2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Watch Enthusiasts

chiguy

> @CEPick said:

> Need some input. One of these two will be my next purchase.

>

> I'm either going to put a strap on my Tag Aquaracer and turn it into my every day watch and buy the Sub or keep the bracelet on my Tag for dressy and go with the Yachtmaster with the blue strap for every day use. In my world, I prefer a tool watch I can wear every day and rarely have a super dressy occasion, the exception rarely for work or a wedding. I work from home and when I travel I usually wear a nice pair of paints and button down maybe with a sport coat.

>

> My concern is the Tag and Sub are so similar in function and look (both black dial/bezel) that I'll just end up wearing the Sub all the time.

>

> I like the Yachtmaster and the red hands and lettering. It is killer on the blue strap and not the same ole Roli everyone buys.

>

> Thoughts?

>

> tzrk4hmaqnd3.png

>

>

>

> uvud3fe0u9b7.jpg

>

Is the face of that Yachtmaster blue? Also, what kind of strap is that? I am really digging it!

> @vaca22 said:

> > @CEPick said:

> > Need some input. One of these two will be my next purchase.

> >

> > I'm either going to put a strap on my Tag Aquaracer and turn it into my every day watch and buy the Sub or keep the bracelet on my Tag for dressy and go with the Yachtmaster with the blue strap for every day use. In my world, I prefer a tool watch I can wear every day and rarely have a super dressy occasion, the exception rarely for work or a wedding. I work from home and when I travel I usually wear a nice pair of paints and button down maybe with a sport coat.

> >

> > My concern is the Tag and Sub are so similar in function and look (both black dial/bezel) that I'll just end up wearing the Sub all the time.

> >

> > I like the Yachtmaster and the red hands and lettering. It is killer on the blue strap and not the same ole Roli everyone buys.

> >

> > Thoughts?

> >

> > tzrk4hmaqnd3.png

> >

> >

> >

> > uvud3fe0u9b7.jpg

> >

>

> Is the face of that Yachtmaster blue? Also, what kind of strap is that? I am really digging it!

Yes, it's the blue dial on the Yachtmaster. Strap is an Everest band. Sick combination IMO. And probably less than a Sub or equal if bought pre-owned.

lko1cdcgu22g.jpg

• Like 2

Anyone have any opinions of Franck Muller? I am sure they can't be everyone's cup of tea but I like the uniqueness of the dials.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | Aldila Tour Green 75TX

3 Wood: PING G425 LST | Fuji Ventus Black 8X

Driving Iron: Taylormade P790 | Project X 6.5

Irons: PING S55 | Project X 6.5

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 | DG TI S400

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour S CB

> @vaca22 said:

> We gifted my father a Speedmaster with the hesalite crystal, and he mentioned to me this morning that there were a few scratches on it already. There shouldn't be any issue in returning it to the dealer and bringing this to their attention, should there?

This is very common with the hesalite crystal. The material WILL scratch over time. What you need to do is buy some Polywatch, a crystal polisher made for plexiglass crystals. With some working, it will polish anything out of those crystals. Don't spend money or risk not seeing the watch for months by sending it to Omega.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9 degrees - Ventus Blue 5S
Sim Max 3HL 16.5 - Ventus Red 6S

Callaway Apex UW @21 - Ventus Red 7s
Titleist TS2 4H @23 - Ventus blue 8s
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G- Nippon 950GH
Titleist SM8 54, 60
Bettinardi Queen Bee 6 - Stability Shaft

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 - Stability Tour

> @epyon said:

> > @vaca22 said:

> > We gifted my father a Speedmaster with the hesalite crystal, and he mentioned to me this morning that there were a few scratches on it already. There shouldn't be any issue in returning it to the dealer and bringing this to their attention, should there?

>

> This is very common with the hesalite crystal. The material WILL scratch over time. What you need to do is buy some Polywatch, a crystal polisher made for plexiglass crystals. With some working, it will polish anything out of those crystals. Don't spend money or risk not seeing the watch for months by sending it to Omega.

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely get him some of that. I've heard about it before as well.

The dealer had no issues in taking the watch back, since it should have been clean from the start. Omega shipped another one out and it arrived only a few days later, which was really nice.

> @vaca22 said:

> > @epyon said:

> > > @vaca22 said:

> > > We gifted my father a Speedmaster with the hesalite crystal, and he mentioned to me this morning that there were a few scratches on it already. There shouldn't be any issue in returning it to the dealer and bringing this to their attention, should there?

> >

> > This is very common with the hesalite crystal. The material WILL scratch over time. What you need to do is buy some Polywatch, a crystal polisher made for plexiglass crystals. With some working, it will polish anything out of those crystals. Don't spend money or risk not seeing the watch for months by sending it to Omega.

>

> Thanks for the advice, I will definitely get him some of that. I've heard about it before as well.

>

> The dealer had no issues in taking the watch back, since it should have been clean from the start. Omega shipped another one out and it arrived only a few days later, which was really nice.

That is great that they replaced it, but it definitely will happen again in the future. Polywatch, a cotton ball, and some elbow grease, and you will have it looking like new again in no time. I prefer the warm look of the hesalite myself, and it's what the classic had on it.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9 degrees - Ventus Blue 5S
Sim Max 3HL 16.5 - Ventus Red 6S

Callaway Apex UW @21 - Ventus Red 7s
Titleist TS2 4H @23 - Ventus blue 8s
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G- Nippon 950GH
Titleist SM8 54, 60
Bettinardi Queen Bee 6 - Stability Shaft

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 - Stability Tour

• 1 month later...

yh6sgsgvs2k9.jpeg

kdtao0i9sxcc.jpeg

z0d91vtqjl98.jpeg

m7q7bpyxt6jx.jpeg

Finished a mod and finally tracked down the NTH I wanted

• Like 4

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

• 3 weeks later...

3ssual054zg8.jpg

• Like 1

Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

> @Spongeb0b said:

> If you guys had 4-5k for an everyday watch, new or used, and had nothing else in the drawer, what would you buy? Would need to be versatile enough to be paired with a suit or jeans and a t-shirt. I have my thoughts but would like to hear yours.

Id probably get a ceramic Seamaster, Grand Seiko Peacock GMT or GS Diver, or a Tudor BB GMT, maybe a used Rolex Explorer II

Seemore mFGP2 

To be honest I would split that into two $2500 watches :)

Seemore mFGP2 

Breitling is a great choice.

There are some fantastic deals to be had in the used Tudor space also

• Like 1

Seemore mFGP2 

> @Texas1 said:

> Have you seen how much the Rolex Sports Watches have increased on the used market. Holy crap.

>

> I’d also chime in with a Navitimer, great looking watch.

The sport watches (GMT, Submariner, Deep Seadweller, etc) are harder to come by. Most Rolex retailers have no stock in those models. Glad I picked up my GMT almost 8 years ago.

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

> @Spongeb0b said:

> If you guys had 4-5k for an everyday watch, new or used, and had nothing else in the drawer, what would you buy? Would need to be versatile enough to be paired with a suit or jeans and a t-shirt. I have my thoughts but would like to hear yours.

I was in the same spot a year or so ago and I went with a 38mm Speedmaster. Perfect selection for a durable, daily piece with enough style to be recognized but not flashy.

> @"GHIN n Juice" said:

> > @Spongeb0b said:

> > If you guys had 4-5k for an everyday watch, new or used, and had nothing else in the drawer, what would you buy? Would need to be versatile enough to be paired with a suit or jeans and a t-shirt. I have my thoughts but would like to hear yours.

>

> I was in the same spot a year or so ago and I went with a 38mm Speedmaster. Perfect selection for a durable, daily piece with enough style to be recognized but not flashy.

Sport watches make a great all around watch. They look great in a casual setting and look just as good in an elegant setting. Only issue with a watch being an every day watch is that there are sure to be some light scratches that develop over time. But a well cared for watch will keep its appearance up for quite some time.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

• 2 weeks later...

ly9qbb91y1fi.jpg

I drool over dependable, tough, vintage LED watches. I will spend $500 on a real Pulsar P2 if I get rich (that's a lot for a pastor to explain not giving to charity). There are replicas but I'll bet they go bad from humidity or rain etc. Maybe the Fossil, but it's not 100% accurate or appealing.

I have a Trafalgar, a model that's rare. This is the picture from the sale, before I bought it.

For some reason it looks cooler and more Cylon (Battlestar Galactica TOS) in person. It's larger than it looks here. This guy's gargantuan hands make it look like a ladies' watch with the plain leather band:

zggtqu3su4r6.jpg

It's quite a heavy, substantial little chunk of machined metal (but not stupid thick). The vintage Trafalgars are a ridiculous deal in these since they haven't gone viral like Bond's Pulsar P2. A lot of watch for $32 and shipping. It would have been out of my league new. You see Timex's with burned out LED segments but not so much the Pulsars or the Trafalgars either one.

• 2 weeks later...

I have lots of nice watches (nice is a relative term to me not meaning all luxo brands) but this one has been my favorite for a couple years now.

z8wzg31bi0ra.jpeg

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

*IF* anyone cares, there is a seller on eBay drop shipping Marathon shoulderless spring bars factory direct, 4 pair for about $23 shipped. Marathons are about the bestest in that realm for the price. It ain't me, I bought some though.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

> @dan360 said:

> *IF* anyone cares, there is a seller on eBay drop shipping Marathon shoulderless spring bars factory direct, 8 pair for about $23 shipped. Marathons are about the bestest in that realm for the price. It ain't me, I bought some though.

Shoulderless are the best, I usually get mine from ToxicNato......make sure you have drilled lugs though lol

Seemore mFGP2 

> @"PixlPutterman " said:

> > @dan360 said:

> > *IF* anyone cares, there is a seller on eBay drop shipping Marathon shoulderless spring bars factory direct, 4 pair for about $23 shipped. Marathons are about the bestest in that realm for the price. It ain't me, I bought some though.

>

>

> Shoulderless are the best, I usually get mine from ToxicNato......make sure you have drilled lugs though lol

>

True story! lol!

I had to edit. 4 pair, 8 total. My math is not graduate school level sometimes. :)

• Like 1

> @Buckets2 said:

> trying to decide between an air king, date just or sub/gmt. not sure how im supposed to go about deciding this.

I'd put an Explorer I in the mix if you're considering an Air King

Seemore mFGP2 

> @Buckets2 said:

> Any advice for finding a batman, pepsi, or Sub at an AD? Or getting on a list?

There really is not short cut for those unless you REALLY know a guy.

216570 is a great option of a GMT, I love the Polar.

Seemore mFGP2 

> @"PixlPutterman " said:

> > @Buckets2 said:

> > Any advice for finding a batman, pepsi, or Sub at an AD? Or getting on a list?

>

> There really is not short cut for those unless you REALLY know a guy.

> 216570 is a great option of a GMT, I love the Polar.

My problem is that I am military...so not really around long enough to build up that relationship where I'd be one of the first folks they call....and I can't afford as much or as often like those first-call guys either.

I got a sub recently. Paid used what they are new as I couldn’t be arsed waiting, I get bored easily

SUB is such a great watch. I was after the deep sea, previous generation but a lot of dealers stay way clear due to the high influx of extremely good fakes/stolen watches

Guy near me gets subs in regularly, all checked and with warranty

• Like 3

> @Buckets2 said:

> > @"PixlPutterman " said:

> > > @Buckets2 said:

> > > Any advice for finding a batman, pepsi, or Sub at an AD? Or getting on a list?

> >

> > There really is not short cut for those unless you REALLY know a guy.

> > 216570 is a great option of a GMT, I love the Polar.

>

> My problem is that I am military...so not really around long enough to build up that relationship where I'd be one of the first folks they call....and I can't afford as much or as often like those first-call guys either.

Then you gotta pay crazy secondary prices :)

Seemore mFGP2