Starting a new adventure . . . Minimalist Golf

student of the game

> @drn92 said:

> > @irishmike27 said:

> > Curious whether minimalist golfers prefer laser or gps. I’ve been a gps user for years and I like it, but I just received a nice golf store gift card, so I may consider a laser. Good move, or does this go against the simplicity of it?

>

> Minimalist here and I just go with pacing off the yardage from the nearest sprinkler head.

>

> drn92

>

Me too, when I go minimalist.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I put together a minimalist bag for a few rounds this week after a visit to Play It Again Sports today. Using mostly classics. Titleist 905S 10.5*, Perfect Club 21*, Cobra Baffler 5h 26*, PING Eye2 7i, PING i3 Blade 9i, Cleveland CG15 52*, 56*, Odyssey 2Ball. All in Titleist Sunday bag. FORE! :)

• Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

> @sdandrea said:

> I put together a minimalist bag for a few rounds this week after a visit to Play It Again Sports today. Using mostly classics. Titleist 905S 10.5*, Perfect Club 21*, Cobra Baffler 5h 26*, PING Eye2 7i, PING i3 Blade 9i, Cleveland CG15 52*, 56*, Odyssey 2Ball. All in Titleist Sunday bag. FORE! :)

A bag close to my heart.....great stuff!

Played the other day using Driver, 7 wood, 5 hybrid, 9 iron, 58* wedge, Putter and shot an 81. I had a 7 iron and Gap in the bag but never touched them. This was about 15 strokes better then my last few "full bag" rounds.

Golf kills me....

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

> @sdandrea said:

> I put together a minimalist bag for a few rounds this week after a visit to Play It Again Sports today. Using mostly classics. Titleist 905S 10.5*, Perfect Club 21*, Cobra Baffler 5h 26*, PING Eye2 7i, PING i3 Blade 9i, Cleveland CG15 52*, 56*, Odyssey 2Ball. All in Titleist Sunday bag. FORE! :)

ikgkno27akt3.jpg

4lj5er43a54k.jpg

• Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

• 3 weeks later...

Modern Minimalist, 10 club set-up, 25 yard gaps between each club: can play any course, tons of fun, focused more, and better scores! Easy to carry in the Sunday bag with a yeti full of bourbon! Hole 19 for my apple watch. Trackman gap fitting at Miles of Golf all is good!

Driver Srixon 565 9.5

3-wood Titleist 915 15

2H Titleist 818 h1 19

4 Utility Srixon u65

6 Srixon 565

8 Srixon 765

PW Srixon 965

52 Cleveland rtx-3

60 Cleveland rtx-3

Putter Odyssey tank versa V-line

• Like 1

Recently discovered the threads on this and have given it a go for a couple of rounds. Absolutely love it! Scores have been the same (oddly literally exactly the same twice!) and the low stress on shot decisions and carry weight give a great feeling of freedom. I've gone with D, 17h, 4, 6, 8, P, 54 & Putter so 8 clubs seems to be sweet spot for me. My golfing companies mostly do not get it all and think i'm going mad.

Couple of questions for you all - if you went away on a golf trip where you were playing 2/3 courses you had never seen do you continue minimalist or go back up to 14? Also, recommendations for a sweet bag with a small stand? Kind of Pencil/sunday size but with a stand for when it gets wet.

I really don't see the point of 'minimalist golf'. Why wouldn't you carry your 14 if you can in a competition round? If you can't handle the decision, just frankly, learn to decide.

Side note, what is with all the same bloody threads in the past week regarding this.

Disclaimer: In a practice round, it's not minimalist golf if you don't shoot around the course with just a 7 iron in your hand. If I wanted a fun practice round, that's what I would do. Oh and of course, I'm a huge advocate for the half set practice round.

If I travel, I play the clubs that I normally play.

In a competition, I play the clubs that I shoot my best scores with, typically the ones that I normally play.

In both cases, its 8 clubs.

It makes my normal scramble team buddies mad at first. Then we reviewed a couple of the corporate scrambles we played in and (the most sceptical one) realized that we took the highest percentage of shots (no putts included) from me.

Again, there is no minimum, play what u play best with.

> @danfish13 said:

> Recently discovered the threads on this and have given it a go for a couple of rounds. Absolutely love it! Scores have been the same (oddly literally exactly the same twice!) and the low stress on shot decisions and carry weight give a great feeling of freedom. I've gone with D, 17h, 4, 6, 8, P, 54 & Putter so 8 clubs seems to be sweet spot for me. My golfing companies mostly do not get it all and think i'm going mad.

>

> Couple of questions for you all - if you went away on a golf trip where you were playing 2/3 courses you had never seen do you continue minimalist or go back up to 14? Also, recommendations for a sweet bag with a small stand? Kind of Pencil/sunday size but with a stand for when it gets wet.

That's just about my exact set-up when I go minimalist, except my sw is 56 and I like to throw in my 50 as well for a few more options closer to the hole.

I actually started down the minimalist path because of an upcoming trip to Ireland, among the other usual reasons. Granted, it is not a fully golf-focused trip, but my dad and I are planning to play a few times and the thought was that we could save space and baggage fees by each taking a half set and get them both into one travel bag. If you knew what courses you were going to play you could theoretically look at the scorecards to get an idea on what you might need, especially on the par 3's, but to be honest, how often do they play to the exact number on the card anyway? I think one of the funnest parts about minimalist golf is setting up your bag knowing that your gaps will be larger than normal but that you also have most if not all yardages covered.

I have a Callaway Hyperlite 1+ bag and I love it. It's a smaller Sunday-type bag but has short legs to keep it off the ground. Also has a full length apparel pocket so can carry plenty for me.

> @rt_charger said:

> I really don't see the point of 'minimalist golf'. Why wouldn't you carry your 14 if you can in a competition round? If you can't handle the decision, just frankly, learn to decide.

>

> Side note, what is with all the same bloody threads in the past week regarding this.

>

> Disclaimer: In a practice round, it's not minimalist golf if you don't shoot around the course with just a 7 iron in your hand. If I wanted a fun practice round, that's what I would do. Oh and of course, I'm a huge advocate for the half set practice round.

I hear you on the recent posts, seems like a couple new ones got started and a couple old ones were brought back from the dead.

I don't think many people are arguing for a half set for a tournament or high stakes competition round, although I'm sure some of the more dedicated minimalists would/have done that. I pretty much only play in one "competition" each year - and even that's a scramble. Other than that, 99% of my golf is just to have fun, be it with friends/family or by myself and I think going minimalist is just another way for some people to enjoy the game more or in a different way. Some of my most relaxing rounds this year have been getting out alone as the first one on the course and enjoying the walk with a nice light bag. I have a pushcart I use with my full set, and walking with my minimalist set even seems more "simple" and peaceful than that sometimes.

Alternatively, some people just literally want to lighten the load and be able to enjoy walking the course more.

This game can be so maddening at times that I'm all for whatever everyone wants to do to maximize their enjoyment.

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't think I'd be playing a serious competition with half a set of clubs but I have never played any competitive golf outside the four ball I am with at the time. I think it's just another part of realising that I am not Tiger Woods and I play the game for fun. I agree with what OakRockHacker said about it being a simpler and more relaxing way to enjoy the game. I am definitely way less stressed about a missed shot. Maybe it has coincided with a new attitude towards the game and is only one small part of it.

> @rt_charger said:

> I really don't see the point of 'minimalist golf'. Why wouldn't you carry your 14 if you can in a competition round? If you can't handle the decision, just frankly, learn to decide.

>

> Side note, what is with all the same bloody threads in the past week regarding this.

>

> Disclaimer: In a practice round, it's not minimalist golf if you don't shoot around the course with just a 7 iron in your hand. If I wanted a fun practice round, that's what I would do. Oh and of course, I'm a huge advocate for the half set practice round.

I've played a few rounds with 8 clubs (D, 5w 4, 6, 8, 52, 56, P) and then played with 14 and found myself using the same 8 I used previously just for the comfort and reliance on specific shots. Specifically with my 6 iron and 8 iron regardless of yardage sometimes.

i was curious to why 14 was the number the rule based on. In the article they argued that too many clubs deskilled the game in the early years. I agree to a point that playing with less has helped me develop my game. https://www.linksmagazine.com/why_14_clubs/

This definitely detracts from my new adventure into maximalist golf.

Well, I think that the evolution of distance has led to larger gaps. That's only one piece. Course architecture has changed a lot too.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks it's a ploy to get people to buy 2 $300 fairway woods and a $250 hybrid to ensure they have good gapping.

But, it all comes back to: if you're not playing competitively the play with as many clubs as you'd like; if your playing competitively then 14 is your max, but play with what you want to compete with.

> @OakRockHacker said:

> > @rt_charger said:

> > I really don't see the point of 'minimalist golf'. Why wouldn't you carry your 14 if you can in a competition round? If you can't handle the decision, just frankly, learn to decide.

> >

> > Side note, what is with all the same bloody threads in the past week regarding this.

> >

> > Disclaimer: In a practice round, it's not minimalist golf if you don't shoot around the course with just a 7 iron in your hand. If I wanted a fun practice round, that's what I would do. Oh and of course, I'm a huge advocate for the half set practice round.

>

> I hear you on the recent posts, seems like a couple new ones got started and a couple old ones were brought back from the dead.

>

> I don't think many people are arguing for a half set for a tournament or high stakes competition round, although I'm sure some of the more dedicated minimalists would/have done that. I pretty much only play in one "competition" each year - and even that's a scramble. Other than that, 99% of my golf is just to have fun, be it with friends/family or by myself and I think going minimalist is just another way for some people to enjoy the game more or in a different way. Some of my most relaxing rounds this year have been getting out alone as the first one on the course and enjoying the walk with a nice light bag. I have a pushcart I use with my full set, and walking with my minimalist set even seems more "simple" and peaceful than that sometimes.

>

> Alternatively, some people just literally want to lighten the load and be able to enjoy walking the course more.

>

> This game can be so maddening at times that I'm all for whatever everyone wants to do to maximize their enjoyment.

That to me is what this is about. If you look closely I put minimalist golf in quotes - as if it was a new art movement or the next best thing since sliced bread. I agree, if you just wanna have a hit of this wonderful game, take a few less clubs cause it's lighter or more simple and enjoy! It's common sense really.

All my complaints on this thread are regarding competition rounds and this idea that you'll score better with fewer clubs. The game is hard enough, why would you want to further limit your options and thus minimize your potential to save strokes?

> @rt_charger said:

> > @OakRockHacker said:

> > > @rt_charger said:

> > > I really don't see the point of 'minimalist golf'. Why wouldn't you carry your 14 if you can in a competition round? If you can't handle the decision, just frankly, learn to decide.

> > >

> > > Side note, what is with all the same bloody threads in the past week regarding this.

> > >

> > > Disclaimer: In a practice round, it's not minimalist golf if you don't shoot around the course with just a 7 iron in your hand. If I wanted a fun practice round, that's what I would do. Oh and of course, I'm a huge advocate for the half set practice round.

> >

> > I hear you on the recent posts, seems like a couple new ones got started and a couple old ones were brought back from the dead.

> >

> > I don't think many people are arguing for a half set for a tournament or high stakes competition round, although I'm sure some of the more dedicated minimalists would/have done that. I pretty much only play in one "competition" each year - and even that's a scramble. Other than that, 99% of my golf is just to have fun, be it with friends/family or by myself and I think going minimalist is just another way for some people to enjoy the game more or in a different way. Some of my most relaxing rounds this year have been getting out alone as the first one on the course and enjoying the walk with a nice light bag. I have a pushcart I use with my full set, and walking with my minimalist set even seems more "simple" and peaceful than that sometimes.

> >

> > Alternatively, some people just literally want to lighten the load and be able to enjoy walking the course more.

> >

> > This game can be so maddening at times that I'm all for whatever everyone wants to do to maximize their enjoyment.

> That to me is what this is about. If you look closely I put minimalist golf in quotes - as if it was a new art movement or the next best thing since sliced bread. I agree, if you just wanna have a hit of this wonderful game, take a few less clubs cause it's lighter or more simple and enjoy! It's common sense really.

>

> All my complaints on this thread are regarding competition rounds and this idea that you'll score better with fewer clubs. The game is hard enough, why would you want to further limit your options and thus minimize your potential to save strokes?

>

>

I get where your coming from.

I am playing a competitive round on Saturday. I will be walking and carrying 8 sticks. Why? It's what I play best with right now.

In april I was in a tourney and played with 13. That's what I played with best at that point.

It's not a permanent thing. I typically swap back and forth, it keeps this maddening game fresh for me.

The main thing for me is to walk. Clubs are clubs, getting stuck in a cart for a slow round kills me. I am in the mindset that keeping my weak and feeble mind on walking is better than sitting in a cart. To walk in 95 degree heat in west florida, I need water and less weight... cigars too... cant forget cigars.

> @rt_charger said:

> > @OakRockHacker said:

> > > @rt_charger said:

> > > I really don't see the point of 'minimalist golf'. Why wouldn't you carry your 14 if you can in a competition round? If you can't handle the decision, just frankly, learn to decide.

> > >

> > > Side note, what is with all the same bloody threads in the past week regarding this.

> > >

> > > Disclaimer: In a practice round, it's not minimalist golf if you don't shoot around the course with just a 7 iron in your hand. If I wanted a fun practice round, that's what I would do. Oh and of course, I'm a huge advocate for the half set practice round.

> >

> > I hear you on the recent posts, seems like a couple new ones got started and a couple old ones were brought back from the dead.

> >

> > I don't think many people are arguing for a half set for a tournament or high stakes competition round, although I'm sure some of the more dedicated minimalists would/have done that. I pretty much only play in one "competition" each year - and even that's a scramble. Other than that, 99% of my golf is just to have fun, be it with friends/family or by myself and I think going minimalist is just another way for some people to enjoy the game more or in a different way. Some of my most relaxing rounds this year have been getting out alone as the first one on the course and enjoying the walk with a nice light bag. I have a pushcart I use with my full set, and walking with my minimalist set even seems more "simple" and peaceful than that sometimes.

> >

> > Alternatively, some people just literally want to lighten the load and be able to enjoy walking the course more.

> >

> > This game can be so maddening at times that I'm all for whatever everyone wants to do to maximize their enjoyment.

> That to me is what this is about. If you look closely I put minimalist golf in quotes - as if it was a new art movement or the next best thing since sliced bread. I agree, if you just wanna have a hit of this wonderful game, take a few less clubs cause it's lighter or more simple and enjoy! It's common sense really.

>

> All my complaints on this thread are regarding competition rounds and this idea that you'll score better with fewer clubs. The game is hard enough, why would you want to further limit your options and thus minimize your potential to save strokes?

>

>

You are assuming more clubs = better scores, and for some, that's a false assumption.

I play golf with 9 clubs. Competition, scrambles, 9 holes with friends ... I've got 9 clubs I trust 100%, and I can hit any shot I need to between a putt and a 275 yard drive. My handicap is 3.7, as low as it's been. If you need 7, play 7 ... If you need 14, play 14. But just because a club company (who makes more money when you buy more clubs) tells you everybody needs a 19, 21 and 23 degree hybrid ... Plus a 50, 54 and 58 wedge ... Doesn't mean everybody does.

• Like 1

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

> @tatertot said:

> > @rt_charger said:

> > > @OakRockHacker said:

> > > > @rt_charger said:

> > > > I really don't see the point of 'minimalist golf'. Why wouldn't you carry your 14 if you can in a competition round? If you can't handle the decision, just frankly, learn to decide.

> > > >

> > > > Side note, what is with all the same bloody threads in the past week regarding this.

> > > >

> > > > Disclaimer: In a practice round, it's not minimalist golf if you don't shoot around the course with just a 7 iron in your hand. If I wanted a fun practice round, that's what I would do. Oh and of course, I'm a huge advocate for the half set practice round.

> > >

> > > I hear you on the recent posts, seems like a couple new ones got started and a couple old ones were brought back from the dead.

> > >

> > > I don't think many people are arguing for a half set for a tournament or high stakes competition round, although I'm sure some of the more dedicated minimalists would/have done that. I pretty much only play in one "competition" each year - and even that's a scramble. Other than that, 99% of my golf is just to have fun, be it with friends/family or by myself and I think going minimalist is just another way for some people to enjoy the game more or in a different way. Some of my most relaxing rounds this year have been getting out alone as the first one on the course and enjoying the walk with a nice light bag. I have a pushcart I use with my full set, and walking with my minimalist set even seems more "simple" and peaceful than that sometimes.

> > >

> > > Alternatively, some people just literally want to lighten the load and be able to enjoy walking the course more.

> > >

> > > This game can be so maddening at times that I'm all for whatever everyone wants to do to maximize their enjoyment.

> > That to me is what this is about. If you look closely I put minimalist golf in quotes - as if it was a new art movement or the next best thing since sliced bread. I agree, if you just wanna have a hit of this wonderful game, take a few less clubs cause it's lighter or more simple and enjoy! It's common sense really.

> >

> > All my complaints on this thread are regarding competition rounds and this idea that you'll score better with fewer clubs. The game is hard enough, why would you want to further limit your options and thus minimize your potential to save strokes?

> >

> >

> You are assuming more clubs = better scores, and for some, that's a false assumption.

>

> I play golf with 9 clubs. Competition, scrambles, 9 holes with friends ... I've got 9 clubs I trust 100%, and I can hit any shot I need to between a putt and a 275 yard drive. My handicap is 3.7, as low as it's been. If you need 7, play 7 ... If you need 14, play 14. But just because a club company (who makes more money when you buy more clubs) tells you everybody needs a 19, 21 and 23 degree hybrid ... Plus a 50, 54 and 58 wedge ... Doesn't mean everybody does.

>

It appears you partially misunderstand my point. It's not that more clubs = better scores, of course that's not true. It's that more clubs allows you to save more shots when with fewer, you may lose some. How many times with your 9 clubs have you been in a situation where it calls for a specific shot, yet because of your restricted bag, that shot has become impossible? Yes, to that you say I can play all the shots I need with my 9, but if you had more clubs, that's even more shots that (especially off a low single index) will allow you to get closer to the hole.

Classic example is 4 wedges vs 2, rather than just low loft / high loft, it's full shot/mid bounce/high bouce/low bounce. Rather than just one tee club, it's low controlled shot, high bomber (or fade/draw driver). Rather than stock par 5 attack, it's chase up or high and drop/stop. All these shots are made 10x easier with different clubs. If you then started mix matching all this, the options are endless and will allow to play every possible shot you may need.

I played with a guy who carried driver, 5-pw, couple of wedges and putter - he was off 6 and had tour level iron striking (hit 5 iron something like 210 yards). I asked him why on earth he's not carrying a 3 wood and anything longer than 5 iron - his response was he never goes for par 5's and either hits driver or 5 iron off tee. That right there is why he's a 6 capper and not a scratch marker. If carried a fairway, plus a 3-4 iron he would be able to have chances at eagles and be longer off the tee when driver isn't viable.

To me, the whole argument of carrying less clubs can be likened something in my work:

I am a sound person and work with bands etc. I carry a few extra microphones with me for certain applications because I like them more than what I'd normally use. Most touring and high level colleagues do this and it's standard practice (just like 14 clubs). I know quite a few people who don't do this because they don't want to carry extra gear, can't be bothered and they argue "I can make it sound good with whatever I've got to work with". Sure yeah, it's the mark of someone good at the job, and I could probably do that as well. But, the point is not to purposely force yourself into a potentially bad situation, and bring the tools you like which you know will work for any given application.

It's just about eliminating any variables and making the job as easy as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Went back to the dark side for our captains weekend, loved the weekend and company as it's the best weekend of the year at my club. However, I really didn't enjoy the golf.....add a thunderstorm in the mix on Sunday and got drowned! But I lost the fun, went really competitive and was gutted that I bogied the last 4 holes. Realised why I went minimal in the first place on Sunday night having my meal at the club, not only did I shoot worse but I didn't enjoy it. Having a little break but I'm going back to 7 or 8 clubs and enjoy myself

• Like 1

I've now permanently split my bag in two...

D, 20* FW, 25* H, 7-9-G-LW-Putter

D, 22* H, 6-8-P-S-Putter

I shoot about the same with either... or all together... so it just depends what I feel like doing.

Set #1 is in my ol' faithful camo Hoofer and Set #2 is in my Jones Original (Augusta Green w/ a Masters towel)

I also have two Ping Moonlites I love but the kids are using them now.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

I guess minimalism doesn't need to be ideological. After a couple months with some new additions to the bag I found I just wasn't using 3 or 4 other clubs so now i'm down to a bag of 9: Driver, 3hyb, 5hyb, 5i, 7i, 9i, 50w, 56w, P.

In fact the last two rounds played I didn't use the 5i so I could go down to 8, but I'm just a little nervous about not carrying one.

I'll be headed to myrtle beach at the end of the month for the world am, am taking my 9 club set and going to see how it goes, I've shot my career best round this year with 9 clubs and it seems to travel fairly well, I agree on mot making the game any harder for me it actually seems to make the choices easier, it's either one club or it's not.

905t

steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

eye2 becu

hoganardi baby ben currently

always hoing the next best thing