2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

> @deejaid said:

> New Old Stock goodness. Going to make a 1990 era combo set using my NOS CB92’s in the 3-6.

>

> ygd6ih32erec.png

>

> cx4q1gormqx7.png

>

Stunning!

• Like 1

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x v’s Chrome Tour 

Some reasonably attractive clubheads there <3

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I have a set of mp18 blades on the way. I’ve hit everything this year from Legacy Black to Miura pp9003 to Cb2008 to Srixon 765 etc etc etc but a buddy of mine who plays on the mini tours wanted to make a trade for them for something I had. The thing is they have x7 shafts. Pretty sure I can’t load them. I bet they will be straight. lol

Pics to come when I have my hands on them.

All Clubs subject to change relative to my last bad round of golf......

> @deejaid said:

> New Old Stock goodness. Going to make a 1990 era combo set using my NOS CB92’s in the 3-6.

>

> ygd6ih32erec.png

>

> cx4q1gormqx7.png

>

Stunning find, what shafts you planning on putting in them?

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

> @Bigmean said:

> Bodhi,

>

> The gc2 is crazy accurate regarding distance and direction and flight (assuming you have no boost set on it which I think some stores do) however the swing speed number is not measured, it is calculated while 3yds of fade or draw is measured on a gc2 and is probably On the money. 100mph ss could be 97-103 or whatever. Just my experience with it. You can really tell because when you flush balls it will jump over even a slight mis hit could drop it a more than reasonable amount. I think it uses ball speed and smash factor logic or something.

>

> It is really irrelevant (well to me I guess) in that If flight is dead on with distance and direction and spin/launch is dead on, a calculated guess for SS is more than good enough. But if you want to know a true SS, gc2 is not the right tool for that at all, it is only a guess.

>

> However, I don’t think it would be off by 5% consistently though in the guesses it at least that hasn’t been my experience unless it is +/- 5% total so 2.5% off the correct number. That sounds about right and really

> More Varied on outlier strikes than majority.

That does tie in with my experience of using it in the past - I got fit for my hybrid in the same sim. We were aiming for a club that got it out there about 230 consistently, and went with the H2 from the company that shall not be named. Got it out on the course, and it was pretty much bang on, so have no reason to doubt it will be the same with the F3.

Even though the SS might not be entirely accurate, it's good for comparison purposes, and before I started changing my swing it was showing 97 ish at a previous gapping session, so am quite chuffed at the bigger numbers, even if the direction still needs work. Good number to use in the pub as well :wink:

Due to the weather in the UK I've only tried it on the range, but so far, so good. In fact I've already talked myself into going back for the driver :) I was thinking about picking up one of the latest releases later in the season, but I've figured I can probably pick up a couple of last year's models to tinker with for less cash. So go for the D3 now, and maybe pick up an M3 440 in a couple of months time.

Will be the first time since 2006 I haven't had a Nike wood in the bag, a moment of silence for one of the more divisive manufacturers in golf :wink:

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

> @bodhi555 said:

> > @deejaid said:

> > New Old Stock goodness. Going to make a 1990 era combo set using my NOS CB92’s in the 3-6.

> >

> > ygd6ih32erec.png

> >

> > cx4q1gormqx7.png

> >

>

> Stunning find, what shafts you planning on putting in them?

Well, I had a set of Hogan Apex 4 stiff shafts here so I shafted up the CB92 4 and 7 irons and it was a really nice combination so I think I’ll just keep it simple and go with what I got.

I get overwhelmed reading about all the different aftermarket shafts and I love the stories of how Ben Hogan would send nasty-grams to people that used his shafts in other companies heads.

As much as a fan as I am of Mr. Hogan I also believe in the philosophy of “whatever works’.

> @PReardon said:

> Been looking to get some blades but want something thin but a little forgiving. Any recommendations, I’m playing the mp18 mmc but their just to light

Mp5. Macgregor 1025m vfoil. Maltby rates these blades as ‘game improvement!’

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I had a terrible round of golf today. I was hitting everything great except my irons. I switched blade sets this morning that had a heavier and stiffer shaft and that really threw my timing all off. My hips were getting out front and I was smacking them fat. Very frustrating to have a 6i go 135yards. Just could not get that timing down pat. By trying to adjust to that, I was doing the same garbage with my 5 wood and was getting similar results. Short and fat sky balls trying to hit down on it. I ended up posting a 92. But had a great time with the father in law. Back to the drawing board.

Also, have we decided if hollow MB designs are blades? Had this conversation with a TaylorMade junkie in our group this morning with the 700 series.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

> @Kingcat990 said:

> I had a terrible round of golf today. I was hitting everything great except my irons. I switched blade sets this morning that had a heavier and stiffer shaft and that really threw my timing all off. My hips were getting out front and I was smacking them fat. Very frustrating to have a 6i go 135yards. Just could not get that timing down pat. By trying to adjust to that, I was doing the same garbage with my 5 wood and was getting similar results. Short and fat sky balls trying to hit down on it. I ended up posting a 92. But had a great time with the father in law. Back to the drawing board.

>

> Also, have we decided if hollow MB designs are blades? Had this conversation with a TaylorMade junkie in our group this morning with the 700 series.

Continuing off of what you said about the 700 series I would say that everything except the 730 would not be a blade 750,760,770 for obvious reasons with them being cb but with the 790 the thing that would make me say no is the ultra forgiving technology or whatever taylormade is saying (even though I want a slightly forgiving blade) because then the person using them doesn’t have to really be precise with where their hitting the ball on the face unlike with most of not all blades and mb the person using them has to be laser focused on it. So that’s my opinion at least.

> @deejaid said:

> > @bodhi555 said:

> > > @deejaid said:

> > > New Old Stock goodness. Going to make a 1990 era combo set using my NOS CB92’s in the 3-6.

> > >

> > > ygd6ih32erec.png

> > >

> > > cx4q1gormqx7.png

> > >

> >

> > Stunning find, what shafts you planning on putting in them?

>

> Well, I had a set of Hogan Apex 4 stiff shafts here so I shafted up the CB92 4 and 7 irons and it was a really nice combination so I think I’ll just keep it simple and go with what I got.

>

> I get overwhelmed reading about all the different aftermarket shafts and I love the stories of how Ben Hogan would send nasty-grams to people that used his shafts in other companies heads.

>

> As much as a fan as I am of Mr. Hogan I also believe in the philosophy of “whatever works’.

I’ve got the Apex 4s in a set of 1988 redlines. I love how light they feel and how high launching they are.

• Like 1

Swinging free is apparently now easier in my garage than the course, but it is coming around, I feel closer than ever, and actually iron consistency lagging most in my game now.....they are either solid or 15+ cap bad, nothing in betweeen. Played ok in the scramble and we used at least 5 of my drives which in this group I will take all day as 3rd worst driver in the group even pre shanks. Putting and wedge game back on track for sure tho. Stuffed wedges and rolled it really

well. Lots of really good misses, feeling super

Positive on putting it on what I see.

And sorry, as the thread starter here, I am obligated to point out, this is what....like the 6th major champion that plays blades since this thread started......I am not counting but it seems like blades are as relevant as ever....and Wilson’s baby, love it. Thanks anyway, woodland really Earned that one, and I am loving brooks, really loving his man up ness for when it matters even in a second. Good stuff all around. Stunned rose went away, this morning I thought he was favorite.

• Like 1

> @Kingcat990 said:

> I had a terrible round of golf today. I was hitting everything great except my irons. I switched blade sets this morning that had a heavier and stiffer shaft and that really threw my timing all off. My hips were getting out front and I was smacking them fat. Very frustrating to have a 6i go 135yards. Just could not get that timing down pat. By trying to adjust to that, I was doing the same garbage with my 5 wood and was getting similar results. Short and fat sky balls trying to hit down on it. I ended up posting a 92. But had a great time with the father in law. Back to the drawing board.

>

> Also, have we decided if hollow MB designs are blades? Had this conversation with a TaylorMade junkie in our group this morning with the 700 series.

Yeah moving up (& down to lesser extent) weighting takes adjustment and reps. Took me several weeks to really see the benefit of doing it.

To the question:

Nah, they are not blades, apparently Ping agrees or they would not have done the Blueprint

> @Bigmean said:

> Swinging free is apparently now easier in my garage than the course, but it is coming around, I feel closer than ever, and actually iron consistency lagging most in my game now.....they are either solid or 15+ cap bad, nothing in betweeen. Played ok in the scramble and we used at least 5 of my drives which in this group I will take all day as 3rd worst driver in the group even pre shanks. Putting and wedge game back on track for sure tho. Stuffed wedges and rolled it really

> well. Lots of really good misses, feeling super

> Positive on putting it on what I see.

>

> And sorry, as the thread starter here, I am obligated to point out, this is what....like the 6th major champion that plays blades since this thread started......I am not counting but it seems like blades are as relevant as ever....and Wilson’s baby, love it. Thanks anyway, woodland really Earned that one, and I am loving brooks, really loving his man up ness for when it matters even in a second. Good stuff all around. Stunned rose went away, this morning I thought he was favorite.

>

>

Thought it would be Koepka and Rose, mano a mano, did not give Woodland much of a chance but he was solid & clutch when he needed it. Likable, seems to be a good guy, good story and has good taste in irons. Hell of an approach from the rough on 14(?), Rose goes bogey from the fairway, he pars, game over for Rose. Real clutch on 17, he sees Brooks, getting ready to go in 2, gets U&D, real ballsy on the earlier par 5 too, the man earned it.

> @Bigmean said:

> And sorry, as the thread starter here, I am obligated to point out, this is what....like the 6th major champion that plays blades since this thread started......I am not counting but it seems like blades are as relevant as ever....and Wilson’s baby, love it. Thanks anyway, woodland really Earned that one, and I am loving brooks, really loving his man up ness for when it matters even in a second. Good stuff all around. Stunned rose went away, this morning I thought he was favorite.

>

>

Now you just can't put out comments like that! I had to look up first when you started this thread (Jan 2015), and then who won majors since then. So far as blade users I've got:

2015: ZERO (Masters: Spieth; US Open: Spieth; The Open: Zach Johnson; USPGA: Jason Day)

2016: TWO (Masters: Danny Willet; **US Open: Dustin Johnson**; The Open: Henrik Stenson; **USPGA: Johnny Walker**).

2017: ONE (Masters: Sergio Garcia; US Open: Brooks Koepka; The Open: Jordan Spieth; **USPGA: Justin Thomas**)

2018: ONE (**Masters: Patrick Reed**; US Open: Brooks Koepka; The Open: Francesco Molinari; USPGA: Brooks Koepka)

2019: TWO (**Masters: Tiger Woods**; US PGA: Brooks Koepka; **US Open: Gary Woodland**; The Open: ???).

Justin Thomas bagged the Titleist 718 from 5i to 9i, and Reed used Callayway's MB-1 from 5i to PW, but both had a CB 4-iron.

I actually thought Molinari was blade user, but he was bagging the TM 750s (and 790 4i) for his Open win, apparently. Didn't he use the Vapor blades back when he was with Nike?

The AP2s had three wins in 2015, as Zach Johnson seems to have been bagging them that year.

Also, after switching to Callaway last year, Sergio went back to using blades for a bit, though I don't know what he's using now. A different golf website tells me he was using the TM 750s for his Master's win.

• Like 1

Had my first range session with my MP-32's

Felt amazing to hit blades again, even though I struggled with the long irons... Hit them quite a bit off the toe

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil 95

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

> @Kingcat990 said:

>

I never considered my P790 blades, fwiw. Who cares? Play what you like!

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Ok so enough time for the honeymoon with MP-4 to end. I have one core theory for playing a blade successfully. I need to go after it confidently and with speed. Maybe it’s the shaft or who knows, but if I don’t swing with conviction it’s a clanker.

I bet the people at Wilson at nursing a hangover today after that incredible PR run with GW and a BIG ole Wilson staff logo on the cap for days in a row.

• Like 1

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @PReardon said:

> Ok thank you all for your help but do any of these have a slightly longer blade length I just don’t find confidence in look at a club where the ball appears bigger, also is there a forum like this but for putters?if so could you send me a link please and thank you

The Macgregor 1025m are a longer blade. I go thru cycles where I don’t think I should play blades, try some cb, don’t like them, then play the macs and they ALWAYS perform. They are a great beginner blade - inexpensive and playable.

There’s a whole putter section with guys who with off the chart putter fetish. It’s a sub-section in bag room, at the same level as equipment. They can help with putter questions.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Great day of golf yesterday. Played a new course called Kansai Country Club. It was in fabulous condition. Fairways like plush carpet and smooth, fast greens. So of course I played well. Actually had maybe the best iron striking day of my life.... with Tourstage MR23 CBs. Hit 15 of 18 greens and was putting or with a realistic chip for eagle on every par 5. I think playing unforgiving a** old classic blades has obviously helped my game. Switch to the Tourstage irons because the shafts are the same length as irons I used for many years and I can stand more upright. They don't look forgiving - razor thin topline and very little offset through the set. Best shot was probably on the 18th. Uphill 200 yards to the pin. Hit it right at the pin and came up just on the front fringe about 20 feet short.

Also, hit the new driver well enough. I was pin high on a, narrow 300 yard par 4, and only missed one fairway with it. For once, I didn't haphazardly pull it. I chose my Miz CLK 22 degree off many of the tee boxes and that think is a champ. I've never had a club that is an effortless 220 - 240. Ridiculous.

Story of the day was the 38 putts though. 76.

Well, my 15 year old son, a scratch player already, has discovered the joy of blades. He has confiscated my cherished MP 33s. Loves them. Says turf interaction and distance control is far superior to his Apex CF 16 irons. Looks like I am going to be hunting another quality set. I'm sure he will confiscate those too. Any other blades he should try?

> @DevilDog said:

> Well, my 15 year old son, a scratch player already, has discovered the joy of blades. He has confiscated my cherished MP 33s. Loves them. Says turf interaction and distance control is far superior to his Apex CF 16 irons. Looks like I am going to be hunting another quality set. I'm sure he will confiscate those too. Any other blades he should try?

1999 Hogan Apex.

• Like 1