2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Matt Wallace and caddy

manxytag

It's not a good look for Wallace, but there may be a lot more going on here. His caddie is probably used to it and understands it's a part of the job for this player. I'm not saying it's productive, but it obviously isn't a new thing.

I once attended a tennis match where Tommy Haas laid into his coach "Red" at every opportunity for two straight hours. We were sitting right next to the coach, so we got an earful when Tommy was on our side of the court. It was hilarious. Apparently, the coach had instructed Tommy to direct his frustration at him personally rather than in other, presumably more destructive, directions. The funny thing is it worked and Tommy made it all the way to the final that week.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9* / Ventus TR 5-S
Callaway Rogue 14* / Tour Blue 75-S

Callaway Rogue SZ 18* / Thump 75f-S

PXG Gen2 22* / Fuji Pro 73-S
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-P / Modus 120-S 
PXG Sugar Daddy II 53*/58*

Odyssey Versa 1W

> @Boognish said:

> It's not a good look for Wallace, but there may be a lot more going on here. His caddie is probably used to it and understands it's a part of the job for this player. I'm not saying it's productive, but it obviously isn't a new thing.

>

> I once attended a tennis match where Tommy Haas laid into his coach "Red" at every opportunity for two straight hours. We were sitting right next to the coach, so we got an earful when Tommy was on our side of the court. It was hilarious. Apparently, the coach had instructed Tommy to direct his frustration at him personally rather than in other, presumably more destructive, directions. The funny thing is it worked and Tommy made it all the way to the final that week.

I'm trying to imagine John McEnroe, Serena Williams, Jimmy Conners and Ilie Nastase with a caddie. *shudder*

> @payerasjl said:

> To be fair, he did act like a petulant lil fella, but its impossible to judge the circumstances. I dont care very much about bitching someone out, but what really bothers me here is the physical intimidation and his approach towards the looper. Its one thing to cry about a "bad break" like J.Spieth does, but getting into the loopers personal space, looking down on him in a menacing way is absolute BS.

Yes. Very distinct difference there.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @cardoustie said:

> > @buckeyefl said:

> > Your size scares women? Passive brag? lol just messing but controlled rage is the best for golf. Of course the trick is finding that line but when you do it can be quite useful.

>

> Sorry I need to back up my buddy @bladehunter here.

> As a 6'2" guy at 265 ... he is right. I've actually been told by women that my size intimidates them. Women I know and strangers

lol. I knew I couldn’t be the only one.

Also. I once had an employee accuse me of designing my shop for “ a race of giants “. He’s not wrong. I built the work tables , cabinets , etc and all are comfortable for me. I also have a shower in the house that if points anywhere but straight down it fires right over my wife’s head. Lol. Yes. I built it that way too. I’ve ducked down to wash my hair all my life. No more damn it !!!! Lol

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I'm a big Wallace fan. One of my friends went to the same college as him and told me to keep an eye out on him and the progression he has made the last 2-3 years has been incredible. That said, his behaviour does leave a lot to be desired of at times. I am sure that he himself realises it, his thoughts after the British Masters would seem to confirm that. It's all a learning process.

Looking at it from a slightly different perspective though, the first thing that I thought of when I saw the images was what was known as the Sir Alex Ferguson hairdryer treatment. He was renowned for losing his cool and that he did became stuff of legend. I am sure that he mellowed as he got older but it's all but certain that his behaviour went above and beyond what was called for on occasion. Wallace's did here but surely he will learn from it.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

> @bladehunter said:

> > @Bluefan75 said:

> > I think people need to be reset as to what is "passion" and what is d-baggery. Someone on the tennis forum tried to explain that someone who breaks their racquet is not a drama queen, but "has passion." No, they're a drama queen. Same with this. Even though the caddie is essentially a servant, does not give one the right to treat them as though they are beneath them.

> >

> > Had Wallace grown up playing a more head-to-head sport, I suspect there wouldn't have been a second time for an outburst like this, since the butt-kicking he got after the first time would have taught him a lesson. I know we're supposed to be more enlightened, above violence and all that psychobabble, but a right cross to the jaw would have straightened Wallace out in heartbeat.

> >

> > (Yes that would have brought other issues into play, for the caddie-although a case could almost be made for provocation- but still, Wallace wouldn't do it again I would be willing to wager.)

>

> Serious question. Not an argument. A question. I’m genuinely curious of other folks thoughts.

> So anyone answer.

>

> To the points you made. When in that type competition situation where failure comes. Do you feel the urge to react ,break a club/racket , explode , or any other thing that you’d see as a negative ? Or do you just not have that urge ? I’m curious if most people have the urge and control it , or are most devoid of that urge ?

I get mad, but never to the point of breaking equipment. The thought has occurred a couple times to throw something, but it dissipates pretty quickly. Look how bad a professional who does it for a living can make themselves look, how would I look?

I don't think a person is human if they never get mad. But this isn't life and death(even as a professional athlete). If you can't control it, that is an issue. I think the media couch it because, hey, it always makes for good TV to see a guy melt down. But seriously, it shows you're a drama queen, IMHO.

There are a number of golfers I have absolutely no use for and number #1 on the list is one Jordan Speith. He is always talking, talking, whining, whinning. And blaming his caddie as recently demonstrated by his outburst where he yelled at Michael, two perfect shots, Michael, two perfect shots, implying that he got the yardage wrong.

So why is he not getting roasted over social media?

Number #2 is A tie between Sergio and Bubba Watson, both complete head cases who love to blame their caddies for everything.

So is mister Wallace on my list, not yet but he could be.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

> @johnnythunders said:

> There are a number of golfers I have absolutely no use for and number #1 on the list is one Jordan Speith. He is always talking, talking, whining, whinning. And blaming his caddie as recently demonstrated by his outburst where he yelled at Michael, two perfect shots, Michael, two perfect shots, implying that he got the yardage wrong.

>

> So why is he not getting roasted over social media?

>

> Number #2 is A tie between Sergio and Bubba Watson, both complete head cases who love to blame their caddies for everything.

>

> So is mister Wallace on my list, not yet but he could be.

Jordan talks to himself. It's a technique he learned from Dr. Marty Seldman, a pioneer in the craft of self-talk.

"You can make this shot, Jordan."

or

"This is a big carry, Jordan."

See the difference?

> @johnnythunders said:

> There are a number of golfers I have absolutely no use for and number #1 on the list is one Jordan Speith. He is always talking, talking, whining, whinning. And blaming his caddie as recently demonstrated by his outburst where he yelled at Michael, two perfect shots, Michael, two perfect shots, implying that he got the yardage wrong.

>

>

> Number #2 is A tie between Sergio and Bubba Watson, both complete head cases who love to blame their caddies for everything.

>

There's a big difference in how Speith went about that too. It was, to me and, as I mentioned in a different thread, my buddy who caddied for a US Open winner more of a way to blow off some steam from hitting shots that didn't get the result that were expected when you had good numbers and what you believed to be the correct club for that number. In the case of Matt Wallace, it was a physical intimidation and a yelling directly at the caddie, placing nothing but blame on him, regardless of the fact that he was the one who hit the shot. That's the biggest difference between the two, for me.

> @johnnythunders said:

>

>

>

Lol. What spieth said and did compared to this is apples vs grapes. Seedless grapes. He never yelled at anyone. He didn’t stand over anyone. He just said “ 2 perfect shots micheal .. 2 perfect shots “. And you know what. They were. Two middled shots that got bad breaks. I’d have to hear michaels side to know the context. Was it him blaming mike ? Or was it just outward dialogue with himself ? I don’t think anyone knows. But it was not what Wallace did.

Might want to rethink that list if Wallace isn’t on yet. I thought I liked him as a player watching him come up. But the guy just showed the bully card. He deserved being throat punched. Not just on the list.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @cardoustie said:

> > > @buckeyefl said:

> > > Your size scares women? Passive brag? lol just messing but controlled rage is the best for golf. Of course the trick is finding that line but when you do it can be quite useful.

> >

> > Sorry I need to back up my buddy @bladehunter here.

> > As a 6'2" guy at 265 ... he is right. I've actually been told by women that my size intimidates them. Women I know and strangers

>

>

> lol. I knew I couldn’t be the only one.

>

> Also. I once had an employee accuse me of designing my shop for “ a race of giants “. He’s not wrong. I built the work tables , cabinets , etc and all are comfortable for me. I also have a shower in the house that if points anywhere but straight down it fires right over my wife’s head. Lol. Yes. I built it that way too. I’ve ducked down to wash my hair all my life. No more **** it !!!! Lol

Bill Walton supposedly showed a reporter around his house when it was newly built. The shower had one showerhead up around 7-1/2 feet and another down at normal showerhead height.

He said, "That one is for rinsing the soap off my balls".

• Like 1

I learned a long time ago from my university golf coach to allow yourself to be mad for about 5-10 seconds max,

then laugh it off and try your best on the next shot.

Every shot is a new opportunity. Every player will get bad breaks and hit awful shots. You just need a perspective change ... or a modicum of maturity

You cannot dwell and over react to failures in golf

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @MattyO1984 said:

> I'm a big Wallace fan. One of my friends went to the same college as him and told me to keep an eye out on him and the progression he has made the last 2-3 years has been incredible. That said, his behaviour does leave a lot to be desired of at times. I am sure that he himself realises it, his thoughts after the British Masters would seem to confirm that. It's all a learning process.

>

> Looking at it from a slightly different perspective though, the first thing that I thought of when I saw the images was what was known as the Sir Alex Ferguson hairdryer treatment. He was renowned for losing his cool and that he did became stuff of legend. I am sure that he mellowed as he got older but it's all but certain that his behaviour went above and beyond what was called for on occasion. Wallace's did here but surely he will learn from it.

He hasn't yet even though he admits it's a problem. It's not like we are talking about an 18 year old kid.

I play with a guy who literally laughs off every bad shot. I mean while the ball's still in the air and I might be just starting to ponder my choice of curse words if I'd hit it, he laughs out loud. Usually says something like, "Did you see that?" or "How can that even happen?". At first it seemed a little over the top but you know, he seems to bounce back pretty good from bad shots and I've never seen him get upset. Not the worst self-management strategy in the world.

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @cardoustie said:

> > > > @buckeyefl said:

> > > > Your size scares women? Passive brag? lol just messing but controlled rage is the best for golf. Of course the trick is finding that line but when you do it can be quite useful.

> > >

> > > Sorry I need to back up my buddy @bladehunter here.

> > > As a 6'2" guy at 265 ... he is right. I've actually been told by women that my size intimidates them. Women I know and strangers

> >

> >

> > lol. I knew I couldn’t be the only one.

> >

> > Also. I once had an employee accuse me of designing my shop for “ a race of giants “. He’s not wrong. I built the work tables , cabinets , etc and all are comfortable for me. I also have a shower in the house that if points anywhere but straight down it fires right over my wife’s head. Lol. Yes. I built it that way too. I’ve ducked down to wash my hair all my life. No more **** it !!!! Lol

>

> Bill Walton supposedly showed a reporter around his house when it was newly built. The shower had one showerhead up around 7-1/2 feet and another down at normal showerhead height.

>

> He said, "That one is for rinsing the soap off my balls".

Lol. Holy crap. Wow. I’m not quite that bad.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> > @Boognish said:

> > It's not a good look for Wallace, but there may be a lot more going on here. His caddie is probably used to it and understands it's a part of the job for this player. I'm not saying it's productive, but it obviously isn't a new thing.

> >

> > I once attended a tennis match where Tommy Haas laid into his coach "Red" at every opportunity for two straight hours. We were sitting right next to the coach, so we got an earful when Tommy was on our side of the court. It was hilarious. Apparently, the coach had instructed Tommy to direct his frustration at him personally rather than in other, presumably more destructive, directions. The funny thing is it worked and Tommy made it all the way to the final that week.

>

> I'm trying to imagine John McEnroe, Serena Williams, Jimmy Conners and Ilie Nastase with a caddie. *shudder*

You _Cannot_ be _Serious_!

> @johnnythunders said:

>

>

>

What social media do you follow? Because the ones I follow were absolutely roasting him when he was moaning to Greller.

> @buckeyefl said:

> "The best players in the world don't do that so why should I," wrote Wallace. "That's not who I am and, in that moment, it was just pure passion to win."_

>

Ah yes, the old "that's not who I am" excuse. It's very in vogue these days and is typically used by those who have shown _exactly_ who they are, but hope the world hasn't noticed.

You see the true character of a person when they are dealing with pressure and disappointment, and Wallace has shown his on several occasions this season.

• Like 1

Yes I do but he most people don’t talk out loud like mister motor mouth.

> @Ferguson said:

> > @johnnythunders said:

> > There are a number of golfers I have absolutely no use for and number #1 on the list is one Jordan Speith. He is always talking, talking, whining, whinning. And blaming his caddie as recently demonstrated by his outburst where he yelled at Michael, two perfect shots, Michael, two perfect shots, implying that he got the yardage wrong.

> >

> > So why is he not getting roasted over social media?

> >

> > Number #2 is A tie between Sergio and Bubba Watson, both complete head cases who love to blame their caddies for everything.

> >

> > So is mister Wallace on my list, not yet but he could be.

>

> Jordan talks to himself. It's a technique he learned from Dr. Marty Seldman, a pioneer in the craft of self-talk.

>

> "You can make this shot, Jordan."

> or

> "This is a big carry, Jordan."

>

>

> See the difference?

>

>

>

>

> @Ferguson said:

> > There are a number of golfers I have absolutely no use for and number #1 on the list is one Jordan Speith. He is always talking, talking, whining, whinning. And blaming his caddie as recently demonstrated by his outburst where he yelled at Michael, two perfect shots, Michael, two perfect shots, implying that he got the yardage wrong.

> >

> >

> > Number #2 is A tie between Sergio and Bubba Watson, both complete head cases who love to blame their caddies for everything.

> >

>

> Jordan talks to himself. It's a technique he learned from Dr. Marty Seldman, a pioneer in the craft of self-talk.

>

> or

>

>

> See the difference?

>

>

>

>

> @Ferguson said:

> >

> >

> >

>

>

> or

>

>

> See the difference?

>

>

>

>

> @Ferguson said:

> >

> >

> >

>

>

> or

>

>

> See the difference?

>

>

>

>

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5