Won the golf lottery...Never broken 85 but just shot 74 @ Oak Quarry

USCdrifter

Here's a little background to the story:

I'm a 13.7 handicap or was before this round. I've shot an 84 once on a short course and an 80 once on my home course both over 1 year ago. I've never broken 85 on, what I would consider, a full, challenging course. I typically shoot around an 88 to low 90s average for the last 6 months or so. I've been grinding on my short game for the last 1-2 years trying to teach myself chipping and putting. I've shot a 5 over a few times over 9 holes but always screw it up somewhere with some doubles or more. There have been plenty of times where I think I've got it figured out only to be struck down by the golf gods.

I shot 2 over on the front 9 and didn't see my first double till hole 13. I actually completely shanked an approach 6 iron to the right and shanked the proceeding chip in to the rough. My buddies thought this was where I would unravel. I got up and down from there and proceeded to birdie the next 2 holes. I almost never get a birdie on the card and all of a sudden my buddies, who were obviously losing every bet against me, started rooting for me to keep it together. Closed up the round by getting up and down from off the green and 1 putt for par.

The best part is that my buddies have been giving me crap for not taking expensive lessons with them. I've been telling them I can feel it now and that its been coming together for quite a while now even though my scores have still averaged high 80s. This round it all finally came together and I got to rub my sh*t grin all up in their face. I've been grinding and I own this swing. I now have my Al bundy story to reminisce on for eternity on one of the best tracks in so cal. Im trying not to look into the future when I shoot 90 again or maybe, just maybe, I've popped my cherry and I've just begun my quest to single digits.

Side note: I just slipped a Honma driver in the bag a few rounds ago that I picked up off Ebay on a whim. ;)

Honma 737-445cc 9.5 driver Honma Vizard 70g

Adams Pro Mini 18 Aldila Tour green

Adams Pro Mini 23 Aldila Tour green

Nike VR Forged MB 4-PW

Cleveland 588 Endo Forged MB 4-PW

Miura 50 Forged Wedge, Yururi Forged Wedge 53, Honma Forged Wedge 56

Ping Anser 4 BECU w/ UST frequency filtered shaft

Jones William Murray edition carry bag

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nicely done. Those "Bishop in Caddyshack" rounds are really fun when they happen. Oak Quarry can be a beast if your game is off.

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Well done...congrats! You'll enjoy it for a while, then you'll set some new goals. One of the great things about this game is that there's almost endless opportunity to improve.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Nice work! I've been wanting to get out there and play that track but my buddies are scared of a little drive from LA. Might just have to go solo; it looks amazing.

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

> @DavePelz4 said:

> Congrats USC! Have you played another round since? How'd you play?

I played a few days later on another tough track.....................................back in to the 80s. Dave...I credited your books for my record score but after the last round, I may have to go back and review a few chapters.

Nike VR Forged MB 4-PW

> @aenemated said:

> Nice work! I've been wanting to get out there and play that track but my buddies are scared of a little drive from LA. Might just have to go solo; it looks amazing.

We live in the SGV area so its a drive for us as well. We usually play at first light and its about a 45 minute drive at that time. There's not much to play in LA and if you guys aren't heading east to Corona area, you're missing out on some great courses.

Nike VR Forged MB 4-PW

Wish I had a buck for every low round that I thought was this some sort of huge epiphany round and I have just figured out the entire game. To be shortly followed by my usual rounds or worse!

p.s. make sure that new Honma driver is conforming. Played with an older gentleman last weekend who I’ve played with a few times in the past and he’s suddenly bombing the ball an extra 20 yards. Checked his driver when I got home only to find it was on the nonconforming list?

> @Swisstrader98 said:

> p.s. make sure that new Honma driver is conforming. Played with an older gentleman last weekend who I’ve played with a few times in the past and he’s suddenly bombing the ball an extra 20 yards. Checked his driver when I got home only to find it was on the nonconforming list?

I just checked...the TW 737 445 head is on the conforming list. I would probably credit the honma shaft on it that is a high kick, low trajectory shaft which feels like my buddies hazurdus black shaft. The first time I hit his shaft, I realized it was completely different and reminded me of the first time I hit my blades. My old swing could barely get the ball off the ground but these low trajectory shafts gave me the feedback to load it up properly and let er rip. My dispersion has gotten much better and I'm getting a nice ball flight.

My buddies like to roast me for rolling up with a Honma but this thing is nothing like the senior clubs were used to seeing associated with the brand.

Nike VR Forged MB 4-PW

That is a massive personal best improvement in one round

It's always fun when you don't collapse when that type of round comes together

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @HonestPlayer said:

> Did you change your mentality during the round? What was your mindset for that round and has it changed since? Any diet changes? Played at a different time of day? Hitting something different off the tees? Hottest putter you've ever had Variables?

I wish I knew the secret sauce. We played our normal time which is close to first light but we did get about 10-15 minutes on the range to smack some balls which we don't usually do. This may have gotten me in the correct groove before our start. I finally got my low trajectory Honma driver working. Keep in mind, my first few weeks with the driver were horrendous and I could barely get the ball off the ground and was dribbling up to the red tees a number of times. It felt like the period when I transitioned to blades and couldn't hit the ball worth a damn - a truly humbling experience. But eventually, I got the feedback from the clubs and gave it the swing it wanted to deliver the shot I was looking for. So this was actually the first round where I was able to hit decent drives with the Honma driver and obviously it went quite well.

This was a pretty tight and tricky canyon type course so I just kept telling my self to shorten my back swing and focus on impact. This little tip may have prevented me from over swinging - less smash and more precision. I hit a lot of fairways and hit a lot of greens but not exactly close. I successfully lag putted a few 30-40 foot putts but also left a bunch like 6 feet short. I just happened to sink those 6 footers on follow up. Trust me...I keep replaying the round to figure out how the hell this happened because I've never had a round like this. Don't get me wrong, I practice a lot of short game and stuff so its not impossible to shoot a good round, just highly improbable based on my record.

Nike VR Forged MB 4-PW

> @USCdrifter said:

> > @HonestPlayer said:

> > Did you change your mentality during the round? What was your mindset for that round and has it changed since? Any diet changes? Played at a different time of day? Hitting something different off the tees? Hottest putter you've ever had Variables?

>

> I wish I knew the secret sauce. We played our normal time which is close to first light but we did get about 10-15 minutes on the range to smack some balls which we don't usually do. This may have gotten me in the correct groove before our start. I finally got my low trajectory Honma driver working. Keep in mind, my first few weeks with the driver were horrendous and I could barely get the ball off the ground and was dribbling up to the red tees a number of times. It felt like the period when I transitioned to blades and couldn't hit the ball worth a **** - a truly humbling experience. But eventually, I got the feedback from the clubs and gave it the swing it wanted to deliver the shot I was looking for. So this was actually the first round where I was able to hit decent drives with the Honma driver and obviously it went quite well.

> This was a pretty tight and tricky canyon type course so I just kept telling my self to shorten my back swing and focus on impact. This little tip may have prevented me from over swinging - less smash and more precision. I hit a lot of fairways and hit a lot of greens but not exactly close. I successfully lag putted a few 30-40 foot putts but also left a bunch like 6 feet short. I just happened to sink those 6 footers on follow up. Trust me...I keep replaying the round to figure out how the **** this happened because I've never had a round like this. Don't get me wrong, I practice a lot of short game and stuff so its not impossible to shoot a good round, just highly improbable based on my record.

>

Nice. Sounds like your short game was on point - especially close putts. Then with the driver hot it was a recipe for a great round.

I feel like for me to break 80 I’m going to need to find a really good groove with a 3 iron or a wood. I broke 90 today for the first time - 88. Best I’ve putted - cost myself shots with 2 lost balls.

Good luck getting to 73 next - and lower.

> > > @HonestPlayer said:

> Nice. Sounds like your short game was on point - especially close putts. Then with the driver hot it was a recipe for a great round.

>

> I feel like for me to break 80 I’m going to need to find a really good groove with a 3 iron or a wood. I broke 90 today for the first time - 88. Best I’ve putted - cost myself shots with 2 lost balls.

I don't use a wood but I've discovered something recently in my swing that has made me very proficient with my 2 hybrid off the tee. I hit it somewhere between 225-240 off the tee and used it a few times that round. It's my go to shot now when I'm staring down a tight or small fairway. In fact, I used it off the tee on 18 when all my buddies were using driver trying to carry and fade a bunker. I'm guessing that hitting more fairways, not scrambling from trouble all day and sinking some putts just continued building momentum throughout the round. Its humbling when I have my hybrid in my hand off the tee and my buddies are trying to smash drivers trying to carry a hazard, but it feels awesome when youre in the middle of the fairway and theyre punching out of the trees. I've started to play my game and not try to keep up with my friend that's a single cap. I've come to realize he's a 6 and can hit certain shots that I cant hit reliably like a wood out of a fairway bunker or stingers under branches. I need to play my game and not focus on trying to play his game.

Nike VR Forged MB 4-PW

• 3 weeks later...

wow...I've now played 3 rounds in the low 80s in the past week or two and I'm hoping I can keep this up. I've been using my 18 degree 2 hybrid off the tee on a lot of holes and have been hitting more fairways. Either I'm getting better or I'm playing smarter

Nike VR Forged MB 4-PW

> @USCdrifter said:

> wow...I've now played 3 rounds in the low 80s in the past week or two and I'm hoping I can keep this up. I've been using my 18 degree 2 hybrid off the tee on a lot of holes and have been hitting more fairways. Either I'm getting better or I'm playing smarter

Congrats! What's that handicap index trending down to now?

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

> @USCdrifter said:

> wow...I've now played 3 rounds in the low 80s in the past week or two and I'm hoping I can keep this up. I've been using my 18 degree 2 hybrid off the tee on a lot of holes and have been hitting more fairways. Either I'm getting better or I'm playing smarter

Well so much for HC..... Much be closer to 11 now.

> @vbb said:

> Congrats! What's that handicap index trending down to now?

Since that day, my last 4 rounds have been sub 85! My index was sitting at 14 or so for more than a year and since that breakthrough about a month ago, I've shaved it down to a 10.

My local par 3 range changed owners last November, so I cancelled my range membership and decided to stop practicing that way. I used to smash balls a lot and lately I've been playing more and have had lots of 9 holes mixed in. I've been grinding on putting and short game almost exclusively. I had been practicing short stuff almost everyday during the winter and spring after work. Since I had been chipping so much, I've developed more "feels" in my hands and set up that has carried over to my long game. I practically stopped long game practice but my striking has actually gotten better. I somehow developed a really strong 2 hybrid shot, both fairway and tee, without even practicing it on the range. Now I feel like I'm a few putts and dunking some wedge shots away from breaking 80 more regularly.

Nike VR Forged MB 4-PW

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on your new low score. Not saying it can’t be done, but it’s gonna be hard to beat that.

My buddies and I love playing Oak Quarry. We usually put together two or three groups and go out before 7am. My best score there was a 75 and I’ve only tied it once! Sounds like we should play together and pit our groups against each other. ?

PM me and we can exchange numbers. We play all over between LBC courses to OC to Corona/Riverside, and of course Palm Springs in the summer!

[indent=1]M2 Atmos Black[/indent]
[indent=1]M2 Speeder[/indent]
[indent=1]Ping G Tensei Blue[/indent]
[indent=1]p790 Modus 130[/indent]
[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]