Stewart Hagestad - WITB 2019 US Open

GolfWRX ·  
GolfWRXGolfWRX Team GolfWRX 8911WRX Points: 610Marshals Posts: 8,911 Marshals

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Posted:

Comments

• TitletownTitletown  389WRX Points: 231Members Posts: 389 Greens

what's the point of the anchor ban?

Posted:

Driver: Callaway Mavrik (9°) / Tour AD-DI

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik (16.5°) / Tour AD-DI

Hybrid: Callaway Apex '19 (20°) / Tour AD-DI

Irons: Callaway X-Forged (4i-9i) / KBS Tour V

Wedges: Callaway MD4 (46.10 - 50.10 - 54.08 - 58.08) / KBS Tour V

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten S

Ball: Chrome Soft X Triple Track

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • jonsnowjonsnow Georgia 1407WRX Points: 378Handicap: 8.3Members Posts: 1,407 Platinum Tees

Looks like fresh wedges for the U S Open.

Posted:
    WITB:
    Ping G410 Plus 9
    Ping G400 14.5
    Titleist 910H 19
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-PW
    Vokey SM6 50,54,60
    Cameron Newport 2
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

Clubs are subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination at any time...
  • swgolf12swgolf12  1062WRX Points: 206Members Posts: 1,062 Platinum Tees

Thanks Greg! Always love seeing what Stew is bagging.

And the point of the anchor ban is to ban anchoring a club against your body. You can hold the club however you like not anchored against your body, like many players are doing today.

Posted:
    • 16' M2 8.5* TPT 14 Proto
    • 917F2 16.5* Diamana D+90
    • Vapor Fly Pro 3 Fuji Pro 95
    • VR Pro Combo 4-PW 
    • SSC Don White Grind 53/58
    • PM Grind 64
    • Studio Design 1.5 Circle T/ Cameron Catalina Two Welded Neck / Newport T22
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, Scotland 3217WRX Points: 1,088Members Posts: 3,217 Titanium Tees

Do many amateurs have Trackman?

Posted:
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • 300_yard_drives300_yard_drives  1257WRX Points: 163Jr. Boomers Posts: 1,257 Platinum Tees

Money is not an issue for him. There is a reason he stayed amateur

On -, @OldTomMorris said:

Posted:
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, Scotland 3217WRX Points: 1,088Members Posts: 3,217 Titanium Tees

On -, @300_yard_drives said:

I've heard that before but it doesn't answer the question. Trackman can also be rented. Was wondering if many, especially the calibre of player thats plays the really big events incl. Walker Cup, have their own Trackman.
    If he's financial secure and has the game then is the reason a lack of ambition?

Posted:
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Titleist Pro V 1x

Advertisement
  • ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub  3135WRX Points: 1,280Handicap: 1.7Members Posts: 3,135 Titanium Tees

On -, @Titletown said:

what's the point of the anchor ban?

To keep people from anchoring?

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX ||  Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
    Titleist 915FD 15* Kuro Kage DC 80TX || Taylormade RSI UDI 16* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour-Spec X
    Titleist 915FD 18* Kuro Kage 100XTS || Srixon Z U65 Utility 18* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour-Spec X
    Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid
    Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 26*- 36* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 40*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Special 61* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Bullseye shaft

WITB Thread
  • pt73pt73  675WRX Points: 131Members Posts: 675 Golden Tee

Maybe he didn’t want the grind of being a Pro or figured he didn’t have the game to make it big.

This article may give some clues to why:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/us-open-2019-this-amateur-accomplished-something-that-hasnt-been-done-in-34-years

Posted:

On -, @pt73 said:

Maybe he didn’t want the grind of being a Pro or figured he didn’t have the game to make it big.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/us-open-2019-this-amateur-accomplished-something-that-hasnt-been-done-in-34-years

I'd come across that article before so I get that, it was more of a rhetorical question as I think it's strange that any comment about anything related to this guy and someone posts about his financial position. The guy must love golf and playing tournaments so I find it a little strange that people seem to infer that because he has money it's the reason he isn't interested in playing professional. You can play pro golf even if your motivation isn't money. Playing amateur events must be more of a grind in some ways as the pros, certainly the PGA Tour at their events, get the best of everything. Anyway it's entirely his prerogative.

Posted:
    Post edited by OldTomMorris on
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • bullsfanbullsfan  488WRX Points: 78Members Posts: 488 Greens

I think it's awesome that he wants to keep his amature status and not turn pro, sounds like he knows his limitations, even though I personally think he'd do really good out there. Takes a lot of self confidence to know that one has a good game and it's not as strong as your peers. success comes in many forms, look at Bobby Jones.

Posted:

• MattyO1984MattyO1984  5822WRX Points: 1,315Handicap: 3Members Posts: 5,822 Titanium Tees

Extremely envious of the fresh SM6's. Mine are on the way out and I just had to replace my 60.04 SM6 with an SM7 which is absolutely fine, I just loved the look of the 6's.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019

Advertisement
  • JokesJokes  168WRX Points: 47Handicap: +1.4Members Posts: 168 Fairways

Watched him hit balls the past two days and he is by far the lowest ball hitter I have ever seen. This led to some awesome flighted wedges though.

Posted:
    PING G410 LST | Tensei Orange 70TX
    Ping G410 LST 15 | AD-DI 8X
    Titleist 718 T-MB 3 Iron  | Dynamic Gold 120X
    Ping Blueprint 4-PW | Dynamic Gold 120X
    Vokey SM7 52F, 56M, & 60L | Dynamic Gold X100
    Scotty Cameron Concept 2 Super Rat
  • pt73pt73  675WRX Points: 131Members Posts: 675 Golden Tee

On -, @bullsfan said:

I think it's awesome that he wants to keep his amature status and not turn pro, sounds like he knows his limitations, even though I personally think he'd do really good out there. Takes a lot of self confidence to know that one has a good game and it's not as strong as your peers. success comes in many forms, look at Bobby Jones.

Agree, seen this same situation at my club, good players giving a shot as a pro with none making it and almost all giving up the game totally disillusioned. Very sad.

Posted:
  • Lakers2020Lakers2020 Southern, CA 51WRX Points: 24Handicap: 5-7Members Posts: 51 Bunkers

I've heard that before but it doesn't answer the question. Trackman can also be rented. Was wondering if many, especially the calibre of player thats plays the really big events incl. Walker Cup, have their own Trackman.
    If he's financial secure and has the game then is the reason a lack of ambition?

Even if he comes from a wealthy family why wouldn't he want to turn pro? Isn't he a financial analyst in NY or something? lol.

Posted:

On -, @Lakers2020 said:

Even if he comes from a wealthy family why wouldn't he want to turn pro? Isn't he a financial analyst in NY or something? lol.

It's entirely his prerogative, just always thought that "he comes from wealth or has wealth" was a strange default position to answer the question regarding playing golf professionally. They aren't mutually exclusive.
    Never got any input on top level amateurs with TrackMan.

Posted:
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • Lakers2020Lakers2020 Southern, CA 51WRX Points: 24Handicap: 5-7Members Posts: 51 Bunkers

On -, @Lakers2020 said:

It's entirely his prerogative, just always thought that "he comes from wealth or has wealth" was a strange default position to answer the question regarding playing golf professionally. They aren't mutually exclusive.
    Never got any input on top level amateurs with TrackMan.

Agreed. He wouldn't be the first person from a rich family to play professional sports.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Dr. BombayDr. Bombay  270WRX Points: 90Members Posts: 270 Greens

On -, @pt73 said:

I'd come across that article before so I get that, it was more of a rhetorical question as I think it's strange that any comment about anything related to this guy and someone posts about his financial position. The guy must love golf and playing tournaments so I find it a little strange that people seem to infer that because he has money it's the reason he isn't interested in playing professional. You can play pro golf even if your motivation isn't money. Playing amateur events must be more of a grind in some ways as the pros, certainly the PGA Tour at their events, get the best of everything. Anyway it's entirely his prerogative.

Go to the Walker Cup website and there's a good interview with Stew before the event, he touches on the questions you have.

Bottom line, has plenty of dough and enjoys the cocktail circuit where he's a big fish in a small pond. Stew is a great player but he'd be average at best out on tour, probably struggle to keep a card...check that, would probably struggle to get a PGA Tour card. There's not a door in the golf world that isn't already open to Stew, playing professionally would do nothing for him.

I caddied in his group in a matchplay event a while back, pretty classy guy.

PS...and yes, that's his own personal TrackMan, he ain't renting it!
    PPS...odds are good he did not pay for that TrackMan -- at most he got it for cost.

Posted:
  • vrnynvrnyn Canada 324WRX Points: 71Handicap: 4.5Members Posts: 324 Greens

Just finished listening to "The Back of The Range" podcast and Hagestad touches on why he hasn't given a run at pro golf.
    He said if he were to play pro golf he wouldn't be able to be the type of husband and father he wants to be, and also sites the fact that he's not that good compared to the pros.

Posted:
    M5 9.0* 
    915d 18*
    915d 21*
    716 AP2 4&5
    714 CB 6-P
    SM7 52-F,56-S
    SM6 60-K
    Futura X5

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.