what club makes the best weapon?

LifeStory

Okay so given that there was a murder last year on the women's minitour that happened while a girl was playing a practice round in the morning by herself...

Say you found yourself in a similar predicament where a crazed individual comes at you while you're in the middle of a relaxing round, what club is your go-to for self defense?

wedge for heft and control? long iron for reach? wood because you couldn't process what was happening and just grabbed whatever your hand landed on 1st?

would the knee jerk reaction be to just drop the clubs and run? would a person even think to grab a club and stand their ground, or would the adrenaline be too high to make such a choice in such a circumstance?

either way, scary hearing these stories.

do golf clubs even make good self defense weapons or would the shafts just snap upon 1st strike 95% of the time?

what would you choose? what would you do?

Belly Blade Putter - Tank Version

Driver:    Taylormade SIM2, Graphite Design ADVR

Fairway: Ping G410 Rogue Silver 110

Hybrid:   Ping G410 KBS Prototype

Irons:      Srixon ZX5 MKii, Accra iCWT115

Wedges: Ping Glide 4.0, 46, 50, 54, 58

Putter:    Kevin Burns

Ball:        Wilson Triad

Pull the pm grind and square off with the f*cker lol

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

The toe of a traditional anser style putter, or any other putter with a fairly blunted edge, will probably by the most effective at delivering effective concentrated force to a variety of places on the body (namely the head), plus its likely the shortest club in the bag which gives you a greater chance of hitting what you're swinging at. Next up would probably be any given shorter iron for similar reasons, 9-irons have been known to do serious damage to tigers, lol. Your driver probably seems appealing but the hollow design will offer less blunt force overall and the shafts are more likely to snap.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Surely it has to be an SGI 5 iron, as then you have a ready made shovel to bury the body afterwards.

Amirite? Ba-doom-tish. Tip your servers folks

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Ha, a couple of us actually talked about the other day. There was a weird guy walking down the beach next to the course so we were trying to figure out what we would do.

My choice was the lob wedge. My theory is that the size of my putter would ordinarily mean that I went for that but then I am having to get the headcover off which saw it fall behind the lobber in the pecking order.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

i'd think a 7 or 8 iron would be the best. A wood is too flimsy and long. The graphite could break easier, longer to swing. etc. I'd defintely avoid graphite shafted clubs. putters are equally bad as i don't think their build quality is as rugged

I think a 7 iron would be it, very maneuverable, you can swing it quickly. steel shafted , still would do a ton of damage.

Like if you have a medieval warrior with a sword and one with one of those maces on a long rope. The guy with the sword just needs to avoid one shot and once he gets in close he's got it won. I'd think you'd go with a shorter club in this case

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

You want a wedge - short shaft and heavy head. Swing with purpose if this is for real, if you swing a wedge at someone and misconnect they could take it from you. I’m serious here as I have been there, if you are in a situation where you have to defend yourself that you think might be for your life - do not hesitate, and do not hold back. The detective I spoke with after an attempted mugging said a lot of people think just showing they will defend themselves is enough, and fall victim to fright when the attacker keeps coming. You have to drop them, then render them unable to continue- short shaft for control, that heavy headed wedge for damage. Use it.

• Like 1

> @golfandfishing said:

> You want a wedge - short shaft and heavy head. Swing with purpose if this is for real, if you swing a wedge at someone and misconnect they could take it from you. I’m serious here as I have been there, if you are in a situation where you have to defend yourself that you think might be for your life - do not hesitate, and do not hold back. The detective I spoke with after an attempted mugging said a lot of people think just showing they will defend themselves is enough, and fall victim to fright when the attacker keeps coming. You have to drop them, then render them unable to continue- short shaft for control, that heavy headed wedge for damage. Use it.

i wish you could elaborate on your personal experience with having to defend yourself :open_mouth: sounds intriguing

Well, I work downtown and went to a ballgame after work, it’s a short walk in a well populated area from our building to Chase Field so there isn't a reason to drive at all. Walking back I saw a homeless guy and I went to the far side of the sidewalk, he came over to stay in my path. I went back to the right and so did he, and now we were very close. I made the last second move to miss him and he reached out and pushed me against a building, as he was saying “I need your wallet” I landed one in his face and gave him two more in the throat. He was gasping for air but still on his feet, and I landed several more to his head and throat. A security guard in a nearby building saw and came out, he peppered the guy and zip tied him. Police came and security guy showed them cct they had of the street. Homeless guy had a knife that he never got out, I never gave him the chance. Defending yourself is like laying up- don’t toy with it, do it. Don’t do just enough to just instigate a fight, finish it. If you are laying up don’t get as close to the water as possible, be serious and lay up. During that 30 seconds I had no intention of letting that guy regain control. If I had pushed him off and tried to run then his knife would have come out. Be serious when defending yourself, attackers aren’t going to drop and run like in the movies.

• Like 2

> @golfandfishing said:

> Well, I work downtown and went to a ballgame after work, it’s a short walk in a well populated area from our building to Chase Field so there isn't a reason to drive at all. Walking back I saw a homeless guy and I went to the far side of the sidewalk, he came over to stay in my path. I went back to the right and so did he, and now we were very close. I made the last second move to miss him and he reached out and pushed me against a building, as he was saying “I need your wallet” I landed one in his face and gave him two more in the throat. He was gasping for air but still on his feet, and I landed several more to his head and throat. A security guard in a nearby building saw and came out, he peppered the guy and zip tied him. Police came and security guy showed them cct they had of the street. Homeless guy had a knife that he never got out, I never gave him the chance. Defending yourself is like laying up- don’t toy with it, do it. Don’t do just enough to just instigate a fight, finish it. If you are laying up don’t get as close to the water as possible, be serious and lay up. During that 30 seconds I had no intention of letting that guy regain control. If I had pushed him off and tried to run then his knife would have come out. Be serious when defending yourself, attackers aren’t going to drop and run like in the movies.

>

>

good lord

that's intense that is

glad you're alright man

thx for sharing & i appreciate the wisdom

A buddy of mine actually had to do this about 5-6 years ago. It was the middle of the night and he woke up to someone breaking into his house. He jumped out of bed, ran to his home office next to his bedroom and grabbed his 7 iron (Said he just grabbed an iron not really picking one.) Ended up beating the **** out of the intruder pretty bad to the tune of multiple broken bones and he wasnt able to escape. The police actually found the outcome kinda funny and told him he did a good job. My buddy didnt think it was too funny at the time and ended up buying a “lead thrower” and new 7 iron. He laughs about it all now. So yea a 7 iron will get the job done if need be.

> @LifeStory said:

> Okay so given that there was a murder last year on the women's minitour that happened while a girl was playing a practice round in the morning by herself...

> Say you found yourself in a similar predicament where a crazed individual comes at you while you're in the middle of a relaxing round, what club is your go-to for self defense?

> wedge for heft and control? long iron for reach? wood because you couldn't process what was happening and just grabbed whatever your hand landed on 1st?

> would the knee jerk reaction be to just drop the clubs and run? would a person even think to grab a club and stand their ground, or would the adrenaline be too high to make such a choice in such a circumstance?

> either way, scary hearing these stories.

> do golf clubs even make good self defense weapons or would the shafts just snap upon 1st strike 95% of the time?

>

> what would you choose? what would you do?

>

> @LifeStory said:

> Okay so given that there was a murder last year on the women's minitour that happened while a girl was playing a practice round in the morning by herself...

> Say you found yourself in a similar predicament where a crazed individual comes at you while you're in the middle of a relaxing round, what club is your go-to for self defense?

> wedge for heft and control? long iron for reach? wood because you couldn't process what was happening and just grabbed whatever your hand landed on 1st?

> would the knee jerk reaction be to just drop the clubs and run? would a person even think to grab a club and stand their ground, or would the adrenaline be too high to make such a choice in such a circumstance?

> either way, scary hearing these stories.

> do golf clubs even make good self defense weapons or would the shafts just snap upon 1st strike 95% of the time?

>

> what would you choose? what would you do?

>

Didn’t happen “on the women’s minitour”, doubt you are really concerned for your safety.

Take any steel shafted iron. Snap the head off the shaft. Stab the assailant through the heart with the pointy bit.

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

> @golfandfishing said:

> Well, I work downtown and went to a ballgame after work, it’s a short walk in a well populated area from our building to Chase Field so there isn't a reason to drive at all. Walking back I saw a homeless guy and I went to the far side of the sidewalk, he came over to stay in my path. I went back to the right and so did he, and now we were very close. I made the last second move to miss him and he reached out and pushed me against a building, as he was saying “I need your wallet” I landed one in his face and gave him two more in the throat. He was gasping for air but still on his feet, and I landed several more to his head and throat. A security guard in a nearby building saw and came out, he peppered the guy and zip tied him. Police came and security guy showed them cct they had of the street. Homeless guy had a knife that he never got out, I never gave him the chance. Defending yourself is like laying up- don’t toy with it, do it. Don’t do just enough to just instigate a fight, finish it. If you are laying up don’t get as close to the water as possible, be serious and lay up. During that 30 seconds I had no intention of letting that guy regain control. If I had pushed him off and tried to run then his knife would have come out. Be serious when defending yourself, attackers aren’t going to drop and run like in the movies.

> I totally agree . . . but I wonder about this situation in Portland or Seattle. The bum would probably end up swarmed by lawyers that would want to sue you and claim the bum was the victim.

>

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G