Garmin Approach G80

> @Kennybg said:

> In relation to resetting , I decided to try it anyway, however after doing so the firmware is still the beta version 2.61.

>

Kennybg .... never had my unit shut down unexpectedly. Consider sending Garmin Service/Support ...... [email protected] ........ an e-mail & see what they have to say, they responded in a few days to one of my Q's see post # 83. As well, send Luke R. a P/M from the Garmin Support Team who posted in # 124 above. Would be interested in what you find out.

D.

Ping G430 10k - 10.5° Driver Tour Chrome 2.0 65 or Ventus Blue 6-S Velo

Ping G430 Max 15° 3 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 65 S or Ad Di8-S
Ping G430 Max 21° 7 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 75 S

Ping G430’s, 4-P/W - UST Recoil ES 780 F4-S

Ping G430 - 45° & 50° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Ping Glide Pro 56° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Limited Edition Putter

Ping DLX Cart Bag

V1 Sport Push Cart - Garmin Approach G80

D. Thanks for the suggestion. I've messaged Luke so will see if he has any ideas. I have also reset it to factory default so I'll try again tomorrow. If it still does it and Luke confirms it's not related to the beta software I'll just exchange it for another unit.

Update: I tried it again today after the reset and the problem is still there. I've handed it back to the retailer who will investigate and return it working or replace with a new unit.

I also got a reply from Luke at Garmin who tested the 2.61 firmware before posting it as a public beta and he did not experience any shutdowns. He also asked for further information which I gave him.

I downloaded 2.61 the other day, was at the range this afternoon hit about a dozen or so really beat up rock hard little/no dimple balls, my unit sure wasn't recording what I was seeing, hit P/W & 9i and 7i was recording at least 20 yds less than my actual .... ie I normally hit 150-155 yds 9i the unit was recording 130, 133 then 132. I believe it was the poor balls not the unit as I pulled out a few misc lost/found I had and was getting much better numbers. Went back to the chipping green and hitting 40 yd shots to center pin and the unit was recording identical numbers to what I posted the other day. Haven't got out on the course yet, playing in a tourney tomorrow, will be bringing the G80 out for sure.

D.

Ping DLX Cart Bag

Played in a small tourney with 30 guys at a different course today, brought the G80 and used it to warm up at the range, their balls were in much better shape & my numbers were close to what I was seeing. We all had carts, once we got going & started the round I was trying to find a place to keep the G80 and ended up putting it in my back pocket. I spent the first few holes pushing buttons to get to the right hole we were on and reading distances then entering my score, felt like a lot of extra work fooling around with the unit. That's when I decided to just leave it in the cup holder and used it when I needed to confirm pin distances and didn't bother keeping score because for me it was becoming a PIA. When we finished I forgot to check what the Distance Traveled was, deleted the score card and was not able to retrieve it, so i don't know if it worked or not. Playing my home course in the morning, will try not to forget.

Ping DLX Cart Bag

Well ... the "Distance & Time Played" work ..... it was a nice walk, but I forgot to bring my S5 watch to confirm. Score sucked, lost 2 bush & 1 water and 3 putted ...yuk.

D.

bw5gacn37tyu.jpg

Ping DLX Cart Bag

I went to the range yesterday with a newly acquired G80 and went through the bag. The numbers seem to be spot on for me. It failed to register a couple of times but I think that is user error.

I took the plunge buying this unit off OfferUp for $275 and at this point I couldn’t be happier.

I own and have owned a number of Garmin products and I expect the experience to be the same or better today on the course.

June 28th ... walked 18 today, made an effort to turn on both my G80 & S5 Garmin gadgets at the same time just before going to Hole # 1 T-box and when we walked off #18 made sure to stop & take a pic to confirm both Distance/Odometer and Playing Time. The time traveled was identical, I believe the S5 watch Odometer for distance traveled was inaccurate, buddy said his was just over 4 1/2 miles, the G80 was 4.4 miles. Wonder why the difference between gadget's ... perhaps Luke R. from Garmin Quality Team can advise all of us accordingly.

D.

8v14njb5vorj.jpg

Ping DLX Cart Bag

Ryan5508 ... good point, did a conversion this is what was calculated for my home course from the Blue's, the G80 appears to be more accurate than the S5 watch. Plan to do another comparison next week.

D.

cklp9mqxl18x.png

Ping DLX Cart Bag

I used the device in direct sunlight today. Radar mode with 92 degree heat. After 30ish minutes it displayed a message that the device was too cold. That I need for it to warm up before I can use it. I knew it was going to overheat but that bug is funny.

I need to figure out how to shade the device while its hot out.

Ryan 5508 ... nice Fenix gadget, looks like you walk fast & a decent distance plus burn lots of calories, too. Would be interesting to see how the G80 compares to your watch.

Pilot25 ... that's a funny bug you got there. This happened to me back in February when I was in Palm Springs .... it was 81F/27C, after 20 or so balls the unit shut down, this was the error message, covered it up with my damp towel turned it back on worked fine, after that I covered it up again with my damp towel while I took a break/water, no further issues.

D.

![](https://i.imgur.com/IwY9QSQ.jpg "")

Ping DLX Cart Bag

Its like any other electronic device. They aren't meant for direct hot sunlight and I bet the radar function really heats up on its own anyway.

I'm liking the device so far. Sometimes the radar is spot on and sometimes its off 10 yards. I think the heat of the device has something to do with it but I'm not entirely sure. I purchased it more for the GPS function anyway.

> @Zip-in-Z said:

> June 28th ... walked 18 today, made an effort to turn on both my G80 & S5 Garmin gadgets at the same time just before going to Hole # 1 T-box and when we walked off #18 made sure to stop & take a pic to confirm both Distance/Odometer and Playing Time. The time traveled was identical, I believe the S5 watch Odometer for distance traveled was inaccurate, buddy said his was just over 4 1/2 miles, the G80 was 4.4 miles. Wonder why the difference between gadget's ... perhaps Luke R. from Garmin Quality Team can advise all of us accordingly.

>

> D.

> .

> .

> 8v14njb5vorj.jpg

>

>

Some devices confuse the motion of your arm that's wearing it with walking. Friends of mine with FitBits will move their arms while sitting to "cheat" and get their 10,000 steps. My guess is the watch you used has similar technology that credits you with distance walked when your arms make certain movements.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

New2g0lf ... interesting suggestion/point, for my next round I'll try to remember to attach the S5 watch to the handle bar's of my push cart, that should keep both gadgets on a level playing field, will update accordingly.

Not playing on Monday, it's Canada Day, will be marching in the Royal Canadian Legion Color Party with the RCMP, Military as well as our community residents ... it's a big deal for our small town ...... Happy Canada Day to all our Cdn friends/members.

Cheers

David

Ping DLX Cart Bag

man, really on the fence about purchasing one. At first, had no interest given that it didn't give spin numbers but then I thought, heck, if at the range, you can see which way the ball is going anyways.

Is the GPS function better on the G80 vs. the G8?

Right now, G80 can be had for $400 while the G8 can be had for $250.

> @johnnybogey said:

> man, really on the fence about purchasing one. At first, had no interest given that it didn't give spin numbers but then I thought, heck, if at the range, you can see which way the ball is going anyways.

> Is the GPS function better on the G80 vs. the G8?

> Right now, G80 can be had for $400 while the G8 can be had for $250.

>

>

i highly recommend it. the gps functions great and to have the capabilities on the driving range just makes it that much more useful.

where are you seeing it for $400?

I finally used it on the course and it was really accurate. I went to a course has gps in the carts which are accurate to the pin location. The G80 was spot on to all the bunkers and green widths. Once I located the pin on the green I double checked the cart and it was accurate. So one would have to have a pin sheet in order to fire at pins. This is a bit of a downside. If you follow Dave Pelz way of hitting 100ish yards in you need to know accurate distances to know what club to use and how to use it. I know my 60* wedge half swing dead hands is 53 yards. The gps cannot be that accurate unless you happen to get lucky and place the pin perfectly on the device. That isn't possible.

The scorecard function was nice too. Once I got the hang of a rhythm it was quick to use. I wish it had the ability to input number of putts per hole.

Piolot25 .... the # of putts/hole is available if you had the ability to upload/download to Garmin connect ....

jvdop7uw3eex.jpg

ef1cq5k91seg.jpg

Ping DLX Cart Bag

> @sma said:

> > @johnnybogey said:

> > man, really on the fence about purchasing one. At first, had no interest given that it didn't give spin numbers but then I thought, heck, if at the range, you can see which way the ball is going anyways.

> > Is the GPS function better on the G80 vs. the G8?

> > Right now, G80 can be had for $400 while the G8 can be had for $250.

> >

> >

>

> i highly recommend it. the gps functions great and to have the capabilities on the driving range just makes it that much more useful.

>

> where are you seeing it for $400?

Golf Galaxy is offering $100 off orders of $500 or more. Just add the G80 and a $0.99 solvent bottle (needed to hit the $500 threshold since the G80 is $499.99) to get the discount. Might be other places, but this worked for me.

Paradym 10.5 w/Graphite Design ADHD 5S

Paradym 3WHL w/ Tensei Blue 6S

Paradym 7W w/ Tensei Blue 6S

Ping 425 4H w/Tensei Orange 80HYS at 23°

Yonex Ezone CB 301 5-PW w/ Nippon Modus TOUR125S

Mizuno Copper T22 50S, 54D, 58X w/ Project X LZ 6.0

LAB Golf B.2

> @wedgegame said:

> > @sma said:

> > > @johnnybogey said:

> > > man, really on the fence about purchasing one. At first, had no interest given that it didn't give spin numbers but then I thought, heck, if at the range, you can see which way the ball is going anyways.

> > > Is the GPS function better on the G80 vs. the G8?

> > > Right now, G80 can be had for $400 while the G8 can be had for $250.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > i highly recommend it. the gps functions great and to have the capabilities on the driving range just makes it that much more useful.

> >

> > where are you seeing it for $400?

>

> Golf Galaxy is offering $100 off orders of $500 or more. Just add the G80 and a $0.99 solvent bottle (needed to hit the $500 threshold since the G80 is $499.99) to get the discount. Might be other places, but this worked for me.

Yeah. I added a bag of tees and the $100 off applied.

In the end though, I went with the G8 for $250. I already have a GC2 in my garage and times I go to the range, the range balls are crappy so numbers would probably be off.

> @new2g0lf said:

> Some devices confuse the motion of your arm that's wearing it with walking. Friends of mine with FitBits will move their arms while sitting to "cheat" and get their 10,000 steps. My guess is the watch you used has similar technology that credits you with distance walked when your arms make certain movements.

>

July 03, walked 18 today, new2g0lf you were correct ... the Garmin S5 watch & G80 attached side-x-side on my push cart came up with almost the same numbers ...... distance traveled 4.3 miles vs 4.4 miles, ans for time played 3 hrs 10 min vs 3 hrs 11 min., close enough.

D.

3y8cnboll1aw.jpg

Ping DLX Cart Bag

> @Zip-in-Z said:

> > @new2g0lf said:

> > Some devices confuse the motion of your arm that's wearing it with walking. Friends of mine with FitBits will move their arms while sitting to "cheat" and get their 10,000 steps. My guess is the watch you used has similar technology that credits you with distance walked when your arms make certain movements.

> >

> .

> .

> July 03, walked 18 today, new2g0lf you were correct ... the Garmin S5 watch & G80 attached side-x-side on my push cart came up with almost the same numbers ...... distance traveled 4.3 miles vs 4.4 miles, ans for time played 3 hrs 10 min vs 3 hrs 11 min., close enough.

> .

> D.

> .

> .

> 3y8cnboll1aw.jpg

>

>

I'm glad that solved it.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*