ddetts' Swing Journey - 2020 Goals & Updated Swing Progress pg. 17

ddetts

> @gentles said:

> One other thing, I would try to add some performance practice into your routine as well. Doing direct technical work will pay off in the long run, but if you don't practice taking those feels to the course your scoring won't improve. Spend tome time playing games hitting shots to specific targets where you track results (e.g. how many shots out of 13 can you hit between two flags on range. Check out "The Practice Manual" by Adam Young for some good ideas for games.

Thanks again for the recommendation, really enjoying the book so far. I can see this really paying off.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Quick updates

**18 hole round last Friday** A really tough day, wind was blowing probably around 15-20mph & gusting higher most of the round on a course that's pretty open and exposed. Greens were very firm and fast and close to tournament conditions I experience in the Mid-Am. The wind had me mentally messed up early, and I'm sure I reverted to old swing patterns. Played poorly for 6 holes, then finally turned it around and got some good feelings back. Made the turn at +10 but then grinded out a +3 on the back with 2 birdie looks inside 6 feet that didn't drop. On the front, I only had 1 penalty stroke and it was again short game that was letting me down. But on the back I found my technique and touch and made some really good chips and putts for up and downs.

**Match play league last night, and shot same score as last week +4/38, won my match 2 & 1 but could've easily been 4 & 1**

**Positives:**

1) ball striking was decent - start lines were good and curvature was narrowed - I didn't have any penalties and really only got myself into trouble with two swings where I had trees to contend with. Only technically had 2 GIRs, but 3 others were just a pace or two off the green so what I would call 5/9 good on a tough wind day.

2) made my first eagle in probably 5+ years - it was a shorter par 5 downwind and downhill, so probably more like a birdie on a longish par 4 but the scorecard only knows the score relative to par so I'll take it! Had to make a bomb to get it, probably 40 footer with 12+ inches of break, but it took the wind out of my opponent's sails for the last two holes.

3) controlled the ball pretty well in the wind.

**Negatives:**

1) Short game just wasn't sharp, had a lot of short chips and just didn't put them in easy up and down range

2) Putting - I'm not feeling comfortable with my set up and subsequently I'm not making good strokes and hitting off-center strikes too. I'm planning to go in for a putter fitting at my local store with my current gamer (TP Mullen, 35") and my old faithful (OG Odyssey #7, 34") that I putted with for 13 years to see which (if either) are a good fit for how I like to set up and my stroke.

3) Bad break - on #3, a short par 4 where a creek crosses at 240, I normally lay back & to the right landing are with 3i and have 9i-PW in but wind was at the back so I went for it. Perfect drive, about 15 yards off the green, but in a nasty divot/hole in the rough on an upslope. Thought I need to hit steep as only about 1/2 the ball was above, ground ended up being quite soft beneath so I fatted it and left it short. Then a poor chip left me a long par putt and I walked away with 5.

All in all, I have been super-focused on full swing so I can probably put a little bit of the short game woes on that as I haven't spent near as much time at the short-game practice area as I should be. And honestly, the lack of confidence with the flat-stick is also probably putting too much pressure on my chipping and pitching, thinking I need to hit it to 2 feet every time to have a chance.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Question on the mental side for you - what do you do when you have a few bad rounds in a row and maybe you feel like quitting or walking away for a while? What do you say/think/do you talk yourself off the ledge?

I had a really good start to the season, now suddenly I'm playing horribly the past few weeks. I know it's probably just a random slump but I can't help but think that if I don't snap out, I might quit. I know Monte talked about how pro's say oh I'm playing good _this year_ and Am's focus on round by round. But those are guys who play 5 days a week and bad for them is missing a few cuts or they shot 1 over , etc. I'm talking going from low 80s to mid 90's, for no reason.

too funny, I just benched my Mullen a few weeks ago. Got the SC Select newport 3. Been putting well with it after a lesson with my buddy. It just seems to roll more consistent and I was fit for the Mullen. The lack of confidence is a killer. I changed the way I looked at it and said to myself that if I hit a confident stroke, no matter if it goes in, it is a good putt. It really freed me up and now I am on a decent roll. Sounds like you are moving in the right direction. Just look to improve a little from the previous round.

• Like 1

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> Question on the mental side for you - what do you do when you have a few bad rounds in a row and maybe you feel like quitting or walking away for a while? What do you say/think/do you talk yourself off the ledge?

>

> I had a really good start to the season, now suddenly I'm playing horribly the past few weeks. I know it's probably just a random slump but I can't help but think that if I don't snap out, I might quit. I know Monte talked about how pro's say oh I'm playing good _this year_ and Am's focus on round by round. But those are guys who play 5 days a week and bad for them is missing a few cuts or they shot 1 over , etc. I'm talking going from low 80s to mid 90's, for no reason.

I'm lucky in that what I am calling poor golf, is still quite a bit better than what it was in the past. A year or two ago my bad rounds would turn into 90-95 but now a bad round is mid-high 80s. In the past, I probably didn't do a good job and dwelled on what I did wrong, how to fix it, etc. I'll use my recent lackluster performance in our state mid-am. I didn't play god-awful, but just about every facet of my game was the C version and nothing was at the A or B level. I was super disappointed and upset, and day 2 was the first time in a long while that I truly felt like packing it in when I teed off on 16. But I didn't, and finished with a par on 18.

Now, here's basically what I did. I went into the clubhouse and ordered a beer, pulled out my two scorecards and went through all my shots, and tracked some stats. I spent about 20 minutes thinking about what went wrong, where the truly poor areas were, and tried to find some of the positives. I shared a quick write up here (which for me basically helps with me mentally unloading the feelings), detailing some of that, and then honestly trying to feel like I hit the 'delete' button on those files in my brain. I took what I could from it, to hopefully learn from and file away for the future but I also didn't want to dwell on it or think about it anymore. Last thing I did, was went to the driving range and just beat some balls just focusing on nothing but center face contact. I left all my disappointment, anger and frustration on the driving range to make sure when I walked through the door at home I was in a good mood to greet my family. Finally, I went outside and had a water balloon fight with my kids and really hadn't given that weekend much of any thought until now, writing this up.

> @"rich s" said:

> too funny, I just benched my Mullen a few weeks ago. Got the SC Select newport 3. Been putting well with it after a lesson with my buddy. It just seems to roll more consistent and I was fit for the Mullen. The lack of confidence is a killer. I changed the way I looked at it and said to myself that if I hit a confident stroke, no matter if it goes in, it is a good putt. It really freed me up and now I am on a decent roll. Sounds like you are moving in the right direction. Just look to improve a little from the previous round.

I don't have any problem with consistency in roll/distance when my stroke is good and I'm hitting the middle. My first problem is setup - my distance from the ball and therefore how upright I am seems to fluctuate a lot and what likely leads to contact all over the face. Maybe a product of changing to a stroke with some arc from a straight back and through, along with 1" longer. My second problem is with alignment - visually I really like the shape and dual alignment lines, but I think the really rounded back gives me trouble with aligning the putter. Finally, lately I feel like I am getting some arm movement independent of shoulder movement, rather than 1 smooth movement just rocking shoulders which is also contributing to inconsistent contact. Perhaps I just need to get out the eyeline putting mirror and do a lot of setup work and gate drills to find my comfortable setup with that putter.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

My wife hit a home run with the Father's Day gift!

fugbt2k9povm.jpg

I know I plug PuttOut on here all the time (people probably think I'm on their payroll) but I genuinely love their products. Excited to get to work on putting as it has gotten worse as of late. Definitely need to work gate drills a ton and get setup figured ot so I'm not hitting it all over the face.

• Like 1

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @ddetts said:

> My wife hit a home run with the Father's Day gift!

> fugbt2k9povm.jpg

>

> I know I plug PuttOut on here all the time (people probably think I'm on their payroll) but I genuinely love their products. Excited to get to work on putting as it has gotten worse as of late. Definitely need to work gate drills a ton and get setup figured ot so I'm not hitting it all over the face.

I thought it said pull out ...

• Like 1

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

> @Rohlio said:

> > @ddetts said:

> > My wife hit a home run with the Father's Day gift!

> > fugbt2k9povm.jpg

> >

> > I know I plug PuttOut on here all the time (people probably think I'm on their payroll) but I genuinely love their products. Excited to get to work on putting as it has gotten worse as of late. Definitely need to work gate drills a ton and get setup figured ot so I'm not hitting it all over the face.

>

> I thought it said pull out ...

I'm glad I read this before I had taken a drink of coffee, because it would've been all over the place!

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @"rich s" said:

> Please let me know if it helps. Heard good things

I've had their mat and pressure trainer since last fall/early winter and I am a big fan. I'll report back once I have had a few sessions with the putting mirror/gates outside.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @ddetts said:

> My wife hit a home run with the Father's Day gift!

>

> I know I plug PuttOut on here all the time (people probably think I'm on their payroll) but I genuinely love their products. Excited to get to work on putting as it has gotten worse as of late. Definitely need to work gate drills a ton and get setup figured ot so I'm not hitting it all over the face.

I have the PuttOut mirror, mat, and ramp. It's a great system.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

> @"rich s" said:

> Please let me know if it helps. Heard good things

Well, I didn't get to use it outside because my 6 year old couldn't be talked into going to putt and hit balls. So I had to settle for indoors on the putting mat tonight. I think the best part are the easily adjustable rails you can set to different widths. Didn't take long to realize my setup and resulting impact are not consistent. I was hitting the rail on either side and rarely getting through the rails cleanly. Finally started to groove it a little toward the end of that session.

This may sound stupid, but I think I need to stop practicing inside without shoes on. I think the difference in height from the soles of shoes is enough that it throws my setup off. Anyone else have issues with this? Both putters feel too long when putting barefoot.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Shot a +3/39 in match play league last night which should've been a 37 but I keep finding new ways to mess up on the short game (more on that below)! Won 2 & 1 and took 7/10 points for the match.

Putting was greatly improved - I practiced a lot with the new putting mirror and the gates. I relized with my 2 finger overlap/left hand low grip that my setup just wasn't comfortable and felt like I was too far away from the putter & too upright when lining up. So I adjusted, and went to a single overlap/left hand low which moved the putter head a little closer to me and got my eyeline just inside the ball. It felt so much easier to align and I started grooving some much more consistent contact. I made a downhill left to right slider from about 40 feet and everything inside of 5 feet.

Hit the ball quite nicely, just trying to keep the swing though/feeling of only making 1/2 swings. Had 4 looks at birdie but only converted 1.

Made 1 really stupid/messy double. Was about 65 yards out for my 3rd shot on a par 5 #10 (my 3rd hole of the night), with an uphill sidehill lie. Lost my balance, leaned back a touch and came up way short, just off the front of the green. Proceeded to blade a wedge long over the green which was dead (on a severe downslope, back pin and green sloping away), chip on to about 15 feet and two putt for the double.

This was the other problem hole, but I can't be too mad. I've always disliked the design on this hole with the cartpath higging along the right and back so close (only ~20 feet from green to cartpath). People hitting the path and going long (hazard) or right (OB) are pretty frequent. Had 183 to the pin which was front right and just pushed my shot a touch and after the first bounce it got onto the cart path and rolled all the way back through into a nasty area. Had a decent look at getting it on the green , but a rock in the dirt (not visible) just behind the ball caused my wedge to skip and cause a mishit. Left me still above the hole on another tough downslope with green sloping away from me. Missed another 15 footer for bogey and walked away with double. I guess the lesson here is aim further left, but not easy to talk yourself into. The picture doesn't show but the green complex is slightly downhill from tee to green but land slopes severely downhill from right to left with the lowest point probably being 30-40 feet below the green. Even being about 10 yards short you're probably still hitting to 10 feet up.

pu4needaxomo.jpg

Realized it's been over a year now since I attended the clinic, so probably a good time to get some updated video for a comparison of how much (or maybe how little :D) the swing has changed!

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

So a little over a year since I took this long overswining, weak grip, & flippy swing to Monte's clinic.

And here's a few from last night (excuse the poor camera angle on the DTL):

It's definitely been a harder process than I ever would've thought and I don't see as much change as I'd obviously like to but it's come pretty far. My grip is stronger but still requires consistent monitoring. Backswing has gotten shorter and I'm maintaining tilt better instead of flattening out my shoulder plane.

The biggest area concept/area that's been my biggest struggle and I'm still really struggling to make noticeable improvement is eliminating the flip. I'm still losing the arms behind me, and never get the right elbow forward near far enough. Which leads to the flip, increased dynamic loft, etc. I really feel like I'm exaggerating the move to the extreme but every time I take some video, I'm proven otherwise. I really need to work more on getting this feeling like Justin Rose demonstrates and rehearses often:

My handicap (6.9) is the lowest it's been in probably 8 years

The improvements (however small) have led to less stiffness and soreness in my left lower back

I've got a much better understanding of my swing, my faults and what to work toward.

For now, the battle continues and there's plenty more work to do to get to where I want to be. I'm looking forward to playing a couple beautiful courses this weekend near Brainerd, MN and I'll see how things go on courses I've never played.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @Justmuckit said:

> Wow, Derek. That swing looks great. Keep up the good work.

Thanks and good to hear from you! Hope all is well and looks like you've got a sweet golf trip upcoming to Kohler if I'm remembering recalling that correctly.

• Like 1

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @ddetts said:

> > @Justmuckit said:

> > Wow, Derek. That swing looks great. Keep up the good work.

>

> Thanks and good to hear from you! Hope all is well and looks like you've got a sweet golf trip upcoming to Kohler if I'm remembering recalling that correctly.

All comes back to the driver. Shot a career low 77 earlier this month, followed up by an 87 yesterday. 12/14 fairways, 5/14 fairways. You guess which is which. LOL.

And yes, looking forward to the Straits kicking my a**.

• Like 1

> @Justmuckit said:

> > @ddetts said:

> > > @Justmuckit said:

> > > Wow, Derek. That swing looks great. Keep up the good work.

> >

> > Thanks and good to hear from you! Hope all is well and looks like you've got a sweet golf trip upcoming to Kohler if I'm remembering recalling that correctly.

>

> All comes back to the driver. Shot a career low 77 earlier this month, followed up by an 87 yesterday. 12/14 fairways, 5/14 fairways. You guess which is which. LOL.

>

> And yes, looking forward to the Straits kicking my ****.

Hey! Congrats on the 77! I've still yet to get back into the 70s this year. I have had a few 9 hole rounds of 38 and 39, but can't string together a full 18 without a couple stupid mistakes.

Straits will be an amazing experience I'm sure. Enjoy the trip!

• Like 1

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

On a positive note, got to play two amazing courses while on vacation in Minnesota. So, here are some pictures from the two courses.

**The Preserve Golf Course at Grand View Lodge**

I played back tees at 6620 yards - 72.7/136

qv8tqzniykjg.jpg

25ticue84q3k.jpg

k1m15nrdv9f8.jpg

bpxcwqctopjv.jpg

0fmdyt1w8u2s.jpg

dape2ab22a8t.jpg

srt0xjmpvzbl.jpg

**The Pines at Grand View Lodge, Woods & Marsh nines**

Played Blues at 6479 - 71.7/139

4f3ho3cc24zh.jpg

41ugypudken7.jpg

x85v8gdrgqdd.jpg

ue4ecmcdai8f.jpg

s29uktmzdktz.jpg

fk7yozfnbdrt.jpg

zlfrgmcx3sh4.jpg

gwlj4fu2ov2w.jpg

kihm3n9zan71.jpg

0cxaktmhbu1b.jpg

bbkgvuvhoiyb.jpg

2n6cebi8i59m.jpg

9s58u8ju9mm1.jpg

wj6pxxcxdoox.jpg

1dapgo6x6juq.jpg

21snn2oc8v8b.jpg

o2v2csvfmdhn.jpg

x1hx62w2ijbr.jpg

4h9hbeljuqj6.jpg

a2qkmxbkz7ex.jpg

mujubzk648yx.jpg

87yvdqa9ny19.jpg

I really love the divot tool!

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Hate to follow up a positive post with negativity, but here goes anyway...

The last week my swing has completely abandoned me. Last Wednesday in league & my two 18 hole rounds in Minnesota was about as bad as I've played in some time. Just all over the place. Contact was terrible and just about everything was weak pull fades. I bladed probably 5 wedge shots over greens. I hit 60% of my drivers low and on the heel (hello spinny cuts) and my approach misses were almost always short-sided, on really sloped greens.

+8 @ nine hole league

+20 @ The Preserve on 6/28

+19 @ The Pine on 6/30

I seriously couldn't and still can't find any good feelings to get things on track. I did my best to enjoy those beautiful courses but I'm not finding much joy in golf the last week. Golf can be seriously, downright maddening.

/rant over

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Golf man, it’s a heck of a game. Hard reset? Go to the range with a blank slate and focus on the basics? We have all had these times. For me it’s when I got in a rut and couldn’t get out. Once I hit rock bottom I would start over, post a score and then the next time out just try to beat it. Leave the expectations at home. If you shoot 100 then a 99 it was a good round.

• Like 1

I'm a bit late to the party, but had open hernia repair surgery yesterday, and have had the time to read through your thread. First of all, thanks for taking the time and effort to chronicle your journey, I've really enjoyed reading through your victories and your challenges!

I've been playing golf for a long, long time, and I think you have a a basic swing action that can work well. It seems like your search for that perfect swing sometimes gets in your way. Remember, the name of this confounding game is "Golf," not "Golf Swing." Not to say a mechanically sound swing isn't easier to repeat, however, there are lots of ways to get the ball into the hole. After reading your thread, I would like to see you with more confidence. As a mid-single digit handicapper, your are in the upper echelon of players.

As you have discovered, tournament golf is completely different than just golf. Everyone who has teed it up in competition has learned this and the only way to become a better tournament player is to play more tournaments. Competitive golf exposes and magnifies everyone's weaknesses. At least, after a competitive round you know what you need to work on. I was playing in a Sr. Am qualifier a few years back and started double, bogey, bogey. As I was walking to the 4th tee, I thought to myself, my wife and daughter love me regardless if I shoot 71 or 91. You just have to put it into perspective.

I know that if you keep working hard, and smart, you can achieve your goals. You're working with an excellent instructor and have a wonderful, supportive family. Thanks again for letting us all share your journey and remember to take the time to enjoy the ride!

• Like 2

@oldpalchamp I'm getting better at keeping it all in perspective. It's a luxury to play this sport, especially when it's time away from family. Also, with the surgeries, I'm pretty grateful to still be able to play at a decent level.

I'm not really looking for a perfect swing - aesthetically or mechanically. I'm mostly frustrated that I can't correct a couple major flaws that really hold me back and add a ton of inconsistency. The trailing right arm which leads to the flip and normally adding loft relies on a lot of timing which isn't always there. Plus the added loft and if I'm cutting across it even slightly makes my swing nearly useless into any wind (which we have 75% of the time in SD).

I'll concede I could use some confidence and need to work on that. It's easy to get down on yourself when you try so hard but can't get what seems like a simple task.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and following along. I wish you a speedy recovery from the hernia surgery!

• Like 1

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

• 2 weeks later...

Not a whole lot new to report here, as golf took a bit of a backseat. Haven't been home on a weekend since June 21st as we've had a great summer of trips with family and friends. So the last 3 weeks has seen very minimal golf and even less practice. I'm not complaining, as it's been some great fun and memories with the family.

Revised to a 6.6, despite my recent slump in play which I think may be my lowest handicap ever. I have managed to play fairly well in 9 hole match play league. However I've learned my game is still pretty fragile and therefore doesn't travel well at the moment.

So, lots of work to do and I'm pretty renewed & excited to get back to working on things.

One cool thing I did this past weekend was hitting a couple of balls into the Homestake Mine open cut (Lead, SD). It's around 800 yards across and probably a similar distance in depth. My wife didn't do well getting all the swing, but you get the idea.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz9gCQdDrVSLNIyQWSPX-d9YyKf1T3e8hCKpGY0/?igshid=aqoyuc32i9zw

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Link to Instagram apparently doesn't want to embed or link properly

"https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz9gCQdDrVSLNIyQWSPX-d9YyKf1T3e8hCKpGY0/?igshid=14s22gh3z86gv"

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Finally, after about 3 years I played an 18 hole round in the 70s again. Went +8/79 which was +2/38 front & +6/41 back. Heat index was like 105 today and I was walking & pushing, definitely got fatigued on the back.

I've had a lot of 9 hole rounds where I shot +1-3 but just couldn't get a complete 18 holes done. It feels good to finally have that monkey off my back. It was definitely a nice shot of confidence, especially because I wasn't hitting my irons great.

Hoping I can carry some positive momentum forward.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Okay, so apparently m-o-n-k-e-y is a bad word and gets blocked out. Who knew?

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @ddetts said:

> Finally, after about 3 years I played an 18 hole round in the 70s again. Went +8/79 which was +2/38 front & +6/41 back. Heat index was like 105 today and I was walking & pushing, definitely got fatigued on the back.

>

> I've had a lot of 9 hole rounds where I shot +1-3 but just couldn't get a complete 18 holes done. It feels good to finally have that **** off my back. It was definitely a nice shot of confidence, especially because I wasn't hitting my irons great.

>

> Hoping I can carry some positive momentum forward.

That’s awesome man. Hopefully now that you’ve popped the lid on 70s it’ll lead to many more.

• Like 1

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black