2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

So happy, so angry!

Mych

Shot my best round today, 76. Previous best was 79 a few times. Putter was on fire, driver didn't get me in trouble, short game was good enough. 10 pars, 3 birdies, 4 bogeys through 17, 1 over par. 18 is a par 4 with water on both sides, so I hit 4 iron off the tee, not great but safe. I have 180 left and hit a 6 iron hosel rocket into the water. I drop and have 130 left, pulled the 4th shot and it's sitting below a greenside bunker. Pitch over the bunker and 2 putt for a triple bogey 7.

37 on the front, 1 over through 17, and all I can think about is the triple on 18 that took me from a realistic shot at 73 to a 76.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

I was 1 over through 14 once, before I had ever broken 80. It definitely hit me at that point. So I started telling myself “just 4 bogeys and you’ve got this”. Then I said “Screw that, 4 pars for a 73”. I went bogey-bogey-bogey (and got darn lucky with the bogey on 17). Piped a drive on 18. Little 9 iron left but had to clear a pond. Chunked it into the pond. Darn near shanked the drop but barely kept it on dry land. Chipped up and 2 putted for triple. 79.

I was happy. But I was MAD!!!

• Like 1

> @freeze16172002 said:

> you thought about it and tried to hard to play 18 safe

100% true. Holes 15-18 on that course is a pretty challenging set of finishing holes, so I'm usually a little more conservative on those.

15 is a long par 5 that I managed to birdie. Missed the green on par 3 16, but got up & down for par. Took an aggressive line on 17 and missed, but had a great recovery shot. Ended up with a bogey which isn't a bad score on that hole. So I knew after making it through 15, 16, and 17 that all I needed was to cruise to the finish and avoid any big mistakes. Well... that didn't go so well. lol.

WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

> @Mych said:

>So I knew after making it through 15, 16, and 17 that all I needed was to cruise to the finish and avoid any big mistakes. Well... that didn't go so well. lol.

Yeah, cruising never seems to work out all that well in golf. Even so, it was a personal best, and you know for certain you can go even lower. A question seems appropriate. Next time, would you play 18 the same, or be more aggressive off the tee?

> @davep043 said:

> > @Mych said:

> >So I knew after making it through 15, 16, and 17 that all I needed was to cruise to the finish and avoid any big mistakes. Well... that didn't go so well. lol.

>

> Yeah, cruising never seems to work out all that well in golf. Even so, it was a personal best, and you know for certain you can go even lower. A question seems appropriate. Next time, would you play 18 the same, or be more aggressive off the tee?

The hole narrows and punishes a slightly errant shot at driver distance, so I think I'd choose the same club off the tee with a different line down the left side of the fairway. Also, I could have chosen an easier shot after I got blocked out by the tree. I tried to hit a slight draw around it without leaving it out to the right (water). I could have hit PW easily up over the tree and have an easy wedge into the green, then 2 putt for a bogey.

ndjn75j8xpyl.jpg

> @Mych said:

> > @davep043 said:

> > > @Mych said:

> > >So I knew after making it through 15, 16, and 17 that all I needed was to cruise to the finish and avoid any big mistakes. Well... that didn't go so well. lol.

> >

> > Yeah, cruising never seems to work out all that well in golf. Even so, it was a personal best, and you know for certain you can go even lower. A question seems appropriate. Next time, would you play 18 the same, or be more aggressive off the tee?

> The hole narrows and punishes a slightly errant shot at driver distance, so I think I'd choose the same club off the tee with a different line down the left side of the fairway. Also, I could have chosen an easier shot after I got blocked out by the tree. I tried to hit a slight draw around it without leaving it out to the right (water). I could have hit PW easily up over the tree and have an easy wedge into the green, then 2 putt for a bogey.

> ndjn75j8xpyl.jpg

>

>

If you're comfortable with your decision-making, it was just a bad shot. We all hit them more than we want to. You'll do better next time.

> @Mych said:

> Shot my best round today, 76. Previous best was 79 a few times. Putter was on fire, driver didn't get me in trouble, short game was good enough. 10 pars, 3 birdies, 4 bogeys through 17, 1 over par. 18 is a par 4 with water on both sides, so I hit 4 iron off the tee, not great but safe. I have 180 left and hit a 6 iron hosel rocket into the water. I drop and have 130 left, pulled the 4th shot and it's sitting below a greenside bunker. Pitch over the bunker and 2 putt for a triple bogey 7.

> 37 on the front, 1 over through 17, and all I can think about is the triple on 18 that took me from a realistic shot at 73 to a 76.

If on your first hole you "hit 4 iron off the tee, not great but safe. I have 180 left and hit a 6 iron hosel rocket into the water. I drop and have 130 left, pulled the 4th shot and it's sitting below a greenside bunker. Pitch over the bunker and 2 putt for a triple bogey 7" but then proceeded to make "10 pars, 3 birdies, 4 bogeys on the next 17 holes" would you be happier?

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @Mych said:

> > Shot my best round today, 76. Previous best was 79 a few times. Putter was on fire, driver didn't get me in trouble, short game was good enough. 10 pars, 3 birdies, 4 bogeys through 17, 1 over par. 18 is a par 4 with water on both sides, so I hit 4 iron off the tee, not great but safe. I have 180 left and hit a 6 iron hosel rocket into the water. I drop and have 130 left, pulled the 4th shot and it's sitting below a greenside bunker. Pitch over the bunker and 2 putt for a triple bogey 7.

> > 37 on the front, 1 over through 17, and all I can think about is the triple on 18 that took me from a realistic shot at 73 to a 76.

>

> If on your first hole you "hit 4 iron off the tee, not great but safe. I have 180 left and hit a 6 iron hosel rocket into the water. I drop and have 130 left, pulled the 4th shot and it's sitting below a greenside bunker. Pitch over the bunker and 2 putt for a triple bogey 7" but then proceeded to make "10 pars, 3 birdies, 4 bogeys on the next 17 holes" would you be happier?

Yes... lol. I would rather the bad hole come early before my confidence is high. After playing 17 holes with nothing more than a bogey, the possibility of a big number wasn't even crossing my mind.

> @Ferguson said:

> It appears as though you didn't follow Sam's credo which by all accounts seems to be your credo.

>

> 9jjdu8z1kfhw.png

>

>

> "If you don't play safe regularly, don't start on 18."

> - E. Fritz Roberts

>

>

>

Fantastic point!!!

Congrats. I play with a group of guys that most are scratch or + hcp. Most of them play a lot of tournaments and ones doing a lot of Monday qualifying for web events. One of my really good pals in this group plays with a very accomplished Amateur golfer who gave the advice that to be really good a golf you have to have a very short memory. He hits a bad shot and moves to the next shot. I hit a bad shot then compound it by trying to play outside my ability till I’m full tilt and have cost myself a few strokes.

What a beautiful relaxing game golf is.

Hit em straight.

All Clubs subject to change relative to my last bad round of golf......

"tis golf.......

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

delete the "so angry" part. You broke 79. Go do it again.

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

Putt-putt can be brutal... B) kidding of course, saw your avatar. Think about the 17 good holes, that's 94% that was only 1 over- pretty decent, so I wouldn't dwell too much on the 6% or one hole that didn't turn out well. At least you know why. Turn your anger into an opportunity for improvement and be happy about the entire round...

Playing the same course tomorrow. Can't expect the putter to be as good as last week, but I'll get another shot at 18 and hopefully remove the triple bogey as my most recent golf memory.

> @LeftDaddy said:

> I was 1 over through 14 once, before I had ever broken 80. It definitely hit me at that point. So I started telling myself “just 4 bogeys and you’ve got this”. Then I said “Screw that, 4 pars for a 73”. I went bogey-bogey-bogey (and got darn lucky with the bogey on 17). Piped a drive on 18. Little 9 iron left but had to clear a pond. Chunked it into the pond. Darn near shanked the drop but barely kept it on dry land. Chipped up and 2 putted for triple. 79.

>

> I was happy. But I was MAD!!!

Even "better" is when you've got a guy in your foursome who, along about the 15th hole, starts saying before every shot things like, "Just be sure to avoid doubles from here on in and it's a career round" or "Keep playing good, par in for a 75".

Yeah thanks, buddy. I really needed on MORE voice in my head trying to jinx me...

Well, played the same course Saturday and lightning didn't strike this time. Driver was more unpredictable and I didn't sink all of my 10 footers like last time. Still a respectable score for me (40/43), but definitely wasn't on pace for mid-70's again for very long.

I made a little bit of a mess on 18 again. Teed off with long iron again, which had been my most consistent club off the tee all day but I flared it out to the right and it found the water. 3rd shot to the fringe, up & down for a bogey, but still better than the triple bogey last time.

> @Mych said:

> Well, played the same course Saturday and lightning didn't strike this time. Driver was more unpredictable and I didn't sink all of my 10 footers like last time. Still a respectable score for me (40/43), but definitely wasn't on pace for mid-70's again for very long.

> I made a little bit of a mess on 18 again. Teed off with long iron again, which had been my most consistent club off the tee all day but I flared it out to the right and it found the water. 3rd shot to the fringe, up & down for a bogey, but still better than the triple bogey last time.

You bring up a point that not everyone understands. Many times we see a choice between driver and long iron lay-up, and the assumption is that the driver is always wild, and the long iron is always in the fairway. Speaking only for myself, I know I can hit a bad shot with every single club in the bag. I don't make my choices assuming I'll hit a bad shot, but neither do I assume that the long iron choice is foolproof. A lay-up simply decreases the risk of a really bad result by some small amount. A lay-up also increases the chance of a bad result on the following shot by some small amount, since it will almost certainly be a longer shot than if I had used driver.

> @davep043 said:

> > @Mych said:

> > Well, played the same course Saturday and lightning didn't strike this time. Driver was more unpredictable and I didn't sink all of my 10 footers like last time. Still a respectable score for me (40/43), but definitely wasn't on pace for mid-70's again for very long.

> > I made a little bit of a mess on 18 again. Teed off with long iron again, which had been my most consistent club off the tee all day but I flared it out to the right and it found the water. 3rd shot to the fringe, up & down for a bogey, but still better than the triple bogey last time.

>

> You bring up a point that not everyone understands. Many times we see a choice between driver and long iron lay-up, and the assumption is that the driver is always wild, and the long iron is always in the fairway. Speaking only for myself, I know I can hit a bad shot with every single club in the bag. I don't make my choices assuming I'll hit a bad shot, but neither do I assume that the long iron choice is foolproof. A lay-up simply decreases the risk of a really bad result by some small amount. A lay-up also increases the chance of a bad result on the following shot by some small amount, since it will almost certainly be a longer shot than if I had used driver.

The real problem is that I don't really have a less-than-full driver swing that I trust. A full driver or fairway wood can run out of room on the left (at about 260yds). A wide driver (either way) is wet. I can carry driver enough to cut the corner, but the risk always seems to outweigh the reward. My objective was to get 225-235 out of my long iron, leaving about an 7-8 iron approach.

I told my buddy that one day I'm going to pay for a round and just play 18 over and over until I come up with a strategy that I like. The hole isn't very difficult, but it is good at highlighting the weaknesses in my game.

That's life I think. If you're a fan of other sport's teams think about the times you've watched them play in playoffs or finals and they lost. It's instant devastation. Suddenly the entire great season preceding the loss is forgotten and the team is suddenly thought of as failures. I've been guilty of this but I'm trying to be better. It's not the triple bogey that hurts so much as it is the hope and subsequent disappointment. Don't get down about the failure. Be happy that you had the opportunity.