Rich S: shot my low round and won

rich_s2

Mental update :P I feel like a new person on the course. Played a lot of golf the last two days. During the rounds I could not even tell you what my score was or the guys I was playing with. Played in the moment, stayed positive and just had a level of focus I don’t think I ever had.

The only hiccup happened yesterday when I took driver and cut a dogleg on a par 4. Just pounded it and ended up one yard short of the green side bunker. It was in a plugged lie even though it rolled to that point. I had no shot, or at least not one I know how to play. Ended up taking a double. I think it was the worst break I have ever had playing this game. It got to me but I let it go shortly after.

I’m doing the mental scorecard. Give myself a score on how I handled myself mentally after every shot. Keeps my focus off my self imposed score barriers. It’s also not as mentally exhausting playing golf this way as well as being more enjoyable.

• Like 2

Trying a new bag set-up. I am a good driver of the golf ball but our course has some very tight holes. By tight I mean in the middle of the fairway you are blocked out by huge trees so you have to hit it into a tiny landing area. I am not a big fan of 3 woods and so I thought I would swap mine out for a mini driver. I have a hybrid I can hit 240 off the ground and am very comfortable with it so I figure I can use the mini driver for off the tee only on these tighter holes.

Hit the range last night and have a few shafts for it. Ended up on my Accra FX2.0 shaft and it was just a laser. I took it out on the course to test. On the second hole (par 5) I hit the perfect spot. It hit on a downhill slope and was the best tee shot I have ever hit on that hole. I was not sold though. The 5th hole is threading the needle off the tee and I also had a group watching me as I played through. Perfect drive...I was starting to like this. Hole 6 has OB left and water right. You have a 20 yard wide area to land or you are in trouble. Normally I lay back to the fat part but I said what the heck and piped one right down the middle. Hole 7 is a par 5 and into the wind and again, very tight. The fairway slopes to the right and there is a huge willow tree that sticks out and you ball will collect under it leaving you with almost nothing. I tried hugging the left side and the wind held it up and did not clear the bunkers. Now I know my regular driver would have with that strike. This lead to a bogey.

I have 2 matches tonight and its in the bag. I feel like I can flight this easier than my regular driver and hit it into tighter areas. I also have a few doglegs where driver can go through the fairway if I pound it so this might be perfect. This will be a good test tonight.

If you have been following, you know I played with a + handicap last week and he gave me some pointers. Been working on my transition while putting and on a better chipping technique. Putting has gotten noticeably better. I spent a hour on the course practicing chipping with my 60. Its starting to click. Nick noticed I pull the club to the inside and I also do that on my full swing. Already seeing some improvement after he pointed that out. My game is really in a good place right now as well as some progress in my mental game. Focus in this weeks events will be my routines and my mental focus. Not worried about the score. Wish me luck :)

Got a call this morning from some friends that wanted me to join them for nine holes at a local course. Work is slow so I joined them. Shot 3 under. Got myself into trouble twice and played to NOT take a double and ended up making long putts to save par. The rest of the holes were magical. Got two 9 hole league matches tonight. Going to not have any expectations going in and stay in the moment. Love playing golf this way!

• Like 1

League last night. It rained just before it started so no warm up but I had played yesterday morning. The guy I was up against is a friend and a fellow member so we skipped ahead of the slow groups. Unfortunately I picked hole #3 which is a 200 yard uphill par three with no warm up lol. I pushed my 6i right into the sand and took a bogey. Best part, my mind was in a perfect place.

Short par 4 I usually take driver but I have to hit a 15-20 yd fairway that deep. I had pondered this hole the last few days and chose 4i instead. Par

The next two holes are the worst. Just brutal. Hooked my drive 5' from being OB, then pushed a 5i into the land of no return. Mind was great and I just was focused on not taking a double. I hit a great shot out of some thigh high grass but still ended up with a double. Did not even phase me.

I think this next tee shot is the hardest of any course I have ever played. Very elevated box, OB left, water right and less than 20yd fairway that slopes towards the water, and its windy. I practiced a stinger hybrid all winter just for this tee shot. A bit right and just off the fairway. Pulled a 8i from 170 into the bunker. Bogey. At this point I had pretty much won the match even with my crap play but I was mentally in the zone. I knew I was just off and just focused on the shot at hand.

I will skip to the end, I was 6 over with two to play. Kept my head in the game and went par birdie to shoot a 41. Great score for playing aweful and it only happened because of my mental game. I gave myself an a+ for the round. Now I had to play another guy since he could not be there next week. So we jumped right to the 1st hole.

It was similar only my irons were on, putting was on but tee shots sucked as well as my short game. I am sticking with this new chipping swing and using my 60 around the greens. Its hurting me in the short term but I know this will pay off once I get it down. I had quite a few good birdie chances and just barely missed each of them. Just not my day but mental game was again strong and shot a 40 an won that match as well.

Overall it was a great day for me. Main focus is mental and I kept it together in the morning to shoot 3 under and when I played bad in the afternoon to shoot 81. Crap weather, rain all day today. Tournament tomorrow. I need to get there early and get my tee shots ironed out as well as some short game practice. Overall I could not be happier as I know I am on the right track.

Gutted, golf...just gutted. Tournament today. Perfect warm up, great couple of playing partners but very windy. Doubled the third hole then birdied 7 for a 2 over 38 on the front. Birdie 10 and I’m one over going into 14. I took a 9 on this hole last week. Perfect tee shot, perfect 2nd. Took the wrong club for the third shot but decided to hit it hard instead of getting the right club. Shanked it into the hazard. Dropped and shanked it into the hazard. Took a 10. Kept myself positive but just did not finish strong and shot 81.

I hit 4 bad shots all day but they really cost me. Ugh this game lol.

> @"rich s" said:

> Gutted, golf...just gutted. Tournament today. Perfect warm up, great couple of playing partners but very windy. Doubled the third hole then birdied 7 for a 2 over 38 on the front. Birdie 10 and I’m one over going into 14. I took a 9 on this hole last week. Perfect tee shot, perfect 2nd. Took the wrong club for the third shot but decided to hit it hard instead of getting the right club. Shanked it into the hazard. Dropped and shanked it into the hazard. Took a 10. Kept myself positive but just did not finish strong and shot 81.

>

> I hit 4 bad shots all day but they really cost me. Ugh this game lol.

Oh man! I can so relate. Just look at the other 17 holes, sounds like you were really cruising along nicely!

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Stats for yesterday's tournament round:

putts-34

GIR- 11

2/7 got up and down

Fairways- 9 of 14

birdies-2

par 72 score-81

Recap: 80 minutes to warm up is my number, did not feel rushed and gave me enough time to shake off my work day. Had some nerves but was mentally strong, especially on the front 9. Stayed positive. Back nine I fought to stay focused but I was mentally exhausted. I think the wind had a big part of this. On the par 5 where I took a 10, it is cart path only. I had the wrong club and I knew it but did not want to hold up my playing partners to go back. Next time I take a few clubs to the ball. Being one over thru 13 is a great achievement and I will try to build off of that.

Things to work on: Short downhill putts, this costed me a three putt each of the last two events. 120 yards into a stiff wind, I chose to flight the ball down rather than take and extra club. I am going to take the extra club and work hard over winter on flighting down my PW. Chipping, definitely improving but 2/7 needs to be better. Uphill chips I was much better than downhill so I will focus on that.

What a day!!!! Got to play a Country Club I have never played with some friends. It was rainy, cold and windy. Not a long course but tree lined and tight (Similar to my home course). Shot a 40 on the front and then it rained hard. We got some food and watched the open and then headed back out. I was 2 over going into 18 (par 3)....and I holed it! First ace ever!!! It one hopped and in. Its a par 71 so shot a 4 over 75. There was a wedding happening and a bunch of people saw the whole thing which made it even better. I love this game!! Trending at a 5.1 and playing some good golf heading into the state am qualifier. Here is a video of the moment, forgive the sarcasm at the end :)

• Like 2

> @"rich s" said:

> What a day!!!! Got to play a Country Club I have never played with some friends. It was rainy, cold and windy. Not a long course but tree lined and tight (Similar to my home course). Shot a 40 on the front and then it rained hard. We got some food and watched the open and then headed back out. I was 2 over going into 18 (par 3)....and I holed it! First ace ever!!! It one hopped and in. Its a par 71 so shot a 4 over 75. There was a wedding happening and a bunch of people saw the whole thing which made it even better. I love this game!! Trending at a 5.1 and playing some good golf heading into the state am qualifier. Here is a video of the moment, forgive the sarcasm at the end :)

>

>

Congrats Rich!!! Heck of a way to get your first. I bet its a day you’ll never forget!

Congrats on your ace! Nothing like hitting a walk off to end your round.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

1st round of our match play championship. I was one down after nine and shot 32 on the back to win 2&1. Tough match against a great opponent. Finished the last hole for fun and I shot a 72. Had one shank but I recovered and stuck a lot of wedges close and made a lot of putts, even a few over 30’. What a fun night!!

I know I’ve been posting a lot lately but I’m just so excited about my game. Shot a 75 in today’s tournament and am trending at a 4.4! Took 3rd gross. Zero three putts and 3 birdies. I had the chance to put up a great score but let a few opportunities slip by. The mental game keeps improving and no big numbers but did have 2 doubles.

State am qualifier next week and we are all thinking a 79 makes it. Going to practice playing the course as long as it can be played over the weekend. I know they are setting it up long.

• Like 1

Really nice centered pivot and stays behind it nicely! Swing looks great at the top too!

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Well what a day. Body felt great, had a great attitude but it just did not go my way. Was 6 over on the front and no part of my game was on but I did not do anything terrible. This course just eats you up when you make any kind of mistake. Took aggressive lines on the back and got killed. Shot 89 but had a great time. Golf is a crazy game :)

> @"rich s" said:

> Ella’s current swing. She has been working hard on her wrist angles at the takeaway so her clubface is not as open as it is in the video. Really trying to get her to use her legs more. Might try an alignment stick in her belt loops

>

>

Man she is doing a lot of things right here! I think you are right that she needs to get her lower body a bit more active though, hanging back on the R side, will likely start hitting snap hooks as a fault if she keeps that up. Still nice impact position with her hands ahead of the ball.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

> @Rohlio said:

> > @"rich s" said:

> > Ella’s current swing. She has been working hard on her wrist angles at the takeaway so her clubface is not as open as it is in the video. Really trying to get her to use her legs more. Might try an alignment stick in her belt loops

> >

> >

>

> Man she is doing a lot of things right here! I think you are right that she needs to get her lower body a bit more active though, hanging back on the R side, will likely start hitting snap hooks as a fault if she keeps that up. Still nice impact position with her hands ahead of the ball.

>

I mean, come on. I’d kill for this P6

zt3kqaeivf69.png

• Like 1

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Ella today, not a good strike be we worked hard on starting to use the legs more.

I got a tournament at Lawsonia links today. Hit the range early this morning. My flip has been creeping back into my swing so focusing on swinging “slower” and keeping my right wrist cupped. That produces a very accurate and long tight draw. I’ve had so many tournaments I have not had as much time to practice and old habits creep back in. Feel ready for today

Ella's move looks better, who cares about the contact?!?!

She has some real potential!

Congrats on the 75!

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

> @ebrasmus21 said:

> Are you and Ella still sending vids to Carraher?

We are still working on the first one. I am hoping her and I can go take a in person lesson in fall then work on our swings over winter again. She has made a lot of progress and want to make sure we keep her on the right track. Just wish Dan wasn’t so far away

> @"rich s" said:

> > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > Are you and Ella still sending vids to Carraher?

>

> We are still working on the first one. I am hoping her and I can go take a in person lesson in fall then work on our swings over winter again. She has made a lot of progress and want to make sure we keep her on the right track. Just wish Dan wasn’t so far away

>

>

Understood. I’d like to take a lesson with Dan one day but it’s quite literally on the other side of the country for me.

Summer golf looks to be fun for you and Ella. Then in the winter you can work on your swings and make some putter prototypes!

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

New handicap, 4.0 I would like to make a long post about the differences in my game vs when this post started and my future plans for improvement.

**Clubs**- I got fit, got away from GI irons as I had too many flyers and once I found what I like I stopped being a club ho. I would say getting fit for driver at Club Champion opened my eyes to just how much of a difference the proper head and shaft (shaft especially) can make. Getting fit for a putter was huge for me too. Having my short irons bent weak and getting proper gaps throughout my bag has helped a lot. My old PW was 150-160 and my current is 125-135. Much more practical for 6500-7000 yd courses.

**Swing**- this was the big one. Stopped playing YT warrior and went to see Dan Carraher. Fixed my OTT move, eliminated my back pain and added a ton of distance and accuracy. Went from hitting weak fades to baby draws. The best part is that this process taught me how to control path and face angles. I can now work the ball both ways with control as well as control trajectories. I would like to explain the main iron shots I play:

1) ball slightly back, baby draw to full distance. I would call this my stock shot

2) ball slightly forward with hold off finish. This hits the ball higher and half a club shorter and has a dead straight flight.

3) ball forward OTT fade. I use this for a pin tucked on the right or if I have an obstacle

4) ball forward stock swing. This produces a big high monster draw and goes half a club longer than stock. I use this for pins tucked left. I can really miss this one left so I only use it when I feel it it absolutely necessary.

Once spring finally came I learned to stop filming my swing so much. It was time to play actual golf. I rarely video as it can cause me to chase positions. I will save that for next winter.

**Pitching/chipping/wedges**- weak point of my game. Super vanilla here, no wrist hinge on pitching/chipping. I am consistent but don't stick a lot of gimmee's. Never hit anything under a PW full. I have a 3/4 swing I use on various clubs from 65-110 and then use a putting stroke and PW for anything closer. I get a little more creative around the greens but still a bump and run guy. Getting a short game lesson this week. I feel this part of my game got me to where I am but if I want to continue to get better I need to change it up.

**Putting**- Get fit!! This was huge as I mentioned earlier. I also use my feet to read breaks on every putt. I don't use my eyes at all. Every time I let my eyes influence my putt it goes bad. I feel left/right slopes as well as uphill/downhill slopes with my feet. I also use the line on the ball on every putt outside 6'. Earlier this summer I practiced a lot on the putting green. Found a routine that has helped me and as long as I stick to it I putt ok. My putting seems to be rounding the corner lately, getting some confidence here.

**Mental Game**- this is so important. Get the book "mastering golf's mental game". It has changed my game almost as much as my lessons with Dan. I don't focus on scores, don't have expectations and use my nerves to my advantage. Still a work in progress but drastic improvement so far. I'm learning how to stay in the moment, stay positive and only worry about the shot at hand. I also talk the shot over verbally. Something about saying it out loud seems to help me pull it off. The weak part of my mental game happens now when I have a really good round going and I am on hole 13-16. Keeping the excitement in check and not letting my mind wander is difficult.

**Simulator**- big one here. There is nothing better than a net when you are trying to make changes. In the months after my lesson with Dan (winter) I would just hit into a net. Goal was to make the change, not hit a good shot. If you are making a change and hitting it well, you are not making a change. The net takes the sting out of watching a poorly struck ball. Once I was making good contact I would turn on the Skytrak. I only hit my PW, once I could hit push draws, I moved to my 9. Once I got that, moved to the 8 etc. After months of hard work, the move felt natural. At this point I used to Skytrak to dial in all my shapes and distances. There was 2' of snow on the ground and doing this made a huge impact on my game. The Skytrak is a REALLY good tool to dial in irons. It is extremely accurate with them but not so much on driver. I plan on doing this same thing this winter. Cannot recommend this enough

From here the plan is to really work hard on getting up and down from around the greens more. I have played in a ton of events/tournaments and have a lot more scheduled. I can't recommend this enough to those/if any reading this. It would be cool to see a 3 or a 2 this year for my handicap but honestly that is the side effect of a good mental game. I think not having a handicap goal is a good thing as anytime I focus on numbers they become a barrier.

• Like 1

• rich_s2 changed the title to Rich S: shot my low round and won