How Do You Go About Picking a 3 Wood?

kcd38

Recently, it seems like 3 woods have been drifting more toward driver replacements. For some people that are super long with their driver or just hit 3 wood better off a tee, these are probably great changes. I noticed when I was testing 3 woods I wanted the opposite.

I wanted my driver to be a low spin monster and have my three wood be able to go after greens from the fairway with some height/spin for stopping power. For that reason I preferred a lower profile and not a super low launch shaft.

Wanted to see what the thoughts were around this trend and how you guys go about picking a 3 wood or any other wood.

I go to my fitter, tell them what I'm looking for and why. Test and I have the club I'm after.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I would buy 6 different 3 woods from 2010 to 2017 models and just hit them over a summer and one will emerge. Most people would say get fit though....

• Like 1

Dr: LTDx LS 9 Paderson Velocity D20
FW: LTDx 14.5 Accra FX200F m3
FW: Radspeed 18.5 Motore F3 Regular 
Irons: Forged UT 24 hzrdus 5.5; 6-gw Pro 223 5.5 LZ
Wed: RTX-6 56.12 60.06
PT: 2014 Scotty Newport 1/500 custom

> @golfschnell said:

> for your stated needs, I would consider a 4 wood when you are getting fit

Recent golf research shows that the average golfer can hit a 4W more reliably - and sometimes longer - than a 3W. The 4W has a couple of extra degrees of loft which aids launch, and a slightly shorter shaft to aid control.

On shaft length, check the specs of models you're considering. The TaylorMade models have a 3W/HL (high launch) which has a loft a 16.5° or 17° (4W for most other OEMs). It has, however, a 3W length shaft (usually 43"). Tour Edge has an EXS model with clubs labeled 3Ws that come in 13 °, 15° and 17° lofts, but all with 43" shafts.

Personally, I am in season #8 for using 4W + 7W. A 7W has some distance separation, and is superb out of medium rough and can hold greens on longish par 3 holes.

And, get fit. The idea of buying six used 3W and hoping for the best is an excellent way to blow a season and have nothing to show for it.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

> @ChipNRun said:

> > @golfschnell said:

> > for your stated needs, I would consider a 4 wood when you are getting fit

>

> Recent golf research shows that the average golfer can hit a 4W more reliably - and sometimes longer - than a 3W. The 4W has a couple of extra degrees of loft which aids launch, and a slightly shorter shaft to aid control.

>

> On shaft length, check the specs of models you're considering. The TaylorMade models have a 3W/HL (high launch) which has a loft a 16.5° or 17° (4W for most other OEMs). It has, however, a 3W length shaft (usually 43"). Tour Edge has an EXS model with clubs labeled 3Ws that come in 13 °, 15° and 17° lofts, but all with 43" shafts.

>

> Personally, I am in season #8 for using 4W + 7W. A 7W has some distance separation, and is superb out of medium rough and can hold greens on longish par 3 holes.

>

> And, get fit. The idea of buying six used 3W and hoping for the best is an excellent way to blow a season and have nothing to show for it.

The 915F range also does this. They have a 16.5 three wood. I've just picked one up for $50 and put an original Bi-Matrix in it at stock 43' length even though I take my clubs 1/2' over. It's a lowish profile head but the loft really helps with hitting down on it and launching.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

I bought a 3 wood based on whichever low spin combo I could get the best value out of because I've tested 10 3 woods and can't decide between any of them. went with TS3 and stock shaft in an 80 gram weight class with x-flex, added bonus they fit for the proper swing weight I like. The M5 was my favorite but with the correct shaft and specs it would have run me over $700 and I wasn't about to be paying that for a 3 wood that I rarely hit when my $300 one is just as good.

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM9 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI Black Onyx X100

Vokey SM9 Jet Black 54.10 S - TT DG TI Black Onyx S400

Vokey SM9 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI Black Onyx S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

This is why I still game a TaylorMade Aeroburner HL. Even though it's 16.5 degrees, I line up left and try to hit high fades with it. I feel like I really try to hit down with it and it still jumps up in the air, and it usually goes between 240-260, which is perfect for getting up near the green on a par 5.

Whenever I think I might be ready to replace it, I hit a beauty that reminds me why I have kept it for so long. I think 16.5 is the perfect loft for someone looking to hold greens and not replace their driver.

Driver: Ping G430 Max (Ventus Velocore TR Red 6x)

4W: Titleist Tsi2 16.5* (Hazardus Smoke RDX 70)

7W: Titleist 910 21* (UST Mamiya Attas 75)

Irons: Handmade Stix LB-1 4-PW (Dynamic Gold X100)

Wedges: 50*, 54* & 60* Vokey SM9 (Dynamic Gold S400)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

> @wrm2120 said:

> This is why I still game a TaylorMade Aeroburner HL. Even though it's 16.5 degrees, ...

I have the Aerob's older brother, 16.5 RBZ Stage.2 3W/HL, in my backup bag.

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

Ψ  Backups:

Are you going to carry a 5 wood? I do and with that in mind my 3 wood has to perform several tasks. It has to be a viable option off the tee, I have to be able to flight it up or down and left or right. My current gamer is likely never coming out of the bag since it does all those things and is very forgiving.

My 5 wood is asked to to totally different things. It is mostly used when extra height is required and out of tough lies since it is fairly small and has a v-type sole and two rails. I also rarely hit 5 wood off the tee.

• Like 1

Driver: PING G410 9 Tensei CK-Pro Raw Orange AV 65 Stiff

3 Wood: PING Rapture 13 Ping TFC 949 Stiff

5 Wood: PING G410 18 Fuji Atmos TS Black 7

Hybrid: PING G25 20, 23, 27 TCF 189H Stiff

Irons: PING Eye I25 6-PW CFS Stiff

Wedges: PING MB 52, 56, 60 CS-Lite Stiff

Putter: Bobby Grace ARSE Kicker

> @ChipNRun said:

> > @golfschnell said:

> > for your stated needs, I would consider a 4 wood when you are getting fit

>

> Recent golf research shows that the average golfer can hit a 4W more reliably - and sometimes longer - than a 3W. The 4W has a couple of extra degrees of loft which aids launch, and a slightly shorter shaft to aid control.

>

> On shaft length, check the specs of models you're considering. The TaylorMade models have a 3W/HL (high launch) which has a loft a 16.5° or 17° (4W for most other OEMs). It has, however, a 3W length shaft (usually 43"). Tour Edge has an EXS model with clubs labeled 3Ws that come in 13 °, 15° and 17° lofts, but all with 43" shafts.

>

> Personally, I am in season #8 for using 4W + 7W. A 7W has some distance separation, and is superb out of medium rough and can hold greens on longish par 3 holes.

>

> And, get fit. The idea of buying six used 3W and hoping for the best is an excellent way to blow a season and have nothing to show for it.

Great point. When picking my 3 wood I made sure it was adjustable for this reason. I can go up and down a degree and a half which, but gapping wise the standard loft works great for me. That is why to me the low profile is so important. It gives me more confidence hitting a 14.5 degree 3 wood. For reference, I also have a 3 hybrid in place of a 5 wood. I found that I was better with the hybrid from the rough.

I go to a fitter that has a lot of club head options. I find it difficult to get a good 3-wood because they are not easy to hit well and they usually either go long, but suck to hit off the deck or they hit off the deck well, but don't go as long as I would like.

So that's why I try to get as many head options as I can to find the best one for me. Then I go to Fujikura and get fitted for a shaft.

I also find that 3-wood heads wear down much more quickly than driver heads. So you finally get a head you like and after a short while it's not performing like it once did and the new model heads come in.

RH

> @ChipNRun said:

4W + 7W = correct answer.

TSi2 | D, 4W, 4H | TENSEI AV RAW White

ZX5 | 5I | MMT 

ZX7 | 6I-PW | MMT

SM8 | 52.12F, 58.12D | MMT

Newport 2

WITB

I fall more into the first example. Driver is too long in some spots, so 3 wood for me was a 2nd tee club that I could stay short of trouble or give myself a good yardage with. I have found that I rarely have a situation where a shot that I would feel comfortable hitting into a green that I would feel comfortable taking the risk with a 3 wood. Most of the courses I play either have too much trouble around the par 5s to go after or they are short enough that 3 hybrid (19 degrees) is enough club for me to go at them (assuming a good Driver from the tee).

For this reason, I actually took 3 wood out of the bag and replaced with the Original One mini driver. It added 10 yards over my old 15 degree 3 wood and the larger face has a lot more forgiveness. I haven't had a chance to hit it from the deck on the course yet, but if the front of the green were fairly open, I would give it a run from the deck. This works for me because the 3 wood spot is a tee club for me and the hybrid is the longest fairway club I carry.

> @kcd38 said:

> > @ChipNRun said:

> > Personally, I am in season #8 for using 4W + 7W. A 7W has some distance separation, and is superb out of medium rough and can hold greens on longish par 3 holes.

> >

> ... For reference, I also have a **3 hybrid** in place of a 5 wood. I found that I was better with the hybrid from the rough.

You must have better clubhead speed than me. I have trouble with 3H out of summer rough. Along with 7W, I carry a 4H. In colder weather, when the rough is thinner and the wind is higher, I swap out the 7W for a 3H.

Ψ  Backups:

I'm more about what shaft is in it than anything else. I've never come across an OEM and some boutique 3wds that didn't perform for me. Once you have a ball park of what works for you, its easy pickings. I've been more or less a Diamana BB/Kai'Li guy for like 10+ years, never failed me.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

My 3 wood requirements are pretty similar to what everyone has posted. Needs to be VERY reliable off the tee when driver would be too long, and have to be comfortable with hitting it off the deck if trying to reach long par 5. I really have never had a 3 wood that I 100% trusted and had a comfort level with from the tee box, until now. This probably comes down to finding proper shaft (getting fit), but I really love the Epic Flash sub zero 3 wood. I find myself hitting it from the tee more than ever now, if there is a remote chance driver can get me in trouble, and my scores have been more consistent. I generally will only hit a 3 hybrid into par 5’s to avoid the potential big number but have used the new 3 wood for a few approach shots with success. The right fairway head matters for sure, but finding the right shaft and weight has been a game changer.

Titleist TsR3 10* w/Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

Callaway Epic Flash sz 15* /Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7s

Titleist Tsi2 hybrid 18* /GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Titleist T-100s 4-GW /PX Lz 6.0

Titleist SM9 54-12d, 60-10s /PX Lz 6.0

Bettinardi BBzero

Getting fit is the first correct answer. But when your trying to get a 3w, what exactly do you want it for?

Tee shots only, then maybe open up the search for a mini driver in a 12-14* head. I have a Aeroburner 12* mini that is killer for short tight courses.

If it is to play as a FW, or multiple shots. Find one that is easy to launch off the turf. That has so much to do with the shaft as it does the head. with a 3w, im not looking for a super low spin but what that has the launch and carry distance I am looking for. I have hit longer FW's, but none more accurate than in my current bag.

A good spot to start IMO is the Rogue FW's from Callaway, the standard glue in model. Easy to launch, looks great and it goes a long ways.

Ping g430 LST Hulk Green
Ping g430 LST 3w ventus Red
TSR2 5w Kai'Li White

Stealth 2 (3 & 4)Hybrid Ventus Red TR HB

Mizuno HMP 6-pw i110 Steelfiber

CBX 48
RTX6 54/59 DG
LAB MEZZ.1 Max Accra Shaft

Bridgestone Tour B XS

For me picking a 3 wood is all about feel and trajectory (if I don't hit it reasonably high I will lose distance). This spring I went about replacing my fairway woods and while I really, really wanted to go with the new Cobra F9, I just couldn't hit it well. A couple sessions in the GG hitting bays and it was clear that the Callaway Epic Flash fit my swing best (also tried Ping & TM). Didn't need to manipulate anything to get nice high, long, shots. Shaft (evenflow) just felt right (weight + loading).

For me, a 3 wood is 90% about use off the deck. I almost only use for when I need to go for par 5's in 2. If I need a fairway finder I drop down to the 5 wood or even 4 hybrid. I don't find I hit the 3 wood that much straighter than my driver off a tee (probably just don't practice it enough). If I go down 1-2 more clubs my % of fairways hit goes up considerably. So a 3 wood for me is all about trying to rip one 250-260 off the deck.

@kcd38 I've found for me that when trying to find the right amount of spin and height I got with a mid-low launch/low spin shaft in the brand's more forgiving head if they have two (M4 over M3, TS2 over TS3, Flash over Sub Zero) and it seems to be a good recipe for launch, forgiveness and stopping power

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

I don't change fairway woods often, been there done that. It takes alot of time to make a change permanent. And yes, some resales, to find the right one. The woods that I have now that checks all the boxes, are the Tour Edge Exotics CBX 119's. And because these perform for my game, is NOT an endorsement for your game. Individual swings are

too different. I tried two other 3 woods before this purchase. But I can say, These CBX 119's are the

keepers for me. Have the 3 and 5 woods, in play and will not be changing anything . Updating fairway woods is a job.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

I typically use the 3 wood off the tee, I have a difficult time getting good height when hitting it from the fairway. I am in the process of building a 5 wood and going to test it out going for par 5's from the fairway.

Too add more confusion for you, take a look at the results these guys came up with when testing different lofts of fairway woods. Some of the discussion can be boring, but looking at the results was interesting.

SIM 9.75* - Diamana DF 60X | SIM 15* - Diamana D+ 70X | SIM 19* - Diamana D+ 80X | ZX7 - shafts TBD | Zipcore 50/54/58 S400 | NP2 Button Back

Similar to previous post Epic Flash has been the winner for me, I have left at 15 def but increasing loft 1 deg made a huge launch impact. I could happily play that way but am enjoying the slightly lower trajectory.

Ping G400 SFT 10 deg
Callaway Epic Flash 15 deg
Srixon H65 22 deg
Wilson Staff FG Tour V6 4-PW (Nippon 950 GH)
Hogan TK Wedges 49/53/57
Ping Zing

My main requirement is that my 3 wood has to do double duty. I prefer hitting 3 wood off the tee, but I also carry a driver. If I can’t hit my 3w off the deck, I’m wasting a bag slot.

With this in mind, I recently swapped out my old cobra amp cell 3w. It was great and long off the tee, but the head shape didn’t let me comfortably hit shots off the deck. I had it set at 15 degrees.

My replacement was a new cobra F8 in the standard head and set at 15.5 degrees. It’s been wildly successful so far. I’m hitting great shots off the deck, and haven’t lost a step from the tee—I’m actually a few yards longer. Just played Bethpage Black with it, and it was a major asset when it came to keeping my ball in play and making a long and straight second shot on the boatload of long par-4s.