My Paper Tiger journey / 1 year full time golfer job starts Monday 7-1-19

grantc79

> @Railroading13 said:

> My only advice.... Random practice>block practice. Practice how you play

> @2bGood said:

> I spent some time getting to scratch years ago. The one thing that helped me most was being proficient at short putts.

>

> 3 times per week I would attempt to hole 90 - 34" putts out of 100 attempts as the first thing I did for practice. My training was simple - I would use my putter to measure out 5 location around a hole 34" away and then take my time going around the circle 20 times. If I got to ten misses before I got to 90 makes I would start again. Some nights I would never get to practice anything else and ran out of time before I made 90. The great part about this is you get to experience you putting under stress. So may times I would have 2 or 3 attempts left and would need to make them all or start again.

>

> Obviously I got really good at making short putts. Not so obvious is this really free'd up my chipping and lag putting as I had a very large circle to aim for to know I was going to make the putt. This then free'd up my approach shots as I felt getting anywhere near the green would result in a two putt or up & down at worst.

>

> Your results may vary, but for me this was what l look back on as the single best help to lower my cap.

>

>

That's pretty cool

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

Cobra Tec 17, 21, 24 hybrids

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

My short game training regiment so far has been this (looking to do these for at least 8 hours a week):

15's game: Hit 5 easy chips, hit medium chips, hit 5 impossible chips. Everyone that I get inside of a wedge club length is a point. My record so far is 8.

Putting: Long putts of 20-35 feet trying to get each inside gimme range. After hitting 5 putts I back them all out to 4 feet in a circle around the hole and try to make them all before moving on to the next lag putt.

Shag Bag Chipping: Pick targets and hit bump and runs, standard chips, and spinners into each target until I get it inside 3 feet. Once I get it inside 3 feet I stick to the same target but switch to a different shot type.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

> @DavePelz4 said:

> Have you thought about sitting down with a pro, sharing your goal, have him/her do a playing lesson and then have them build out a plan for you to follow? I think they'd jump at the chance to have someone with the time to commit to improving and they can show their long term value.

I'd love to, its definitely on my to do list.

I have a lesson with my long time coach Rob Noel Wednesday, we will discuss it then.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

Good luck with your quest. I'm about your age and got to do this myself back in the post college days. Have fun. My advise is to stay off the range. Get out and play a lot of golf. Learn how to play the game and forget trying to be perfect with your technique. Find guys that can play and learn to play for money. Do not waste time hitting range balls off of mats. Get fit for your equipment and don't be afraid to experiment. My favorite practice technique is to play rounds of golf by yourself, play two balls all the way around. This will give you the opportunity to get in more volume and you get immediate feedback on what works and what doesn't. Have fun.

• Like 2

> @badboggs said:

> Good luck with your quest. I'm about your age and got to do this myself back in the post college days. Have fun. My advise is to stay off the range. Get out and play a lot of golf. Learn how to play the game and forget trying to be perfect with your technique. Find guys that can play and learn to play for money. Do not waste time hitting range balls off of mats. Get fit for your equipment and don't be afraid to experiment. My favorite practice technique is to play rounds of golf by yourself, play two balls all the way around. This will give you the opportunity to get in more volume and you get immediate feedback on what works and what doesn't. Have fun.

A good friend that I play with that regularly beats me stresses this.

The issue is if you are fighting a swing flaw that will create a hook or block off the tee box and mainly play a narrow course thats a huge problem. Being OB both ways or dead in the water kills a score faster than a 3 putt.

Overall I do get your point though and thats my goal once I get rid of a couple of kinks.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

> @badboggs said:

> Good luck with your quest. I'm about your age and got to do this myself back in the post college days. Have fun. My advise is to stay off the range. Get out and play a lot of golf. Learn how to play the game and forget trying to be perfect with your technique. Find guys that can play and learn to play for money. Do not waste time hitting range balls off of mats. Get fit for your equipment and don't be afraid to experiment. My favorite practice technique is to play rounds of golf by yourself, play two balls all the way around. This will give you the opportunity to get in more volume and you get immediate feedback on what works and what doesn't. Have fun.

Merely a difference of opinion, but your swing is going to have to not be far off perfect to get near scratch, which will need very specific and focused practise drills. 4 hours on the course is 4 hours you could have been practising, which is a substantial amount.

I wouldn’t play more than twice a week in your shoes, and that’s with 30 hours spare. Have you got a swing video? Be fun to see the improvements over a year..

My ‘tip’, for what it’s worth.. playing or practising for 30 hours is a lot of stress and strain on elbows and wrists, try swinging in slow motion, 100 yard full swing 7 irons, it’s much easier to get your swing into good positions and sequence and a lot less strain on your joints. Don’t know how many pros or teachers do this or recommend it however..

> @milesgiles said:

> > @badboggs said:

> > Good luck with your quest. I'm about your age and got to do this myself back in the post college days. Have fun. My advise is to stay off the range. Get out and play a lot of golf. Learn how to play the game and forget trying to be perfect with your technique. Find guys that can play and learn to play for money. Do not waste time hitting range balls off of mats. Get fit for your equipment and don't be afraid to experiment. My favorite practice technique is to play rounds of golf by yourself, play two balls all the way around. This will give you the opportunity to get in more volume and you get immediate feedback on what works and what doesn't. Have fun.

>

> Merely a difference of opinion, but your swing is going to have to not be far off perfect to get near scratch, which will need very specific and focused practise drills. 4 hours on the course is 4 hours you could have been practising, which is a substantial amount.

> I wouldn’t play more than twice a week in your shoes, and that’s with 30 hours spare. Have you got a swing video? Be fun to see the improvements over a year..

> My ‘tip’, for what it’s worth.. playing or practising for 30 hours is a lot of stress and strain on elbows and wrists, try swinging in slow motion, 100 yard full swing 7 irons, it’s much easier to get your swing into good positions and sequence and a lot less strain on your joints. Don’t know how many pros or teachers do this or recommend it however..

>

>

Truly amazing the difference in opinions people have. All of my really, really good golfer friends (pro level guys) tell me just practice short game and play golf and don't spend much time on the full swing.

I've always been more in your camp where I will work a lot more on full swing stuff and go out and beat balls a lot but not work as much on short game stuff or on the course management stuff which has lead to me striking the ball like a scratch golfer with an 8 handicap.

Looking at current and former professional players with truly jacked up swings that made millions I'm going to focus a lot less on full swings but the full swings that I do make each one will have a very specific purpose to fix a swing fault.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

You can play your way to scratch but the problem with that is you just learn to manage your flaws but not actually fix them. Time and time again you see posts here asking for help to fix flaws that plagues them when they stop playing so much. So if you can keep play a bunch for the foreseeable future, follow your friends suggestions.

One final thought..the only ones that I have ever seen play scratch golf despite a major “flaw” were golfers that played golf since being a young kid and played a lot while they were kids. All of your pro friends have great swings and probably always had a functional swing so of course they say just practice short game.

• Like 1

> @airjammer said:

> You can play your way to scratch but the problem with that is you just learn to manage your flaws but not actually fix them. Time and time again you see posts here asking for help to fix flaws that plagues them when they stop playing so much. So if you can keep play a bunch for the foreseeable future, follow your friends suggestions.

>

> One final thought..the only ones that I have ever seen play scratch golf despite a major “flaw” were golfers that played golf since being a young kid and played a lot while they were kids. All of your pro friends have great swings and probably always had a functional swing so of course they say just practice short game.

>

>

There are so many pros with less than perfect swings. The pros who perform at the top have the most consistent swing. Look at Furyk who is 11th in scoring average this year. From 2 inches behind the ball to 2 inches in front, his position is near perfect. Kuchar who is 6th in scoring average doesn't have an idea swing. DJ who is 3rd in scoring plays with a cupped wrist. I think managing a consistent swing is way more important than having a perfect swing.

• Like 2

I've always believed the flaw in working on technique in your swing is that people don't really change. Eventually you will go back to what is comfortable and repeatable, especially under pressure. I think your time would be much better spent working on getting fit that practicing on the range. Now, if you have some huge swing flaw that keeps you from improving then sure you need to get that worked out. But if someone can't get down to scratch just by playing every day and learning to score they would never make it very far anyway. I think a person has a talent range and that hard work can get you to the top of your range. Technique might move the range a little but not as much as putting in the time and learning to actually play the game. If you do end up working on the range a lot do not hit off mats and make sure you are always practicing with feedback. BTW, I'm jealous of your journey!

> @grantc79 said:

> > @milesgiles said:

> > > @badboggs said:

> > > Good luck with your quest. I'm about your age and got to do this myself back in the post college days. Have fun. My advise is to stay off the range. Get out and play a lot of golf. Learn how to play the game and forget trying to be perfect with your technique. Find guys that can play and learn to play for money. Do not waste time hitting range balls off of mats. Get fit for your equipment and don't be afraid to experiment. My favorite practice technique is to play rounds of golf by yourself, play two balls all the way around. This will give you the opportunity to get in more volume and you get immediate feedback on what works and what doesn't. Have fun.

> >

> > Merely a difference of opinion, but your swing is going to have to not be far off perfect to get near scratch, which will need very specific and focused practise drills. 4 hours on the course is 4 hours you could have been practising, which is a substantial amount.

> > I wouldn’t play more than twice a week in your shoes, and that’s with 30 hours spare. Have you got a swing video? Be fun to see the improvements over a year..

> > My ‘tip’, for what it’s worth.. playing or practising for 30 hours is a lot of stress and strain on elbows and wrists, try swinging in slow motion, 100 yard full swing 7 irons, it’s much easier to get your swing into good positions and sequence and a lot less strain on your joints. Don’t know how many pros or teachers do this or recommend it however..

> >

> >

>

> Truly amazing the difference in opinions people have. All of my really, really good golfer friends (pro level guys) tell me just practice short game and play golf and don't spend much time on the full swing.

>

> I've always been more in your camp where I will work a lot more on full swing stuff and go out and beat balls a lot but not work as much on short game stuff or on the course management stuff which has lead to me striking the ball like a scratch golfer with an 8 handicap.

>

> Looking at current and former professional players with truly jacked up swings that made millions I'm going to focus a lot less on full swings but the full swings that I do make each one will have a very specific purpose to fix a swing fault.

Make sure to use statistics (rather than subjective things like what it looks like) to judge where to devote your effort. I would say that all of your really good golf friends are amazing ball strikers compared the average 8 handicapper, even if they don't realise it. Try using DECADE or some other SG based approach to shot tracking to get a real grasp for where your effort is needed. If you're only hitting 9 greens a round it is _really_ hard to piece a decent score together. Likewise if you're averaging 12+ its hard to shoot anything more than +3 or 4. Keep updating the thread love your commitment!

• Like 1

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @airjammer said:

> > You can play your way to scratch but the problem with that is you just learn to manage your flaws but not actually fix them. Time and time again you see posts here asking for help to fix flaws that plagues them when they stop playing so much. So if you can keep play a bunch for the foreseeable future, follow your friends suggestions.

> >

> > One final thought..the only ones that I have ever seen play scratch golf despite a major “flaw” were golfers that played golf since being a young kid and played a lot while they were kids. All of your pro friends have great swings and probably always had a functional swing so of course they say just practice short game.

> >

> >

>

> There are so many pros with less than perfect swings. The pros who perform at the top have the most consistent swing. Look at Furyk who is 11th in scoring average this year. From 2 inches behind the ball to 2 inches in front, his position is near perfect. Kuchar who is 6th in scoring average doesn't have an idea swing. DJ who is 3rd in scoring plays with a cupped wrist. I think managing a consistent swing is way more important than having a perfect swing.

They are the exceptions not the rule. For every one of them, I can point to about 1 million who can’t play with the same “fault”. None of these exceptions happen to be in this forum.

There is a balance between practicing and playing and I’m not saying he needs to stay on the range.

I bet he will have more fun during this time playing...I bet he will have more fun in the future if he corrects one major flaw during this time period and still get to play a ton. He’s some of his “golf time” after his kids go to bed, unless his kids are vampires ?what exactly is he going to accomplish playing wise during this time?

> @airjammer said:

>

>

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > @airjammer said:

> > > You can play your way to scratch but the problem with that is you just learn to manage your flaws but not actually fix them. Time and time again you see posts here asking for help to fix flaws that plagues them when they stop playing so much. So if you can keep play a bunch for the foreseeable future, follow your friends suggestions.

> > >

> > > One final thought..the only ones that I have ever seen play scratch golf despite a major “flaw” were golfers that played golf since being a young kid and played a lot while they were kids. All of your pro friends have great swings and probably always had a functional swing so of course they say just practice short game.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > There are so many pros with less than perfect swings. The pros who perform at the top have the most consistent swing. Look at Furyk who is 11th in scoring average this year. From 2 inches behind the ball to 2 inches in front, his position is near perfect. Kuchar who is 6th in scoring average doesn't have an idea swing. DJ who is 3rd in scoring plays with a cupped wrist. I think managing a consistent swing is way more important than having a perfect swing.

>

> They are the exceptions not the rule. For every one of them, I can point to about 1 million who can’t play with the same “fault”. None of these exceptions happen to be in this forum.

>

> There is a balance between practicing and playing and I’m not saying he needs to stay on the range.

>

> I bet he will have more fun during this time playing...I bet he will have more fun in the future if he corrects one major flaw during this time period and still get to play a ton. He’s some of his “golf time” after his kids go to bed, unless his kids are vampires ?what exactly is he going to accomplish playing wise during this time?

We're violently agreeing on how much to play. No one has ever won a tournament on the range. Warm up, play, practice sometimes but the learning takes place when you put it into play so we agree there.

Of course you must have some solid fundamentals but there are countless examples of flawed swings that are repeatable. Bruce Lietzke, God rest his soul, never practiced but had the most consistent, repeatable little fade that he played and won with. Arnie's swing certainly wasn't textbook. Bubba's swing is pretty atypical, Lee Trevino was flat as all get up, Nancy Lopez was upright with a pause and even Ray Floyd would say his swing wasn't pretty but got the job done. All of the above were swings that were repeated over and over again.

> @milesgiles said:

> > @badboggs said:

> > Good luck with your quest. I'm about your age and got to do this myself back in the post college days. Have fun. My advise is to stay off the range. Get out and play a lot of golf. Learn how to play the game and forget trying to be perfect with your technique. Find guys that can play and learn to play for money. Do not waste time hitting range balls off of mats. Get fit for your equipment and don't be afraid to experiment. My favorite practice technique is to play rounds of golf by yourself, play two balls all the way around. This will give you the opportunity to get in more volume and you get immediate feedback on what works and what doesn't. Have fun.

>

> Merely a difference of opinion, but your swing is going to have to not be far off perfect to get near scratch, which will need very specific and focused practise drills. 4 hours on the course is 4 hours you could have been practising, which is a substantial amount.

> I wouldn’t play more than twice a week in your shoes, and that’s with 30 hours spare. Have you got a swing video? Be fun to see the improvements over a year..

> My ‘tip’, for what it’s worth.. playing or practising for 30 hours is a lot of stress and strain on elbows and wrists, try swinging in slow motion, 100 yard full swing 7 irons, it’s much easier to get your swing into good positions and sequence and a lot less strain on your joints. Don’t know how many pros or teachers do this or recommend it however..

>

>

Impact is all that matters. If you are hitting it solid and don't have any glaring misses caused by swing flaws then don't worry too much about how it looks. Took me a while to learn this. I'd like for my swing to look perfect but I've come to terms that it probably just won't and I can still play at a pretty high level with it. Scratch is far from perfect golf. I agree on some of the practice drills, I don't have the patience for reduced speed drills but I know it can ingrain changes.

My advice to OP:

I would be very cautious of the wear and tear aspect for sure, when I was playing nearly every day it was hell on my hands and wrists. I'd agree about avoiding mats, for one a lot of flaws are masked off of mats.

I'd recommend getting to a point where you are comfortable with every club in your bag. If there is a fitting issue causing this to not be the case do what you can to resolve it.

I'm fairly high speed as well, I'd work on getting to a point where your driver is a weapon. Whether this is through a pet shot or just overall confidence, when my driver turned into a weapon where I was confident I would hit it long and in play it really helped me take my game to another level.

Work on consistent contact with the putter from all distances and ingrain speed control. If you are striking putts well it is much easier to adjust when you are not making them, and it is much easier to control speed.

Tons of short game practice. Play around with different shots/face angles, learn to put more or less spin, practice out of all kinds of lies. Learn how the ball is going to react out of various lies. With partial wedges try to develop a system where you have a swing length or feel that produces a certain distance. This really simplified the wedge game for me.

Develop a pre-shot routine that works for you and do it every time.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

> @grantc79 said:

> Short game going a lot better

> Normally with 50% gir I'm high 80s

> Actually getting up and down and making putts helps

I'm sure you already know this, OP, but wow. I have never heard of someone with the ball striking ability to hit 9/18 greens having a short game so bad that it turns it into a high 80s round.

Even today, your stats don't add up to me. You hit 71.4% FIR, 50% GIR, with 31 putts, but only shot an 81 (+9)?

Did you make multiple doubles or worse?

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

> @airjammer said:

> You can play your way to scratch but the problem with that is you just learn to manage your flaws but not actually fix them. Time and time again you see posts here asking for help to fix flaws that plagues them when they stop playing so much. So if you can keep play a bunch for the foreseeable future, follow your friends suggestions.

>

> One final thought..the only ones that I have ever seen play scratch golf despite a major “flaw” were golfers that played golf since being a young kid and played a lot while they were kids. All of your pro friends have great swings and probably always had a functional swing so of course they say just practice short game.

>

>

I’ve never played with any British scratch or better that had a ‘flawed’ swing. Someone mentioned Furyk, DJ and Trevino (and others)..I think furyk and Trevino have very, very sound if unconventional methods. DJ’s obviously works I’m not entirely sure how..massive talent at a guess. Bubba? I’ve seen other guys with similarities that couldn’t break a hundred.

If you are going to devote 30 hours a week to golf why wouldn’t you want to get your swing as technically sound as possible?

There was a post many years ago, on a Gambling website, that suggested a practice plan than enabled a guy whose handicap was 36 to get down to a 6 in one year. That person won something like the Golf Magazine or Golf Digest most improved player of the year. Here was his putting practice routine.

1. This is the three foot drill. Set tees at five points around the hole. Starting at one of the tees you have to go around the circle 5 times without missing. So you have to make 25 putts in a row to complete the drill.

2. Using this three foot circle. Go out to 20 feet from the hole. You have to hit 20 putts in a row inside the three foot circle from 20 feet. Once this is done move back to 30 feet, and finally 45 feet. Once you have completed this task, you can go to your short game practice drills.

3. Change up every other week, so some weeks you are making 25 in a row from 3 feet, and the other 2 weeks you have to make 25 in a row from 5 feet. Also on those weeks, you have to get 30 in a row inside the three foot circle from 20, 30 and 45 feet.

4. You have the option, as you get better and better to make the task more difficult, chose a hole that has a lot of break, one day do the distance drills uphill, another day downhill, another day sidehill. You can ramp of the toughness as you get better and better. Again you have to earn the right to move to the next distance or drill.

• Like 1

> @DLev45 said:

> I'm sure you already know this, OP, but wow. I have never heard of someone with the ball striking ability to hit 9/18 greens having a short game so bad that it turns it into a high 80s round.

>

> Even today, your stats don't add up to me. You hit 71.4% FIR, 50% GIR, with 31 putts, but only shot an 81 (+9)?

>

> Did you make multiple doubles or worse?

Hole 1 got stuck on the collar for a GIR but left myself a 7 foot par putt after leaving the first woefully short. Made Bogey

Hole 2 lipped out a 4 foot birdie putt for par.

Hole 3 short sided bunker on a green running away from me. Out the sand to 20 feet up hill to 4 feet and made a tough side hill putt for bogey.

Hole 4 fairway, green, 2 putt par.

Hole 5 Fairway, pulled left to green short sided down hill again. Hit a brilliant chip that landed just a hair short and 2 putted for bogey.

Hole 6 fairway, GIR missed uphill 14 footer for birdie made my par.

Hole 7 par 5 on in 3 but due to where the hole was cut had to chip off the green over fringe. Got tentative didnt wanna tear up green made bogey.

Hole 8 killed me, blocked it into the water off the tee had to drop 320 out stuck behind trees. Made a double.

Hole 9 par 3 GIR and two putt.

Hole 10 Par 5 routine par.

Hole 11 short on a par 3, left the chip short. Missed uphill putt made bogey.

Hole 12 tee shot into bunker, completely screwed by the lip made double.

Hole 13-15 all pars

Hole 16 par 5 birdie.

Hole 17 long lag putt and tough 6 footer made for par. Was proud of that one.

Hole 18 hole was illegally on a hill literally the ball wouldn't stop. Playing partners had 30 foot come back putts after missing 6 foot down hill putts. Made bogey.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

> @DLev45 said:

Another issue is I have literally practiced putting maybe 30 hours TOTAL in 10 years. I would hit range balls all day and loved it, but didn't do it with a purpose like I should have. That said you hit that many balls you develop decent hands which I did.

In 10 years though, barely any practice putting and minimal practice chipping and even when I did practice I wasn't making the practice mean something. I was just wacking the ball around on the green or with chips.

It wasn't until recently I started actually working hard on practicing right and it has already started to show. Literally every putt I hit today was a good putt other than hole #1 that I 3 putted. Many had a chance to go but they were all quality putts with proper speed.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

> @Juan73 said:

> There was a post many years ago, on a Gambling website, that suggested a practice plan than enabled a guy whose handicap was 36 to get down to a 6 in one year. That person won something like the Golf Magazine or Golf Digest most improved player of the year. Here was his putting practice routine.

> 1. This is the three foot drill. Set tees at five points around the hole. Starting at one of the tees you have to go around the circle 5 times without missing. So you have to make 25 putts in a row to complete the drill.

> 2. Using this three foot circle. Go out to 20 feet from the hole. You have to hit 20 putts in a row inside the three foot circle from 20 feet. Once this is done move back to 30 feet, and finally 45 feet. Once you have completed this task, you can go to your short game practice drills.

> 3. Change up every other week, so some weeks you are making 25 in a row from 3 feet, and the other 2 weeks you have to make 25 in a row from 5 feet. Also on those weeks, you have to get 30 in a row inside the three foot circle from 20, 30 and 45 feet.

> 4. You have the option, as you get better and better to make the task more difficult, chose a hole that has a lot of break, one day do the distance drills uphill, another day downhill, another day sidehill. You can ramp of the toughness as you get better and better. Again you have to earn the right to move to the next distance or drill.

Thats pretty cool.

What I've been doing is hitting putts from 15-40 feet trying to lag them all inside 2 feet. After I hit 5 putts I pull them all back to 4-5 feet and make them all around a circle.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

> @milesgiles said:

> If you are going to devote 30 hours a week to golf why wouldn’t you want to get your swing as technically sound as possible?

>

I don't think anyone is suggesting that you shouldn't as much as they are saying you can have a jacked up swing and killer short game and do well but if your short game and putting is jacked up you won't score well no matter how well you hit it. Everyone is going to miss some greens, wind up in some bunkers, and have long lag putts. If you aren't getting up and down at all and if you can't avoid those 3 putts you can smash it straight all day long.

That said you don't have to choose and I intend to work on both extensively.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

I see a trend here about saying pros spend most of their time on short game (not generally true by the way). The reason they can do that is because they put in INSANE amounts of practice on their long game to the point that striping the ball is now like riding a bike. Bruce Lietzke didn’t just pick up a golf club and hit a repeatable fade the second he took up golf. He built that swing, on a range and the course, practicing more than any of us care to realize.

The best in the world spend a lot of time practicing all parts of their game. Former pros or guys with limited practice schedules generally practice short game because they know they’ll hit the ball solid and somewhat repeatable but need to spend time with the scoring clubs as that will have the biggest impact in the shortest time.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> LOL, if those last pics are of the OP, I dare someone to tell him this won't work!

I think that’s Bruce Koepka.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock