Little Bit of Everything

**About Me:**

Currently I am a +1.6 handicap and looking to improve. As of now I am just about average with everything I do including putting, short game, irons, and driving. Specifically in irons and driving I hit about 8 or 9 out of 10 shots good and where I intend them to go. The thing that is killing my game right now are those other 1-2 shots because they are so offline or poor that it basically costs me a stroke right away. I want to try to figure out why these inconsistencies happen and how to fix them. Moving forward I want to play in some tourneys around the state and local area however I don't see this being a possibility if I don't figure out these kinks.

**My Swing:**

I am looking at areas of suggestion for all parts of my swing because I know it is far from perfect. The main things I would like to improve on include posture and how high my hands are coming into the ball (shallowing it out more). Posture wise something just looks off to me but I am not sure what it is. Besides this any tips regarding my swing and tips to improve are great and I thank you ahead of time.

Here is a swing with a 7 iron. I would like to keep this thread going and filled with swing changes. If there are any other angles that might be beneficial or of help just let me know and I will post them.

If you're a +1.6, nothing you do is average! At this stage in your game you'd probably be better off finding a local teacher to help refine the game a bit and not get advice from us!

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Backswing is good, not much to see there. You have a lot of flexibility so one idea would be to limit your shoulder turn and try to maximize your arm swing (will help you stay connected-this will help my next point too). Your arms/hands are behind your hips on the downswing so a lot of your inconsistency comes from having to save the club face with your release. You're obviously a good play so your timing is on a lot of the times but when it's not, you're getting the wild ones.

Watch Justin Rose this weekend and notice how he rehearses his downswing. He said he tries to have his back face the target as long as possible.

> @syenkoc said:

> There are a lot of good things going on in this swing. I don't see anything posture related that warrants changing. In fact, I would be hard-pressed to suggest any major changes.

>

> The clubface is slightly shut at the top and coming into impact. There is nothing wrong with this per se, you just need to be aware of the kind of misses it can create. With better players, a shut face can lead to the odd disastrous snap hook, if they tend or try to play a draw. A bad swing with the club coming too far from the inside combined with a shut face, creates a screaming toe hook, as you get doubled-up on the gear effect. The easiest solution here is to make sure you don't miss from too far inside - commit to becoming a fader. Many high-speed, shut-face players (DJ, Brooks, Rahm, etc.) have gone this route.

As you mentioned I do get the double toe hook occasionally which leads to some poor results. As far as becoming a fader I was thinking the same thing. I was at the US open the last four days and the number of players that fade vs draw the ball is insane. I’ve been practicing to get more from the outside but it’s been a long journey considering I’ve been playing a drag my whole life.

@jokes The biggest issue in your swing is related to your hip movement. Your hip turn in the backswing seems very limited, then in the downswing they fire too quickly and not quite in the right way (the big slide forward). There are many reasons people use the hips the way you do, including for power, or trying to swing to right field, or trying to hit a draw, ect ect. I don't know if any of those are your intentions or not, but something to consider.

The light turn in the backswing added to the big slide and right hip firing up and towards the target line quickly in the downswing is likely causing your right shoulder to drop significantly in the downswing, throwing the club under plane, which causes the hooks and blocks.

First thing to work on is the hip turn in backswing, right hip needs to get deeper (away from target line in DTL view)

Golfing Ginger
So glad I picked an outside activity...

> @copperjeff said:

> @jokes The biggest issue in your swing is related to your hip movement. Your hip turn in the backswing seems very limited, then in the downswing they fire too quickly and not quite in the right way (the big slide forward). There are many reasons people use the hips the way you do, including for power, or trying to swing to right field, or trying to hit a draw, ect ect. I don't know if any of those are your intentions or not, but something to consider.

>

> The light turn in the backswing added to the big slide and right hip firing up and towards the target line quickly in the downswing is likely causing your right shoulder to drop significantly in the downswing, throwing the club under plane, which causes the hooks and blocks.

>

> First thing to work on is the hip turn in backswing, right hip needs to get deeper (away from target line in DTL view)

If I were to guess I am using the hips like this for extra power. So basically you want more hip turn in the backswing along with the right hip firing level with the ground instead of upwards?

> @golfinz said:

> Backswing is good, not much to see there. You have a lot of flexibility so one idea would be to limit your shoulder turn and try to maximize your arm swing (will help you stay connected-this will help my next point too). Your arms/hands are behind your hips on the downswing so a lot of your inconsistency comes from having to save the club face with your release. You're obviously a good play so your timing is on a lot of the times but when it's not, you're getting the wild ones.

>

> Watch Justin Rose this weekend and notice how he rehearses his downswing. He said he tries to have his back face the target as long as possible.

Looking at my swing I always thought it was the arms that are going too far back and not the shoulders over rotating. It would prevent me from getting stuck to get less shoulder turn and more arm dominant in this aspect of my swing?

> @Jokes said:

> > @copperjeff said:

> > @jokes The biggest issue in your swing is related to your hip movement. Your hip turn in the backswing seems very limited, then in the downswing they fire too quickly and not quite in the right way (the big slide forward). There are many reasons people use the hips the way you do, including for power, or trying to swing to right field, or trying to hit a draw, ect ect. I don't know if any of those are your intentions or not, but something to consider.

> >

> > The light turn in the backswing added to the big slide and right hip firing up and towards the target line quickly in the downswing is likely causing your right shoulder to drop significantly in the downswing, throwing the club under plane, which causes the hooks and blocks.

> >

> > First thing to work on is the hip turn in backswing, right hip needs to get deeper (away from target line in DTL view)

> If I were to guess I am using the hips like this for extra power. So basically you want more hip turn in the backswing along with the right hip firing level with the ground instead of upwards?

>

>

Not exactly..... check out this instagram post by Monte Scheinblum ....

Explains hip movement quite well.

Golfing Ginger

> @Jokes said:

> > @golfinz said:

> > Backswing is good, not much to see there. You have a lot of flexibility so one idea would be to limit your shoulder turn and try to maximize your arm swing (will help you stay connected-this will help my next point too). Your arms/hands are behind your hips on the downswing so a lot of your inconsistency comes from having to save the club face with your release. You're obviously a good play so your timing is on a lot of the times but when it's not, you're getting the wild ones.

> >

> > Watch Justin Rose this weekend and notice how he rehearses his downswing. He said he tries to have his back face the target as long as possible.

>

>

> Looking at my swing I always thought it was the arms that are going too far back and not the shoulders over rotating. It would prevent me from getting stuck to get less shoulder turn and more arm dominant in this aspect of my swing?

I believe he is referring to downswing not backswing. Either way, your hips are way out in front.

Start with the deeper hip turn in the backswing, and just that. If you try and put too much into your swing too quickly you will ruin any chance you have at playing golf while the swing adjusts.

Golfing Ginger

> @Jokes said:

> > @golfinz said:

> > Backswing is good, not much to see there. You have a lot of flexibility so one idea would be to limit your shoulder turn and try to maximize your arm swing (will help you stay connected-this will help my next point too). Your arms/hands are behind your hips on the downswing so a lot of your inconsistency comes from having to save the club face with your release. You're obviously a good play so your timing is on a lot of the times but when it's not, you're getting the wild ones.

> >

> > Watch Justin Rose this weekend and notice how he rehearses his downswing. He said he tries to have his back face the target as long as possible.

>

>

> Looking at my swing I always thought it was the arms that are going too far back and not the shoulders over rotating. It would prevent me from getting stuck to get less shoulder turn and more arm dominant in this aspect of my swing?

I think the reason your hands/arms are so far behind your body is that your arms, at the top of your swing, have rotated or moved too far (I have the same issue). Your movement to the ball is athletic and strong but your arms/hands are disconnected from your lower body. Imho, if you try to limit your shoulder turn you will naturally keep your arms/hands more in front of your chest/body.

> @laneholt said:

> JOKES,

> Some more FACTS for you—-

> The lever system formed by the world’s greatest players by PULLING the hands up and around the torso to “ STRETCH the left side LAT and back muscles ( those stretched muscles used to PULL your lever back down and around to provide the ONLY POWER ) is / was — ALWAYS BEHIND THE TORSO ON THEIR DS. AKA - the dog wagging the tail.

> I will never understand how this , “ you got the club STUCK BEHIND YOU and this will cause the HANDS to throw and hook the ball !” Let’s just observe a few who gets it STUCK behind their torso and they can play a little. — Ben Hogan, Sergio Garcia, Ricky Fowler, Rory . I could name thousands more, but these seem to work.

> And these players DON’T duck hook it. They can move it left or right anytime they desire. I would urge everyone trying to learn this great game to use their skills of observation instead of regurgitated opinion and theory.

> Lane

>

>

>

>

> players don’t

>

>

>

>

Where do you come up with this nonsense? Getting the club stuck will indeed cause exactly that, there's thousands of videos out there proving it. None of those guys you mentioned end up stuck unless it's a bad swing.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

If you are only hitting one to two bad shots a round maybe those shots should be seen as outliers? You should chart them and think about those swings. Are they swings where you have more tension or are under pressure? Is there any pattern on where these shots occur? If you're playing at +1.2 you are getting it done with the swing and it may be a mental issue not a mechanics problem. As AP said swing your swing you're not a single digit guy who has consistency issues you're dealing with anomalies.

> @copperjeff said:

> > @Jokes said:

> > > @copperjeff said:

> > > @jokes The biggest issue in your swing is related to your hip movement. Your hip turn in the backswing seems very limited, then in the downswing they fire too quickly and not quite in the right way (the big slide forward). There are many reasons people use the hips the way you do, including for power, or trying to swing to right field, or trying to hit a draw, ect ect. I don't know if any of those are your intentions or not, but something to consider.

> > >

> > > The light turn in the backswing added to the big slide and right hip firing up and towards the target line quickly in the downswing is likely causing your right shoulder to drop significantly in the downswing, throwing the club under plane, which causes the hooks and blocks.

> > >

> > > First thing to work on is the hip turn in backswing, right hip needs to get deeper (away from target line in DTL view)

> > If I were to guess I am using the hips like this for extra power. So basically you want more hip turn in the backswing along with the right hip firing level with the ground instead of upwards?

> >

> >

>

> Not exactly..... check out this instagram post by Monte Scheinblum ....

>

> Explains hip movement quite well.

I worked on the hips today and eliminated any chance of going left which is nice. I am hitting huge slices with my driver however... is this getting exaggerating now with the over-rotation of my shoulders and hips working more correct?

@Jokes I saw no issue with how much rotation you have in your shoulders in the backswing.

My advice is to hit 100 yard shots with your 7 iron while working on the hips. Making swing changes and immediately trying to implement them into driver is difficult.

I have my suspicion of whats happening with your driver if your hips are moving like they should, but I want to see video first just in case my hunch is wrong.

Edit: Also, changing the way your hips move is a BIG change, and will likely take a bit of effort. Certainly more than a day or two. However, eliminating the lefts is likely very good news, PLEASE get some video showing you working on the hip changes and post it up or PM me with the link.

Golfing Ginger

> @laneholt said:

> Jokes,

> IMO, concentrating on HIP movement is like practicing how I am going to walk today. Which foot am I going to put forth first to start ? What is the distance between my feet when I walk ? I doubt if you Have EVER given that any thought BC our brain is NOT concerned about our feet or HIPS. They are in our subconscious genetic design and their is no need to consciously try to control them. Name me ONE sport you played where your hips were your main focus. If you request this of your brain it will obey and you may have the best looking hip movement in the history of mankind, BUT YOU WILL NEVER HAVE A DECENT GOLF SWING BECAUSE THE DOMINANT PART OF YOUR BODY ( those thingies on the ends of you arms that attach to the end of that lever/ shaft — our HANDS that control body movement ) will “ A L W A Y S “ roll over , turn down and ruin your golf shot if not trained and left unattended !

> Not interested in berating anyone about their theories or opinion. Just posting some FACTS that can easily be confirmed with some simple research !

> Wishing you Good luck,

>

> Lane

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

First, this dude has a really good swing already, given his skill he shouldn't be taking advice from you or really anybody here that isn't an instructor, but then again there's a lot of guys here who have some great advice from teachers they've worked with over the years or even learning from some of the great teachers that do post here. At his level everything he's going to do is just going to be small refinements and should be done with somebody watching his ball flight.

You practice certain movements so it becomes "muscle memory" so you don't have to think about it, they just become reactionary to other movements. In sports when you break it down to fundamentals that's exactly what you're doing, learning how to walk again.

Hips play a huge role in numerous sports. In hockey you need proper hip movement for skating and shooting a puck (which is very similar to a golf swing), in baseball you use your hips in the swing to create power and control. In golf a proper hip movement is critical, there's a reason all tour guys have very similar movements in their hip turn back and hip turn through. I can't think of a single sport where hips don't play a roll somewhere.

You don't request this movement from your brain when you're on the course, you train yourself and practice enough to where the movements become natural. It might be having to sit on the range making 1000 half swings just focusing on hip movements at first, but you train yourself until it becomes natural. There's a reason no teacher in the world teaches golf the way you talk about it. It's nonsense and it won't work. Even teachers who teach an arm swing still teach proper body mechanics because you can't get the club into certain positions without them. Swinging with just your hands will result in poor shoulder turn and probably a really killer cast straight from the top and zero power. I'm really curious what your swing looks like with all the nonsense you spout here.

To the OP, like @copperjeff stated, use a shorter club to work on swing changes, not the driver!

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/muscle-memory

No such thing of something that has thousands of articles written by tons of scientists....

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

The same applies to any sport which you train for certain movements and hell, like the article says, it applies to walking. You don't think about it when you walk. When I teach somebody how to skate, you have to teach proper hip movements especially to skate backwards and turn correctly or otherwise you'll fall right on your a**. You keep practicing it until the feel becomes as simple as walking, you don't think about because you don't have time to think about it, you just make it so it's natural.

With what your'e explaining, you're essentially dismissing what every great teacher teaches in the golf swing. The hands are you're connection to the club, they're the first thing that will get feed back from the club. I'm not sure how genetics plays a role in swinging the club, unless we're going to inject the genes of Hogan into each one of us, but I guess we'll go with that. If you swing solely with your dominant hand, I'd be willing to bet most people will end up swinging off plane and not have enough shoulder or hip rotation going back. Yank that "lever" down from the top and the only way you'd get back to the ball is with a nice cast, but more than likely instead of yanking down you'll end up seeing most people just throw that club right over the top and at the ball. You train certain movements until that feel becomes natural and you don't need to think about it, call it muscle memory or whatever you want, but that's how it works. Anyway, not sure why I'm bothering, you seem hell bent on this hands swing. However, for a player like this who already has a great game, I would advise avoiding this big time.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @Jokes said:

> Question: how does the shoulder movement work in the swing? Is it similar to the hips it completely different movement all together?

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @laneholt said:

> Jokes,

> Almost 1/2 of your brain is dedicated to your —- HANDS ! I can promise you NO great athlete in any sport EVER was thinking about their hips when they performed a split second action . The Human is ONLY capable of organizing and performing ONE task in the 2/10 seconds in the golf DS or any other sport for that matter.

> If you intend to raise your right hand upward to the right your arm will accommodate that request and raise it up. Where do your shoulders ( AKA - upper arms ) go. Right shoulder goes up with it and left shoulder goes down. If you intend to to strike someone behind you with the butt of you right hand ( as in karate ) where do your shoulders go? Did you have to instruct your shoulders to perform this task, or do they obey the commands of the HANDS ?

> You see- our brain is constantly sending signals to our HANDS to perform task for us. Most are in our subconscious and no thought is ever given to them. Golf is NOT in our subconscious. It is a conscious learned skill just as baby learning to take a spoon full of food to it’s mouth . Tying shoelaces, riding a bike.

> Your shoulders, hips and legs will do just fine without your attention. They will obediently follow the commands of the HANDS without questioning.

> Those Human genetic thingies that we can NOT ALTER IN ANY WAY? we are a servant to them. Want some proof ? Stretch your arms out in front palms upward and turn your hips without moving those hands / arms .

>

> Good luck,

>

> Lane

>

>

I SEE this nonsense has found its way BACK into the forums. Yikes.

> @laneholt said:

> Hawkeye,

> Since you chose to call my post -* nonsense * I would hope you would explain where I am FACTUALLY incorrect. I don’t care about opinion and theory ( more than enough of that going around ) I try to deal with FACTS ONLY!

> For my quest to learn please tell me where I am factually incorrect ? Not into name calling and will not reply to such.

> Good luck ,

>

> Lane

If it's so FACTUAL, why the need to capitalize it constantly? It's like you're trying to convince us.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy