"Carts due in by 8pm!"

kevina001

I cannot believe people are supporting the course

Here in Canada we have a 7 month season max. We pay the same rates as 12 month members in the USA. Big bucks IMO

If I want to play till 9:30pm then the course can pay to have one employee stay ($15/hr) to put the last carts away. Have the back shop kids clean the four straggler carts the next morning if need be

It's a SERVICE industry for crying out loud

Mgmt is always trying to save a few bucks at the expense of members, nickel and diming sends members elsewhere

• Like 4

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

The cart rules have a lot to do with staffing and scheduling and sound operations plans. The semi-private club where I play has a stable and fairly well-trained work crew, and is fairly liberal about how late you can keep the carts out.

One thing they do is close the range and pro shop about 7 PM, so the guys can do the final ball pick-up before it's too dark. Then, one or two guys will stay back to take in the final carts. What helps the kids is that the late finishers will throw away all the trash in their carts so the kids just have to rinse the carts and park them on the chargers.

A couple of years ago the staff was shorthanded, and I had a cart guy yell at me for being inconsiderate and keeping the cart out until dark. Hey, he made up the rule on the spot, I had no warning. I didn't complain to management, but I never saw him again after that day.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

> @Roody said:

> > @a_crook said:

> > > @Roody said:

> > > Why should the pro shop staff have to wait around all evening for you to bring the cart in whenever you please?

> > Uh, because it's your job and you're in a service industry?

> > That's part of the job. Golfers want to play as long as they can, and should be able to. Grow the game.

> >

> >

> If you don't set a policy, it becomes open-ended and people will abuse it. This place set a policy. Being a good customer means knowing the policy and following it.

>

> Don't like it? Show them your displeasure, and take your money elsewhere.

>

>

>

>

Agreed. A sale is a 2-way transaction. Management sets policy.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one, or few.

What's next keeping the pool open until midnight?

> @Ferguson said:

> What's next keeping the pool open until midnight?

At the public courses where I learned to play, in summer tee times started at 7:30am. I'd get the first tee time of the day and they didn't mind if I showed up to walk a brisk nine holes at 6:30, then checked in when the pro shop opened (and play another 18).

I'm trying to imagine them doing that now. Some guy would show up online incensed that the course refused to have a cart out waiting for him at 6:30am!

> @tocino said:

> As long as the policy is posted somewhere or the proshop tells you about it before you purchase a round then I have no issues with carts needing to be back at a certain time.

Oh yeah, to add on to my tales of cart boy woes: it was ALWAYS communicated in the pro shop that carts needed to be in by a certain time. And our ranger would make it known as well. And then I would tell them when I handed over the keys. Of course, that didn't stop people from pleading ignorance.

I totally understand that people just want to enjoy the game and all, but you have to understand that there are human beings on the other end of things.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Bettinardi BB-1W

> @jli2636 said:

> > @cval said:

> > > @Roody said:

> > > Why should the pro shop staff have to wait around all evening for you to bring the cart in whenever you please?

> >

> > Because it is their job?

>

> Are you willing to pay more to the course to cover the overhead of the employees having to stay longer than budgeted for?

>

Would you rather lose out on the extra green fees? If I can gain a new customer or get more revenue out of the customer the cost of round should cover this. This type of thinking is how companies go out of business. Penny wise dollar foolish.

All we hear about is the game is shrinking, no money etc etc. Instead of limiting evening golf should consider lighting your 18 hole and adding 1hr to your time tables. Trust me that would influence a few more tee times during the most pleasurable summer hours. A few more tee times adds up over an entire season. More happy customers in a service industry, brilliant! The irony is courses have no issue booking double tees in the morning. Then I wait at the turn for the backup. BB

• Like 1

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

> @MaineMariner said:

> Let me give you the perspective of a former cart boy:

>

> Policies like this exist because literally every single day there is someone or some group who refuses to come in when it's too dark to play. "Too dark" is, of course, subjective, and people are CONSTANTLY stretching to play for as long as humanly possible. We'd have people out on the course at 9:15 claiming that they're almost done, just one more hole, etc. The course would always end up paying for two employees to hang out for an hour plus with nothing to do but wait around for this person to bring his cart in. Courses don't typically like to have to pay employees extra time to hang out and do nothing. After the cart comes in, an employee has to clean it out, hose it down, put it with the other carts, lock up the corral or barn or whatever is used for the carts, then go back in to punch out. The other employee would be off collecting the pins. You now have employees who started their day at 1 pm clocking out at 9:00, 9:30, 9:45. Nobody wants this.

I'm a former cart boy too. Who cares? I was paid by the hour, had other stuff to do ANYWAY, and stay well past dark. An extra couple of carts doesn't affect me one way or another. If they want carts in an hour before dark, that's nonsense. I've never run across this before at a course, and if I did I would certainly make sure it was the last time I ever played there.

• Like 2

> @"Big Ben" said:

> All we hear about is the game is shrinking, no money etc etc. Instead of limiting evening golf should consider lighting your 18 hole and adding 1hr to your time tables. Trust me that would influence a few more tee times during the most pleasurable summer hours. A few more tee times adds up over an entire season. More happy customers in a service industry, brilliant! BB

Increasing post typical work hours golf course availability and convenience during summertime when the sun goes down past 8pm? Now how would that get more people out on the course? There’s an executive course here that lights up at night and it does pretty well

Truly there is nothing, NOTHING that will get a typical USA golfer off the cart and onto his feet. Not even a leisurely twilight round when the course is quiet and the carts have all been put away.

Sigh.

Who ever knew a game that started out being all about walking along hitting a ball with a stick would advance to the point where every golfer feels he has the right to demand a motorized cart to carry him every hole, any time of day or night, no matter the weather? Such is progress.

• Like 1

The same people that complain about this rule would also complain about having to pay a full greens fee after 3pm.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

The course I worked at in high school split the difference nicely I thought - carts went out up until twilight, which started between 6-7, depending on the time of year, and then Twilight was walking only - play as much as you want. That got all carts in about 1/2 hour before it was dark and left enough time to get things cleaned up and wait for the walkers to get off the course before locking up.

I am disappointed in how few people walk now. I bought an old school Jones carry bag to walk whenever I can this summer, but with my regular group, who feel the need to constantly balance beer, cigars, and their speaker, it's a non-starter.

There are many courses that don't allow walking. There are also many courses that just aren't conducive to walking. Poor routing with quarter to half mile treks between holes, etc. I do walk whenever I can. But if I choose to ride, and maybe have a few cold ones during my round (also not conducive to walking), then I think a course with a half decent sense of customer service will allow me to play until it gets dark. And if I'm on a golf vacation, and I want to do an afternoon replay, I don't think I should have to worry about not getting my round in because the course wants to close up shop 3 hours before it gets dark. If you are on the golf course's side in this, then I would guess you also root for the house to win at blackjack.

• Like 1

> @kevina001 said:

> There are many courses that don't allow walking. There are also many courses that just aren't conducive to walking. Poor routing with quarter to half mile treks between holes, etc. I do walk whenever I can. But if I choose to ride, and maybe have a few cold ones during my round (also not conducive to walking), then I think a course with a half decent sense of customer service will allow me to play until it gets dark. And if I'm on a golf vacation, and I want to do an afternoon replay, I don't think I should have to worry about not getting my round in because the course wants to close up shop 3 hours before it gets dark. If you are on the golf course's side in this, then I would guess you also root for the house to win at blackjack.

Where does it not get dark until 11pm?

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

> @"North Butte" said:

> Truly there is nothing, NOTHING that will get a typical USA golfer off the cart and onto his feet. Not even a leisurely twilight round when the course is quiet and the carts have all been put away.

>

> Sigh.

>

> Who ever knew a game that started out being all about walking along hitting a ball with a stick would advance to the point where every golfer feels he has the right to demand a motorized cart to carry him every hole, any time of day or night, no matter the weather? Such is progress.

I think this a terrible stereotype. If carts where allowed in other golf destinations around the world trust they would be used. Most club members in the US walk many rounds per year. However many of the successful modern muni’s are routed in and out of developments making walking very difficult. Anyway, if a paying customer chooses to take a cart and have a few “pints” then so be it. Thank God we aren’t wearing wool suites and playing balls made of tree saps either. Progress indeed!

> @a_crook said:

> > @Roody said:

> > Why should the pro shop staff have to wait around all evening for you to bring the cart in whenever you please?

> Uh, because it's your job and you're in a service industry?

> That's part of the job. Golfers want to play as long as they can, and should be able to. Grow the game.

>

>

That sort of response makes me see red.

Being in the 'service industry' does not grant people the right to treat you poorly. Regardless of the club policy/rules issue, just because you pay for something does not grant you the right to abuse the staff. While 'abuse' is a strong word, taking someone else's time because of your own selfishness and disregard for rules is unacceptable. They have lives and schedules like anyone else.

That type of thinking is behind people abusing waiters because "its' their job to take abuse". Do you show up at a restaurant and expect service 10 minutes before the kitchen closes?

I am not disputing whether the club's rule is right or wrong. I dispute the attitude that it is ok to abuse someone else's time just because they are in the 'service industry'.

• Like 3

> @jli2636 said:

> > @cval said:

> > > @Roody said:

> >

> > Because it is their job?

>

> Are you willing to pay more to the course to cover the overhead of the employees having to stay longer than budgeted for?

>

Then don’t offer twilight rates to get people out later and/or don’t let people tee off after a certain time.

• Like 2

Course here has a better policy IMO. They don't issue carts out after a certain time in the evening. I am not sure of the exact time as I don't take a cart, I walk, I am of able body.

So my answer would be, don't issue a cart out after 4:00 pm and enforce a 4 hour pace of play using rangers and timing clocks. (Another course has clocks located at tees every 2-3 holes that if you are on the correct pace of play will match the time you teed off on number 1. Cheap, and from my experience playing the course, an effective way to keep pace of play.)

One thing my local course did that I do not care for is they moved the range balls inside the pro shop. Used to there was a token operated machine that dispensed them. I could buy extra tokens in the pro-shop and use the range early or late after the shop had closed. If it was open i usually always ducked my head inside the shop to ensure the range was open. It was not uncommon to close the range after a certain time one day per week to pick the range to prepare for it to be mowed early the next day or to close it if it was too wet and balls were plugging. I made sure if I was the last one on the range to straighten up the bag stands and put the range buckets stacked where the cart guy or ranger could pick them up without getting out of the cart.

My mantra is try and leave stuff better and do stuff when I am at the course so the course employees don't have to. The less time they spend straightening up the range or fixing ball marks or picking up trash the more time they can spend mowing, raking bunkers, etc., things that actually impact how the course is to play.

> @Roody said:

> Why should the pro shop staff have to wait around all evening for you to bring the cart in whenever you please?

Did they charge full price for the cart, if so why can’t I play my whole round

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

> @jerebear21 said:

> Folks have lives including workers.

>

> If you plan to play late buy a pull cart. Problems solved. You are not entitled to anything.

Silly him paying to ride for 18 holes and thinking he’s entitled to do that.....the nerve of people

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

> @Murphy76 said:

> > @a_crook said:

> > > @Roody said:

> > Uh, because it's your job and you're in a service industry?

> > That's part of the job. Golfers want to play as long as they can, and should be able to. Grow the game.

> >

> >

>

> That sort of response makes me see red.

>

> Being in the 'service industry' does not grant people the right to treat you poorly. Regardless of the club policy/rules issue, just because you pay for something does not grant you the right to abuse the staff. While 'abuse' is a strong word, taking someone else's time because of your own selfishness and disregard for rules is unacceptable. They have lives and schedules like anyone else.

>

> That type of thinking is behind people abusing waiters because "its' their job to take abuse". Do you show up at a restaurant and expect service 10 minutes before the kitchen closes?

>

> I am not disputing whether the club's rule is right or wrong. I dispute the attitude that it is ok to abuse someone else's time just because they are in the 'service industry'.

No one said anything about abusing anyone. No one is advocating treating anyone poorly. The point was that management ought to understand that summertime means late play and schedule workers accordingly. That’s it.

• Like 2

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

It’s called twilight rate for a reason. (Mind blown isn’t it)

> @"Carl Spackler3" said:

> > @jerebear21 said:

> > Folks have lives including workers.

> >

> > If you plan to play late buy a pull cart. Problems solved. You are not entitled to anything.

>

>

> Silly him paying to ride for 18 holes and thinking he’s entitled to do that.....the nerve of people

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

All the courses I've every played over the years allowed the carts to stay out until the golfers that paid for them either finished the round, or stopped playing due to darkness. There was never a question about having the carts back by a certain time - it was always determined by whether you could still see well enough to play golf.

I don’t recall anyone saying anything about treating the staff with disrespect. That’s a step to far I’m sure we would all agree. Being able to play until dusk however during season seems a simple request. I’m sure the guy who also works hard but can’t make it to the course until 3:30-4 would be appreciative. Maybe he brings his friends! I’m pretty sure there’s a night owl or two employed by the course who doesn’t mind a few extra hours of sleep in the morning.