gamed the ping i200 for a 2 years while I was a 7-9 hdcp. Made it down to a 4.2 this year and bit the bullet on Srixon 765s. 785's were awesome but was able to get a really good deal on the 765's. Best decision i've made so far this year. Much more consistent than the pings in my opinion. Anyone in the single digit hdcp can benefit from a club that offers consistency over distance.

> >

> > I would argue the i200 is more consistent for distance than the 765. Lower spin on 765 and easy to get fliers.

>

> I'm glad you found the i200 more consistent. It's a great set of irons that I truly enjoy but too often I found them spinning too much and lost distance that frustrated the heck out of me.

For sure and this is why fitting is key. 765 needed to be bent 2 weak to be playable spin and height wise for me and i200 spun too much for you. I'd not buy just on indoor fitting as well. A shop near me has a grass range that they'll let you hit new clubs on (with tape or no tape if they have used). Huge factor in my decision to go to the iBlade. Out performed my Titleist handily outdoors when the numbers were quite close on monitor.

Well.....the fitting is complete. While I won’t name the fitter, but they are very reputable, fit the golf team at a major university, and had all of the bells and whistles/technology to analyze my swing and ball flight data (nothing like a big box retail experience). I hit the my MX200 and compared it to the following: AP2, 919f, 785, Hot Metal Pro. Long story short, the AP2 and 785 spun about 500rpm more. Distance was about the same with all clubs with the exception of the Hot Metal Pro. Dispersion was about equal with all clubs. Bottom line, the statistics showed very little difference between clubs, or when I used different shafts. Interestingly, the fitter did not have me hit on a lie board (I have read differering opinions about the need to do this). I was also a bit surprised that he suggested 1.5 degrees upright....solely by measuring my arm length. The fitter did not try to direct me into any particular model, or to buy new clubs. Now what? Keep playing my old clubs? That’s not in the spirit of a WRX’r! Haha!