2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

My Spider X

Brizam

As you can see from my previous posts... I’ve tried to stay positive and optimistic about the aluminum insert because I was fully expecting it having ordered multiple MySpider Tour’s and understanding that because of manufacturing purposes, it was impossible to do the suryln in different colors. However, if someone would have told me I could get the same insert as retail, that I just needed to select the white color, I would’ve done that in a heartbeat! Total bullxxxx.

Taylormade SIM 9*- Accra
Taylormade SIM Max D 16*- Accra
SIM hybrid 19* 
Taylormade P760 4-PW
Vokey SM7: 50, 55, 60*
Spider X Plumbers 33.5"

If you look on TM's website at the other Spider models available, the versions with the black inserts are also surlyn. So at least there are those and the white. For what it's worth, if you "build" a SpiderX and then play with all the rest of the colors, their pictures still show all of them using the soft insert and not aluminum. Hopefully that is the way they'll all come.

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

> @Hammer22 said:

> If you look on TM's website at the other Spider models available, the versions with the black inserts are also surlyn. So at least there are those and the white. For what it's worth, if you "build" a SpiderX and then play with all the rest of the colors, their pictures still show all of them using the soft insert and not aluminum. Hopefully that is the way they'll all come.

You are right and wrong....the 80/20 harder insert was renamed "hard surlyn...." The website used to say 80/20 which is the one DJ has always preferred. They changed the name from 80/20.....

After hours or research, I am pretty sure this is correct....

Original Red Jason Day Spider - surlyn (now AKA soft surlyn)...new red Spider tour is this also

Original Black DJ Spider - 80/20 (now AKA firm surlyn).... new black Spider tour is this also

MySpider - 3MM aluminum ***this was explained to me as somewhere between the two above but closer to the 80/20 AKA hard surlyn....the 3mm references the THICKNESS of the insert (a little under half as thick as the 5MM in the X...)

Spider X - 5MM "medium"

MYSpiderX - ?????????????? So far we have seen one MySpiderX with the 5MM "medium" and at least one aluminum in pictures in this thread.....to your point about the pictures when you design it being how they will ship...well, hard to argue with the pictures of the putters that people have arrived...they are clearly different as those guys smartly spotted above.

What I REALLY don't get, still, is how in the world the old 3MM inserts fit if they are 3MM and the Spider X is meant to hold the 5MM insert....I'm no engineer but....weird.

Note above - I left some of the other models out of this but these are the main ones that are gamed....

> @mjbaker80 said:

> > @Hammer22 said:

> > If you look on TM's website at the other Spider models available, the versions with the black inserts are also surlyn. So at least there are those and the white. For what it's worth, if you "build" a SpiderX and then play with all the rest of the colors, their pictures still show all of them using the soft insert and not aluminum. Hopefully that is the way they'll all come.

> You are right and wrong....the 80/20 harder insert was renamed "hard surlyn...." The website used to say 80/20 which is the one DJ has always preferred. They changed the name from 80/20.....

>

> After hours or research, I am pretty sure this is correct....

> Original Red Jason Day Spider - surlyn (now AKA soft surlyn)...new red Spider tour is this also

> Original Black DJ Spider - 80/20 (now AKA firm surlyn).... new black Spider tour is this also

> MySpider - 3MM aluminum ***this was explained to me as somewhere between the two above but closer to the 80/20 AKA hard surlyn....the 3mm references the THICKNESS of the insert (a little under half as thick as the 5MM in the X...)

> Spider X - 5MM "medium"

> MYSpiderX - ?????????????? So far we have seen one MySpiderX with the 5MM "medium" and at least one aluminum in pictures in this thread.....to your point about the pictures when you design it being how they will ship...well, hard to argue with the pictures of the putters that people have arrived...they are clearly different as those guys smartly spotted above.

> What I REALLY don't get, still, is how in the world the old 3MM inserts fit if they are 3MM and the Spider X is meant to hold the 5MM insert....I'm no engineer but....weird.

> Note above - I left some of the other models out of this but these are the main ones that are gamed....

>

I was told by TaylorMade engineers that the 5mm insert in the retail Spider X is the 80/20. So I don't think there's any third "medium" insert. It's just a 5mm 80/20 instead of 3mm.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

> @jll62 said:

> I was told by TaylorMade engineers that the 5mm insert in the retail Spider X is the 80/20. So I don't think there's any third "medium" insert. It's just a 5mm 80/20 instead of 3mm.

Pretty much what I got from them as well. I didn't do "hours of research...", but asked if the insert in the SpiderX I currently have would be the same if I made one custom. Was told this was the case. My reference to "soft" was simply to differentiate between the surlyn and aluminum. Staying with white, it will be the surlyn, and have no answer to why they'd swap in aluminum unless it's purely a matter of an inability to get the color set properly.

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

> @jll62 said:

> > @mjbaker80 said:

> > > @Hammer22 said:

> > > If you look on TM's website at the other Spider models available, the versions with the black inserts are also surlyn. So at least there are those and the white. For what it's worth, if you "build" a SpiderX and then play with all the rest of the colors, their pictures still show all of them using the soft insert and not aluminum. Hopefully that is the way they'll all come.

> > You are right and wrong....the 80/20 harder insert was renamed "hard surlyn...." The website used to say 80/20 which is the one DJ has always preferred. They changed the name from 80/20.....

> >

> > After hours or research, I am pretty sure this is correct....

> > Original Red Jason Day Spider - surlyn (now AKA soft surlyn)...new red Spider tour is this also

> > Original Black DJ Spider - 80/20 (now AKA firm surlyn).... new black Spider tour is this also

> > MySpider - 3MM aluminum ***this was explained to me as somewhere between the two above but closer to the 80/20 AKA hard surlyn....the 3mm references the THICKNESS of the insert (a little under half as thick as the 5MM in the X...)

> > Spider X - 5MM "medium"

> > MYSpiderX - ?????????????? So far we have seen one MySpiderX with the 5MM "medium" and at least one aluminum in pictures in this thread.....to your point about the pictures when you design it being how they will ship...well, hard to argue with the pictures of the putters that people have arrived...they are clearly different as those guys smartly spotted above.

> > What I REALLY don't get, still, is how in the world the old 3MM inserts fit if they are 3MM and the Spider X is meant to hold the 5MM insert....I'm no engineer but....weird.

> > Note above - I left some of the other models out of this but these are the main ones that are gamed....

> >

>

> I was told by TaylorMade engineers that the 5mm insert in the retail Spider X is the 80/20. So I don't think there's any third "medium" insert. It's just a 5mm 80/20 instead of 3mm.

Bingo, here. A lot of this is re-naming. Also FTR, I was not saying I've done "hours of research" to sound like an authority. It's simply because I've played Spiders since literally 2009 and have spun my head around multiple times trying to understand the differences in inserts/weights vs plugs, etc. I don't think I know any more than anyone else in here. And, when this all boils down, we are talking about the same things; different words/names, I beleive. Not to mention, TM has changed the names, I believe, in an effort to stop confusion like we have here, now....

I think you guys are dead on = the "medium" is the 80/20, now. Clear as mud, right??! :)

It remains a little confusing where the aluminum fits in all of this.... cheaper? Colorable? It seems that everyone agrees it doesn't feel as good....

I spoke with a source at TM last night that said the white one is the 80/20 (and is also the most used on tour). So, real bummer that the other colors will not be that IMO. I liked the feel a lot in the retail one.... oh, well.....

Hey guys thanks for all the great information. After reading over the forum multiple times, it seems, if I am reading correctly, the white insert will be the same as the spider x and any colored insert may be aluminum. Is that correct, and my question is....any thoughts on what the black insert will be made of. Thanks for the time and help

> @mjbaker80 said:

> > @jll62 said:

> > > @mjbaker80 said:

> > > > @Hammer22 said:

> > > > If you look on TM's website at the other Spider models available, the versions with the black inserts are also surlyn. So at least there are those and the white. For what it's worth, if you "build" a SpiderX and then play with all the rest of the colors, their pictures still show all of them using the soft insert and not aluminum. Hopefully that is the way they'll all come.

> > > You are right and wrong....the 80/20 harder insert was renamed "hard surlyn...." The website used to say 80/20 which is the one DJ has always preferred. They changed the name from 80/20.....

> > >

> > > After hours or research, I am pretty sure this is correct....

> > > Original Red Jason Day Spider - surlyn (now AKA soft surlyn)...new red Spider tour is this also

> > > Original Black DJ Spider - 80/20 (now AKA firm surlyn).... new black Spider tour is this also

> > > MySpider - 3MM aluminum ***this was explained to me as somewhere between the two above but closer to the 80/20 AKA hard surlyn....the 3mm references the THICKNESS of the insert (a little under half as thick as the 5MM in the X...)

> > > Spider X - 5MM "medium"

> > > MYSpiderX - ?????????????? So far we have seen one MySpiderX with the 5MM "medium" and at least one aluminum in pictures in this thread.....to your point about the pictures when you design it being how they will ship...well, hard to argue with the pictures of the putters that people have arrived...they are clearly different as those guys smartly spotted above.

> > > What I REALLY don't get, still, is how in the world the old 3MM inserts fit if they are 3MM and the Spider X is meant to hold the 5MM insert....I'm no engineer but....weird.

> > > Note above - I left some of the other models out of this but these are the main ones that are gamed....

> > >

> >

> > I was told by TaylorMade engineers that the 5mm insert in the retail Spider X is the 80/20. So I don't think there's any third "medium" insert. It's just a 5mm 80/20 instead of 3mm.

>

> Bingo, here. A lot of this is re-naming. Also FTR, I was not saying I've done "hours of research" to sound like an authority. It's simply because I've played Spiders since literally 2009 and have spun my head around multiple times trying to understand the differences in inserts/weights vs plugs, etc. I don't think I know any more than anyone else in here. And, when this all boils down, we are talking about the same things; different words/names, I beleive. Not to mention, TM has changed the names, I believe, in an effort to stop confusion like we have here, now....

>

> I think you guys are dead on = the "medium" is the 80/20, now. Clear as mud, right??! :)

>

> It remains a little confusing where the aluminum fits in all of this.... cheaper? Colorable? It seems that everyone agrees it doesn't feel as good....

>

> I spoke with a source at TM last night that said the white one is the 80/20 (and is also the most used on tour). So, real bummer that the other colors will not be that IMO. I liked the feel a lot in the retail one.... oh, well.....

"Re-naming" or not, the fact remains that when they released the Tour Spider 2(?) years ago they had 3 versions; the black DJ version with the current(?) white-ish Surlyn(?) face and the slightly softer red JD version with the black Surlyn(?) face and the "Tour Platinum", a gray-ish body with red colored "fins" with an Aluminum face.

The only material difference in the Tour Spiders" from the Tour Platinum, outside of the color of the putter itself and the hosel (which by now TM shows us there is no difference in $), was the FACE material/color AND the fact that the Surlyn faces retailed for $299 and the Aluminum faced putter retailed for $199.

BTW, sharp eyes seeing the aluminum with the tiny circles at each end of the grooves. Never would've noticed that,,,,,,, LOL

[Here's an older article with pictures that sums up the 3 older models.

](http://www.golfalot.com/equipment-reviews/taylormade-spider-tour-putter-review-3773.aspx "Here's an older article with pictures that sums up the 3 older models.

")

BTW, this picture may account for some of the difference between the depth of the inserts, 3mm vs. 5mm. IDK.

q9oz8sva2n9h.jpeg

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Great post, NSX. So, generally speaking the aluminum was paired with the cheaper (possibly more watered down) versions of the Spider, correct? I think the $199 version had the weight plugs, too....

That's a huge bummer IMO. You'd think paying $420 for a MySpiderX you would get the highest quality material.... I do know the white insert (80/20) is the one that is most played on tour....

The aluminum insert was in My Spider Tour. I really liked it, but the retail Spider X feels more solid.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Of all TM inserts I've tried, the 80/20 (I think that's what it's called) on the Spider Tour Black (and the Ghost Tour? putters) is my favorite. The Spider X feels very similar to me. Both feel better than the AGSI / aluminum inserts to me.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

> @mjbaker80 said:

> Great post, NSX. So, generally speaking the aluminum was paired with the cheaper (possibly more watered down) versions of the Spider, correct? I think the $199 version had the weight plugs, too....

> That's a huge bummer IMO. You'd think paying $420 for a MySpiderX you would get the highest quality material.... I do know the white insert (80/20) is the one that is most played on tour....

The thing about the "My" Tour Spider (original putter from 2 years ago) was that the info on their site (which is still there BTW) TELLS you you're getting the aluminum face instead of the Surlyn. So, assuming the Surlyn insert is the entire $100 difference ($199 vs $299) in the (original) retail version versus the "My" customization, you are actually paying $160 for the customization, not the $60 it "appears" as though it's costing you. ($360 vs $299)

The "My" Spider X info does NOT tell you you're getting the aluminum face. So again, assuming the Surlyn face is worth the entire $100 difference between the Tour Platinum and the "Tour", you are paying not $70 to customize the Spider-X but $170 (as you "lose" $100 with the aluminum insert).

So not only did they raise the price from $299 to $349 for what amounts to a slight re-design of the putter, and only offer 1 of the 2 faces from the "Tour" version, but THIS time they are not even telling you you're getting the aluminum face with the customized version - unless of course you ordered the "white"(?) face. LOL

Titleist Pro V1X

> @Kmac said:

> Well that's confusing, lol

Yeah, lil bit. But maybe that's what TM was counting on ? LOL

Originally, I know *I* was thinking "$60 for customizing a putter just the way I want it ? Not bad, not bad at all !!!" LOL

Although I DO admit, giving you the (apparently) more expensive "white" Surlyn face for the same price as the colored aluminum face is a bit puzzling,,,,,,,,,,,,

![](https://billtatro.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/download.jpg "")

Titleist Pro V1X

> @nsxguy said:

> > @Kmac said:

> > Well that's confusing, lol

>

> Yeah, lil bit. But maybe that's what TM was counting on ? LOL

>

> Originally, I know *I* was thinking "$60 for customizing a putter just the way I want it ? Not bad, not bad at all !!!" LOL

>

> Although I DO admit, giving you the (apparently) more expensive "white" Surlyn face for the same price as the colored aluminum face is a bit puzzling,,,,,,,,,,,,

>

> ![](https://billtatro.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/download.jpg "")

>

That is exactly the part I find confusing. You and a few others have done a good job digging into this though, well done. I want an all black My Spider X with the same insert as my retail one but black. That appears to not be an option if everything that we know is correct.

Why not buy a retail one and send it to get customized aftermarket? Likely come out to around the same cost.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

> @mjbaker80 said:

> That’s an idea but how to get rid of sightline.....

Could get it colored the same as the rest of the head. I guess this would be the best option for those really concerned about the insert.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Aluminum is more on the firm side. What trots was saying is that the 80/20, being that it has become thicker in the spider x, is “softER” than the aluminum.

Aluminum is underrated IMO. Have it in my spider red and it’s lights out, a slight insert feel with proper feedback. Solid audio feedback as well which is what I’ve found I loose with the X.

You are dead right buddy. He responded to a comment of mine saying exactly that!

So, I can we can deduce that aluminum is the hardest of the inserts. I know DJ has always liked harder ones generally so not shocked here.

While your play isn’t everything, it does make me happy to see that the aluminum gets your use. From the posts and price points it seemed that aluminum was possibly a cheaper lower quality option. But, can’t imagine DJ is looking to say money! Haha.

I guess we will just have to try it. As I said, I didn’t hate it in the MySpider. I just really like the X as is.

nq1hgz097wmk.png

Have gotten in 4 rounds so far with MySpider X and I've really started to like the aluminum insert. The feedback I get back on putts is great and I've easily had the 4 best putting rounds this year with it in the bag.

TaylorMade Stealth 2 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 Iron HZRDUS Black 6.5

TaylorMade P790 3 Iron Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade P770 4 Iron Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade P7MC 5-PW Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade MG Raw 52 & Hi-Toe 3 Raw 58 Dynamic Gold TI S400
TaylorMade Spider X Hydro Blast Slant Neck
Taylormade TP5x

I'm starting to warm up to the idea that the aluminum will be fine....especially if a player as good as DJ actually WANTED the aluminum in his rig. That sorta goes against my suspicion that aluminum was a cheap option that is colorable.... (yes I know cheaper doesn't mean it's bad)... but, it was starting to seem that TM may have picked aluminum simply because the color could be changed (vs it being a good feel). Perhaps it's not that simple....

I should have mine any day. And, having ordered in with a silver insert, I suspect it'll be aluminum.

I don't mind the feel of the aluminum, but can't stand how crappy it looks after a round or 2 as debris sticks between the rubber filled grooves. It's all but impossible to remove the debris. It's also very susceptible to damage, I've seen lots of the aluminum inserts with dents.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

> @mjbaker80 said:

> Not saying I don’t believe you at all but isn’t aluminum supposed to be the hardest? Surprised to hear that it would dent more than surlyn or the 80/20?

Aluminum may be the hardest feeling, but plastic doesn't readily dent like metal does

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

This might not be the right place for this, but when are they coming out with the slant neck Spider Mini in silver????

Taylormade M1 9.5°  |  Speeder 661

Ping G 14.5°  |  Aldila NV 75

Titleist T-MB 21°  |  S400

PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW  |  Elevate Tour X100

Callaway MD Forged  |  Recoil 125

Taylormade  |  Spider Tour Black