Budget driver

Ivyguy

Hey yall!

I have been hitting the 17 M2 and cobra f8 (and +) with similar results. I am not a fan of driver being the most expensive stick in the bag.

I can get a good deal on either, which would you go with?

Very general, sure, but being fitted into a low spin driver has been disastrous. I had great luck with my G15 before going into a TS3...

What say you?

Thanks in advance.

Go with what you like best. They are both great clubs and I've owned both. My personal preference is the cobra, I loved that club but eventually settled on a g400. For me the cobra is prettier, better feel and sound, and more forgiving. The M2 was a little longer. Also, someone is blowing out m3's on ebay and has been for a few weeks. They're going for at or less than $200 per auction. The M3 can be adjusted to where it is the same club as the M4.

• Like 1

> @Ivyguy said:

> Hey yall!

>

> I have been hitting the 17 M2 and cobra f8 (and +) with similar results. I am not a fan of driver being the most expensive stick in the bag.

>

> I can get a good deal on either, which would you go with?

>

> Very general, sure, but being fitted into a low spin driver has been disastrous. I had great luck with my G15 before going into a TS3...

>

> What say you?

>

> Thanks in advance.

My spending mentality overall is to spend where it makes sense, and make sure big purchases are well fit to yo... For instance, I took a flyer on a $50 hybrid because I won't hit it that often and as long as it works decently, I can ignore that gap until I have everything else in my bag settled.

On the driver front, I'm going to get fit and find whatever works best for me and then plan on keeping it for 5 years. If I can do that cheap with last years model, great... if it requires a new model and a custom shaft... it sucks, but at least I'll have what I want for a little bit.

I've made the mistake of spending $150 on three different drivers... I wish I had just spent $600 on one. Just make sure whatever you buy will stay in your bag for awhile and everything will be good.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Ha! I’m now shopping last years models... callaway rogue sub zero might be a new toy

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Budget is subjective.. whats your price range? $100-150, $$200-250 etc... Tons of options in those categories.. My last 3 drivers were all budget for me (sub $200) and still within the 2018 model year M4, F8+ and 400 LST.. All of which are great drivers still found on Tour.. I guess pick a price point and search.. but you cant really go wrong with anything in the last 3 years

> @Ivyguy said:

> Hey yall!

>

> I have been hitting the 17 M2 and cobra f8 (and +) with similar results. I am not a fan of driver being the most expensive stick in the bag.

>

> I can get a good deal on either, which would you go with?

>

> Very general, sure, but being fitted into a low spin driver has been disastrous. I had great luck with my G15 before going into a TS3...

>

> What say you?

>

> Thanks in advance.

Without knowing ANYTHING about how you swing a club. PURELY on the word "Budget" No other talk about, hitting it straight, hitting it far etc.

To me Most underrated driver, offered to the masses and could be potentially played by the greater general public.

TM Jetspeed driver. to me this was the most updated version of the 07 burner.... Forgiving, hot enough balanced club good enough and CCCHEEEAAPP!!!!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=taylormade+jetspeed+driver&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=1&_sop=15&_oac=1

Ebay got plenty of them.... super underrated....

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

910,913 d3 can be had at a great price. I keep going back to my 910 after searching for a better driver over the last year

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

Cobra Fly-Z +. Get the green one. It goes straighter.

I bought this 3 years ago and it was one year old technology. The shaft is a little long so choking up was necessary. That turned out to be a good thing because I slowed my tempo a bit and tried to hit the ball in the center of the face. Buy some sort of magic, the ball went just as far and a lot straighter. 250 carry, roll out depends on rain.

Just as an aside, I found it when you open up yourself to consider older or used equipment, there are more choices to find out what really fits your game. In the big picture ,tinkering may not save a lot of money but it sure is fun.

I can attest to your post. Had a F8+ that was an anniversary gift from work I chose, custom built through Cobra and was playing great then hit an m6, mistake #1. Then won a big pot on the PGA and chose a m5 tour and have lost it all on the tee with driver. Got an old g15 myself that never let me down. Probably going back to my F8+ though.

> @Ivyguy said:

> I'm looking at under 300.

>

> Thanks for the input guys/gals!!!!

Under $300 LOL! Dude you just gotta wait about 3 weeks after the first release..... and the Demo's and returns start to come in. most $499 drivers get put in the used bin at $299. The prior Season stuff I see all at $199. IM STILL too cheap at $199 and just wait..... I got a play around Cobra Fly Z driver for $79.00

Just waiting for some of the Cobra Kings to hit those numbers and I am going to grab one for the heck of it......

Lord knows what the original M1 &M2's are selling for... LOL!

Man when you say budget... $300 is scary...... that $300 would buy my whole bag of irons HAHAHAAHAHA!!!

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

I would say the regular PING G400...you can get new for $300 on PGA SS website, '17 M2 is a good choice and the M4 can be had at under $300 used in most shops.

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @Exactice808 said:

> > @Ivyguy said:

> > I'm looking at under 300.

> >

> > Thanks for the input guys/gals!!!!

>

> Under $300 LOL! Dude you just gotta wait about 3 weeks after the first release..... and the Demo's and returns start to come in. most $499 drivers get put in the used bin at $299. The prior Season stuff I see all at $199. IM STILL too cheap at $199 and just wait..... I got a play around Cobra Fly Z driver for $79.00

>

> Just waiting for some of the Cobra Kings to hit those numbers and I am going to grab one for the heck of it......

>

> Lord knows what the original M1 &M2's are selling for... LOL!

>

>

> Man when you say budget... $300 is scary...... that $300 would buy my whole bag of irons HAHAHAAHAHA!!!

Lol, man I have been saving for a bit. I'm a penny pincher.

Love my '17 M2. I have been through many drivers over the past couple of years, trying just about anything I could. I was never a fan of the '16 M2, just didn't feel forgiving enough so I stayed away from the '17 until I started playing with a guy who bags it and just hit it straight almost every time. I decided to give it a go, and I find it WAY more forgiving than the '16 M2 and no slouch in the distance category. I really have to put a bad swing on this thing to lose it... fantastic driver, firmly planted in the bag. I highly recommend it.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

> @Nixhex524 said:

> Love my '17 M2. I have been through many drivers over the past couple of years, trying just about anything I could. I was never a fan of the '16 M2, just didn't feel forgiving enough so I stayed away from the '17 until I started playing with a guy who bags it and just hit it straight almost every time. I decided to give it a go, and I find it WAY more forgiving than the '16 M2 and no slouch in the distance category. I really have to put a bad swing on this thing to lose it... fantastic driver, firmly planted in the bag. I highly recommend it.

Your post made me wonder at the actual measured differences between the two models. Fortunately, the site which shall not be named has the relevant data for these two models. Let's take a look. :)

2016 M2 - 2.1mm above the neutral axis, MOI of 4601

2017 M2 - 4.0mm above the neutral axis, MOI of 4746

The difference in MOI, 145 gm-cm², is small enough that I'd call it negligible. Which suggests there were other factors involved in your personal experience. The CG being almost 2 mm higher suggests it's possible you may just prefer a higher CG in your driver?

the other glaringly obvious possibility is the shaft. Perhaps the shaft in the 17 fits you perfectly, while the one in the 16 was not? Not just flex, but possibly also weight, or even the length of the club? Or did you have the exact same shaft in each?

Couple random thoughts while sifting thru Monday morning emails. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

My golf Thai?

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

I’ve been rolling this concept in my mind a lot... the question becomes how do you find the right fit with used equipment and then acquire it... do you settle for good, while hoping for great?

I’m honestly not sure... I am hoping to hit the rogue sub Zero today and see if I like the feel... I can get a used one for under $200 with decent shaft options directly from callaway.

If I don’t like it, I’m sure what my next steps will be.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

If you live near a 2nd Swing location, or a golf retailer that deals in used equipment and has launch monitors available, it's pretty straightforward. You can try various equipment and buy the exact stick that suits you.

Failing that, it's a lot of trial and error. As an example, you can buy something in the WRX BST, if you don't like it, you can list it again in BST and would be out relatively little money. Going this route can be a bit more random. It's not necessarily ineffective, but it can take more time than a fitting based search.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @tbsbama said:

> Cobra King LTD is a wonderful driver. The pro model has lofts from 7 to 10 with fade settings. The regular from 9 to 12 with draw settings. Both heads are absolute bombers and can be found pretty cheap. Best driver I have hit in several years.

These are on eBay now for just over $100. I've been tempted, but gonna try to make it through this season with the handed down rbz. See what happens to the prices coming into winter.

There are very few drivers you can get away with "recommending" with out knowing anything about the swing.......but the 2016 M2 is one of them

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple