Played a Private Course And Regret It

My only advice if you're considering joining a private club is don't drag a friend along. Private clubs are not only about the quality of golf but meeting other members and developing new friendships.

THIS.

My wife just started playing last year, and really enjoys it, so we decided to take the plunge and get a membership somewhere. We looked at a few privates and a few publics in the area. When we visited the course we eventually joined, all the members were very friendly and outgoing, and the place just felt right. We've been members for just over a year now, and have developed a lot of close friendships. I've got a group of about 8 guys that I'll play regularly with, and about another dozen that I'll play random occasional rounds with. I've played more golf in the last year than I did in the previous 15 years combined (I picked up the clubs again about 3 years ago after a long hiatus where I only played drunken charity scrambles). The club has really become the focal point of our social lives, and it's been fantastic.

Glad for you and the wife. When we first joined a private club, we did it for golf. But I am a joiner, and so is my wife. I signed up for a few committees, and my wife did the same in the women's club. Before I knew it, I was chairing committees and found myself meeting darn near all the members. Like you, the Country Club became the focal point in our social lives. I joined inter-club team play a year later, and so did my wife. We had so much fun when we got home from work we seldom left our gated community. Our non-club long-time friends loved visiting us for days and golfing. We took the street-legal golf cart everywhere.

I can't say enough good things about private club membership and living in a gated community. The club room bartender even kept my brand of single malt for me behind the bar. Except it must be said, not everyone is cut out for private club golf and social lifestyle. For the time being, we're club-less but looking forward to finding another club in the not too distant future when we're both retired and find our final gated golf course community home. Anyway, good luck and great golf. :beach:

Can you please elaborate what you mean by the following statement:

"not everyone is cut out for private club golf and social lifestyle."

I have encountered many people that for different reasons don't fit into private clubs. The biggest reason, however, is they are not joiners and maybe shy, socially. I won't go into the second reason.

After many years chairing membership committees and on the BOD and visiting other private clubs to see how they lead & manage, there's a core reason many new members leave within a year. Most clubs don't have programs that help new members assimilate.

Also, private clubs have a rule limitation that new members are seldom told exists. A limited number of times members can bring friends to play each month. That number depends on the clubs charter.

Accordingly, shy new members are left to make friends on their own. After an extended period in a private club, to some people, it can appear difficult to get into inner-circles to make new friends. A husband or wife might be a joiner, but the SO may not be, which can be challenging at home. Though private club golf is in many ways superior to public golf, even golf clubs without country club facilities have social structures. :beach:

“SO” ?

What do you mean by this? The limit on any 1 guest who can play in a calendar year or????

For instance, my club allows me to bring any one guest a maximum of two times per month. Though I don't think it's strictly enforced.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

What do you mean by this? The limit on any 1 guest who can play in a calendar year or????

Every private club I have been invited to play in CA, AZ & TX has a limit as to how many guests a member can invite within a given time period. How many guests and time period varies per club charter. The idea being, people join private clubs for private golf and socializing with other members. If someone wants to play golf with their friends, its best to play public as I did or not to join a private club with such restrictions. :beach:

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

For instance, my club allows me to bring any one guest a maximum of two times per month. Though I don't think it's strictly enforced.

Exactly like my club. But as some of the long-time members explained when I joined, it's not enforced to prevent someone from literally bringing a guest out for the third time on the 31st of some particular month or anything like that. It's to keep people who ought to be joining the club as members themselves from just showing up as a guest over and over and over.

Heck, our guest fees are high enough if I wanted to bring a buddy out three times in the same *week* the club would probably be glad to take my money!

Every private club I have been invited to play in CA, AZ & TX has a limit as to how many guests a member can invite within a given time period. How many guests and time period varies per club charter. The idea being, people join private clubs for private golf and socializing with other members. If someone wants to play golf with their friends, its best to play public as I did or not to join a private club with such restrictions. :beach:

There is no limit for the number of guests I can entertain per year, but each guest can only play 5 times in a calendar year REGARDLESS of who they are playing with at both my clubs. I can take up to 7 guests (except during member tee times) with me as well. Both are pretty exclusive, but they don't have the total number of different guests you can invite is XYZ. I do know of one club that will only permit 12 different guests per month, we can probably find a club that will have just about any scenario we put out here.

Exactly like my club. But as some of the long-time members explained when I joined, it's not enforced to prevent someone from literally bringing a guest out for the third time on the 31st of some particular month or anything like that. It's to keep people who ought to be joining the club as members themselves from just showing up as a guest over and over and over.

Heck, our guest fees are high enough if I wanted to bring a buddy out three times in the same *week* the club would probably be glad to take my money!

Exactly, my guest fees are high as well, especially with the caddie/cart stipulation for all guests. There is also a restriction on any former members.

same guest limitation isn't odd but most clubs don't really enforce it.

There are many reasons why you would play privates but my main one is flexibility and ability to finish a round in less than 2.5 hours on a weekday. I just took a 3 hour lunch break and finished playing at lake nona in about 2.15 as a two some. Playing at a muni would guarantee 4.5-5 hours round that doesn't include travel time. This just doesn't fit into my schedule or lifestyle.

Being in a private isn't for everyone. What is more important to you will determine if it's a good fit. Don't ever view it as cost per round. That'll just annoy you if you don't play enough.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

For some people, especially younger people, it can be smarter to join a club as a social member instead of a golfing member. Usually a social member can pay the guest fee and play the course a limited number of times each month. This is nice if you have a long winter when you don't play at all. Your winter costs will be lower than your summer months when you're playing.

You may not have full access to the practice area, or may be asked to pay to hit balls on the range, but it could still work out to be less expensive overall.

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

For some people, especially younger people, it can be smarter to join a club as a social member instead of a golfing member. Usually a social member can pay the guest fee and play the course a limited number of times each month. This is nice if you have a long winter when you don't play at all. Your winter costs will be lower than your summer months when you're playing.

You may not have full access to the practice area, or may be asked to pay to hit balls on the range, but it could still work out to be less expensive overall.

Around me it’s generally limited to about 4 times a year. Not a great plan as junior dues tend to be heavily discounted.

"SO" ?

Significant Other.

Lol, I read it and at first thought he was just saying "so what" to Pepper.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

"SO" ?

Significant Other.

Lol, I read it and at first thought he was just saying "so what" to Pepper.

Lol. That’s funny. I felt like he meant spouse but significant other never popped up. Sexual Opposite? Because you are trying to think a couple but they may not be married. But then that wouldn't be sensitive to same sex couples. What a mess we find ourselves in because of changing relationship arrangements.

• 9 months later...

> @jshel said:

> I haven't played Fargo CC, but have played Moorhead CC fairly recently and Oxbow a million years ago.

What did you think about the course?

> @radiman said:

>

> The one club I could possibly afford doesn't seem to have much of a social scene. There is golf, a pool, and a bar. I think it is a golf first club. So, I don't see my social life (or lack there of) changing much. If I do join, I may wait until the end of next year. They always do an August deal. Pay $500 to play the rest of the season and that goes towards your membership the next year. Maximize my investment you could say.

OP, did you end up joining one of these options this year? I'm back to considering -- with Edgewood shut down on the Fargo side, I can barely get a tee time at the other proper 18-hole course covered by my parks permit.

Didn't expect to run into a thread about Fargo golf on here, holy smokes! I'd love some playing partners around here. I'm originally from Wisconsin, went to college in Forks, and live in Fargo now with only a couple of people who I can only occasionally fit a round in with. I'm in my 30s, mid-single digit handicap and play anywhere around that anyone wants to play at.

Sorry for thread hijacking!

I'll give you my experience with joining a private club over here in Washington.

I've been a member at my club for about 1.5 years now and it was worth the transition for me. My goal was to get better at golf and it was a perfect fit for me. Luckily we have a ton of PGA pro's, former pros, college golfers, and great amateur golfers so it makes finding others to play with easier.

A lot of people have made some good points in regards to the pros with joining a private club. MUCH faster pace of play so you get done quickly, unlimited range balls, top course conditions, and the people I've met at the club have made some great connections outside of my golf life.

Since we have a "junior/intermediate" membership, I went from paying $130/month for unlimited 18 hole play card at my local muni to paying around $400/month in dues with $1k down (plus food minimum).

It all depends on what you value and want out of the club.

TM Qi10 LS - Ventus Blue 6X

TM Stealth 2+ 3W - Ventus Blue TR 7X

Titleist TSi3 3H - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Titleist T150 - KBS Tour 130X

Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw (50, 54) - DG S400

Vokey SM9 Black Raw - S400

Bettinardi Queen B #15

My wife and I also just joined a private club. The thing that put us over the edge was the indoor practice facilities. They have 2 indoor hitting bays, 2 Sims, and an indoor putting green. That will make getting through winter a lot more tolerable.

For the last couple seasons we were members at a local Muni. Got sick of the 5 hour rounds, constant events shutting down the course, and a driving range that looked like a mine field.

> @tjl48 said:

> My wife and I also just joined a private club. The thing that put us over the edge was the indoor practice facilities. They have 2 indoor hitting bays, 2 Sims, and an indoor putting green. That will make getting through winter a lot more tolerable.

>

> For the last couple seasons we were members at a local Muni. Got sick of the 5 hour rounds, constant events shutting down the course, and a driving range that looked like a mine field.

This is one thing holding me back. I live in a winter-heavy climate (no chance of any golf for at least 5 months), and the private clubs have only very basic single-bay sim setups that they then charge extra for. I'd easily pay a few hundred/month if I could play year-round (outdoor summer/indoor winter), but if my monthly dues only really cover 6 months of golf and no sim time for when the course is closed, the value proposition becomes skewed. Mileages may vary for those who enjoy the non-golf events clubs put on (I don't particularly).

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but it bears repeating: do not make your decisions based on friends. I see it as well that the "young guys" the club is trying to get all seem to have this need to play together or don't play at all. Which is really sad. Yes, a regular group will likely form at some point. In my case, one of the fellas gets up every weekend morning and makes the tee times(he gets a bottle of something each year from me), but we never have an issue with someone jumping in, unless they play slow.

This will sound harsh, but sometimes you have be willing to lose something to gain something. If a private club is what you want(be it due to quicker rounds, access to facilities, whatever), then you have to decide what is more important to you. It's a bit like when you finish high school. Did you base your decision on what to do next based on your friends?

I've started playing a bit with a guy who is a darn good player, but his schedule is tough because he has young kids. I suspect we'd be playing every weekend under different circumstances. Anyway, he was telling how he had joined last season with a buddy of his, thinking they would play a ton. He did, the buddy didn't, and the buddy didn't come back this year. I know a lot of guys who would have not come back either because their buddy didn't. But this guy did, and doesn't regret it. But he also makes an effort to put himself out there. The only times I've said no to "mind if I join you?" is if we either already have 4, or we are playing a match(club event, not our own little bet thing). Otherwise, they're a member as well. Worth at least one round.

Maybe I'm cynical because I've been burned in the past, but if a friend happens to come along, great, but I'm not going to do or not do something based on that, because more often than not, I end up not doing what I want to do because they don't do it. At its heart, this is an individual sport.

> @leejohnkieh said:

> I'll give you my experience with joining a private club over here in Washington.

> I've been a member at my club for about 1.5 years now and it was worth the transition for me. My goal was to get better at golf and it was a perfect fit for me. Luckily we have a ton of PGA pro's, former pros, college golfers, and great amateur golfers so it makes finding others to play with easier.

> A lot of people have made some good points in regards to the pros with joining a private club. MUCH faster pace of play so you get done quickly, unlimited range balls, top course conditions, and the people I've met at the club have made some great connections outside of my golf life.

> Since we have a "junior/intermediate" membership, I went from paying $130/month for unlimited 18 hole play card at my local muni to paying around $400/month in dues with $1k down (plus food minimum).

> It all depends on what you value and want out of the club.

Which is also ridiculously cheap for Greater Seattle I would assume, if I can get away with referring to Tacoma in such a manner. Do things go up a bunch at full membership?

$5k/year in dues for a similar quality course in the Bay Area is a non-starter.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @duffer987 said:

> > @leejohnkieh said:

> > I'll give you my experience with joining a private club over here in Washington.

> > I've been a member at my club for about 1.5 years now and it was worth the transition for me. My goal was to get better at golf and it was a perfect fit for me. Luckily we have a ton of PGA pro's, former pros, college golfers, and great amateur golfers so it makes finding others to play with easier.

> > A lot of people have made some good points in regards to the pros with joining a private club. MUCH faster pace of play so you get done quickly, unlimited range balls, top course conditions, and the people I've met at the club have made some great connections outside of my golf life.

> > Since we have a "junior/intermediate" membership, I went from paying $130/month for unlimited 18 hole play card at my local muni to paying around $400/month in dues with $1k down (plus food minimum).

> > It all depends on what you value and want out of the club.

>

> Which is also ridiculously cheap for Greater Seattle I would assume, if I can get away with referring to Tacoma in such a manner. Do things go up a bunch at full membership?

> $5k/year in dues for a similar quality course in the Bay Area is a non-starter.

From my understanding it does not. It's perfect to join at my age.

TM Qi10 LS - Ventus Blue 6X

TM Stealth 2+ 3W - Ventus Blue TR 7X

Titleist TSi3 3H - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Titleist T150 - KBS Tour 130X

Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw (50, 54) - DG S400

Vokey SM9 Black Raw - S400

Bettinardi Queen B #15

• 2 weeks later...

give it a few weeks. You will soon forget

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

• 1 month later...

> @ChipDriver said:

> Dont compare - it will drive you nuts.

>

>

>

> Clearly you appreciate better golf - but if you try to join a club - join the one you just played. Why? B/c it is now your “standard”

>

> And only clubs in that range will be as impressive to you.

>

>

>

> To put it another way the club you played will still be nicer than other cheaper country clubs.

I had a very similar conversation with a guy about Rolex watches once. He has a Rolex that he paid about $5,000 for. I said I want a Submariner, but I can't in any way reasonably afford one (they start at about $8,000 used). I said that I'd found a bottom-tier Rolex online for about $2,200. He says "You know what that $2,200 watch is?" What? "Nothing but disappointment," he says. Goes on to say that if I get that bottom-tier watch when I really want the Sub, that I'll just look at my watch every day and wish I'd waited to get the one I really wanted. Get what you really want. Wait for it if it's not attainable. But don't settle for less just because it's "private." You'll go to the club every day and wish you were down the street. Also, never compare money between public and private...it almost never works out favorably on a balance sheet for the private club.

• 2 months later...

In my town (very large) there are only two privates better than the best public. I vastly prefer the public track as you can play fast early, and you meet people from all over the country who are there to play. The two privates I would even consider joining are non-starters. You need to be asked to join and we can't afford it anyways. I think there's a place for private club but it has to fit your situation.

I live in NJ and have played quite a few private courses.

I currently have a limited membership to my private club. During certain times of the season I can play twice a month just about everyday, but during certain hours, Then as the season progresses, I have no restrictions, but the weather and course conditions change.

I originally joined as a dining member with my wife and we loved it, but I wanted to experience playing the course and having access to the facilities.

In my experience, it is great to have your own facilities at a private course to work on your game. I think that is the biggest take away.

I decided that once my membership expires, I am going back to dining.

I love the course and the access, but the times I went or was allowed to play, I did not meet a lot of new members. Plus, I am under 40 and there are not a lot of members there in my age range.

Also, I am fortunate to have about 6 courses in my county that have excellent course conditions and I can play for under $50 each. I have a few friends that I play those courses with and have just as much, if not, more fun golfing with them than I do at my club.

Overall, each experience is subjective. Would/Will I join another club down the road where I have full privileges with no restrictions? Probably. When? I am not sure.

Also, I have played private courses where the layout, conditions, amenities, etc. were not much better, if better at all, than public courses.

It is a great experience to play a private course(s), but if you go into it thinking its all sunshine and lollipops, that is not always the case.

• Like 1