Club Corp Course Reviews for Play Away (Formerly Travel) Members

> @oneunderbogey said:

> Any thoughts on University club of Milwaukee (Golf or Food) or Bishops Bay in Madison?

Golf is good, old school course. It used to be called Tripoli Country Club but about 2 years ago the University Club of Milwaukee and Tripoli Country Club merged taking on a new name: University Club Milwaukee Golf & City Club. While the golf club has dining (it's a full service country club)n the city club is actually about 30 minutes away in downtown Milwaukee. It's an historic building and very old club. Food is prety good. The 2nd floor has great views of Lake Michigan, but it is really dated decor. Downstairs has been renovated but obviously lacks the views.

Bishops Bay CC is a fantastic facility all the way around.

> @BirdieRoll said:

> Curious if anyone has played the following WI courses and if you've played them all how you'd rank them:

> Eau Claire, La Crosse, Green Bay, and Greenwood Hills (Wausau)

> Thanks in advance.

1) Green Bay C, 2) Somerby Golf Club (Rochester, MN, but very close to MN/WI border) 3) BIshiops Bay (madison) 4) La Crosse & Eau Claire 5) Green wood Hills

Anyone else seeing ridiculous wait times on the Clubline recently? I'm sitting on 11 minutes on hold and counting.

edit: 20 minutes before I finally hung up. This is the third or fourth time I've been on hold for a while in the past month or so, but 20 minutes is the new record. The clubline used to be great, but it's almost unusable anymore.

> @baddomes said:

> Anyone else seeing ridiculous wait times on the Clubline recently? I'm sitting on 11 minutes on hold and counting.

>

> edit: 20 minutes before I finally hung up. This is the third or fourth time I've been on hold for a while in the past month or so, but 20 minutes is the new record. The clubline used to be great, but it's almost unusable anymore.

I think it is system issue. I got tee time confirmation email 24 hours later. At least we get to talk to very well mannered warm blooded Texans.

> @baddomes said:

> Anyone else seeing ridiculous wait times on the Clubline recently? I'm sitting on 11 minutes on hold and counting.

>

> edit: 20 minutes before I finally hung up. This is the third or fourth time I've been on hold for a while in the past month or so, but 20 minutes is the new record. The clubline used to be great, but it's almost unusable anymore.

Yes. It has been real bad for me. And ive been told i get tee times and then find out it was another time. Its really dropped off. So much so ive stopped using it and am cancelling after this month.

Callaway Rogue ST MAX LS 9*

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*
Callaway Apex 18*

Titleist T150 4-GW
Titleist Vokey SM9 54* | 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

The cynic in me thinks they are rolling the calls to "hold" for however-many minutes to get people to use email to make tee times. Cheaper for ClubCorp.

Email has been generally fine for me when requesting tee times, but if it's anything other than that, you need to talk to someone so they don't misunderstand what you're asking.

> @flushem said:

> > @baddomes said:

> > Anyone else seeing ridiculous wait times on the Clubline recently? I'm sitting on 11 minutes on hold and counting.

> >

> > edit: 20 minutes before I finally hung up. This is the third or fourth time I've been on hold for a while in the past month or so, but 20 minutes is the new record. The clubline used to be great, but it's almost unusable anymore.

>

> I think it is system issue. I got tee time confirmation email 24 hours later. At least we get to talk to very well mannered warm blooded Texans.

UPDATE

I called yesterday. I got hooked up right away in seconds.

> @baddomes said:

Apparently a couple of weeks ago they had a power outage from significant storms in the area. I called during this period and the message said that the office was closed during normal hours. They must have gotten significantly backed up. They did not respond to an electronic request so I called them. Later that week I tried my call again and had the long wait time. Hopefully just a temporary issue for them. I usually book electronically but call with more complicated requests. What I find interesting is that for even the clubs they own they have to call the Pro Shop to request tee times. With online booking that seems odd. Perhaps it is a courtesy to see if there are any considerations before booking.

FYI - just played Firestone and when I am off next week will post a review. Playing Engineers this weekend and Ridge Club next weekend.

> @baddomes said:

>

I try to e-mail, or use the site for booking everything.

I reviewed my recent Firestone experience including the North and South courses. However, I did not post them here. By accident I posted them to the general Membership and Travel section. Read my review, but as a travel member or play away member, whatever they call it these days, make sure you take a pilgrimage to Firestone.

So I played Engineers Country Club this past Sunday. This is a relatively new course in the Club Corp network. The club was bought by a real estate developer with the goal of developing some of the land on the property and to preserve the country club. Good, because actofgod may be right, this may be the best course in the network. Cannot claim that it is because I have not played all of the better courses, but this was one of the best courses I have ever played.

Before I get to the golf, this course has all of the amenities to make it a great day. Upon arrival you can drop off the car and clubs with the valet. Then head to the locker room, which is one of the nicer ones I have been in. Firestone's was better overall but this one seemed newer and nicer. Then head to the smallish pro shop where you will be handed a yardage map and a course map. The course is bisected by a road with a large bridge. In no way does this impact play or the enjoyment of the course. The holes do not have number signs. This is an old school golf course that has either held on to it's traditions or re-did them when the updated the course.

The driving range and putting green are just off the clubhouse and close to the first tee. All very nice and well worth a little practice time.

If you enjoy the classic golf courses than this one is for you. I do enjoy the classics. They re-did the course a few years ago. The conditions were great. However, there must have been some members or guests that left a few ball marks on greens or did not rake the bunkers.

The fairways for the most part are wide, except for a few, and there are several blind tees shots and dog leg holes. Love it. There is a lot of up and down to this course, it is a great piece of property for golf. The fairway bunkers are plentiful and in many cases properly align you to where to place your shot.

The greens are what make the difference here. I thought I played bold greens at my home course but these are amazing. First, they are big. Most of them have several zones with a ton of undulation between them. I cannot count how many times I took a three putt and even had a four putt. They are fast.

One other point is that your approach shot really matters here. Slightly downhill and you forget to factor it in then you are on the wrong section of green or off the back and realistically it is a three putt. Pull an approach into one of the greenside hills with fescue, good luck finding your ball.

After a few of these I realized I made a mistake by not taking a caddie or a forecaddie. This is perhaps the best peice of advice when playing this course for the first time. My score really was hurt by not knowing where to miss my shots or how to putt these greens.

There is one infamous hole on this property; the 2 or 20. It is a short par three, 95 from the white, with severe drop off on most sides. I won't say how I played it but I did use my mulligan here and never found the first ball. See some pictures below.

This is a great course and is worthy of a trip to NYC/Long Island just to play it. This is one of the best courses I have ever played. Play it now before they take it out of the rota, I have no inside knowledge. I wanted to play Omni Bedford and it left just before I could execute.

q582wjczdxcj.jpg

gd0ptg82dzbm.jpg

kwewrga6xo1x.jpg

hswasi9id0u6.jpg

• Like 1

> @theebdk said:

> I reviewed my recent Firestone experience including the North and South courses. However, I did not post them here. By accident I posted them to the general Membership and Travel section. Read my review, but as a travel member or play away member, whatever they call it these days, make sure you take a pilgrimage to Firestone.

Did you guys get to play the west course? If not a return trip might be worth it. I think the front on the West is the best 9 there.

> @act0fgod said:

> > @theebdk said:

> > I reviewed my recent Firestone experience including the North and South courses. However, I did not post them here. By accident I posted them to the general Membership and Travel section. Read my review, but as a travel member or play away member, whatever they call it these days, make sure you take a pilgrimage to Firestone.

>

> Did you guys get to play the west course? If not a return trip might be worth it. I think the front on the West is the best 9 there.

Thought the North overall was a better test.

> @tjblue said:

> Last weekend my wife and I played Heron Point and Glen abbey. Both in fantastic shape with friendly members and staff.

>

> I highly recommend a weekend trip to Toronto.

For a clubcorp binge trip, it has to be Toronto and Atlanta. You could spend a month in both places with the number of courses in each city.

> @act0fgod said:

> > @theebdk said:

> > I reviewed my recent Firestone experience including the North and South courses. However, I did not post them here. By accident I posted them to the general Membership and Travel section. Read my review, but as a travel member or play away member, whatever they call it these days, make sure you take a pilgrimage to Firestone.

>

> Did you guys get to play the west course? If not a return trip might be worth it. I think the front on the West is the best 9 there.

We are saving the West course for the next trip out, perhaps next year.

> @CStephenson17 said:

> Headed to Boston in September, Ipswich or The Ridge?

Just played the Ridge Club on Cape Cod but have never played Ipswich. So can only comment on Ridge. We had a very enjoyable round at the Ridge. The facilities are top notch including the locker room, driving range and short game area (renovated recently), and the bar area. We took a fore caddie as it was our first time and he did an excellent job.

The course is in great shape. The course is in a housing development but they are set back and do not come into play. It is a very modern layout but to me seemed a bit fake. There was a lot of mounding around greens and some fairways that did not seem to fit the land. Perhaps you can see that in the pictures posted. There were also some fairway undulations that left you wondering why. And there is an island green and some water on several of the holes late in the round. The course feels like you are in the Carolinas. Again, enjoyed the day but the course itself was not my cup of tee.

p45jfyyco3uy.jpg

l8ujpmrukq1x.jpg

q2jxfpblvg57.jpg

• Like 1

> @ScottJN said:

> How does the free greens fees work? Could you time it for a weekend vacation where you basically have 4 consecutive free rounds? Interested in this if that’s the case, especially after reading all the reviews posted ITT

You only need to pay the cart fee ($20-40) when you get complimentary green fees. Each club listed as complimentary green fees you can play twice every 30 days. Many new people think its twice a month, but you cannot go say July 30th and 31st and turn around and get two more August 1st and 2nd.

But yes, you can plan several trips around the clubcorp courses. If you are just travel (now called play away), I don't think you can book before 11 am on the weekends (someone correct me if I'm wrong as I am a full member).

> @defnotapro said:

> > @ScottJN said:

> > How does the free greens fees work? Could you time it for a weekend vacation where you basically have 4 consecutive free rounds? Interested in this if that’s the case, especially after reading all the reviews posted ITT

>

> You only need to pay the cart fee ($20-40) when you get complimentary green fees. Each club listed as complimentary green fees you can play twice every 30 days. Many new people think its twice a month, but you cannot go say July 30th and 31st and turn around and get two more August 1st and 2nd.

> But yes, you can plan several trips around the clubcorp courses. If you are just travel (now called play away), I don't think you can book before 11 am on the weekends (someone correct me if I'm wrong as I am a full member).

It stated on their site that you can’t book before noon on weekends. Thank you for the info. Could you possibly manage 4 different courses over say 4 days? If I could take a long weekend ever 2 months I’d sign up in a heartbeat and end up road tripping a bunch.

> @ScottJN said:

> > @defnotapro said:

> > > @ScottJN said:

> > > How does the free greens fees work? Could you time it for a weekend vacation where you basically have 4 consecutive free rounds? Interested in this if that’s the case, especially after reading all the reviews posted ITT

> >

> > You only need to pay the cart fee ($20-40) when you get complimentary green fees. Each club listed as complimentary green fees you can play twice every 30 days. Many new people think its twice a month, but you cannot go say July 30th and 31st and turn around and get two more August 1st and 2nd.

> > But yes, you can plan several trips around the clubcorp courses. If you are just travel (now called play away), I don't think you can book before 11 am on the weekends (someone correct me if I'm wrong as I am a full member).

>

> It stated on their site that you can’t book before noon on weekends. Thank you for the info. Could you possibly manage 4 different courses over say 4 days? If I could take a long weekend ever 2 months I’d sign up in a heartbeat and end up road tripping a bunch.

Yes definitely. I've actually played both courses at a club on multiple occasions or played two different clubs on the same day. We go to palm springs every year and usually play two at mission hills, one or two at indian wells, and omni or desert fall depending on he we need to fill.

> @ScottJN said:

> > @defnotapro said:

> > > @ScottJN said:

> > > How does the free greens fees work? Could you time it for a weekend vacation where you basically have 4 consecutive free rounds? Interested in this if that’s the case, especially after reading all the reviews posted ITT

> >

> > You only need to pay the cart fee ($20-40) when you get complimentary green fees. Each club listed as complimentary green fees you can play twice every 30 days. Many new people think its twice a month, but you cannot go say July 30th and 31st and turn around and get two more August 1st and 2nd.

> > But yes, you can plan several trips around the clubcorp courses. If you are just travel (now called play away), I don't think you can book before 11 am on the weekends (someone correct me if I'm wrong as I am a full member).

>

> It stated on their site that you can’t book before noon on weekends. Thank you for the info. Could you possibly manage 4 different courses over say 4 days? If I could take a long weekend ever 2 months I’d sign up in a heartbeat and end up road tripping a bunch.

FYI, the cart fee ranges from $15 - $25 in Southern Cal. In general, private clubs allow non-local members after 11 am. But resort courses like La Costa limit 4 players a day.

We ate at the University Club in Milwaukee this past weekend, food was good (Especially the apple crisp and local ice cream), service was very good. Excellent view of the lake and museum from the top floor would definitely go again if in Milwaukee. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a tee time at either University Club or Bishops Bay at a time that worked this trip so no golf reviews.