2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Cobra King forged CB/MB

QuigleyDU

Do they offer the GW in t he CB? Why don't they have the option of a full CB set on the web site?

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

For what it's worth, Jason Dufner plays the King Cobra Forged CB.

WITB details: [golfwrx.com/557726/jason-dufner-witb-2019-pga-championship/](http://www.golfwrx.com/557726/jason-dufner-witb-2019-pga-championship/ "golfwrx.com/557726/jason-dufner-witb-2019-pga-championship/")

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

> @Therealpatgiles said:

> Just ordered a CB 2 iron. Short half an inch. It weights 397 grams with tour velvet and modus 120s. My bone stock Nike vapor pro combo 3 iron was 414grams. Not sure on swingweight but that seems like a big difference to me.

Seems possible with Modus 120, if your Nikes had DG. The 120 stiff are 114g

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @NRJyzr said:

> > @Therealpatgiles said:

> > Just ordered a CB 2 iron. Short half an inch. It weights 397 grams with tour velvet and modus 120s. My bone stock Nike vapor pro combo 3 iron was 414grams. Not sure on swingweight but that seems like a big difference to me.

>

> Seems possible with Modus 120, if your Nikes had DG. The 120 stiff are 114g

It's a true temper. Not hip to those shafts lol. I added a bit of lead tape and it feels much more stable.

I had my first experience with the cb 2 iron today. It's 1 degree weak and half inch short. I had a 482 yard par 5. 265 to sand. Hit the 2 iron to about 240. Then went back for the 2 iron but this one only went 230. 15 yard duff chip and 2 putt saved par. The ball flies off the face. It is very small but I didn't seem to mind.

I have an order in. I decided to go 4-GW all CBs. With the $-taper shaft. I was bouncing back and forth between the $-taper and the C-taper. I just like the feel of the $ better. It’s a slightly higher ball flight and a little less ball speed, but oh well.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

So I received my set today... beautiful irons, probably the most perfect I've have seen in a long time.. The lofts where set off a 46 PW, which I think is standard for cobra.. My gamer set are 919T and playing them off a 47 PW which is 1 degree weak from there factory spec..

Head to Head comparison after 18 holes today..

1. Feel just a bit firmer than the 919T, but all the feed back is there as needed.

2. Ball flight maybe 5 yards higher PW -7i and 7 or so yards in the 6-4i

3. Forgiveness, The cobras take the cake.. I would say 25% more forgiving.. a half a ball off the sweet spot towards the toe or heel results in maybe 4 yard variation..

4. looks, cobra takes the cake.. perfect offset and lines..

hear is the unfortunate part.. the black although **** and compact looking screw with my eyes.. not sure if I need to get that checked out or not.. but for whatever reason the black screws me up.. So I will have to let them go and search my a** off for a chrome set..

> @giogolf said:

> So I received my set today... beautiful irons, probably the most perfect I've have seen in a long time.. The lofts where set off a 46 PW, which I think is standard for cobra.. My gamer set are 919T and playing them off a 47 PW which is 1 degree weak from there factory spec..

> Head to Head comparison after 18 holes today..

> 1. Feel just a bit firmer than the 919T, but all the feed back is there as needed.

> 2. Ball flight maybe 5 yards higher PW -7i and 7 or so yards in the 6-4i

> 3. Forgiveness, The cobras take the cake.. I would say 25% more forgiving.. a half a ball off the sweet spot towards the toe or heel results in maybe 4 yard variation..

> 4. looks, cobra takes the cake.. perfect offset and lines..

>

> hear is the unfortunate part.. the black although **** and compact looking screw with my eyes.. not sure if I need to get that checked out or not.. but for whatever reason the black screws me up.. So I will have to let them go and search my a** off for a chrome set..

Can the black finish be stripped off and the clubs left raw?

> @Hubijerk said:

> > @giogolf said:

> > So I received my set today... beautiful irons, probably the most perfect I've have seen in a long time.. The lofts where set off a 46 PW, which I think is standard for cobra.. My gamer set are 919T and playing them off a 47 PW which is 1 degree weak from there factory spec..

> > Head to Head comparison after 18 holes today..

> > 1. Feel just a bit firmer than the 919T, but all the feed back is there as needed.

> > 2. Ball flight maybe 5 yards higher PW -7i and 7 or so yards in the 6-4i

> > 3. Forgiveness, The cobras take the cake.. I would say 25% more forgiving.. a half a ball off the sweet spot towards the toe or heel results in maybe 4 yard variation..

> > 4. looks, cobra takes the cake.. perfect offset and lines..

> >

> > hear is the unfortunate part.. the black although **** and compact looking screw with my eyes.. not sure if I need to get that checked out or not.. but for whatever reason the black screws me up.. So I will have to let them go and search my a** off for a chrome set..

>

> Can the black finish be stripped off and the clubs left raw?

yes, but these babies are almost new, and I wouldn't want to chance it for resale purpose

My favorite clubs I've ever owned and I've tried many, many sets!

10.5˚ TaylorMade Stealth Plus

18° Titleist TSR2 5 Wood

21° Titleist TSR2 7 Wood

4-PW Titleist T100s Black

50˚ Titleist SM8 Black

54˚ Titleist SM8 Black

60˚ Titleist SM8 Black

Bettinardi Hive 8.0

Bridgestone Tour B-XS

@giogolf ..

Yours are the older version without the extra weight in the sole, but still have the DBM finish.. I don't think you'd be able to strip them as the material itself has the black put into it. They will turn a duller grey perhaps but never will be chrome colored. I've talked with Cobra and they said the 2019 model are only available in black not satin..

> @UNDERPLANE said:

> My flow set came in Saturday. They were ordered + 1/4 but came in standard length according to advertised specs. Not surprised as I have read here that it seems like that is what they do on a regular basis. Has anyone measured theirs?

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/18984171#Comment_18984171

> @cadman88 said:

> @giogolf ..

> Yours are the older version without the extra weight in the sole, but still have the DBM finish.. I don't think you'd be able to strip them as the material itself has the black put into it. They will turn a duller grey perhaps but never will be chrome colored. I've talked with Cobra and they said the 2019 model are only available in black not satin..

Yep, not even gonna try.. i put them up on the BST.. they are to pretty to muck with.. There are a few chrome on the Bay, but mostly CBs.. which after hitting these i would be fine with as they feel almost identical in forgiveness and flight.

> @Hubijerk said:

> I'm curious if anyone has been able to compare the Forged Tour's to the new MB/CB's. I have hit the MB 7 iron and for as small as it looked it certainly didn't feel that way. I havn't had a chance to hit it with my shaft or specs (Modus 130x) but I hit it with a 105 which was close enough for initial feedback. I did notice that sweet spot is more center, I hit 4 or 5 baby fades that felt good but landed 10 yards short of what I would expect and when I looked at the face the strikes were on the heel, I made an adjustment and started finding the center hitting my yardage or slightly farther with a little draw or straight ball.

>

> The Forged Tours are solid, but the 8-pw launch a bit high and honestly I wouldn't mind a bit more spin. The Forged tec's have way too much offset to even consider, I am considering a Tec 4 iron but I would bend it a degree or 2 weak which would lessen that offset a bit, but I'm not even sure I'd need to go with the tec over the 4 CB. Everyone seems to be of the opinion the MB/CB's are more forgiving than you would expect but I havn't seen a comparison to the Forged Tours. Thanks

>

>

I tested the 2017 CBs, Forged Tours and Forged Tec Black before buying a 5-GW set of the CBs and a Forged Tec 4i bent 1* weak. All testing was with a 7i and $ taper 130. If the Forged Tours were going to come in black I think they would've been the ones I got just out of being a little scared of the size of the CBs, but I wanted the DBM finish so took the plunge. Full set of FTB was not an option in my mind; didn't like how the shorter irons looked a little too chunky and not beveled at the top line like Ping & others do.

The Forged Tours seem like they have the sweet spot extended a bit further out toward the toe and a little bit lower than the CBs as you might expect. I probably gave up marginal forgiveness and a higher launch by going with the CBs, but it didn't seem drastically different, and the CBs have surprised me with how forgiving they are - I've had plenty of toe hits where I start begging for the ball to get up only for it to land right at/near the original number I had in my head. Honestly the only thing I would've done differently is just gone 4-GW in the CBs - the FTB is perfectly fine but I don't feel like it's way more forgiving than the CB.

Driver:  TSi3 10* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Fairway: TSi2 14.25* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Hybrid | Utility: TSi2 19* w/ AD IZ 95x | P790 UDI w/ KBS PGI 100

Irons: P7 Combo (790 4i, 770 5-7i, MC 8-p)

Wedges: SM7 52 F, 58 M w/ Modus 125S

Putter:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

> @hartrick11 said:

> > @Hubijerk said:

Honestly the only thing I would've done differently is just gone 4-GW in the CBs - the FTB is perfectly fine but I don't feel like it's way more forgiving than the CB.

>

>

>

I went flow set 3-PW although I just ordered the 3 iron because I was contemplating the FTB for the longest iron of my bag but the offset and sole totally threw me off.

I had to replace my irons so I ordered a 5-GW combo and I'm adding a Forged Tour 4 iron that I have. Hopefully I'll have them this week. As always Cobra has been a pleasure to deal with. Multiple emails back and forth, the build team reaching out regarding build specs and them picking heavier heads to hit target swingweights. I'll post some pics and an update when I get them in my hands.

My bag has this turned over to a majority cobra bag. I have had a cobra utility for a while. I don’t always have it in the bag but I may leave it in permanently now, I have. F9 tour fairway wood, and just ordered 4-pw cobra king pro CB’s. Again, I went back and forth and whether to throw MBs in there, I just figured a little extra however slight it may be forgiveness is not a bad thing. Cobra I think is having a stellar year.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

So I sent in my order Mon. am and emailed Cobra with specs. They had to handpick heads for heavier weights to get the swing weights close. I had them by 10am Friday. Taking into account the 4th of July holiday I'd say that's pretty good. Specs are on point, build is perfect, really beautiful clubs and teh finish is really nice.

I hit some balls on the range and got 18 in today. I still need to work through the set and lock up the distances but I don't see much difference if any from the Forged Tours distance wise, spin wise I'm not sure, I didn't notice anything visibly flight wise but everything held the green as I would expect. The MB/CB flights a bit lower and more penetrating than the Forged Tours. Was pin high most of the day. My miss is typically slightly thin and toey and these irons accommodate that miss well. I really like the thinner sole on the CB/MB's and how they interact with the turf, I can understand how some might find them to dig at times but I like it.

The CB/MB heads are lighter than the Forged Tours, almost the same build of the 7i came in 4g lighter on the CB/MB's and sw was D0 vs. D2 in the FT's (I use midsize MCC+4 grips and went .25" shorter with this set). I thought that might be an issue but it really wasn't, I can feel a difference but it feels good. I may have to add a little weight to the PW and GW but we'll see.

I really like the look of the club and playability wise they play much easier than they would let on. I havn't touched a club in a week and had no problem gaming these right out of the box. There is more help from the Forged Tours for sure, however that comes at the price of really high launch which is magnified in the short irons. I feel like I will be able to score much better in the W-7i with the MB's than with the FT's and the CB in 5 and 6 were plenty forgiving. I gave up no distance that I can tell and may have picked up some in the 8-PW due to better flighting.

I probably would not go full MB though I probably could, I did notice that the 5i and 6i were a bit more draw biased than the MB's but I'm splitting hairs and that could simply be the slightly more offset in the longer irons. These are really great irons, I gamed a set of MP-18 combo's prior to the FT's and I can honestly say I like this set better. The Cobra MB's are more playable and forgiving than the 18's though the MP-18 SC 5 and 6 iron were really really good... I do like having the Forged Tour 4 iron in the bag up top, it's forgiving and has much less offset than the Forged Tec.

vqsxtwm65r6x.jpg

@Hubijerk ...

Great write-up on the Cobra Customer Service.. I've been emailing them back and forth regarding possibly reshafting my set, but now that I have a 3 rounds of 9 holes with them in I will say that my concerns about the KBS $-Taper 120 shafts not being a good fit for me is no longer an issue. They launch nice and high for me and spin is great for me.