A case of the 'if only's.

andrue

Scored 81 off the standard tees (5800 yards, par 70) in my regular round with a mate today. A good score, I feel for someone playing off 22. But:

* I got a double bogey on the 6th (usually a guaranteed par)

* I got a double bogey on the 7th (usually a guaranteed par)

* I would've got a birdie on the 8th except for a slight odd putt that went around the hole but then just wouldn't drop in.

* I made a bit of a bog hole of the 15th and was lucky to get a bogey.

So I nearly went round in 75 (5 over par).

You could play the "if only" game forever. In my last round I had 200 to the front of the green sitting in the middle of the fairway on a par 5. Pulled the shot left and blocked myself out from the green. Got a bogey on what should have been an easy par at worst. Was beating myself up about it until I realized that I hit the green on another hole after an amazing escape from the wrong fairway and I got up and down for par two other times in the same front nine. Sometimes it goes that way.

81 for a 22hcp is crazy good by the way. Focus on that huge positive!

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

Thanks. Yeah, my scores from the standard tees are great. Sadly they don't translate to competitions, and hence my handicap. It's not nerves or 'trying too hard'. I just feel self-conscious like I'm on display or something. I've been trying to take part in more comps to make it 'normal' but it's a struggle. Once the scorecards come out my game changes. Next comp will be the July medal in two weeks. We shall see :)

I had a funny round yesterday.

I'd been swamped at work so I honestly never cared that much. I wasn't playing particularly well, but I was even par through 8 holes with a bogey, a birdie and a couple up and downs so I was definitely rolling. The back 9 is usually the easier side so I was pretty pleased.

...long story short I finished up with an 81, LOL.

I started on #10 with a double from the green-side bunker. I thought I had settled down when I sunk a long one for birdie on the next hole, but that was when it got ugly!

It began with a missed 3-footer for Par.

Then the 4-iron I hit off the tee on a straight-ahead Par-4 went into the trees. Wow.

Then I missed a 2-ft birdie putt on a Par-5.

After a couple pars I managed to triple a short hole with a 4-putt. Wow.

And then for good measure I made bogey from about 100-yds out before parring the last.

Yay, golf!

Considering the final stretch of 6 holes is usually relatively easy, I was pretty disappointed to shoot +6 with a missed 6-ft par putt, a missed birdie putt from 2-ft, a 3-jack from about 10-ft and another 3-jack from about 25-ft.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

People typically want to play the "if only" game only on bogeys or doubles....no one wants to give back the chip shot they holed for birdie LOL

The only one that stands out for me big time is the first year i joined my club 6-7 years ago. I missed qualifying for our interclub team by something like 2 strokes, and in the 4 qualifying rounds i played the easiest hole on the course (a straightaway 505yd par 5 with no real trouble) at +7 for the 4 rounds. If i had played that hole using only a 6 iron i could've beaten that easily

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I played today and shot an 86. I was happy with the way I played except two holes, one a triple and the other a double. The triple was on a short par 4 that I hit a 3w off the tee and left myself 40 yards to the green, flew the back to front sloping green which I followed with a decent flop that rolled off the front. On with my 4th and three putted. The double was a par 5 that I should have parred. After the round, I was kicking myself for 5 thrown away shots but realized I still had a decent round.

> @MtlJeff said:

> People typically want to play the "if only" game only on bogeys or doubles....no one wants to give back the chip shot they holed for birdie LOL

>

> The only one that stands out for me big time is the first year i joined my club 6-7 years ago. I missed qualifying for our interclub team by something like 2 strokes, and in the 4 qualifying rounds i played the easiest hole on the course (a straightaway 505yd par 5 with no real trouble) at +7 for the 4 rounds. If i had played that hole using only a 6 iron i could've beaten that easily

>

>

Played with a guy on and off for years. He was the 6th guy in our standard rotation.

I will call him Reggie. That's not his real name.

Reggie's dialogue in the locker room or parking lot after a round typically sounded like this:

"If I didn't double 6, 8 and 11 and then miss those putts on 1, 14, 17 and 18, I would have shot 72."

He was the same guy who stated, after seeing his daughter in one HS musical production, that she was "good enough" for Broadway.

• Like 1

> @Ferguson said:

> > @MtlJeff said:

> > People typically want to play the "if only" game only on bogeys or doubles....no one wants to give back the chip shot they holed for birdie LOL

> >

> > The only one that stands out for me big time is the first year i joined my club 6-7 years ago. I missed qualifying for our interclub team by something like 2 strokes, and in the 4 qualifying rounds i played the easiest hole on the course (a straightaway 505yd par 5 with no real trouble) at +7 for the 4 rounds. If i had played that hole using only a 6 iron i could've beaten that easily

> >

> >

>

> Played with a guy on and off for years. He was the 6th guy in our standard rotation.

> I will call him Reggie. That's not his real name.

>

> Reggie's dialogue in the locker room or parking lot after a round typically sounded like this:

>

> "If I didn't double 6, 8 and 11 and then miss those putts on 1, 14, 17 and 18, I would have shot 72."

>

> He was the same guy who stated, after seeing his daughter in one HS musical production, that she was "good enough" for Broadway.

>

>

That is how you justify keep playing. It is the potential to go low (for yourself) "if only".

Golf is a hard game.

Had four birdies through 10 holes and was +1 through 11 on Saturday. Managed only two pars on the remaining 7 holes to finish at 79. Did I mention that I didn't miss a fairway in those 7 holes?

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

> @cval said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > > @MtlJeff said:

> > > People typically want to play the "if only" game only on bogeys or doubles....no one wants to give back the chip shot they holed for birdie LOL

> > >

> > > The only one that stands out for me big time is the first year i joined my club 6-7 years ago. I missed qualifying for our interclub team by something like 2 strokes, and in the 4 qualifying rounds i played the easiest hole on the course (a straightaway 505yd par 5 with no real trouble) at +7 for the 4 rounds. If i had played that hole using only a 6 iron i could've beaten that easily

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Played with a guy on and off for years. He was the 6th guy in our standard rotation.

> > I will call him Reggie. That's not his real name.

> >

> > Reggie's dialogue in the locker room or parking lot after a round typically sounded like this:

> >

> > "If I didn't double 6, 8 and 11 and then miss those putts on 1, 14, 17 and 18, I would have shot 72."

> >

> > He was the same guy who stated, after seeing his daughter in one HS musical production, that she was "good enough" for Broadway.

> >

> >

>

> That is how you justify keep playing. It is the potential to go low (for yourself) "if only".

Reggie loved the "if only" rounds.

Reggie would only record "good rounds" into GHIN.

Reggie's poor bunker shots were followed up with a "no one rakes footprints" comment.

Reggie once tried to sue Brusters Ice Cream shop.

> @andrue said:

> Scored 81 off the standard tees (5800 yards, par 70) in my regular round with a mate today. A good score, I feel for someone playing off 22. But:

> * I got a double bogey on the 6th (usually a guaranteed par)

> * I got a double bogey on the 7th (usually a guaranteed par)

> * I would've got a birdie on the 8th except for a slight odd putt that went around the hole but then just wouldn't drop in.

> * I made a bit of a bog hole of the 15th and was lucky to get a bogey.

>

> So I nearly went round in 75 (5 over par).

When I was a 22, there was no such thing as a hole that was a guaranteed par. Wait, as a 10, that’s still the case!

• Like 1

Yeah, it's absolutely true that I ig> @lchang said:

> > @andrue said:

> > Scored 81 off the standard tees (5800 yards, par 70) in my regular round with a mate today. A good score, I feel for someone playing off 22. But:

> > * I got a double bogey on the 6th (usually a guaranteed par)

> > * I got a double bogey on the 7th (usually a guaranteed par)

> > * I would've got a birdie on the 8th except for a slight odd putt that went around the hole but then just wouldn't drop in.

> > * I made a bit of a bog hole of the 15th and was lucky to get a bogey.

> >

> > So I nearly went round in 75 (5 over par).

>

> When I was a 22, there was no such thing as a hole that was a guaranteed par. Wait, as a 10, that’s still the case!

Lol, fair point. However those two holes are par 4 and only 300 and 270 yards respectively. Even if - like me - you don't drive much over 200 yards those holes come pretty close :)

Today was a bit wet but I managed an 87 anyway. It's beginning to look like it could be a good season for me. I just have to work out how to carry that form to a competition.

> @Ferguson said:

> > @cval said:

> > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > @MtlJeff said:

> > > > People typically want to play the "if only" game only on bogeys or doubles....no one wants to give back the chip shot they holed for birdie LOL

> > > >

> > > > The only one that stands out for me big time is the first year i joined my club 6-7 years ago. I missed qualifying for our interclub team by something like 2 strokes, and in the 4 qualifying rounds i played the easiest hole on the course (a straightaway 505yd par 5 with no real trouble) at +7 for the 4 rounds. If i had played that hole using only a 6 iron i could've beaten that easily

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Played with a guy on and off for years. He was the 6th guy in our standard rotation.

> > > I will call him Reggie. That's not his real name.

> > >

> > > Reggie's dialogue in the locker room or parking lot after a round typically sounded like this:

> > >

> > > "If I didn't double 6, 8 and 11 and then miss those putts on 1, 14, 17 and 18, I would have shot 72."

> > >

> > > He was the same guy who stated, after seeing his daughter in one HS musical production, that she was "good enough" for Broadway.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > That is how you justify keep playing. It is the potential to go low (for yourself) "if only".

>

> Reggie loved the "if only" rounds.

Good for him

> Reggie would only record "good rounds" into GHIN.

Only hurting himself

> Reggie's poor bunker shots were followed up with a "no one rakes footprints" comment.

So? Did he not take the strokes?

> Reggie once tried to sue Brusters Ice Cream shop.

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

the sooner you stop being focused on score the sooner you can play golf. Sounds like you got a lot going on between the ears. Focus on that, give yourself a score on how you you were mentally for each shot. That's what its about, not the outcome of the shot. The side effect is a low score but the focus needs to be on staying positive, thinking only about the shot at hand, not worrying about anybody else but you and not about what score you are at. My absolute best rounds are when I could not even tell you where I am at relative to par. All I care about is the shot i'm on.

• Like 1

OP

Focus on the process and not the results

Awesome book by Gio Valiente would help you tremendously. He talks at length about various golfer types

One of the secrets in golf is KNOWING that the only person that cares about your score is **you**. Stop being a Nelly Negative. Hit a shot. Go find it, pick your target and try your best again, rinse and repeat. Making a 3 or 7 should not change your attitude or mental approach

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @"rich s" said:

> the sooner you stop being focused on score the sooner you can play golf. Sounds like you got a lot going on between the ears. Focus on that, give yourself a score on how you you were mentally for each shot. That's what its about, not the outcome of the shot. The side effect is a low score but the focus needs to be on staying positive, thinking only about the shot at hand, not worrying about anybody else but you and not about what score you are at. My absolute best rounds are when I could not even tell you where I am at relative to par. All I care about is the shot i'm on.

Yup, the death knell move by your partners ... "Hey Uncle Cardie, did you know you're 4 under?" ARGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @cval said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > > @cval said:

> > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > @MtlJeff said:

> > > > > People typically want to play the "if only" game only on bogeys or doubles....no one wants to give back the chip shot they holed for birdie LOL

> > > > >

> > > > > The only one that stands out for me big time is the first year i joined my club 6-7 years ago. I missed qualifying for our interclub team by something like 2 strokes, and in the 4 qualifying rounds i played the easiest hole on the course (a straightaway 505yd par 5 with no real trouble) at +7 for the 4 rounds. If i had played that hole using only a 6 iron i could've beaten that easily

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Played with a guy on and off for years. He was the 6th guy in our standard rotation.

> > > > I will call him Reggie. That's not his real name.

> > > >

> > > > Reggie's dialogue in the locker room or parking lot after a round typically sounded like this:

> > > >

> > > > "If I didn't double 6, 8 and 11 and then miss those putts on 1, 14, 17 and 18, I would have shot 72."

> > > >

> > > > He was the same guy who stated, after seeing his daughter in one HS musical production, that she was "good enough" for Broadway.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > That is how you justify keep playing. It is the potential to go low (for yourself) "if only".

> >

> > Reggie loved the "if only" rounds.

> Good for him

> > Reggie would only record "good rounds" into GHIN.

> Only hurting himself

> > Reggie's poor bunker shots were followed up with a "no one rakes footprints" comment.

> So? Did he not take the strokes?

> > Reggie once tried to sue Brusters Ice Cream shop.

> What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

>

>

Reggie would blame his poor golf game on "other things", such as course conditions and meals.

He once missed a bunch of putts then accused a greens keeper of over watering the greens stating, "healthy grass only needs 1" of water per week. No one can putt on wet greens."

Any tee shot that went left, "this tee box is pitched that way."

After shooting 46 for 9 holes one day after work, he blamed "a very filling lunch."

> @Ferguson said:

>

> > @cval said:

> > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > @cval said:

> > > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > > @MtlJeff said:

> > > > > > People typically want to play the "if only" game only on bogeys or doubles....no one wants to give back the chip shot they holed for birdie LOL

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The only one that stands out for me big time is the first year i joined my club 6-7 years ago. I missed qualifying for our interclub team by something like 2 strokes, and in the 4 qualifying rounds i played the easiest hole on the course (a straightaway 505yd par 5 with no real trouble) at +7 for the 4 rounds. If i had played that hole using only a 6 iron i could've beaten that easily

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Played with a guy on and off for years. He was the 6th guy in our standard rotation.

> > > > > I will call him Reggie. That's not his real name.

> > > > >

> > > > > Reggie's dialogue in the locker room or parking lot after a round typically sounded like this:

> > > > >

> > > > > "If I didn't double 6, 8 and 11 and then miss those putts on 1, 14, 17 and 18, I would have shot 72."

> > > > >

> > > > > He was the same guy who stated, after seeing his daughter in one HS musical production, that she was "good enough" for Broadway.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > That is how you justify keep playing. It is the potential to go low (for yourself) "if only".

> > >

> > > Reggie loved the "if only" rounds.

> > Good for him

> > > Reggie would only record "good rounds" into GHIN.

> > Only hurting himself

> > > Reggie's poor bunker shots were followed up with a "no one rakes footprints" comment.

> > So? Did he not take the strokes?

> > > Reggie once tried to sue Brusters Ice Cream shop.

> > What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

> >

> >

>

> Reggie would blame his poor golf game on "other things", such as course conditions and meals.

>

> He once missed a bunch of putts then accused a greens keeper of over watering the greens stating, "healthy grass only needs 1" of water per week. No one can putt on wet greens."

>

> Any tee shot that went left, "this tee box is pitched that way."

>

> After shooting 46 for 9 holes one day after work, he blamed "a very filling lunch."

>

>

>

>

>

Sounds like he may be annoying but harmless. It would not bother me that much, but he might get some ribbing from our group.

I played a 9 hole round at the course here in town that I play often. The second hole is a par 4 that I usually play pretty decent. Parred it a few times, make a lot of bogies, not many big numbers. High handicapper here, btw. I flubbed my drive and left myself a good 230 to the green. I lay up to about 100, then my 3rd shot runs through the green just into the rough. Its downhill to the cup from there, and run the chip onto the fringe on the other side of the green. So Ive got about 25 feet or so for bogey, and I hole the putt. Sweet, ill take it.

Hole 3 is a par 3 that usually eats my lunch. Tough green to hit, its small and the putts break hard. Im happy to walk off with bogey here. But I hit a nice tee shot, lands just short of a front pin and runs up to about 4 feet. Im thinking "sweet, this would be my first birdie here if i can pop this in." Nope, that left edge putt i thought i had was actually about 2 cups and it runs well by on the low side and I miss the comebacker.

So im thinking afterwards, "if only that bogey putt on 2 had just missed, the golf gods may have given me that birdie putt."

> @cval said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> >

> > > @cval said:

> > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > @cval said:

> > > > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > > > @MtlJeff said:

> > > > > > > People typically want to play the "if only" game only on bogeys or doubles....no one wants to give back the chip shot they holed for birdie LOL

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > The only one that stands out for me big time is the first year i joined my club 6-7 years ago. I missed qualifying for our interclub team by something like 2 strokes, and in the 4 qualifying rounds i played the easiest hole on the course (a straightaway 505yd par 5 with no real trouble) at +7 for the 4 rounds. If i had played that hole using only a 6 iron i could've beaten that easily

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Played with a guy on and off for years. He was the 6th guy in our standard rotation.

> > > > > > I will call him Reggie. That's not his real name.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Reggie's dialogue in the locker room or parking lot after a round typically sounded like this:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > "If I didn't double 6, 8 and 11 and then miss those putts on 1, 14, 17 and 18, I would have shot 72."

> > > > > >

> > > > > > He was the same guy who stated, after seeing his daughter in one HS musical production, that she was "good enough" for Broadway.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > That is how you justify keep playing. It is the potential to go low (for yourself) "if only".

> > > >

> > > > Reggie loved the "if only" rounds.

> > > Good for him

> > > > Reggie would only record "good rounds" into GHIN.

> > > Only hurting himself

> > > > Reggie's poor bunker shots were followed up with a "no one rakes footprints" comment.

> > > So? Did he not take the strokes?

> > > > Reggie once tried to sue Brusters Ice Cream shop.

> > > What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Reggie would blame his poor golf game on "other things", such as course conditions and meals.

> >

> > He once missed a bunch of putts then accused a greens keeper of over watering the greens stating, "healthy grass only needs 1" of water per week. No one can putt on wet greens."

> >

> > Any tee shot that went left, "this tee box is pitched that way."

> >

> > After shooting 46 for 9 holes one day after work, he blamed "a very filling lunch."

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> Sounds like he may be annoying but harmless. It would not bother me that much, but he might get some ribbing from our group.

This guy was over the top.

I echo many of the comments already posted. Most people only want to improve what went wrong on their theoretical scorecard.

At the end of every round, I go hole-by-hole and see if gained or wasted a shot. I don't probability adjust things or take fractions of a stroke like strokes gained, but I just look at whether I think I got the score that was most likely, higher, or lower. I.e. taking 4 from 100 yards is a wasted shot. Any birdie is a gained shot. A 15 footer for par is a gained shot (more likely to bogey at that point). At the end of the round the cumulative difference vs. what I actually shot is usually only a couple of shots (either way).

• 2 weeks later...

What could have, should have, would have....is part of the fun. This is what brings a lot of amateur golfers back to the course over and over again. I don't dwell on it but I certainly think about it walking off of the course once in a while. Those days are more productive than the days I walk off wondering if I should have went to work that day or maybe start bowling lol.

I am officially a 7.5 and sometimes feel like a 27.5 :-). Yesterday though, I was even after the first 8, and ended up 3 over. I missed 3 birdie putts inside of 7 feet, and 4 more inside of 20 feet and ended up with 15 pars and zero birdies. Do I think that one could have been better...sure. I hit the ball where I wanted it most of the day and did not have to scramble on a single hole. I did not make a single putt outside of 10 feet.

I can't wait to play tomorrow. Maybe that will be the day that I can putt and hit the ball both....maybe the day that was all it could have been.

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

• 1 month later...

> @andrue said:

> Scored 81 off the standard tees (5800 yards, par 70) in my regular round with a mate today. A good score, I feel for someone playing off 22. But:

> * I got a double bogey on the 6th (usually a guaranteed par)

> * I got a double bogey on the 7th (usually a guaranteed par)

> * I would've got a birdie on the 8th except for a slight odd putt that went around the hole but then just wouldn't drop in.

> * I made a bit of a bog hole of the 15th and was lucky to get a bogey.

>

> So I nearly went round in 75 (5 over par).

Well, last week I played a local muni tournament. I have my own if only. I made mistakes all around the green for the two rounds. I counted and those mistakes cost me 10 strokes. Guess what, I finished 5th. The winner, he finished 8 strokes ahead of me. Yeah, the what if scenario. I effing hate it. lol

And oh, most of the mistakes I made, resulted in bogeys, mostly on par 5's and very short par 4's, like 300 yard par 4's.

But as I grow mature as a player, I slowly improve the way I think when I play and after I play. It is hard but at least I am improving. One day I'll shut up about the if only's.

Great responses in this thread by the way.

My last 3 rounds are 90, 78, and 84. The 90 was the best putting day, the 84 was the best driving day, and the 78 felt kinda blah, I just didn't ever really get into any trouble.

If only I could put it all together in the same round... lol

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8