My Spider X

Brizam

Just received shipping confirmation for delivery next week. Looks like it’ll be delivered right at the 3 week mark (I ordered the day they were released). Mildly aroused with anticipation for the flow neck...

Taylormade SIM 9*- Accra
Taylormade SIM Max D 16*- Accra
SIM hybrid 19* 
Taylormade P760 4-PW
Vokey SM7: 50, 55, 60*
Spider X Plumbers 33.5"

Disclaimer-this is pure speculation...

The Spider X insert is 5mm. The previous Spider (et al) inserts were 3mm at largest/thickest. So, to fit into the new design, the insert would have to be 5 mm. I can’t see them doing a different 5mm insert for the MySpider X. And, the old ones wouldn’t fit without additional modifications

That being said, the did do an entirely different one for the MySpider....so... who knows I suppose! Last thought, this MySpider X came WAY quicker. I guess I’d just be shocked if the insert is different

> @AG12 said:

> I think I am going to hold off on the MySpider X until they can offer loft/lie adjustments. Kind of a bummer

Exactly! Id order one now if loft / lie could be done. Seems like a miss....

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* // LA Golf DJ Series 65 (5)
TM Stealth Plus 13.5* // Ventus Black 6x
Callaway Uwood 19* // Ventus Blue 7s
4i - Callaway Rogue ST Pro // Mitsubishi MMT 105tx

5i-PW - NCW // Mitsubishi MMT 105tx
Vokey SM8 52.12F S300
Vokey SM8 56.14F S200
Vokey SM8 60.14K S200
Odyssey 2 ball ten
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Received a shipping notification over the weekend and will have mine on Wednesday. Ordered the first day of availability.

TaylorMade Stealth 2 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 Iron HZRDUS Black 6.5

TaylorMade P790 3 Iron Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade P770 4 Iron Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade P7MC 5-PW Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade MG Raw 52 & Hi-Toe 3 Raw 58 Dynamic Gold TI S400
TaylorMade Spider X Hydro Blast Slant Neck
Taylormade TP5x

WOW! that was fast.....I'm about 1 later but that's really encouraging..... Good news for us, I can't imagine a ton of people ordered these.....you gotta be pretty particular to want to pay $420 for a putter that is pretty nice looking as is.... They just got me because I (like the guy above) couldn't stand the black line. LOVE the white strip; hate the line within it....

• Like 1

> @"Green in Reg" said:

> Just received shipping confirmation for delivery next week. Looks like it’ll be delivered right at the 3 week mark (I ordered the day they were released). Mildly aroused with anticipation for the flow neck...

Is that the neck only available via custom spider? if so, I'm curious how you like it.

> @kekoa said:

> > @"Green in Reg" said:

> > Just received shipping confirmation for delivery next week. Looks like it’ll be delivered right at the 3 week mark (I ordered the day they were released). Mildly aroused with anticipation for the flow neck...

>

> Is that the neck only available via custom spider? if so, I'm curious how you like it.

>

>

I’ll let you know by the end of the week!!!

Taylormade SIM 9*- Accra
SIM hybrid 19* 
Taylormade P760 4-PW
Spider X Plumbers 33.5"

> @mjbaker80 said:

> Disclaimer-this is pure speculation...

>

> The Spider X insert is 5mm. The previous Spider (et al) inserts were 3mm at largest/thickest. So, to fit into the new design, the insert would have to be 5 mm. I can’t see them doing a different 5mm insert for the MySpider X. And, the old ones wouldn’t fit without additional modifications

>

> That being said, the did do an entirely different one for the MySpider....so... who knows I suppose! Last thought, this MySpider X came WAY quicker. I guess I’d just be shocked if the insert is different

>

>

The aluminum insert in the original My Spider was done in the Spider Limiteds that released before the Spider Tour, so it's something that had been used. I have no inside info but based on everything I know about these putters, I'm almost 100% sure the insert is the same insert as on the regular retail model, just painted in your chosen color.

I ordered mine the morning after they were announced and I still haven't received a shipping notification. My order was nearly identical to TK3309's, so I'm thinking they sold more of these up front that one might have expected.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

> @mjbaker80 said:

> WOW! that was fast.....I'm about 1 later but that's really encouraging..... Good news for us, I can't imagine a ton of people ordered these.....you gotta be pretty particular to want to pay $420 for a putter that is pretty nice looking as is.... They just got me because I (like the guy above) couldn't stand the black line. LOVE the white strip; hate the line within it....

Pictures when it arrives!!

> @jll62 said:

> > @mjbaker80 said:

> > Disclaimer-this is pure speculation...

> >

> > The Spider X insert is 5mm. The previous Spider (et al) inserts were 3mm at largest/thickest. So, to fit into the new design, the insert would have to be 5 mm. I can’t see them doing a different 5mm insert for the MySpider X. And, the old ones wouldn’t fit without additional modifications

> >

> > That being said, the did do an entirely different one for the MySpider....so... who knows I suppose! Last thought, this MySpider X came WAY quicker. I guess I’d just be shocked if the insert is different

> >

> >

>

> The aluminum insert in the original My Spider was done in the Spider Limiteds that released before the Spider Tour, so it's something that had been used. I have no inside info but based on everything I know about these putters, I'm almost 100% sure the insert is the same insert as on the regular retail model, just painted in your chosen color.

>

> I ordered mine the morning after they were announced and I still haven't received a shipping notification. My order was nearly identical to TK3309's, so I'm thinking they sold more of these up front that one might have expected.

Yup! You're right that the MATERIAL of aluminum was used inthe Spider but the Spider X insert is THICKER (front to back width). The Spider X insert is more the width of an old school pink eraser (5mm) vs the older insert was about a couple credit cards (3mm). I should have been more clear in my post. The MATERIAL was used but there has never been a spider insert that is this THICK (with these dimensions. Thus, to make a new insert for this one, they'd had to make a new mold of a thicker one. The old inserts, aluminum or otherwise, wouldn't fit.

> @mjbaker80 said:

> > @jll62 said:

> > > @mjbaker80 said:

> > > Disclaimer-this is pure speculation...

> > >

> > > The Spider X insert is 5mm. The previous Spider (et al) inserts were 3mm at largest/thickest. So, to fit into the new design, the insert would have to be 5 mm. I can’t see them doing a different 5mm insert for the MySpider X. And, the old ones wouldn’t fit without additional modifications

> > >

> > > That being said, the did do an entirely different one for the MySpider....so... who knows I suppose! Last thought, this MySpider X came WAY quicker. I guess I’d just be shocked if the insert is different

> > >

> > >

> >

> > The aluminum insert in the original My Spider was done in the Spider Limiteds that released before the Spider Tour, so it's something that had been used. I have no inside info but based on everything I know about these putters, I'm almost 100% sure the insert is the same insert as on the regular retail model, just painted in your chosen color.

> >

> > I ordered mine the morning after they were announced and I still haven't received a shipping notification. My order was nearly identical to TK3309's, so I'm thinking they sold more of these up front that one might have expected.

>

> Yup! You're right that the MATERIAL of aluminum was used inthe Spider but the Spider X insert is THICKER (front to back width). The Spider X insert is more the width of an old school pink eraser (5mm) vs the older insert was about a couple credit cards (3mm). I should have been more clear in my post. The MATERIAL was used but there has never been a spider insert that is this THICK (with these dimensions. Thus, to make a new insert for this one, they'd had to make a new mold of a thicker one. The old inserts, aluminum or otherwise, wouldn't fit.

For what it's worth, the insert looks to be aluminum based on pics TK3309 sent me of his MySpider X. It has the old school AGSI style grooves and he said it sounds like metal when tapped with a coin. I guess I'll have to reserve judgement until I get mine to see how it feels, but my enthusiasm is somewhat dampened now. I was not a fan of the aluminum insert on the Spider Limited. Mine shipped a couple days ago and should be here early next week, so I'll get more info then.

Part of the reason I was speculating that the MySpider X would have the standard insert is because of the thickness change. It didn't make sense to me that TM would create a thicker aluminum insert just for use with the MySpider X, but maybe that was a bad assumption. We know the thickness changed on the retail model, but there's no guarantee it did on the MySpider version.

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

Hate to say I told you so, but the insert is definitely aluminum. It’s the same insert that was in the MySpider Tour putters and Spider Mini’s. I had a feeling there was no way they could offer that many colors in the surlyn insert.

Taylormade SIM 9*- Accra
SIM hybrid 19* 
Taylormade P760 4-PW
Spider X Plumbers 33.5"

Received my MySpider X earlier today and have finally got some time to upload the pics. Impressed with how quick this arrived and I ordered the first day of availability. Honestly I couldn't be happier with how the colors and everything turned out. I ordered a plain all black club head with silver insert to match the Spider Tour Black I used for the last two seasons. The black on both putters are identical. The X color on the bottom is orange to match the color scheme for the year and my alma mater. I ordered the putter with a black Superstroke to go with the all black but I've had a Superstroke 1.0p at the house for a while and this is the perfect putter to finally put it on.

I've been using a copper Spider X with a single sightline all year and have really liked it. I've made numerous posts on here about how much I like the extra stability and the feel of the Spider X. The stability and weight feels the exact same with the MySpider X. I haven't minded having a sightline on the putter this year but when I putt I don't use the line at all and it can distract me. I only look at the face of the putter so seeing a plain top again it looks perfect to me. Once there was a chance to get a plain top Spider X I couldn't pass it up. The MySpider X's do come with the new KBS CT Tour putter shaft as they do at retail but as noted above the insert is not the same as the X and it is aluminum. I used a TaylorMade Soto for a bit so the feel is familiar to me and I don't mind a firmer insert so I don't think it'll be any issue for me. Insert opinions will be different for everyone as I see a lot of posters on here wanting firmer inserts than what they get in the Spider and this would fit perfectly for them. The grooves definitely aren't as deep as the retail Spider X so it'll be interesting to see if I see any difference in how the ball rolls. I'm getting in 36 tomorrow and will report back.

All in all I couldn't be happier with the outcome of my order and it came just as I pictured. For $70 more I was able to get an exact look I want in a putter and received it in 3 weeks on the dot. The order process couldn't have been easier and the interface with creation of the putter online is very accurate. I also didn't think the MySpider X program would be available until later in the year so for people like myself in the Midwest, it was a nice surprise to be able get my hands on this putter and be able to game it all year. If you like the Spider X and there is a color or sight line adjustment you'd want to make, I think it's 100% worth it to customize your own putter. I don't see this putter I created leaving the bag for the foreseeable future.

jtaeabfh93d1.jpg

6tfb0zv38x05.jpg

i5culy5qkfoi.jpg

dtxfcaspfszg.jpg

u4tgc6dmcmv0.jpg

4m5n3a90k3bp.jpg

• Like 3

Taylormade TP5x

Great post and great looking Spider. Looking forward to your feedback. I just came from a My Spider Tour and really liked the aluminum insert.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Wow! I'm shocked! So they must have made a new insert for the My?!?! Welp, as I said, I was purely speculating!

So, if the material IS aluminum NOW. What was it before?!

Also, just curious....how do we KNOW it's aluminum? Can you just tell?

I actually liked the aluminum (back on the old DJ one)...

Great posts and info - thank you guys!

> @"Green in Reg" said:

> Hate to say I told you so, but the insert is definitely aluminum. It’s the same insert that was in the MySpider Tour putters and Spider Mini’s. I had a feeling there was no way they could offer that many colors in the surlyn insert.

WOW !!!

Man, I'd really be ticked off and I'd send it BACK !!!.

At least the My Tour Spider had that slide bar/box that told you the insert was aluminum.

The current slide bar/box, at least on the few My Spider-X that I looked at, doesn't say ANYTHING about the insert.

How on Earth could TM think that people would want a different insert ? Makes zero sense. Some/many/most players want their custom putter to "putt" exactly the same as the ones in the stores that they demo.

Aluminum and surlyn don't come close to feeling the same.

What a screw up !!! ~~Taylormade~~. No thanks.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

> @nsxguy said:

> > @"Green in Reg" said:

> > Hate to say I told you so, but the insert is definitely aluminum. It’s the same insert that was in the MySpider Tour putters and Spider Mini’s. I had a feeling there was no way they could offer that many colors in the surlyn insert.

>

> WOW !!!

>

> Man, I'd really be ticked off and I'd send it BACK !!!.

>

> At least the My Tour Spider had that slide bar/box that told you the insert was aluminum.

>

> The current slide bar/box, at least on the few My Spider-X that I looked at, doesn't say ANYTHING about the insert.

>

> How on Earth could TM think that people would want a different insert ? Makes zero sense. Some/many/most players want their custom putter to "putt" exactly the same as the ones in the stores that they demo.

>

> Aluminum and surlyn don't come close to feeling the same.

>

> What a screw up !!! ~~Taylormade~~. No thanks.

>

>

1000% agree. That kept me from ordering a My Spider X. I like the retail Spider X insert way better than the My Spider Tour I have been using.

Made me go ahead order a PXG GEN2 putter.

Loooooong time Spider user.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I thought I heard that DJ had a different insert in his X. Perhaps the same 80/20 that was in his black Spider. Same as this one?

I'm just surprised, really. I know the My Spider insert was designed to feel like "in between the surly and 80/20" but I never thought it felt as good as the surly or 80/20.

Wonder what they "why" was here....

Worst thing about the insert with the rubber filled grooves vs. the ones on the Spider Tour Black and Spider X is that it will trap pieces of debris that are impossible to get out. Doesn't affect the roll but so annoying.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Got in 36 with MySpider on Friday and couldn't have liked it more. Loved having the plain top look again and made 13 birdies on the day with the putter having a lot to do with it. Sets up perfectly to my eye too. Hopefully not just a honeymoon stage. Ball rolled really well and I did like the aluminum insert.

Taylormade TP5x

I received my MySpider X this morning and I could not be more thrilled! I ordered it with a white insert and mine appears to have been built with the stock 80/20 white insert. So I guess the lesson is not to change the face insert color if you want the same as the retail Spider X. I'll be curious to see if anyone else receives this insert in any other colors.

This putter is exactly what I've been dreaming about since I first saw these at TM HQ back in November:

* No white alignment

* No sightline

* All black

I'll need to regrip before testing it, but I wanted to snap some pictures first. This putter sets up exactly the same as the Itsy Bitsy proto I'm currently using, so it has a very real shot of making the bag. I'm playing a practice round today in preparation for an event next week and I'm using this putter today. So pumped.

h5wbkm2a2aee.jpg

7rjf7txdfnpa.jpg

tmeil37oukwx.jpg

jnl10h0p0oc3.jpg

• Like 3

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

> @mjbaker80 said:

> DUDE..... YOU. JUST. MADE. MY. DAY. I ordered the silver insert, too....so, I assume I'll get the same one you got. JOY JOY JOY!

> I assume by white you meant silver, anyway. Don't burst my bubble :wink:

jll62 ordered the white insert and it came with the standard 80/20 insert. I ordered silver and it came with the aluminum insert. As jll62 said it'll be interesting to see if different colors do have different types of inserts.

Taylormade TP5x

> @TK3309 said:

> > @mjbaker80 said:

> > DUDE..... YOU. JUST. MADE. MY. DAY. I ordered the silver insert, too....so, I assume I'll get the same one you got. JOY JOY JOY!

> > I assume by white you meant silver, anyway. Don't burst my bubble :wink:

> jll62 ordered the white insert and it came with the standard 80/20 insert. I ordered silver and it came with the aluminum insert. As jll62 said it'll be interesting to see if different colors do have different types of inserts.

ARGH! So weird..... I just checked and mine is silver.....but it hasn't been delivered yet.

Honest question that has yet to be answered...for those of you who have chimed in, how do you know it's aluminum? I'm not being skeptical I just have no idea how you guys can tell? I've had literally every spider variation since 2009 and I am confident I could guess right in a "Pepsi test." I'm not sure I'd bet my life on my guess though... Also, the Spider X also feels a lot different than the Spider (I've owned both)....it's much more "solid" IMO. Thus, I'm not sure how that changes the feel of the insert, accordingly...

Is there some kind of a magnet test or something?

Thanks in advance! CAn't wait to get mine and see what mystery insert I get :)

> @mjbaker80 said:

> > @TK3309 said:

> > > @mjbaker80 said:

> > > DUDE..... YOU. JUST. MADE. MY. DAY. I ordered the silver insert, too....so, I assume I'll get the same one you got. JOY JOY JOY!

> > > I assume by white you meant silver, anyway. Don't burst my bubble :wink:

> > jll62 ordered the white insert and it came with the standard 80/20 insert. I ordered silver and it came with the aluminum insert. As jll62 said it'll be interesting to see if different colors do have different types of inserts.

>

> ARGH! So weird..... I just checked and mine is silver.....but it hasn't been delivered yet.

> Honest question that has yet to be answered...for those of you who have chimed in, how do you know it's aluminum? I'm not being skeptical I just have no idea how you guys can tell? I've had literally every spider variation since 2009 and I am confident I could guess right in a "Pepsi test." I'm not sure I'd bet my life on my guess though... Also, the Spider X also feels a lot different than the Spider (I've owned both)....it's much more "solid" IMO. Thus, I'm not sure how that changes the feel of the insert, accordingly...

>

> Is there some kind of a magnet test or something?

>

> Thanks in advance! CAn't wait to get mine and see what mystery insert I get :)

If you look above at both of the inserts mine on the silver have the circles on the end of the grooves, there are more grooves on the face and the grooves aren't nearly as deep. Also when I tap the insert with a coin it makes a "ping" sound. The insert is identical to my TP Black Copper Soto. I also have a Copper Spider X that when I hit it with a coin there it is a muted sound. The above photo of jll62's putter show the grooves being much deeper and just straight grooves across. That insert above that jll62 posted is identical to the retail Spider X.

Taylormade TP5x

CRAZY! You're right....never even noticed the circles. Man, that bums me out...was really hoping I'd get the same insert as the Spider X had.... Oh well, I liked the 80/20, too. I think I heard that DJ went with the 80/20 in his Spider X.... can't remember where I saw that....might have been on Trott's Instagram.....

PS - total GENIUS move going with the white insert...I never would have thought that would increase the likelihood of it being the same material as the X. I think we are starting to see WHY they don't say the material on the order page.....it's because they're all different. So, a guy has to essentially decide between look and material. That's a bit odd. I picked the grey because it fit the color scheme I was going with ... mine is a nod to my favorite Transformer, Megatron. (I'm a huge nerd, yes)..... had I know all of this, I'd have ordered white...

PPS - I think we need to name this.... #INSERTGATE