UPDATE - No Longer Demoralized. Down from 12 to 7.3 Handicap in 8 Months.

DLev45

• 2 weeks later...

Well listen to my last two 2 man matches

Me a 2, partner is a 6

Match 1 .. we go gross 6 under thru first 6 holes and smoke a 6 and 7 cap. Win 7&6

Match 2 .. play an 8 and 9. The nine hits a 320 yard 3 wood off the tee all day, fat Rory his bud calls him. The 8 shoots a 1 under 71, after not besting 80 yet this year. Lose 5&4

Funny game we love

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Sandbaggers.> @cardoustie said:

> Well listen to my last two 2 man matches

> Me a 2, partner is a 6

> Match 1 .. we go gross 6 under thru first 6 holes and smoke a 6 and 7 cap. Win 7&6

> Match 2 .. play an 8 and 9. The nine hits a 320 yard 3 wood off the tee all day, fat Rory his bud calls him. The 8 shoots a 1 under 71, after not besting 80 yet this year. Lose 5&4

> Funny game we love

Yeah, sandbagging is hilarious....when you're the sandbagger.

Taylormade M1 9.5°  |  Speeder 661

Ping G 14.5°  |  Aldila NV 75

Titleist T-MB 21°  |  S400

PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW  |  Elevate Tour X100

Callaway MD Forged  |  Recoil 125

Taylormade  |  Spider Tour Black

Speaking purely about competitive golf.....

Competitive golf sends you through the 5 stages of grief over and over again. Almost a never ending cycle. You're can't believe it, then you're mad, then you start bargaining (if I do this, then this will happen), you hit depression, and finally you accept it. Honestly the quicker you get to acceptance, the better. Everyone has bad rounds. You can either get lost in the 5 stages or plow through them. I would argue the best golfers are able to deal with tragedy and adversity the best.

My advice is to accept the result and focus on getting better. I generally let those bad rounds drive me. Often trying to remember how awful I felt especially when I feel like not practicing. Use it as fuel and come back stronger.

> @CardsChamps11 said:

> Speaking purely about competitive golf.....

> Competitive golf sends you through the 5 stages of grief over and over again. Almost a never ending cycle. You're can't believe it, then you're mad, then you start bargaining (if I do this, then this will happen), you hit depression, and finally you accept it. Honestly the quicker you get to acceptance, the better. Everyone has bad rounds. You can either get lost in the 5 stages or plow through them. I would argue the best golfers are able to deal with tragedy and adversity the best.

>

> My advice is to accept the result and focus on getting better. I generally let those bad rounds drive me. Often trying to remember how awful I felt especially when I feel like not practicing. Use it as fuel and come back stronger.

Well said. I did follow it up with a 77 (+5) my next time out, ironically playing in a foursome with the same guy who beat me. He shot an 83. But it didn't come with the pressure of match play.

This latest revision dropped me to a 9.2.

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

Practice is different then play. If you can only play the course for real once a week, try to "play the course" on the range. It's a lot easier to hit a good shot when it doesn't mean anything. You need to find a way to put pressure on yourself during a range session or at least play a game that has some point total so that you can keep track of your improvement since you can't play the big course very often.

> > @KenRobie said:

> > As Bluedot sad above, range time without risk/reward consequences is usually just a placebo effect come game time. Find a playing partner who plays a littler worse than you but who is also driven to get better. Play straight up match play with what ever handicap allowance you feel is necessary, but make each hole worth something (money even a buck or two works well) to keep your focus and help lower you adrenaline or anxiety, whichever your afflicted with. If practice harder than you play it gets easier as opposed to the other way around.

>

> If you have a regular foursome, and you aren't already, get them to play a 6-6-6 game for $2 a match; you'd be amazed at how much difference it makes in your focus, and you're restarting the process every six holes. If you play with two other guys, play a Lone Wolf game for a dollar a point; same thing. But play for SOMETHING in practice rounds; otherwise, it gets too easy to start tinkering, or to hit another ball after a bad shot, or whatever. And if you only get to play once a week anyway, it's that much more critical that you do anything that you can to simulate competition.

Definitely agree with this. I've never been a gambler, but if you can transition a "fun" round into a competitive feeling round, you get that much closer to actual competition.

• 2 weeks later...

> @DLev45 said:

> > @Swisstrader98 said:

> > > @DLev45 said:

> > > > @tjw018 said:

> > > > That sucks! An 84 while you're playing off a 10 can't be that bad a score though can it? An 81 as a 13 is probably one of his better rounds of the year I'd imagine...unless this is a really easy course...

> > >

> > > 84 is a differential of about 11. 70.5/131 at 6,200. Course is actually designed by Robert Trent Jones, but it isn't a trail course.

> > >

> > > My previous 5 were 79/82/80/81/80 coming in. But the practice sessions this week had far exceeded the sessions the previous weeks were I was hovering around 80, so my expectations were much higher and I thought I was turning a corner. I'm a 10 who thought he was headed towards 7 and it was just a matter of getting enough rounds in.

> >

> > You’re a 10 and you shot 79/82/80/81/80??!!

> >

> > I’d be the first guy to call you out as a sandbagger. Lol

> >

>

> Well I did say I had been playing well and that I felt I was trending down based on my rounds. But a 79 is only a course differential of 7.5 and an 82 is a differential of 10.

>

> I have three 84s and two 83s that are counting as well.

Well I lost my 2nd match in the match play as well in the double elimination match play and I’m out. But man did it go and feel differently.

I was playing a 3 handicap and he has to give me 7 strokes. Our handicap was locked in at the beginning of the tournament and didn’t change to follow new revisions since the bracket had been made out. And he was MUCH longer than me.

I come out and birdie 1 & 2. I birdied 2 making a 12 foot downhill left to right putt when my opponent had drove to the fringe on this 320 yard short Par 4 and was looking at 4 feet for birdie when I drained mine. We halved and I’m 1-up.

I lost 3-5. 2-down. He went birdie/par/birdie and I went bogey/bogey/par. The bad loss here was #3. It was my first stroke hole and we both hit GIR but I missed a 5 footer for par and he made birdie, so I’m 0-1 in my own stroke holes.

I finish the back 9 bogey/par/birdie/par to shoot 36 (E) on the front and I’m 1-down at the turn to my opponent, who shot 34 (-2) .

I win 10 with par. Even. He wins 11 with birdie. He’s 1-up. I win 12 with par. Even. At that point I’m +1 for the round.

13-15 are all stroke holes for me. I double 13 and he makes par thanks to a bad tee shot and a bad mental error. I was 40 yards away laying 2 with a bunker between me and the short-sided pin and he had an 9 foot putt for birdie so I tried to a hit a flop thinking I needed to make par to tie and I hit it in the bunker. He misses his putt and makes par so I bogey would have halved the hole and my aggression worked against me. He’s 1-up.

I double 14 and he makes par. But this one was by FAR the worst. 200 yard Par 3 over water. He was on the green. I was getting a stroke so I aimed to miss left (water right). Hit it dead straight at the bunker I was aiming at. So I had an easy 12 yard shot out of the bunker to 2-putt for bogey. He was actually out even though he was on the green. He lags his putt to about 6 feet for par. And... I blade my bunker shot across the green and into the lake.... ouch. He’s 2 up.

I win 15 straight up with a par. He’s 1 up. And I’m done with stroke holes. I ended up going 3W-1D-3L with my stroke holes, which obviously isn’t good enough. The stroke only factored in the draw, as I won 3 of them outright and lost 3 of them by 2 shots.

He wins 16 with birdie. He’s 2-up and I think I’m done. But I win 17 with par. He’s 1-up!

We get to 18 with tee shots down the middle and he is out. His sticks his wedge to 7 feet uphill for birdie. I hit mine was about 15 feet past to the fringe, leaving myself a down hiller from the fringe. I drain it and he misses to send it to overtime.

We literally spend the next 15 minutes standing on the #1 tee box. There are duffers in front of us that each hit multiple balls of the tee and the. spend 10 minutes hunting their Rock-Flites. The starter got in a cart and drove down there to the #1 fairway to tell them they are taking way too long.

After I had all that momentum, I’m iced and I hit it right OB on the first playoff hole. Clutch enough to be 2 down with 2 to play and force a playoff with a long birdie putt. Not clutch enough to keep it in bounds once I got there.

He ended up shooting a 74 (+2) to my 77 (+5). It was a hell of match.

My last 5 rounds are 77/81/77/83/77 and I’m down from a 10 when this thread started to an 8.3.

I like Match Play and have had some success at it recently winning my Club’s Match Play Tournament this year after finish runner up last year. I am 65 year old 7 hdcp who plays from White Tees and had to twice beat a 23 y/o 3 hdcp to win. He played the back tees due to age and handicap. We ended hitting from the same distance to the green mostly.

I have found that my grinding strategy of fairways and greens and pars (with occasional birdie) will be successful most of the time because my opponent feels they have to birdie holes to win and most club amateur’s will then let the pressure affect them.

This will be different than play in a money scat game where it’s all about birdies. Match Play is just different and I find I concentrate much harder than my Saturday morning scat/ greenie/ robin game at stroke play.

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Graphite 
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

Its interesting I never used to play much "match play" until I joined a club and that's pretty much all we play. Even in our comps its at worst stableford, which is pretty much the equivalent of match play to me. The only stroke comps I get in our state comps and the yearly club championship.

I think the biggest thing about match play is the mentality - its you against your opponent for 18 (+) holes. you both might play like dog poo, you both might play lights out, but you have to approach every hole as its own mini-game. Your overall score is irrelevant - you may lay up or take risk out of play because your opponent is in a worse position, or you may have to ram a putt home to try to have. Also especially against mid-high handicaps, you generally will get wild swings in play and consistency, so you are never too far ahead or behind.

I also think its a great barometer of your short game and putting. Having to make a decision on whether to go for the fancy chip, or just make sure you give yourself a putt, depending on the situation, 7-10 times per round is a great learning experience. Also it puts much more pressure on your putting and will spotlight if that's an issue for you in crunch time.

> @DLev45 said:

> > @tjw018 said:

> > That sucks! An 84 while you're playing off a 10 can't be that bad a score though can it? An 81 as a 13 is probably one of his better rounds of the year I'd imagine...unless this is a really easy course...

>

> 84 is a differential of about 11. 70.5/131 at 6,200. Course is actually designed by Robert Trent Jones, but it isn't a trail course.

>

> My previous 5 were 79/82/80/81/80 coming in. But the practice sessions this week had far exceeded the sessions the previous weeks were I was hovering around 80, so my expectations were much higher and I thought I was turning a corner. I'm a 10 who thought he was headed towards 7 and it was just a matter of getting enough rounds in.

Expectations much higher- there's your problem

Beware of the sick golfer

> @memphishorn said:

> I like Match Play and have had some success at it recently winning my Club’s Match Play Tournament this year after finish runner up last year. I am 65 year old 7 hdcp who plays from White Tees and had to twice beat a 23 y/o 3 hdcp to win. He played the back tees due to age and handicap. We ended hitting from the same distance to the green mostly.

What was the course rating from the two sets of tees?

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve got to brag on myself because I just did the unthinkable. I started the year as a 12 handicap. Been working hard at all the facets of my game and had gotten down to a 10 cap when I started this thread back in June. I practice 3 hours per week on the range and 2 hours at home chipping and putting. I get to play once a week on the weekends.

This weekend was our club championship. I had gotten down to an 8.5 cap. I ended up in the 1st flight.

Day 1:

78 (+6)

9/14 FIR

11/18 GIR

2/7 scrambling

31 putts

Had a triple and double that killed me. Played the other 16 holes at +1 but those 2 blow ups set me back.

I’m in 2nd in the 1st flight after Day 1 and 4 shots back of the leader at 74. The leader has 4 rounds in the 60s this year and was a heavy Calcutta favorite. My all-time personal best round is 76, so I’m thinking if I clean up the big mistake, I can maybe shoot 76 or 77 and see what happens on Day 2.

I start off birdie/birdie/par to leader’s bogey/par/bogey. His 4 stroke lead was gone walking off the #3 green.

Day 2:

73 (+1)

9/14 FIR

13/18 GIR

29 putts

2/5 scrambling

I had 4 birdies, 3 bogeys, and 1 double due to a lost ball in the trees.

The leader withered when I jumped out on him so fast and shot an 83. My gross was 151 and I won the 1st flight by 6 strokes.

Handicap trending to 7.3 when I started the year as a 12. I would have bet my house that I couldn’t shoot a personal best 73 on Sunday pin placements in the Club Championship.

The funny thing about golf is, even though I beat my previous best by 3 strokes, I can’t believe how easy it seemed and how many strokes in my head I know I left out there. I had 1 lip out, 1 that stopped an inch short dead in the heart for par, and then on the last 3 holes sitting at +1, I had 2 birdie looks inside 10 feet that burned the edges.

I was THAT close to shooting even par, and for once, it doesn’t seem so ridiculously difficult.

• Like 1

> @DLev45 said:

> > @BM5D said:

> > Match play can be tough and certain players are nearly unbeatable off their handicap in match play format. For example, a 10 handicap who makes a lot of pars but normally cards 2-3 doubles per round. Those doubles can be a death sentence in stroke play and can drive a handicap up, but only represent a lost hole (maybe) in match play. If this type of player gets it around pretty good aside from 2-3 blowup holes and you're giving him strokes, you will have to make natural birdies to win or hope he blows up on his stroke holes.

> >

> > While on the topic, 9 hole match play is even crazier. We all know a 10 hdcp who can put together a 38 or a 39 over 9 holes but this is the guy who would normally shoot 45 on the second nine if he was playing 18. Some players can play great off their handicaps across 9 holes to the point that it seems unfair.

>

> You described me. I am THAT 10. One of the previous 5 rounds on my index was an 80 where I shot 35 (-1) on the front and 45 (+9) on the back. Got "this might be the day...." in my head and came apart on the back trying to hold the round together.

>

> I think what really got me is that I thought I had turned the corner. **_My index was a 10, but in my mind I was a temporarily embarrassed 7 that just needed to log some rounds to watch the index drop based on how I had been hitting it. It was the best week of practice I have had in the 3 years I have been playing. _**

>

> And then I went out and played like the 10 that I am and not the trending 7 that I thought I was. And then the 13 shows up big time by comparison. Humble pie.

And... 9 rounds later, I actually am trending to a 7! My 9 rounds since I started this thread are 77, 81, 77, 83, 77, 83, 79, 78, 73. The last 2 are tournament rounds.