GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

The Open Championship at Royal Portrush GC/Dunluce Links - Shane Lowry is the 2019 Champion Golfer

 tiderider ·  
tideridertiderider Members  3204WRX Points: 2,223Handicap: 5ishPosts: 3,204 Titanium Tees
Joined:  edited Jul 21, 2019 in Tour Talk #1

Posted:
Post edited by tiderider on
«13456776
76

Comments

  • tideridertiderider Members  3204WRX Points: 2,223Handicap: 5ishPosts: 3,204 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Jul 21, 2019 #2


    Posted:
    Post edited by tiderider on
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • idriveidrive gone golfin Members  2391WRX Points: 349Posts: 2,391 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #4

    Looks like the U.S. Open Champ is getting no respect with the odds makers.

    Posted:
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members  5170WRX Points: 920Posts: 5,170 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #5

    On -, @idrive said:

    Looks like the U.S. Open Champ is getting no respect with the odds makers.

    Can't blame them. I don't think Woodland is going to go back to back in the US and British Opens.

    Posted:
  • tideridertiderider Members  3204WRX Points: 2,223Handicap: 5ishPosts: 3,204 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #6

    50/1 in the "current odds" link ... that's not too bad ... interesting that spieth is 20/1 despite not having won anything in almost 2 years ...

    Posted:
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  21795WRX Points: 5,788Posts: 21,795 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #7

    The Open starts this week? ****, I knew they changed the PGA, but this is too much.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • tideridertiderider Members  3204WRX Points: 2,223Handicap: 5ishPosts: 3,204 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #8

    On -, @Hawkeye77 said:

    The Open starts this week? ****, I knew they changed the PGA, but this is too much.

    no ... i have summers off and am looking for stuff to do before travelling to scotland next week ... taking a break from reading ... plus, i like a proper thread for a major ... info/articles/etc ...

    Posted:
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  21795WRX Points: 5,788Posts: 21,795 ClubWRX
    Joined:  edited Jun 18, 2019 #9

    On -, @tiderider said:

    On -, @Hawkeye77 said:

    The Open starts this week? ****, I knew they changed the PGA, but this is too much.

    no ... i have summers off and am looking for stuff to do before travelling to scotland next week ... taking a break from reading ... plus, i like a proper thread for a major ... info/articles/etc ...

    LOL, "proper" means week of the tournament, but apparently since you have nothing to do all summer this is it?

    Strangely this gives going to work tomorrow a renewed purpose!

    Enjoy the trip! Scotland will be awesome.

    Posted:
    Post edited by Hawkeye77 on
  • alfridayalfriday Members  546WRX Points: 152Posts: 546 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #10

    I've played Portrush twice, once many years ago and again two years ago. It is one of my top courses, definite top three.

    The old 17 and 18 were fairly mundane, except for the huge bunker on 17. One of my playing partners put his drive in the bunker and eventually threw his ball out after 5 tries to get out. The recreated bunker on the new par 5 doesn't compare. Nevertheless, the new holes are terrific. They had just been opened when I played them, but they are a big improvement over the old 17 and 18.

    I'm incredibly excited about this year's open. Calamity, the par 3, now 16th, could decide the tournament. I walked back to the new tee and it is one scary looking shot. Time to set the DVR.

    Posted:
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers  3390WRX Points: 1,203Posts: 3,390 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #12

    Saw photos of the course taken very recently with the stands in place and so on, looks great.
    The course is very green, the total opposite from last year at Carnoustie.

    Posted:
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • jonnymc44jonnymc44 Manchester UKMembers  263WRX Points: 174Handicap: 5.3Posts: 263 Greens
    Joined:  #13

    On -, @OldTomMorris said:

    Saw photos of the course taken very recently with the stands in place and so on, looks great.
    The course is very green, the total opposite from last year at Carnoustie.

    Hopefully it gets some warm, dry weather with a bit of wind before the Open starts to properly dry it out. Golfing conditions across pretty much all of the UK are very different to this time last year. It feels like it hasn't stopped raining for us for weeks. Last year's Open was brilliant to watch with the firey links conditions.

    Posted:
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members  6353WRX Points: 1,784Handicap: 3Posts: 6,353 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #15

    On -, @Dave230 said:

    Going to my first Open Championship this year, can't wait. First major on the island of Ireland in 68 years.

    There is nothing quite like The Open. Love getting down and being on site.

    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Diamana D+
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  21795WRX Points: 5,788Posts: 21,795 ClubWRX
    Joined:  edited Jun 18, 2019 #16

    On -, @MattyO1984 said:

    So pumped for The Open that I am quite happy that the thread has started now!

    The Irish Open, Scottish Open and then The Open is the best three weeks of golf of the year for me.

    After The Masters, The Open is far and away my favorite tournament and totally agree on the Irish and Scottish Opens and the lead up to The Open.

    Just poking the Tiderider a bit (and truly happy he's headed to Scotland), seems like there's a lot of tournament thread early release these days and hate to see four other U.S. tournaments and some great Euro events getting short shrift on the forum (even though I'll watch the Euro events and will pretty much be golfing and paying zero attention to the upcoming U.S. Tour events, lol).

    Have my eye on that 150th installment of The Open at St. Andrews that is coming up - not starting a thread on it (!) but if I was going to go see one that would be it for me (just the dilemma of knowing playing elsewhere may or may not be a little tougher at that time, who knows).

    Posted:
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers  3390WRX Points: 1,203Posts: 3,390 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Jun 18, 2019 #17

    On -, @Hawkeye77 said:

    Have my eye on that 150th installment of The Open at St. Andrews that is coming up - not starting a thread on it (!) but if I was going to go see one that would be it for me (just the dilemma of knowing playing elsewhere may or may not be a little tougher at that time, who knows).

    I expect 2021 will be a huge event with lots going on. Possibly some of the past champions might be calling time on their Open careers at St Andrews, it would be a great place to go out.

    Here's a scenario, if Koepka can win at Augusta in either of his next two attempts and doesn't land The Open before then he could be going for a career grand slam at St Andrews, imagine achieving it there at the 150th Open!!!

    Posted:
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Ole3wiggleOle3wiggle Members  274WRX Points: 110Posts: 274 Greens
    Joined:  edited Jun 18, 2019 #18

    Cant wait for the Open and I cant wait to watch live, in person on Thursday! See ya at Royal Portrush

    Posted:
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10874WRX Points: 3,983Handicap: 8Posts: 10,874 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #19

    picking Brooks to win.

    That course looks super interesting. A lot of the course views looks like it could be very confusing on where to play. That could just be because of the camera angles and such but seems like there are a lot of blind tee shots. this could be a fun event up in Ireland.

    Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade SIM 10.5 KBS TD 70TX
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 49 and 64
    WEDGES: Titleist SM7 54 and 60 KBS tour custom matte black shafts.
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members  6353WRX Points: 1,784Handicap: 3Posts: 6,353 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #21

    On -, @Hawkeye77 said:

    On -, @MattyO1984 said:

    So pumped for The Open that I am quite happy that the thread has started now!

    The Irish Open, Scottish Open and then The Open is the best three weeks of golf of the year for me.

    After The Masters, The Open is far and away my favorite tournament and totally agree on the Irish and Scottish Opens and the lead up to The Open.

    Just poking the Tiderider a bit (and truly happy he's headed to Scotland), seems like there's a lot of tournament thread early release these days and hate to see four other U.S. tournaments and some great Euro events getting short shrift on the forum (even though I'll watch the Euro events and will pretty much be golfing and paying zero attention to the upcoming U.S. Tour events, lol).

    Have my eye on that 150th installment of The Open at St. Andrews that is coming up - not starting a thread on it (!) but if I was going to go see one that would be it for me (just the dilemma of knowing playing elsewhere may or may not be a little tougher at that time, who knows).

    The 150th is going to be MASSIVE! With the schedule this year and next, 2021 will be the next one that I am able to get to.

    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Diamana D+
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members  13161WRX Points: 1,026Handicap: 3.8Posts: 13,161 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #22

    Played last year, course is incredible, Calamity Corner is one of the best par 3s in the world and make it #16 it's gonna be great for the show.
    This said, the two new holes have that feeling of a "fake ancient" links that I can't stand. Pitty.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • NoFancyUsername.NoFancyUsername. Members  536WRX Points: 128Posts: 536 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #23

    Real golf is about to commence. :)

    Posted:
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  21795WRX Points: 5,788Posts: 21,795 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #24

    On -, @MattyO1984 said:

    On -, @Hawkeye77 said:

    On -, @MattyO1984 said:

    So pumped for The Open that I am quite happy that the thread has started now!

    The Irish Open, Scottish Open and then The Open is the best three weeks of golf of the year for me.

    After The Masters, The Open is far and away my favorite tournament and totally agree on the Irish and Scottish Opens and the lead up to The Open.

    Just poking the Tiderider a bit (and truly happy he's headed to Scotland), seems like there's a lot of tournament thread early release these days and hate to see four other U.S. tournaments and some great Euro events getting short shrift on the forum (even though I'll watch the Euro events and will pretty much be golfing and paying zero attention to the upcoming U.S. Tour events, lol).

    Have my eye on that 150th installment of The Open at St. Andrews that is coming up - not starting a thread on it (!) but if I was going to go see one that would be it for me (just the dilemma of knowing playing elsewhere may or may not be a little tougher at that time, who knows).

    The 150th is going to be MASSIVE! With the schedule this year and next, 2021 will be the next one that I am able to get to.

    Will buy you a beverage!

    Posted:
  • BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXer Members  1987WRX Points: 430Posts: 1,987 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #25

    Yeah but you didn't say when it is OP!

    Posted:
    G410 LST
    3 wood M2 HL
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros 4-P
    Cleveland Blob
    SeeMore Butts
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members  6356WRX Points: 3,271Handicap: 10.8Posts: 6,356 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #26

    Fun facts about the 1951 British Open

    Until this year, this is the only one not taking place in England or Scotland.

    The winner, Max Fualkner, was considered a very flamboyant and colorful dresser for the time. He was the last Englishman to win this event until Tony Jacklin in 1969.

    Bobby Locke was going for a three-peat and finished T6th

    Norman Von Nida was in the top 10 after two rounds, but tore up his scorecard in the final round in frustration.

    The 1951 PGA was played at Oakmont and finished on Tuesday, July 3, the same day as the second round of qualifying for the British Open which began on Thursday. Therefore, very few Americans showed up. Frank Stranahan finished T12th and was the low amateur for the third year running. He was only one of two Americans that made the cut.

    The travel to Northern Ireland had a bad effect on the overall field as well. Only 148 players entered to try to win the title. That was the lowest number of entries for the British Open since 1904. Depending on who qualifies, the 2019 edition may have the strongest field in the world this year.

    Fred Daly, the 1947 Champion, was playing on his home course and finished fourth.

    Posted:
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

    just say NO.... to practice swings
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  21795WRX Points: 5,788Posts: 21,795 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #27

    On -, @Barfolomew said:

    Yeah but you didn't say when it is OP!

    His calendar probably doesn't go out that far, lol.

    Having said that, the lame thread on the Travelers is simply a roster and betting odds - yawn. This is at least a real and honest effort!

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members  3937WRX Points: 358Handicap: 12.9Posts: 3,937 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #28

    Can't wait. An American here but love the British Open more than the US Open. The courses are great and this one in particular looks fantastic. Now for something completed different: Brexit.....

    Posted:
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

    Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
    3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
    3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
    6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
    7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
    50 degree GW Vokey SM7
    56 degree SW Vokey SM7
    Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

  • Lagavulin62Lagavulin62 Members  2347WRX Points: 326Handicap: 15Posts: 2,347 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #29

    I have grown to like the Open the most. Yes great courses.

    Posted:
  • tideridertiderider Members  3204WRX Points: 2,223Handicap: 5ishPosts: 3,204 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Jun 18, 2019 #30

    No Laying Up review from 2 years ago posted ... article w/video and podcast ...

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • i*windowsi*windows Members  2315WRX Points: 266Handicap: 12.3Posts: 2,315 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Jun 19, 2019 #31

    On -, @Darth Putter said:

    Fun facts about the 1951 British Open

    ....

    Fun Fact #1, it's called the Open, or the Open Championship https://www.theopen.com/about/

    Posted:
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Just hit the **** ball.[/font]
    TM R1
    Adams Tight lies 2 5w
    Cleveland Mashie 5h
    Nike Covert Forged 2, 6-PW
    Lynx Prowler VT 5-PW
    Cleveland 588 Tour Action 51*
    MD Golf Seve Sedona 58*
    Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini.
76

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.