2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Public Courses...should women play in men's club tournaments?

Our "Men's" club just voted to become a "Player's" club to allow women to play in the scheduled tournaments. The club championship will remain just men's. Is this a growing trend out there in public golf land? For the record, I voted no...hell no.

Ping G35, tour stiff Callaway Apex 19 5I-AW, Project X 6.0, 2 up, +4 grips Cobra hybrids (23, 20, 16, oldies but goodies) Vokie SM7 (52, 58) Odyssey 2-ball fang, 38", 50g counter

Sorry if this is weird, but why is having women around such a turn-off? Does it interrupt the tournament in some way?

I rarely see women playing golf. If they're good enough to play in tournaments I would think it'd be great, no?

And heck, from their perspective why shouldn't they be allowed entry? That seems really weird to not allow someone to play on the basis of gender.

What am I missing here?

• Like 2

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Unless the tee differentials are adjusted properly (most are not), competition with good woman from the red tees is simply unfair. Any competition that uses multiple tees is questionable.

Ping G35, tour stiff Callaway Apex 19 5I-AW, Project X 6.0, 2 up, +4 grips Cobra hybrids (23, 20, 16, oldies but goodies) Vokie SM7 (52, 58) Odyssey 2-ball fang, 38", 50g counter

You could start a new "Men's" club and compete for tee times. Will the women be playing against the men, or will they have their own flights?

Any course I was a part of that had a Men's club also had a Ladies club with corresponding tournaments.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

I'd vote yes. We want to hold more mixed competitions at our club but unfortunately we have too few ladies. In fact I think we only have half a dozen if that. The men's section actually does all the 'book keeping' for them because it's not worth their while. The sport needs to be more inclusive not less. Anything clubs can do to extend its reach should be done.

• Like 1

> @raynorfan1 said:

> I would have zero issue with tournaments that were formerly "mens" tournaments become "open" events. But IMHO everybody should play from the same tee or have an opportunity to choose which tee they play from based on objective criteria (i.e. handicap plus age).

Agree. If you’re playing for the same prize then you play from the same tees.

• Like 2

As long as scoring for women is kept separately, I have no problem with them in tournaments. May help the game. I know some women that play better and faster than men. Might kick some of the ole far** in the backside that waddle to their ball too.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

So this is a "Men's Club/GHIN Club" playing out of some public course somewhere? We're not talking some old school institutional legacy/debate like Muirfield then, just a bunch of hacks who previously didn't think of considering having female members and now does, so they updated the rules?

How does anyone have a problem with this? It's just some weekend hobby, it's hardly Mid-Am qualifying. Anything to increase interest and turnout has to be seen as a good thing.

OP are you worried you'll feel constricted from relieving yourself behind a bush or sharing some totally hilarious (to you) jokes that others might not be so keen on?

One of the GHIN clubs I play with already plays off multiple tees based on indexes (except for 'club championships') and no one cares, as it's so incredibly unimportant. We've had women play now and again and TBH I didn't think it was a remarkable enough thing to even note.

Is your enjoyment really going to be impacted by letting women play?

It really beggars belief someone would have an issue with this.

• Like 1

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Club championship should be a mixed competition off the back tees IMO. Separate men's and women's tournaments too.

P.S. It's essential everyone plays off the same tees in a club championship or mixed sex event. Otherwise it's pointless and you are effectively playing a different golf course/competition.

> @kenb237 said:

> Unless the tee differentials are adjusted properly (most are not), competition with good woman from the red tees is simply unfair. Any competition that uses multiple tees is questionable.

If you can't convince the tournament organizers they are not adjusting properly I might suggest the GHIN app. You can select playing partners and show how the adjustments differ from tee to tee and when women play against men.

> @HatsForBats said:

> > @kenb237 said:

> > Unless the tee differentials are adjusted properly (most are not), competition with good woman from the red tees is simply unfair. Any competition that uses multiple tees is questionable.

>

> If you can't convince the tournament organizers they are not adjusting properly I might suggest the GHIN app. You can select playing partners and show how the adjustments differ from tee to tee and when women play against men.

The GHIN app adjusts for slope and not rating if I remember correctly.

> @Tepop84 said:

> > @HatsForBats said:

> > > @kenb237 said:

> > > Unless the tee differentials are adjusted properly (most are not), competition with good woman from the red tees is simply unfair. Any competition that uses multiple tees is questionable.

> >

> > If you can't convince the tournament organizers they are not adjusting properly I might suggest the GHIN app. You can select playing partners and show how the adjustments differ from tee to tee and when women play against men.

>

> The GHIN app adjusts for slope and not rating if I remember correctly.

It adjusts for both

• Like 1

> @Tepop84 said:

> > @HatsForBats said:

> > > @kenb237 said:

> > > Unless the tee differentials are adjusted properly (most are not), competition with good woman from the red tees is simply unfair. Any competition that uses multiple tees is questionable.

> >

> > If you can't convince the tournament organizers they are not adjusting properly I might suggest the GHIN app. You can select playing partners and show how the adjustments differ from tee to tee and when women play against men.

>

You adjust the CH for different tees then subtract the course rating difference. Problem is you'd have to have the men's tees rated for women to be accurate since most courses are not as few women outside of college/lpga could play from the middle men's tees.

• Like 1

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Our courses all have both men's and women's leagues, so assuming the same is true where you are, are men now able to participate in the women's tournaments too? If so than I guess no worries, but if not...does it really need to be discussed why that's a problem?

[size=2][i]"I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"[/i][/size]

[size=2]-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom[/size]

I have zero issues with women competing in men's tournaments if they are playing from the same tees.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @Gautama said:

> Our courses all have both men's and women's leagues, so assuming the same is true where you are, are men now able to participate in the women's tournaments too? If so than I guess no worries, but if not...does it really need to be discussed why that's a problem?

A woman good enough to compete with men, would destroy the women at most private courses , so I guess it's more about getting competition

I actually had this discussion with a friend today. At his club there is a girl who competed in the US women's open and would just massacre most women in Quebec club golf. So they were talking about whether or not she should be able to play for the men's interclub team. I would be in favor of it

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @Tepop84 said:

> > @HatsForBats said:

> > > @kenb237 said:

> >

>

I just HAD to play my wife in a season-long match play competition, we were drawn into the same group. The GHIN app does adjust for both slope and then for Course Rating following the USGA procedure. I played really well, but so did she, I prevailed on the first extra hole. I'll compete against anyone, any tees, as long as the handicaps are accurate, and adjusted appropriately.

> @davep043 said:

> > @Tepop84 said:

> > > @HatsForBats said:

> > > > @kenb237 said:

> > > > Unless the tee differentials are adjusted properly (most are not), competition with good woman from the red tees is simply unfair. Any competition that uses multiple tees is questionable.

> > >

> > > If you can't convince the tournament organizers they are not adjusting properly I might suggest the GHIN app. You can select playing partners and show how the adjustments differ from tee to tee and when women play against men.

> >

> > The GHIN app adjusts for slope and not rating if I remember correctly.

>

> I just HAD to play my wife in a season-long match play competition, we were drawn into the same group. The GHIN app does adjust for both slope and then for Course Rating following the USGA procedure. I played really well, but so did she, I prevailed on the first extra hole. I'll compete against anyone, any tees, as long as the handicaps are accurate, and adjusted appropriately.

Yes I agree. As long as handicap is correct and actually adjusted for both slope and rating I have no issue. Most people forget the rating adjustment.

If it is not a handicapped tournament the everyone should play the same tees regardless of gender/age.

I used (many years ago) to play in a work associated golf club. I was essentially the only woman that regularly played. There were 3 or 4 guys with better comparable or better caps than I had, but one year in our club championship I played very well on the final 9 in our two day event and won. The guys got nervous despite 2 of them having decent leads. Played the same tees and there was never an issue. Net events should be fine as long as course/tee ratings differentials are accounted for as mentioned above. Here at the club our forward tees at a little over 5400 yards rate (72.9/128 women's ) out roughly comparable to the tips (73.5/139 men's) although quite a bit more slope.

> @MelloYello said:

> Sorry if this is weird, but why is having women around such a turn-off? Does it interrupt the tournament in some way?

>

> I rarely see women playing golf. If they're good enough to play in tournaments I would think it'd be great, no?

>

> And heck, from their perspective why shouldn't they be allowed entry? That seems really weird to not allow someone to play on the basis of gender.

>

> **What am I missing here? **

I guess a few things. It is unheard of for women clubs to allow men to join as the women say they would feel uncomfortable having men play with them. So why should it be expected the other way?

I also tend to believe there is nothing wrong with men just hanging out with men and vice versa.

Would I care if I had to play one event a year with women? No - it would be fun. Would I want my weekly mens night to include women (or juniors). no - the golf course is where I get my male bonding.

I live in Italy and there are quite a lot of women playing.

Consider that we have a lot of tournaments, every saturday and sunday in every GC there are tournaments (our handicap can be modified only playing in tournaments).

Women compete from the ladies tees with men.

I don't think it's that unfair, as normally women are shorter than men, so want they gain with the tee shot, they "lose" with their second shot (there are some exceptions, but normally with scratch women).

There are even some difference with handicaps, because if you have a 4 handicap woman, maybe she'll play 6 or 7 from the red tees, while men will play 4 or 5 from the yellow tees, for example.

But honestly I don't see what's the matter.

Women play their own tournament only in Official Tournaments (sponsored by the italian golf federation), while normally they play with men competing on the same tournament.

Who plays best, wins.

Where's the problem?