You Should Be On Tour!

BuzzCat

Launch a couple 350+ bombs and everyone assumes you should be on tour. Actually there’s a greeter at my favorite local Sushi place that says I look like a tour player every time I see her

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

Not the Tour comment but the scratch comments...

Playing partners are always giving me crap... 2 of them keep pushing me to enter local tournaments to develop a more serious game I decline because I do not have the commitment to keep up a high level game.

I am fortunate to be invited to play in many "fundraising" scramble.... oddly my contributions get us near the podiums or on the podiums so when I see familiar faces I get the wow you scratch yet comments...

When you hit the ball MUCH further in relation to the other player....that usually gains the you should be on tour comment... heck I get the wow that was 300 yards drive.... full knowing that it was about 250 yards just 50 yards in front of everyone else...so it seems egregiously long.

The only time I think I would ever take the you should be on tour is when I average 6 birdies per round..... till then.... Its just the fact that your player partners are not at the same level that you are........

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Most of the comments come from the "visual" long drive...makes me think how far away most are from actually realizing what skills make you a tour player.

Listened to the foreplay podcast (pretty bad podcast for golf, but it was the US open special and had to kill time), they had Kisner on, and made the point that he's 27th in the world at golf. Pretty amazing he's that good when you think about how many other guys have the "traits" of what most think a tour player should have.

I had that comment before just because I hit a draw. Unfortunately, need to do better than 210 carry bouncing out to about 240 to make the tour.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

I worked at Alondra Golf Course near LAX. We used to get tons of Asian tourists playing there because it was so cheap compared to places like Japan, where you need to get certified at a range before you can even play a course. I have taken photos with tourists so many times. I am only like 6'2" but they used to take photos with me like I was a giant. I only hit the ball maybe 280y. I was scratch in early college and held a 1.8 handi when I moved to cali before I got a desk job.

I talked to a businessman in college about going pro. The conversation was basically he would bankroll me and pay me an hourly salary to practice. Just bang balls and putt all day, make a run. Never did get it kicked off. Best I ever finished in amateurs was 55 out of 150 Division 1 golfers at the Mid-Ohio Amateur. But for a guy with home built swing, no lessons, wasn't too bad.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Oh man chops love to say you should play on tour cause they rarely see anyone smoke a drive deep or a 3wood or shoot a few under....

This guy nick named Tom Vu at our course yells great shot as soon anyone smokes a shot then when it spin out of bounds its fun to watch players react to bad timing loud yelling Tom Vu who can't hit 200 yards haha...

Can't figure how to like my own posts

• 2 weeks later...

> @markheardjr said:

> I worked at Alondra Golf Course near LAX. We used to get tons of Asian tourists playing there because it was so cheap compared to places like Japan, where you need to get certified at a range before you can even play a course. I have taken photos with tourists so many times. I am only like 6'2" but they used to take photos with me like I was a giant. I only hit the ball maybe 280y. I was scratch in early college and held a 1.8 handi when I moved to cali before I got a desk job.

>

> I talked to a businessman in college about going pro. The conversation was basically he would bankroll me and pay me an hourly salary to practice. Just bang balls and putt all day, make a run. Never did get it kicked off. Best I ever finished in amateurs was 55 out of 150 Division 1 golfers at the Mid-Ohio Amateur. But for a guy with home built swing, no lessons, wasn't too bad.

Love your bag man. great set you got there. Regarding your story, it's a tough go out there in the tour world. The fact that you're a self taught player stands for itself. Its about enjoying the game, no matter what you shoot.

Had a guy in my youth thought I was ready. I chipped in back to back, one for a birdie the other for a par. He apparently forgot what I did on the previous holes.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I've gotten the opposite. Got paired up with another single once. He was a super nice guy who didn't play much due to family obligations but shot mid to high 70s. After about the 3rd or 4th hole he said to me "you sure do have a nice looking swing to be a bad golfer." He didn't say it in a snarky manner. He was more perplexed. I didn't get upset. Just laughed because I know it's true. Still cracks me up.

• Like 1

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

I used to get it a lot. I'm a +3 now. Average between 67 - 72. Have been lower. I just say thanks and laugh inside. The difference is staggering. I've played with guys on tour now, and many more 10-15 years ago. I figure as a +3 on my home course I'm about 6 shots per round off the pace of a pro on their home course. Simple math shows that is 24 shots back in a 4 round event. So not even close. I think if I played in every PGA event in a year, I'd be lucky to make 1 cut.

I hit plenty of good shots. But my consistency is way, way off from a tour player.

• 4 weeks later...

No, but I did shoot a 2 over 74 while playing with an older couple on a difficult weather day with lots of wind and a bit of rain.

Best compliment I ever had after a round. "It was nice to watch you play"

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I get it whenever I get paired up with randoms at a public course. Like someone said earlier, I don't think I've ever been paired up with someone that broke 80 though. So to your average player that shoots 90, you are quite impressive to them if you're shooting around even. Most people don't realize though that even consistent scratch players would average high 70's playing tour setup courses.

Qi10 LS 10.5* Diamana TB 60TX

BRNR Mini 13.5* Diamana ZF 70X

Stealth 2 5W 18* Diamana TB 80TX

Apex UW 21* AD DI 8X

P7TW 4-PW DG Tour Issue X100

SM9 Brushed Steel 56S, 60T DG Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #3

Pro V1X

Not necessarily the "on tour" comment, but i constantly get the "dude you should try out for the long drive tour." I hover in the 126 clubhead speed and drive the ball over 300 pretty constantly, naturally, randoms i get paired up with ALSO "hit it 300" (more like 220) and assume that since theyre 300 out, and im 80ish yards by them, i'm hitting it 380 with a standard driver and therefore, qualify to be hitting it 450+ yards.

actually just snapped at a coworker that is a 25+ handicap and claims to hit his 3 wood 280. i've golfed with him...he hits it 140

I joked to my coworker once after cold topping a 5 wood from the fairway on the first hole that I was planning to go pro.

I don't think he got the joke and we never played a round together again after that

:sweat_smile:

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

I was in Alaska about a month ago and I played 2 rounds with my brother-in-law (1 included his dad). They both thought I should give it a serious go to get my game in shape to try to make it onto the tour. I shot 79 from about 7200 yards and 76 from about 6400. The Alaska Senior Amateur was played on that same course in between when we played...+6 for 3 rounds won. Then I told them that I figured an average tour player would have beaten me by at least 20 strokes over the 2 rounds. I know how far off I am, it didn't quite occur to them.

> @Edward_Majorwin said:

> No tour comments coming my way but just last weekend one of my buds intros me to a new guy in our group and says "this guy (me) will kill us today" and I then proceed to chunk my 4i off the opening tee and generally play pretty bad for the front 9.

> The only tour possibly coming my way is that of a local winery.

That's the WORST possible introduction anyone can ever give....LMAO.

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

PXG Gen 5, 0311T 6-AW, 0311P 4-5

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

My neighbor is a well-meaning idiot.

Last year, he started a discussion about his son's potential in professional golf. They had a driver fitting at Dick's Sporting Goods, and left convinced that his son had a shot at the Tour. He wanted to get lessons for him, and reasoned that, based on the fitting results, he had the distance to compete. "Who knows, he could qualify for a few Web events (now Korn Ferry), and maybe win one. If he gets hot enough, might make it to the big show." Kid has never broken 80. Playing on a 5800 yard course. I torture him every time we play. I can't help it. I'm not worth a darn, and if I can beat you easily...I feel like it's my job to be the voice of truth in the matter.

Srixon Z785 
Cleveland Classic XL 14*, Black Tie X
Srixon Z945 3-PW, Project X 6.5
Cleveland RTX 3 52*, 56* 60*, Dynamic Gold 
Odyssey Sabretooth Backstryke w/Flat Cat 

Happened to me when I shot 70 (-2) at the New Course at Grand Cypress in Orlando. It's a wide open track and I played well. The course probably played 6500 yards that day. I told the guy a struggling tour pro on the web.com tour would have been upset with a 65 from 1000 yards further back.

I have a buddy who is a +4 at our club. He gets it ALL THE TIME. Although his +4 is shooting a 71 at our 75-rated course. Most folks just don't understand a tour pro is probably the equivalent of a +12 handicap.

Driver: PING G425 7.5*; X-stiff HZRDUS BLACK 75g

Driving Iron: TITLEIST U505 1i; X-stiff HZRDUS Smoke RDX 90g 

Irons: PING i210 3-4, PING BLUEPRINT 5-W; Dynamic Gold X7

Wedges: CLEVELAND RTX4 50, 54, 58; S400

Putter: ODYSSEY WHITE HOT #7 OG

Ball: BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Grip: WINN Dri Tac Midsize

GHIN: Between my ears... (usually between 1-3)

I love when I get this comment. Im a single digit handicap and I get to play a round or two with a buddy of mine who doesnt play as often as I do but probably got me into the game as he got me my job at a a golf shop when I was a senior in high school. I hit the ball pretty consistently and more often than not, I will hit a decent drive of about 290 or more. The twosome we are paired up with will make a comment asking if I play for a college or if I have aspirations of playing on tour. I always give this blank stare at my buddy and he knows I am laughing inside with my hidden modesty. Haaaa haaaaa. Too funny. As far as a reality check of my own game. I played with an aspiring mini golf player who was a decent college player around my area and the game is different. There is a really good golfer like i consider my self to be in the eyes of your novice player then there are the tour caliber players who I look up to. I know the difference so I keep my game to myself and be happy with what I can do.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

All I can say is that a fast swing and low stroke average made it tough to get a date in college, never got mistaken for a pro

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

back when i was a + 1 , i would get that all the time..then they will see me chip/pitch and never say that again

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

> @Edward_Majorwin said:

> No tour comments coming my way but just last weekend one of my buds intros me to a new guy in our group and says "this guy (me) will kill us today" and I then proceed to chunk my 4i off the opening tee and generally play pretty bad for the front 9.

> The only tour possibly coming my way is that of a local winery.

Great handle and pic. To funny.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4