2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Minimalist Bag For The Win

MrBerto327

I am a new member here but have always read here as I am an avid young golfer (play for high school). I have only gotten into the golf competitively the past couple of years, and have gotten better and better every year. I've probably lowered my handicap from a 20 to a 8 in the past 2 years, and I'm only getting better. Anyway, back to the purpose of this thread. I love walking, and I've discovered the huge benefits of carrying a Sunday bag with only 7 clubs or less. I've found that the walk is way easier and more enjoyable, and my scores are always better. Just recently, I shot my best nine-hole round of 37 with my setup. I often interchange what clubs I use, but I have settled on D, 5i, 7i, 9i, GW, SW, P. I feel like there is really a lot to be said for playing like this, as it forces you to commit to shots and be a shotmaker. At first, I was hesitant to try it, but now that I've done it a few times I'm totally hooked. I think everyone could benefit from this style of play. As one of my playing parters who only carries a few clubs said, "How many hammers do you need to hit a nail?" I thought that was pretty smart. That was all a long way of saying that if you haven't given this a try, I would strongly recommend it. I've played my best golf with an old Sun Mountain Sunday Bag with 7 clubs.

Playing with a minimalist set is a lot of fun! I play about half of my rounds with an eight club setup. There is a very long ongoing thread in the equipment part of the forum, dating back to 2013, that is all about minimalist golf. https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/932270/starting-a-new-adventure-minimalist-golf/p1

I leave clubs at home I definitely can’t keep in play 80% plus of the time. Usually means 5 iron as my longest club but I would never play odd / even numbers only. I feel like from 5 iron through to PW it’s best to take all the options available. If you are struggling carrying clubs get a trolley makes things way easier

I'm an old (66) guy, who's been walking golf for over 50 years. Twenty years or so ago, I really got tired of schepping a push cart with 14 clubs, and junk. Got an old original 1970's Jones bag for $2 at a yard sale, whittled down to 5-7 clubs and a few balls, and never looked back.

3w, 5i, 8i, PW, and putter was my selection after reading an article by some British fellow who wrote that us Yanks carry too many clubs. I sometimes add a driver, for 6 clubs. Absolutely, NEVER, more than 7 in Jones (new) bags.

I've played the best golf of my life with the above setup, sub 80 rounds regularly.

Best Wishes!

• Like 2

I have theory golfers would lower scores if they just had

Driver, 4h, 7i, pw, sw, putter

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

I've been all over the map this season and last using wild combos of clubs in various sunday bags. I shot an 81 yesterday using my full bag.... shot an 81 a few days before using 6 clubs. There is certainly something that frees you up mentally when you walk to a ball and know 100% I'm going to hit a certain club (because none of the others have a chance at reaching). But at the same time you get creative with conjuring up shots. I love it....

• Like 2

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

I play one of 3 courses pretty much all of the time. I know I could drop the 3 wood, hybrid, and 5 and 6 irons. I get a lot of use from my 4 iron, and 7 iron through wedges. I could probably axe the two wedges and just play a 56* after the PW - also the 9 iron seldom gets hit. Driver, 4i, 7i, 8i, PW, 56*, Putter - 7 club bag, happy back. I'll try it next round.

• Like 1

In the Wilson Exo II:
Driver - 2017 Taylormade M1
3 wood - 2016 Taylormade M1
7 wood - Callaway XR Steelhead Heavenwood
Irons Staff - Wilson C300 Forged 4-GW
Wedges - Cleveland RTX 4 54* / 58*
Putter - Wilson Staff Infinite Windy City

My set is referred to as manimal. And yes, it can be fun to make a club do something it wasn't designed to do. I need to get more manimal rounds in.

I can't quite match the scores I put up with a full set, but it's fun trying. Probably depends on the course a little....

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

I worked out what I'd need for the par 3's at my course (7i, 9i & 52⁰) a tee club (3w) a higher lofted wedge (56⁰) add in my longest hittable iron (5i) a utility club (4h) and a putter. 8 clubs which I could easily take down to 7 by removing the hybrid.

Hyperlite Zero bag, balls and towel, weighs in at a touch under 12lbs which I can lug around for 18 no worries. Scores, fitness and love for the game have improved.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Modern Minimalist, 10 club set-up, 25 yard gaps between each club: can play any course, tons of fun, focused more, and better scores! Easy to carry in the Sunday bag with a yeti full of bourbon!

Driver Srixon 565 9.5

3-wood Titleist 915 15

2H Titleist 818 h1 19

4 Utility Srixon u65

6 Srixon 565

8 Srixon 765

PW Srixon 965

52 Cleveland rtx-3

60 Cleveland rtx-3

Putter Odyssey tank versa V-line

• Like 1

I can't make myself commit to my minimalist set full-time, but I agree that your mindset becomes more "golf shot" than "golf swing" with the minimalist set. You're forced to think much more about positioning and course strategy and less about scoping the distance and having to hit everything flush. If I know I don't have a "perfect" distance, then I'm more aware of the stroke-eaters (bunkers, short sided misses, etc) and generally play a more relaxed round with very few penalties.

• Like 1

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

> @golfkrzy10 said:

> Modern Minimalist, 10 club set-up, 25 yard gaps between each club: can play any course, tons of fun, focused more, and better scores! Easy to carry in the Sunday bag with a yeti full of bourbon!

> Driver Srixon 565 9.5

> 3-wood Titleist 915 15

> 2H Titleist 818 h1 19

> 4 Utility Srixon u65

> 6 Srixon 565

> 8 Srixon 765

> PW Srixon 965

> 52 Cleveland rtx-3

> 60 Cleveland rtx-3

> Putter Odyssey tank versa V-line

I like the set up with the various models of Srixon irons. I put my set to get similar with a forgiving long iron, workable middle irons and a blade PW. I feel like have the various iron types adds to the flexibility of a minimal bag.

> @Pwood28 said:

> > @golfkrzy10 said:

> > Modern Minimalist, 10 club set-up, 25 yard gaps between each club: can play any course, tons of fun, focused more, and better scores! Easy to carry in the Sunday bag with a yeti full of bourbon!

> > Driver Srixon 565 9.5

> > 3-wood Titleist 915 15

> > 2H Titleist 818 h1 19

> > 4 Utility Srixon u65

> > 6 Srixon 565

> > 8 Srixon 765

> > PW Srixon 965

> > 52 Cleveland rtx-3

> > 60 Cleveland rtx-3

> > Putter Odyssey tank versa V-line

>

> I like the set up with the various models of Srixon irons. I put my set to get similar with a forgiving long iron, workable middle irons and a blade PW. I feel like have the various iron types adds to the flexibility of a minimal bag.

Yeah. I've been this way for over a year, and I doubt I will change anytime soon. it helps with gapping and such, not to mention forgiveness/ high launch/ flight where you want it and playability where you need it. Been playing some of my best golf ever.

• 3 weeks later...

The minimalist bag setup has consumed me for the past several years. I've settled on a TM Burner Superfast 3W/15* for tee shots on par 4/5's, a bazillion years old TechEdge women's 7W/23*, Cobra F-Max 7H, Fly-Z XL 9I/PW, Cleveland SS SW, Putter and orange/vivid green Maxfli Softfli balls. Just hit it, find it again and hit it again. I could ditch the 7 wood and PW and get down to 5. I like OMP (Old Man Pat on YouTube) attitude for playing bogey golf. I stink at golf but love the game too much to quit.

• Like 1

Enough of all the minimalist threads omg lol.

I've said this on every thread regarding this - fewer clubs does not make you play better golf. It's like saying that I'm a better tradesman because I carry less tools.

If you play one course, know what clubs you hit and don't hit, take out the ones you don't and score better: guess what, you've just had a better round, unrelated to what clubs you had in the bag - if extra clubs in the bag is making you question your decisions and play worse, you've got issues.

I carry 14, I stand over my ball and I'll know 100% what type of shot is required and what club I can do it with, no decision making problems there.

At work, I carry a leatherman on me, it gets me through the majority of things I need a tool for. No way am I subbing out a quality, specialized tool for my leatherman when the task requires it, that's just lunacy.

By all means, play fewer if it' more convenient for you (carry bag, less effort , practice round , etc). Hell, I'd have a practice round with just a 7 iron. Just don't go thinking it makes you play better in a proper round.

> @badgermat said:

> > @rt_charger said:

>

> > By all means, play fewer if it' more convenient for you (carry bag, less effort , practice round , etc). ****, I'd have a practice round with just a 7 iron. Just don't go thinking it makes you play better in a proper round.

>

> What's a "proper" round?

>

> bm

A serious round, in competition or one that counts to your handicap.

> @rt_charger said:

> > @badgermat said:

> > > @rt_charger said:

> >

> > > By all means, play fewer if it' more convenient for you (carry bag, less effort , practice round , etc). ****, I'd have a practice round with just a 7 iron. Just don't go thinking it makes you play better in a proper round.

> >

> > What's a "proper" round?

> >

> > bm

>

> A serious round, in competition or one that counts to your handicap.

I gotta say, minimalist (or whatever)....

Worst quote of the year.

Most golfers on this PLANET dont even carry a handicap. It's a GAME! if someone jumps out on the course with 1 club or 24 clubs, just enjoy it.

> @Ivyguy said:

> > @rt_charger said:

> > > @badgermat said:

> > > > @rt_charger said:

> > >

> > > > By all means, play fewer if it' more convenient for you (carry bag, less effort , practice round , etc). ****, I'd have a practice round with just a 7 iron. Just don't go thinking it makes you play better in a proper round.

> > >

> > > What's a "proper" round?

> > >

> > > bm

> >

> > A serious round, in competition or one that counts to your handicap.

>

> I gotta say, minimalist (or whatever)....

>

> Worst quote of the year.

>

> Most golfers on this PLANET dont even carry a handicap. It's a GAME! if someone jumps out on the course with 1 club or 24 clubs, just enjoy it.

>

>

.... And this was exactly NOT who I was directing my comments at. I couldn't care about the average joe enjoying the game with whatever sticks they want - if you had actually read what I'm talking about, you would realize my comments are directed to people who believe that playing less clubs in competition, or handicap, or anything more than having fun rounds, will make you play better, somehow.

> @rt_charger said:

> > @Ivyguy said:

> > > @rt_charger said:

> > > > @badgermat said:

> > > > > @rt_charger said:

> > > >

> > > > > By all means, play fewer if it' more convenient for you (carry bag, less effort , practice round , etc). ****, I'd have a practice round with just a 7 iron. Just don't go thinking it makes you play better in a proper round.

> > > >

> > > > What's a "proper" round?

> > > >

> > > > bm

> > >

> > > A serious round, in competition or one that counts to your handicap.

> >

> > I gotta say, minimalist (or whatever)....

> >

> > Worst quote of the year.

> >

> > Most golfers on this PLANET dont even carry a handicap. It's a GAME! if someone jumps out on the course with 1 club or 24 clubs, just enjoy it.

> >

> >

>

> .... And this was exactly NOT who I was directing my comments at. I couldn't care about the average joe enjoying the game with whatever sticks they want - if you had actually read what I'm talking about, you would realize my comments are directed to people who believe that playing less clubs in competition, or handicap, or anything more than having fun rounds, will make you play better, somehow.

I think you're missing the point a little bit. It would seem that for the majority of those who employ it, the so called minimalist set is more about lightening the bag and the enjoyment of walking the round. The fact that some are finding that their scores aren't really affected or, in some cases, actually lower isn't the primary motivation for carrying less clubs.

That being said, I've yet to see anyone compete in anything worth my time with less than 13 or 14 clubs in the bag. To suggest that a minimalist set up is somehow an alternative, yet legitimate, avenue to serious amateur competitive golf is just silly. It's kind of like the people on here telling 20 handicaps to "go try blades, you might shoot lower scores." Yeah, it's misinformed and silly, but who cares. This is a message board, it's full of misinformation, unfortunately.

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

> @rt_charger said:

> Enough of all the minimalist threads omg lol.

>

> I've said this on every thread regarding this - fewer clubs does not make you play better golf. It's like saying that I'm a better tradesman because I carry less tools.

>

> If you play one course, know what clubs you hit and don't hit, take out the ones you don't and score better: guess what, you've just had a better round, unrelated to what clubs you had in the bag - if extra clubs in the bag is making you question your decisions and play worse, you've got issues.

>

> I carry 14, I stand over my ball and I'll know 100% what type of shot is required and what club I can do it with, no decision making problems there.

>

> At work, I carry a leatherman on me, it gets me through the majority of things I need a tool for. No way am I subbing out a quality, specialized tool for my leatherman when the task requires it, that's just lunacy.

>

> By all means, play fewer if it' more convenient for you (carry bag, less effort , practice round , etc). ****, I'd have a practice round with just a 7 iron. Just don't go thinking it makes you play better in a proper round.

That's like, your opinion man.

I mean seriously, some of us like to play minimalist golf and some of us have even found some benefits to it. Don't see how or why you think you're qualified to comment on the impact it has on someone else's game. It's not your thing, that's cool, 99% of threads here aren't about minimalist golf so I'd suggest frequenting those. Because in the minimalist golf threads we're going to talk about minimalist golf. It's not for everyone and if you don't like it you can pretty easily avoid it by not clicking on those threads. Same way I don't click on the "I wish I could carry 15 or 16 clubs" threads.

I don't play competitive golf, don't think I've read much about competitive golf in the minimalist threads (maybe one or two tournament players have chimed in). I play golf the way that gives me the most enjoyment because that is the only reason I play :)

• Like 3

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

> @rt_charger said:

> Enough of all the minimalist threads omg lol.

>

> I've said this on every thread regarding this - fewer clubs does not make you play better golf. It's like saying that I'm a better tradesman because I carry less tools.

>

> If you play one course, know what clubs you hit and don't hit, take out the ones you don't and score better: guess what, you've just had a better round, unrelated to what clubs you had in the bag - if extra clubs in the bag is making you question your decisions and play worse, you've got issues.

>

> I carry 14, I stand over my ball and I'll know 100% what type of shot is required and what club I can do it with, no decision making problems there.

>

> At work, I carry a leatherman on me, it gets me through the majority of things I need a tool for. No way am I subbing out a quality, specialized tool for my leatherman when the task requires it, that's just lunacy.

>

> By all means, play fewer if it' more convenient for you (carry bag, less effort , practice round , etc). ****, I'd have a practice round with just a 7 iron. Just don't go thinking it makes you play better in a proper round.

I agree here dude, I never understood the whole "be a shotmaker" thing. You can make shot WITH ANY CLUB, not just the odds or the evens or just one wedge etc..... Most folks would benefit from "making shots" on the range ad then employing them with a full bag. 14 clubs help, not hurt.

Callaway Paradym 9* PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 60 6.0

Callaway Paradym 15* - PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 70 6.0

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 3 HB 20* - Tensei White 85 S

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-PW - DG 105 S300

Vokey SM9 50* - 54* - 58* - TT Wedge 

Odyssey White Hot OG 2 Ball

Titleist ProV1