Elbow Tendonitis.....suggestions needed

0u812

Long time reader, fist time posting. I am 46 years old and the past two years I have really struggled with tendonitis. Don’t laugh, but my current irons are Callaway Big Bertha Irons 2004 with Project X Rifle Flighted shafts (5.5). I love these irons as they just go straight, however, the irons......along with my age are wrecking havoc on my elbows. I played two rounds on a trip to Mexico and my elbows are a wreck. I don’t really notice this when I play, but I really notice it a few days after. I am currently in the market for a new set of irons and I am trying to find something that is a bit more forgiving to my body. Is it time for graphite or is there another steel iron shaft that is more forgiving?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had some issues a couple of years back and bought a set of irons shafted with Recoils. Seemed to help the elbow, went back to my C Tapers after things settled down.

Ping G425 LST 9 Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec
Ping G425 LST 3 wood KBS TD Cat 4 
G 410 17 Hybrid KBS Proto 75X
PXG Gen2 0311T MMT 80
Vokey SM6 48F-50F-58L
Lajosi DD201

RTC/scapular stabilizer and elbow strengthening exercises..

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

I did do some elbow exercises which seemed to help. Been ok for a couple of years now but I still have the recoil irons sitting in the garage just in case.

Ping G425 LST 9 Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec
Ping G425 LST 3 wood KBS TD Cat 4 
G 410 17 Hybrid KBS Proto 75X
PXG Gen2 0311T MMT 80
Vokey SM6 48F-50F-58L
Lajosi DD201

In the short term: get a theraband and give the exercises a try. You can youtube the movements for golfers, it really helped me when I had recurring tennis elbow.

In the long term: get graphite shafts. Since I switched to Steelfibers my elbow tendinitis has basically gone away. If I ever get sore from overuse, I use the theraband and it's fine.

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

I switched to Steelfibers and do theraband exercises. What made the biggest difference was PRP injections. Two rounds of cortisone helped but that was only temporary.

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 54° D, 60° T, KBS TGI 95s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

I would go to a PT and have them give you exercises specific for the issue rather than googling exercises online. I'm a PT and see people do that all the time and 99% of what they are doing is incorrect or could be done much better. You could probably get away with 1 PT visit and they can give you a long term HEP unless they feel you need more visits to address the various issues they might find. The other issue is your swing and what you're doing to cause it to continue to aggravate your elbow but I'd definitely recommend PT initially. Graphite will definitely put less stress on your body there is no doubt about that if you are willing to make that change, but still might give you issues.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

> @jas904 said:

> I switched to Steelfibers and do theraband exercises. What made the biggest difference was PRP injections. Two rounds of cortisone helped but that was only temporary.

I contacted a friend of mine today who plays Srixon 765 with Steelfibers (believe they were i95 stiff). I went out this evening and hit them. Wow they felt great.

1. Ice, rest (time off from golf), and Theraband flex bar exercises religiously.

2. Improve your swing. Too steep, flippy, bad grip, arms swinging very independently v. in-sync and supported by body all can contribute to tendinitis.

3. Check with your Dr. about a prescription. Meloxicam has helped me with elbows and other sore/arthritic joints.

4. Graphite shafts do help. I switched to Recoil 110s and used them for 3 years. I'm now in Modus 105 x since recovering with no problems. In my experience Project X and C-Tapers are particularly harsh and really tend to aggravate tendinitis.

5. Cortisone injections can jump-start your recovery, but if you want the effects to last you need to follow through with the above. (I've not had PRP or stem cell, but those treatments do look promising.)

6. I tried acupuncture, but got absolutely no relief from it whatsoever even though I was very hopeful and optimistic that it would help.

Good luck!

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I started getting the same thing, chiropractor said it was tennis elbow from golf. No relief yet, but changing to slightly softer, bigger grips. Also saw a Theraband Flex bar to do a physical therapy exercise called a Tyler Twist...will try that.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

> @dpb5031 said:

> 1. Ice, rest (time off from golf), and Theraband flex bar exercises religiously.

> 2. Improve your swing. Too steep, flippy, bad grip, arms swinging very independently v. in-sync and supported by body all can contribute to tendinitis.

> 3. Check with your Dr. about a prescription. Meloxicam has helped me with elbows and other sore/arthritic joints.

> 4. Graphite shafts do help. I switched to Recoil 110s and used them for 3 years. I'm now in Modus 105 x since recovering with no problems. In my experience Project X and C-Tapers are particularly harsh and really tend to aggravate tendinitis.

> 5. Cortisone injections can jump-start your recovery, but if you want the effects to last you need to follow through with the above. (I've not had PRP or stem cell, but those treatments do look promising.)

> 6. I tried acupuncture, but got absolutely no relief from it whatsoever even though I was very hopeful and optimistic that it would help.

>

> Good luck!

Agree with all but the theraband flex bar. I suffered for over a year with bad tennis elbow and the thing that helped the most of a cortisone injection and rest. Theraband actually made my situation worse because it wasn't healed enough to begin using it. I also tried dry needling which was useless in my case. PRP isn't covered by insurance (of course) but i heard it works well.

Also another piece of advice is change the habits that created the issue. If it's golf, you need to change the swing a bit and use the body to square the club face. I'm much more prone to asking for help rather than try to lift something myself now. And when i lift things I make sure to have my palm facing me when I lift so it uses the bicep not the forearm

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

> @0u812 said:

> > @jas904 said:

> > I switched to Steelfibers and do theraband exercises. What made the biggest difference was PRP injections. Two rounds of cortisone helped but that was only temporary.

>

> I contacted a friend of mine today who plays Srixon 765 with Steelfibers (believe they were i95 stiff). I went out this evening and hit them. Wow they felt great.

>

I agree. Srixon irons are the hidden gem of the golf industry.

> @J13 said:

> > @dpb5031 said:

> > 1. Ice, rest (time off from golf), and Theraband flex bar exercises religiously.

> > 2. Improve your swing. Too steep, flippy, bad grip, arms swinging very independently v. in-sync and supported by body all can contribute to tendinitis.

> > 3. Check with your Dr. about a prescription. Meloxicam has helped me with elbows and other sore/arthritic joints.

> > 4. Graphite shafts do help. I switched to Recoil 110s and used them for 3 years. I'm now in Modus 105 x since recovering with no problems. In my experience Project X and C-Tapers are particularly harsh and really tend to aggravate tendinitis.

> > 5. Cortisone injections can jump-start your recovery, but if you want the effects to last you need to follow through with the above. (I've not had PRP or stem cell, but those treatments do look promising.)

> > 6. I tried acupuncture, but got absolutely no relief from it whatsoever even though I was very hopeful and optimistic that it would help.

> >

> > Good luck!

>

> Agree with all but the theraband flex bar. I suffered for over a year with bad tennis elbow and the thing that helped the most of a cortisone injection and rest. Theraband actually made my situation worse because it wasn't healed enough to begin using it. I also tried dry needling which was useless in my case. PRP isn't covered by insurance (of course) but i heard it works well.

>

> Also another piece of advice is change the habits that created the issue. If it's golf, you need to change the swing a bit and use the body to square the club face. I'm much more prone to asking for help rather than try to lift something myself now. And when i lift things I make sure to have my palm facing me when I lift so it uses the bicep not the forearm

You are absolutely correct about PRP not being covered by insurance, well mine at least. I paid out of pocket and my results were terrific.

> @jas904 said:

> > @0u812 said:

> > > @jas904 said:

> > > I switched to Steelfibers and do theraband exercises. What made the biggest difference was PRP injections. Two rounds of cortisone helped but that was only temporary.

> >

> > I contacted a friend of mine today who plays Srixon 765 with Steelfibers (believe they were i95 stiff). I went out this evening and hit them. Wow they felt great.

> >

>

> I agree. Srixon irons are the hidden gem of the golf industry.

>

> > @J13 said:

> > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > 1. Ice, rest (time off from golf), and Theraband flex bar exercises religiously.

> > > 2. Improve your swing. Too steep, flippy, bad grip, arms swinging very independently v. in-sync and supported by body all can contribute to tendinitis.

> > > 3. Check with your Dr. about a prescription. Meloxicam has helped me with elbows and other sore/arthritic joints.

> > > 4. Graphite shafts do help. I switched to Recoil 110s and used them for 3 years. I'm now in Modus 105 x since recovering with no problems. In my experience Project X and C-Tapers are particularly harsh and really tend to aggravate tendinitis.

> > > 5. Cortisone injections can jump-start your recovery, but if you want the effects to last you need to follow through with the above. (I've not had PRP or stem cell, but those treatments do look promising.)

> > > 6. I tried acupuncture, but got absolutely no relief from it whatsoever even though I was very hopeful and optimistic that it would help.

> > >

> > > Good luck!

> >

> > Agree with all but the theraband flex bar. I suffered for over a year with bad tennis elbow and the thing that helped the most of a cortisone injection and rest. Theraband actually made my situation worse because it wasn't healed enough to begin using it. I also tried dry needling which was useless in my case. PRP isn't covered by insurance (of course) but i heard it works well.

> >

> > Also another piece of advice is change the habits that created the issue. If it's golf, you need to change the swing a bit and use the body to square the club face. I'm much more prone to asking for help rather than try to lift something myself now. And when i lift things I make sure to have my palm facing me when I lift so it uses the bicep not the forearm

>

> You are absolutely correct about PRP not being covered by insurance, well mine at least. I paid out of pocket and my results were terrific.

PRP is the most beneficial for Tennis elbow vs having it done for a shoulder or knee. They don't know why but it is. So of course insurance doesn't cover it. How many PRP treatments did you have done?

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Skip the cortizone. My doc told me it would break down the tendon. According to him my elbow is a 7 on the "bad scale"

I got a lot better with a tyler twist bar. It seemed like I was able to break up the scar tissue quickly. That's $15 bucks that could save your elbow. Give it a shot.

Then I got a brace for sleeping for a few weeks. Goofy, but my muscles needed to reset.

I also changed some of of my exercises to avoid making it worse.

I had PRP on the calendar, canceled it and I'm pretty comfortable.

No club ho-ing to fix the problem.

> @TaddNOhio said:

> My friend had elbow problems he thought was from golf .. ended up being from playing on his cell phone too much with the arm bent. Yes there is actually a thing called "cell phone elbow"

This is actually very true. MLB pitcher David Price had something like this affect him.

When my elbow was bad, holding up a cell phone was definitely bad for the tendon.

I had the left elbow problem last year or so, have to wear a sleeve on it to play golf or practice. Doing some minor exercise to strengthen the forearm and squeezing a tennis ball really help. But the reason of my elbow hurting is beacuse of my hand flipping through contact, now I have done a better job to keep my left wrist flat at impact and through the hitting zone. I no longer have the elbow issue and also strike the ball a lot better.

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.
TM Stealth Plus 5W, Hzrdous Smoke Red 5.5

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 7 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

> @J13 said:

> > @jas904 said:

> > > @0u812 said:

> > > > @jas904 said:

> > > > I switched to Steelfibers and do theraband exercises. What made the biggest difference was PRP injections. Two rounds of cortisone helped but that was only temporary.

> > >

> > > I contacted a friend of mine today who plays Srixon 765 with Steelfibers (believe they were i95 stiff). I went out this evening and hit them. Wow they felt great.

> > >

> >

> > I agree. Srixon irons are the hidden gem of the golf industry.

> >

> > > @J13 said:

> > > > @dpb5031 said:

> > > > 1. Ice, rest (time off from golf), and Theraband flex bar exercises religiously.

> > > > 2. Improve your swing. Too steep, flippy, bad grip, arms swinging very independently v. in-sync and supported by body all can contribute to tendinitis.

> > > > 3. Check with your Dr. about a prescription. Meloxicam has helped me with elbows and other sore/arthritic joints.

> > > > 4. Graphite shafts do help. I switched to Recoil 110s and used them for 3 years. I'm now in Modus 105 x since recovering with no problems. In my experience Project X and C-Tapers are particularly harsh and really tend to aggravate tendinitis.

> > > > 5. Cortisone injections can jump-start your recovery, but if you want the effects to last you need to follow through with the above. (I've not had PRP or stem cell, but those treatments do look promising.)

> > > > 6. I tried acupuncture, but got absolutely no relief from it whatsoever even though I was very hopeful and optimistic that it would help.

> > > >

> > > > Good luck!

> > >

> > > Agree with all but the theraband flex bar. I suffered for over a year with bad tennis elbow and the thing that helped the most of a cortisone injection and rest. Theraband actually made my situation worse because it wasn't healed enough to begin using it. I also tried dry needling which was useless in my case. PRP isn't covered by insurance (of course) but i heard it works well.

> > >

> > > Also another piece of advice is change the habits that created the issue. If it's golf, you need to change the swing a bit and use the body to square the club face. I'm much more prone to asking for help rather than try to lift something myself now. And when i lift things I make sure to have my palm facing me when I lift so it uses the bicep not the forearm

> >

> > You are absolutely correct about PRP not being covered by insurance, well mine at least. I paid out of pocket and my results were terrific.

>

> PRP is the most beneficial for Tennis elbow vs having it done for a shoulder or knee. They don't know why but it is. So of course insurance doesn't cover it. How many PRP treatments did you have done?

My guy has said the same thing, apparently elbows respond well to PRP vs other joints. I had two rounds of Angel PRP at $500 per round. 60cc's injected with no numbing or pain meds was quite unpleasant!!

I had the same problem for about 2 years tried everything until I looked up this yoga stretch for your elbows. Did it twice a day for 3 months and it’s been 3 years now and not a single pain.

Look up a YouTube video on it. But basically both palms facing the ground elbows as close together to each other as possible and lay down facing the ground with your elbows in your belly. .

I had tennis elbow about 5 years back from over use with golf. One of those tennis elbow bands, some rest and simple forearm exercises did the trick.

I had tennis elbow again this past winter...not from golf, but from bowling. Trying to spin a 15 lb lane ball caused havoc on my forearm muscles after repetitive weeks. Even after bowling was done, the pain carried over to golf season and my gym workouts. This time, the tennis elbow band, rest, ice, and forearm exercises didn't do the trick.

I ordered the Theraband flexbar which helped a lot, but the pain just wouldn't go away. I finally went to a friend who is a PT. Long story short, my forearm muscles were so tense and overused that the obvious result was that the tendons became inflamed creating the sensation we know as tennis elbow. Because I continued to play golf, softball and volleyball on top of my gym work outs...my forearm muscles never got the rest they needed (nor would they because I'm a stubborn mule). So...the PT provided some light weight exercises which required quite a bit of observation and correction vs. what I thought I was doing right to help the forearm muscles (the reason why some will tell you not to just look up exercises on the internet). She also approved of the Theraband Flexbar based on the rotation of the resistance would help with my issues. Based on some other strength tests, she also provided some shoulder work-outs as she suspected I might be compensating for a slightly weaker right shoulder muscle. Lastly, she administered dry needling (which is a WEIRD sensation) and ultrasound to help the muscles release the tension a little quicker.

My tennis elbow is gone though my forearm muscles still have a little bit of tension...I never seem to let it completely rest (like I said...I'm a stubborn mule).