Best Lightweight carry bag

TrickyGB ·  
TrickyGBTrickyGB  7WRX Points: 7Members Posts: 7 Bunkers

Looking for a new lightweight carry bag, does not need to go on a cart.

Still want the ability to take a jacket/waterproofs etc. Was looking at the Sun Mountain ranges, didn't know if the 2.5 would be too small? So maybe 3.5 or 4.5 - not 14 holder as only plan on carry 10 ish clubs. Read a few posts and people recommending the Taylormade Flextech Lite...

Anyone had any of these bags a few months and recommend? Appreciate the help

Posted:

Comments

• 3putt4thewin3putt4thewin  94WRX Points: 75Members Posts: 94 Fairways

The 2.5+ is a nice bag, very light. You can fit a jacket in it easily enough. It really is a minimalist style bag though and not intended to be loaded down with a lot of extras. I have loved using mine (over a year and half and no signs of wear for me) and it is a really nice lightweight yet full size/full feature bag.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • TrickyGBTrickyGB  7WRX Points: 7Members Posts: 7 Bunkers

On -, @3putt4thewin thanks for the reply, was initially swaying to this, was just concerned i couldn't fit everything in. In reality, i'd only need space for a water bottle, couple of extra ball, waterproof and perhaps a thicker jacket in winter - think this would fit in?
    Posted:
  • 3putt4thewin3putt4thewin  94WRX Points: 75Members Posts: 94 Fairways

Tricky- I've had no problem at all with my normal golf items as well as a fleece in the apparel pocket...but I did roll it up before putting it in there. A full rain suit might be a bit much but if you pack it right it should fit.

Posted:
  • chigolfer1chigolfer1  1232WRX Points: 295Members Posts: 1,232 Platinum Tees

On -, @TrickyGB said:

Looking for a new lightweight carry bag, does not need to go on a cart.

Still want the ability to take a jacket/waterproofs etc. Was looking at the Sun Mountain ranges, didn't know if the 2.5 would be too small? So maybe 3.5 or 4.5 - not 14 holder as only plan on carry 10 ish clubs. Read a few posts and people recommending the Taylormade Flextech Lite...

Anyone had any of these bags a few months and recommend? Appreciate the help

The 3.5 is great and not what I would call a minimalist bag. It has full length clothing pocket but is truly only 3.5 pounds due to the lightweight materials used.

Posted:
  • BYKBYK Cardinals Nation 2068WRX Points: 288Members Posts: 2,068 Platinum Tees

I like my 2.5
    haven't tried out the 2.5+ to see if there's Any difference

Posted:
    Yadi for President
  • Hat TrickHat Trick  572WRX Points: 77Members Posts: 572 Golden Tee

Don't forget the SM Front 9 - which is the old Swift X. That was a great carry bag with a little bit more beef to it than 2.5+, but not as big as 3.5

Posted:

Advertisement

Thanks for the help all, sounds like all should fit the bill, may opt for the 3.5, only an extra pound in weight and gives slight additional storage should I need it

I’m UK based so the front 9 is tricky to get hold of

Posted:
  • TommyjTommyj  607WRX Points: 219Members Posts: 607 Golden Tee

Consider the Callaway Hyperlite Zero as well, especially if you are only carrying 10 clubs. It comes in at around the same weight as the SM 2.5+. I've always had a SM 3.5 but picked up a SM 4.5LS in 2017. Its a really nice bag but has way more pockets than I need and on the large side as I only carry 12 clubs, also too heavy for me.

Posted:

Thanks!

How do people find the new straps that aren’t solid, ie, the ones that balance themselves? I struggled on my old Titleist pencil bag and a lot of the lightweight ones seem to have this. (Where the straps aren’t set and pass each other and move as you pick up the bag)

Posted:
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Iowa 20399WRX Points: 4,325ClubWRX Posts: 20,399 ClubWRX

2.5+ has stouter material than the 2.5. I can get rain pants and rain jacket in no problem, but they fill the long pocket. It's everything I need in a bag.

Posted:

On -, @Hawkeye77 said:

2.5+ has stouter material than the 2.5. I can get rain pants and rain jacket in no problem, but they fill the long pocket. It's everything I need in a bag.

How are the self adjusting straps? Does the back sit flat enough on the back every time you pick it up?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • buntabunta  771WRX Points: 440Members Posts: 771 Golden Tee

do not get the 2.5 or the 2.5+ if you do not intend to replace the x-strap with the EZ-fit strap. The x-strap is pure garbage.

Posted:
    TS3 / 785 / SM7 / Juno
  • duffer987duffer987 Meh... eh Canadian in California 9673WRX Points: 957Handicap: ~8Members Posts: 9,673 Titanium Tees

Titleist Players 4 StaDry.
    Fits anything you'd need, light, easy carry, has a solid base so can easily go on trolleys (although I know you said that wasn't a requirement) if need be.
    I used it for 14 rounds in 16 days a couple weeks back. Carried 4 times, used a trolley 10 and it worked a charm.

Since you're UK-based, I'd also take a look at Big Max offerings.

Posted:

On -, @bunta said:

do not get the 2.5 or the 2.5+ if you do not intend to replace the x-strap with the EZ-fit strap. The x-strap is pure garbage.

This has been my concern, why is it so bad? I think it’s the same on the 3.5 too, and similar system on the flex tech light?

Posted:

On -, @bunta said:

In what sense? Works fine for me on my 3.5.

Posted:
  • ShakesterShakester  609WRX Points: 132Handicap: 9Members Posts: 609 Golden Tee

Most of the people in my group that carry all use the Titleist 4. The Sun Mountain 3.5 is another option.

Posted:
    Cobra Speedzone 9 degrees (Aldila Rogue 60) 
    Taylormade M2 3 Wood 15
    Taylormade P790 2 Iron UDI
    Taylormade P770 Irons (4-PW)
    Titleist SM6 Vokey Wedges (50, 55 & 60)
    Titleist Select Newport 2.5
    Titleist AVX, TP5 and Pro V1x

Advertisement
  • tmfool tmfool  1831WRX Points: 115Handicap: 3.4Members Posts: 1,831 Platinum Tees

On -, @bunta said:

replaced x-strap with strap off tm lite bag...much better
    sun mountain 2.5 has to be lightest carry/stand bag around - especially if you find one for $149 shipped

Posted:
    TP MC 6-PW Steelfiber i95
    UDI 3-4-5 steelfiber i95
    Puglielli Black 52&56 s/fiber i125
    Adams XTD Superhybrid 17* s/fiber i110
    Superfast TP 13* Matrix HD7
    M2 9.5 (upright) Matrix 7M3
    SC Studio Select custom
    Snell MTB
  • williefowilliefo  84WRX Points: 44Members Posts: 84 Fairways

3.5 holds all you need and straps are very comfortable.

Posted:
  • tatertottatertot  4609WRX Points: 920Members Posts: 4,609 Titanium Tees

I'm using the Ping 4 Mascot ... I like it much better than the normal 4 series and it seems sturdier. Don't know the weight, but it feels slightly lighter than my Swift X. Only 5 pockets, but plenty of room for rain jacket and all necessities.

Posted:
    Driver: TaylorMade M3, 10.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Ping Mascot
  • simonndsimonnd  54WRX Points: 32Members Posts: 54 Bunkers

Another vote for Callaway Hyperlite Zero. It is lightweight and durable.

Posted:

On -, @williefo said:

3.5 holds all you need and straps are very comfortable.

Seconded. The bag is about as big as you'll ever need for standard items you'd stuff in a bag yet it's still only 3.5 pounds. Per the specs I see on various web sites, the 2.5 is actually 2.95 pounds so it's almost just as light too.

To each his own but it's not readily apparent to me what some are experiencing as far as not liking the x-straps so much. Maybe ignorance is bliss and I don't want to know, lol. The only thing that's a little different/weird is when they slide past each other you can hear and feel it but when I carry the bag I don't notice any issues. Of course, this is only the second carry bag of my life with the dual straps so maybe ignorance really is bliss.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ThinneditThinnedit  60WRX Points: 66Handicap: 24.8Members Posts: 60 Bunkers

+1 Callaway hyperlite zero

Posted:
    Mavrik 9.0⁰ even flow riptide 60s
    Epic flash 3wd tensei blue CK 65s  • Rogue Pro 5-P xp105 s300
    Strokelab Black Ten • MD4 50⁰ 54⁰ PM19 58⁰ dg 115 tour issue
    Hyperlite Zero • Chrome soft / ERC soft
  • gjlang76gjlang76  245WRX Points: 95Members Posts: 245 Fairways

The Jones Original. Awesome bag, very light and extremely comfortable to carry. I carry a jacket in mine and it fits 13 clubs comfortably. The 2.5+ would be a distant 2nd, and only if having a stand is a must.

Posted:

Thanks all, think I’ll pull the trigger soon, seems like most will do the job perfectly for me so will see if there are any offers around

Posted:
  • duffer987duffer987 Meh... eh Canadian in California 9673WRX Points: 957Handicap: ~8Members Posts: 9,673 Titanium Tees

^I'm sure you're aware of your buying options, but I've found these guys to be good https://golfbase.co.uk/accessories/accessories/golf-bags.html

Posted:
  • 6thFairway6thFairway  1853WRX Points: 149Handicap: 11Members Posts: 1,853 Platinum Tees

I'll throw a recommendation in for the Ping Hoofer Lite. Very nice bag used by high school golf teams all over. My brother in law coaches one, and the parents bought him a bag-- looks nice and performs great. If you know a authorized retailer, they can order one with no graphics/no logo.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.