Tommy Armour 845s vs other classic irons, best for a beginner?

Following up with my question on whether I shall upgrade my Titleist Tour Model Irons, I thought of buying those 845s irons since my Tour Model irons are difficult to hit! How forgiving are them for beginners? Which other classic and cheap irons do you recommend for a beginner?

Some other names I saw on global golf (this is the store that I consider buying from because of their shipping fees, which are really good, please do not take this as a spam), are Cleveland Ta3,4,5, Ben Hogan Apex Edge, Ping Karsten irons, Adams Idea irons, Titleist DTR 1990, dci 962.

I ask about these because is the budget I can afford because shipping costs to Uruguay are expensive. I also am waiting for an offer of Ping i3s. There are thousands of messages about some of those irons, but I wanted a personalized response taking into considerations all the options I saw with affordable prices and affordable shipping rates.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a forged CAVITY back with a modestly over size face, like the BH Apex Edge or the Mizuno 23/25. I think for the beginner Titleist tour irons are a BIG mistake. An old set of Ping Eye2's would also be excellent, also the Tommy Armour 845 you mention, though they are not forged, also good are the Cleveland TA7s. Ping I3s should be fine also.

> @mocokid said:

> Get a forged CAVITY back with a modestly over size face, like the BH Apex Edge or the Mizuno 23/25. I think for the beginner Titleist tour irons are a BIG mistake. An old set of Ping Eye2's would also be excellent, also the Tommy Armour 845 you mention, though they are not forged, also good are the Cleveland TA7s. Ping I3s should be fine also.

Thanks! My queries with Ping Eyes 2 were that I read that the shaft that comes with them usually is difficult to swing. I am a young guy, 23 years old, 5 8' of height, and I'm still learning to hit the ball. I also read that they may dig a little bit into the ground and in case you hit fat shots (like I do lol) could be difficult.

I really like the Tommy Armours, never gamed them but they seem a classic! I wondered if their heads were also tiny (I do not think they're tinier than the titleist tour model lol!).

There's a thread in the classic forum about the Tommy Armour 845 check it out. They are not small as I recall, but there are a couple of models including an oversize head. I think the regular size head would be OK as it has some offset, and cavity back.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1395060/how-bout-the-tommy-armour-silver-scot-845s/p1

As the Titleist Tour Model irons are about as difficult a iron as there is to find solid strikes, almost anything else would be an improvement. Having said that I would throw my 2 cents whole heartedly behind the Tommy Armour 845s, the original Silver Scot design. Cheap, quite playable without being too big and clunky, its a very smart way to go. The Eye 2s are obviously a great club but they are a bit more finicky than the TA. The zz lite shaft is,not for everyone, nor is the abundant offset. It might suit you, might not. The 845 in regular flex would pretty much be fine for most golfers.

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

> @Kirasdad said:

> As the Titleist Tour Model irons are about as difficult a iron as there is to find solid strikes, almost anything else would be an improvement. Having said that I would throw my 2 cents whole heartedly behind the Tommy Armour 845s, the original Silver Scot design. Cheap, quite playable without being too big and clunky, its a very smart way to go. The Eye 2s are obviously a great club but they are a bit more finicky than the TA. The zz lite shaft is,not for everyone, nor is the abundant offset. It might suit you, might not. The 845 in regular flex would pretty much be fine for most golfers.

I really like those ones. Nonetheless, if the weather's fine I'm having a lesson on Saturday with a pro who gave me classes previously on a group, but this time individually. Maybe then I could ask him before buying anything.

> @deejaid said:

> I really liked the Cleveland TA5/TA7. Great clubs for a beginner and a more classic shape than the Ping Eye 2 which might make it easier to switch to something else if you decided to upgrade.

Thanks! I think I may be buying these if the person who I know doesn't sell to me the i3s.

I think the Cleveland TA5 must be one of the most forgiving ones from the list I mentioned, right?

> @Rodoalo said:

> > @deejaid said:

> > I really liked the Cleveland TA5/TA7. Great clubs for a beginner and a more classic shape than the Ping Eye 2 which might make it easier to switch to something else if you decided to upgrade.

>

> Thanks! I think I may be buying these if the person who I know doesn't sell to me the i3s.

> I think the Cleveland TA5 must be one of the most forgiving ones from the list I mentioned, right?

Yes, the TA5 and TA7 are both very forgiving clubs.

> @mocokid said:

> Good luck with lesson. If you can get the Ping I3s take them, good clubs. Almost all Pings have been well received and are forgiving.

What makes me doubt about the pings is the color chart. I measured myself and I would be in the green category, but what happens if I play in the black standard one? Or maybe in the blue that is near me? Should the color prevent me from buying them?

> @Rodoalo said:

> > @mocokid said:

> > Good luck with lesson. If you can get the Ping I3s take them, good clubs. Almost all Pings have been well received and are forgiving.

>

> What makes me doubt about the pings is the color chart. I measured myself and I would be in the green category, but what happens if I play in the black standard one? Or maybe in the blue that is near me? Should the color prevent me from buying them?

>

I've played upright lie, and regular lie in clubs. Seems in my case, I've found no difference in playing performance. Maybe, just me, but something to think about.

> @Wriggles said:

> > @Rodoalo said:

> > > @mocokid said:

> > > Good luck with lesson. If you can get the Ping I3s take them, good clubs. Almost all Pings have been well received and are forgiving.

> >

> > What makes me doubt about the pings is the color chart. I measured myself and I would be in the green category, but what happens if I play in the black standard one? Or maybe in the blue that is near me? Should the color prevent me from buying them?

> >

>

> **I've played upright lie, and regular lie in clubs. Seems in my case, I've found no difference in playing performance**. Maybe, just me, but something to think about.

I think we adjust. I know that I've got all sorts of lie angles lying around here and with a little adaptation I can play them all. I find that it's easier to go to flatter clubs than more upright as I usually have a fair bit of trouble going from say a standard set of Hogans to an upright (yellow dot) set of Pings which is about a 3° difference. It will take several rounds to adapt.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @scomac2002 said:

> > @Wriggles said:

> > > @Rodoalo said:

> > > > @mocokid said:

> > > > Good luck with lesson. If you can get the Ping I3s take them, good clubs. Almost all Pings have been well received and are forgiving.

> > >

> > > What makes me doubt about the pings is the color chart. I measured myself and I would be in the green category, but what happens if I play in the black standard one? Or maybe in the blue that is near me? Should the color prevent me from buying them?

> > >

> >

> > **I've played upright lie, and regular lie in clubs. Seems in my case, I've found no difference in playing performance**. Maybe, just me, but something to think about.

>

> I think we adjust. I know that I've got all sorts of lie angles lying around here and with a little adaptation I can play them all. I find that it's easier to go to flatter clubs than more upright as I usually have a fair bit of trouble going from say a standard set of Hogans to an upright (yellow dot) set of Pings which is about a 3° difference. It will take several rounds to adapt.

>

>

> @mocokid said:

> they can be adjusted by 2 colors I think.

Well, my height is 175 cm (I believe it is 5’8”) and my measurement from wrist to floor is 90 cm. Chart says I am green but the pro told me I’d be a red or black one.

Don’t know should I believe.

The chart has changed over the years. There are more variations on tighter increments now than there were during the era of the Eye 2. At 175 and 90 you're a yellow based on the current chart. You would need to confirm that with a lie board test and ballflight outdoors. That's what they did for me when I got my i25's.

In terms of adjusting an existing set, Ping can alter the lie angles up to 4 color codes either direction which is +/-3° each way. That's a fair bit for a cast club, but they can do it.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Some other options I have are these ones (I'll show you the pics because it will be easier for me to identify them):

![](https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Nv0AAOSwITZdAXmn/s-l500.jpg "")

![](https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/~HMAAOSw8xhdDBsy/s-l500.jpg "")

![](https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/-bcAAOSwEcxdAsj8/s-l500.jpg "")

![](https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/BioAAOSwIaRbzivV/s-l500.jpg "")

![](https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ayYAAOSwdHxbxP3K/s-l300.jpg "")

![](https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/9fgAAOSwFM1dAtTt/s-l500.jpg "")

Feel free to indicate which of these shall I not take into account.

Some of them could be bought on ebay and the Wilsons would be easier for me to get since they sell them here in Uruguay.

Thanks!

> @Rodoalo said:

> > @scomac2002 said:

> > > @Wriggles said:

> > > > @Rodoalo said:

> > > > > @mocokid said:

> > > > > Good luck with lesson. If you can get the Ping I3s take them, good clubs. Almost all Pings have been well received and are forgiving.

> > > >

> > > > What makes me doubt about the pings is the color chart. I measured myself and I would be in the green category, but what happens if I play in the black standard one? Or maybe in the blue that is near me? Should the color prevent me from buying them?

> > > >

> > >

> > > **I've played upright lie, and regular lie in clubs. Seems in my case, I've found no difference in playing performance**. Maybe, just me, but something to think about.

> >

> > I think we adjust. I know that I've got all sorts of lie angles lying around here and with a little adaptation I can play them all. I find that it's easier to go to flatter clubs than more upright as I usually have a fair bit of trouble going from say a standard set of Hogans to an upright (yellow dot) set of Pings which is about a 3° difference. It will take several rounds to adapt.

> >

> >

>

> > @mocokid said:

> > they can be adjusted by 2 colors I think.

>

> Well, my height is 175 cm (I believe it is 5’8”) and my measurement from wrist to floor is 90 cm. Chart says I am green but the pro told me I’d be a red or black one.

>

> Don’t know should I believe.

If the pro actually watched you swing and hit balls, then go with the pro. A static fitting like the one you had, just measurements, don't take into consideration how you address and swing the club.

• 5 weeks later...