Who joined a private club this year so far?

Our club was a high end private country club when I joined in 1997. The economy and dip in the golf industry forced us to go to semiprivate in 2012. Thankfully, the high prices being charged the public ($75 per round) haven’t impacted course availability. The greens and grounds budget has taken a huge hit dropping from $750,000 when private to about $200,000 this year. Our daily green speeds when private were 10.5 and are now 8.5. Our fairways have narrowed, our bunkers aren’t what they once were, and the second cut of rough is long fescue. I still get over 100-rounds of golf each year and my dues are under $4000 so I’m okay with the current set up. I miss the private country club days, however.

I visited my brother in law a few weeks ago and got to play a couple of rounds at his private club. Absolutely loved it and could sure see myself joining one. A headhunter recruited him to go work in a city 12 hours away from home. When they started talking money and then told him their affiliation with the club would allow him to join without an initiation fee and modest dues, he started packing his bags!

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

> @tjl48 said:

> Wife and I joined this year. Enjoying it so far. The club was looking for younger members so once we toured they gave us a pretty good deal on the initiation fee. The indoor practice facilities put it over the top for us. Being in MN they will get plenty of use from us.

I'm in ND, at the MN border. If any club had good indoor practice facilities without extra fees, I'd join in a heartbeat.

I was a member of a club for a couple years. It cost $500 per year, could play in mens league and you paid 50% greens fees. Didn't think much of the members but, hey, I was the member of a private club. Full membership was over $6G. They took the $500 club away and haven't been back.

Played recently in a tourney at another course with a guy that bought property on the private course along with the lifetime membership of $60G. I asked him if he ever gets out and plays other courses. He said "No, I have to get my money out of the course." LOL, really?

Met one of my current league partners at this private club under the same $500 membership.

Joined my local private club in the UK in March, absolutely loving it so far. Work and Life commitments mean my opportunities to play 18 holes are limited (4 so far this year) but I'm averaging 9 holes twice a week. Quiet course in great condition that and i can get round 9 in just over an hour. It's perfect for me.

I joined my first national club this year. It's a nice change of pace from my country club and I absolutely love it out there.

Ping G410 - Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60 Stiff
915F 3w
913H (19) - Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY
Titleist AP3 4-PW - Project X 6.5
Vokey SM7 (48, 54 & 60)
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 (2012)

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I joined our first private club in August of last year, so we're just about a year into the new membership. We absolutely love it. No tee times, faster pace of play, facilities are awesome, and the food at the restaurant is fantastic. It's been a great decision thus far.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I just joined a private club yesterday. We’re really excited about it. The course is great and really well taken care of and the social aspects and facilities (fitness center, resort pool, restaurant) are top notch. Plus the membership is pretty young and active in the club and golf.

We just moved to the area and have 2 young children so we feel like this will be good for our kids and our sense of community. They do a ton of youth golf and youth community stuff. The rates are low for what they offer IMO and they gave us pretty decent bonus incentives and an initiation fee reduction to join since we’re <35 years old

• Like 1

> @Loki said:

> I was a member of a club for a couple years. It cost $500 per year, could play in mens league and you paid 50% greens fees. Didn't think much of the members but, hey, I was the member of a private club. Full membership was over $6G. They took the $500 club away and haven't been back.

> Played recently in a tourney at another course with a guy that bought property on the private course along with the lifetime membership of $60G. I asked him if he ever gets out and plays other courses. He said "No, I have to get my money out of the course." LOL, really?

>

> Met one of my current league partners at this private club under the same $500 membership.

LOL!!!!!

You did not think much of the members? Maybe a lot of them did not think much of you either. LOL! Are you some kind of comedian?

Joined a private club this year, haven't been able to make it work. A few reasons being a) everyone hangs out in the smoking bar area afterwards. No can do (severe asthma). b) been away for work quite a bit and c) the biggest - don't like how some of the members, and some members of the board even, have a particular culture and verbiage they use towards new members like myself that took part in a deal that wasn't offered to existing members as an initial membership fee. I get their position, but some of what they said (I was in the room and overheard the discussion at the other end of the bar clearly, and they weren't hiding it) was towards the members themselves and not the board/club that allowed it, was a good way to be sure I (and others) don't stick around next year. A few looked up when he said it, and scanned the room like "oh, are we safe?" I patted the guy I just finished playing with and said "well, I guess that's that." And walked out.

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

> @Imp said:

> c) the biggest - don't like how some of the members, and some members of the board even, have a particular culture and verbiage they use towards new members like myself that took part in a deal that wasn't offered to existing members as an initial membership fee. I get their position, but some of what they said (I was in the room and overheard the discussion at the other end of the bar clearly, and they weren't hiding it) was towards the members themselves and not the board/club that allowed it, was a good way to be sure I (and others) don't stick around next year. A few looked up when he said it, and scanned the room like "oh, are we safe?" I patted the guy I just finished playing with and said "well, I guess that's that." And walked out.

I feel your pain. I had once joined a club on a "deal" they were offering because they were desperate for members. Excellent course, still one of my top 25 favorites. Not long after I joined, I went to the bar for dinner and a drink after my round and ended up sitting next to a board member who not only would not acknowledge me, but complained loudly with the bartender for a half hour about how all these new members had "no skin in the game" and were "flash in the pan" members who wouldn't last. I experienced a lot of similar attitudes and overheard similar comments that summer. A lot of people would say in a negative tone, right after we introduced ourselves and I mentioned that I just joined, "Oh you're one of those people who came in on the deal.' Well I guess the guy in the bar was right, I bailed after the first year.

> @Bonneville85308 said:

> > @Imp said:

> > c) the biggest - don't like how some of the members, and some members of the board even, have a particular culture and verbiage they use towards new members like myself that took part in a deal that wasn't offered to existing members as an initial membership fee. I get their position, but some of what they said (I was in the room and overheard the discussion at the other end of the bar clearly, and they weren't hiding it) was towards the members themselves and not the board/club that allowed it, was a good way to be sure I (and others) don't stick around next year. A few looked up when he said it, and scanned the room like "oh, are we safe?" I patted the guy I just finished playing with and said "well, I guess that's that." And walked out.

> I feel your pain. I had once joined a club on a "deal" they were offering because they were desperate for members. Excellent course, still one of my top 25 favorites. Not long after I joined, I went to the bar for dinner and a drink after my round and ended up sitting next to a board member who not only would not acknowledge me, but complained loudly with the bartender for a half hour about how all these new members had "no skin in the game" and were "flash in the pan" members who wouldn't last. I experienced a lot of similar attitudes and overheard similar comments that summer. A lot of people would say in a negative tone, right after we introduced ourselves and I mentioned that I just joined, "Oh you're one of those people who came in on the deal.' Well I guess the guy in the bar was right, I bailed after the first year.

>

>

It is fascinating that clubs like this exist, let alone survive in any way. I guess that's why they had to offer the deals they did.

Oh and, @Imp, a "smoking bar"? WTF? Was this in a third world country or did you take a time machine back to the 80s? I honestly haven't seen anything like that in 20 years+. I don't even know anyone in my day-to-day life that smokes. I mean, I see people doing it of course but I can't think of a single person that I work with or that I'm friends with that smokes so the idea of a smoking bar is fascinating.

Yeah. They have a couple bars. Downstairs, smoking bar, where most guys hang out. Upstairs is a bar that's part of the restaurant/function room that's open unless there's a function, good place to have a quiet drink, because there's hardly ever anyone there, or people that are, are there to eat lunch/dinner with friends and family (great food BTW), and not be near loud, sweaty, bragging, guys. *shrug*

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

> @pinhigh27 said:

> The whole reason they have to offer deals to begin with is because they aren't doing great financially, for a variety of reasons.

>

> I don't know what having skin in the game means or why I'd want to give a country club more money than I have to. Very stupid.

The "skin in the game" that the loudmouth at the bar was referring to meant that he and his buddies had paid a significant initiation fee when joining years ago, whereas the people who joined when I did were not required to pay such a fee, and some also were in a "young professional" membership category with reduced dues that didn't exist a few years prior.

They're probably just pissed they threw their money away. Initiations for non equity memberships is an inherently stupid concept and the fact that they are variable year to year shows why. If you need more money then raise dues. I have no idea the purpose of an initiation unless you are getting something that can then be resold, as in an equity membership.

It's an attempt to keep people with sunk costs.

When I joined my current club last year, my wife and I got in on a "deal". Basically our dues and minimums start out good for year one, then increase a little in year two, year three and so on until we hit year five when it will be full boat. But I honestly have not had the same experience you mention above where any of the "full paying" members have given me a hard time about it.

Maybe I just haven't overheard anyone say something, or maybe I'm lucky enough to belong at a club where the members aren't jerks about it. I dunno. I would say just roll with it, don't let it bother you.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)