2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

No new Ft-3 soon?

keyser

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally hope they stick with it a little while longer. It's been doing just fine in the hands of their staff players. Even more, I say enough with the 6-month product cycles, already, especially considering that EVERYTHING is already 460cc or pretty close. Equipment manufacturers should spend the extra time in R&D and then release something that's worth holding onto for more than a year, eh?

I agree that there is nothing more annoying than companies coming out with new stuff all the time, like Taylor Made. But I see room for lots of improvement in the FT-3, they could make the face MUCH bigger for one. And they could make it the head MUCH deeper, and have a lower deeper CG.

For them to do this withouth breaking the 469cc limit they´d have to do something like the Speeds, which have a slanting "fast back" crown, or the Hi-Bore which is even more extreme.

With the Fusion technolgy Callaway can move more weight around than anyone, and the no hosel gives them even more weight(and slightly more shaft flex area), and robot testing suggests that their face is hotter than other drivers... that´s why I´d like to see them put out something new.

I agree that there is nothing more annoying than companies coming out with new stuff all the time, like Taylor Made. But I see room for lots of improvement in the FT-3, they could make the face MUCH bigger for one. And they could make it the head MUCH deeper, and have a lower deeper CG.

For them to do this withouth breaking the 469cc limit they´d have to do something like the Speeds, which have a slanting "fast back" crown, or the Hi-Bore which is even more extreme.

With the Fusion technolgy Callaway can move more weight around than anyone, and the no hosel gives them even more weight(and slightly more shaft flex area), and robot testing suggests that their face is hotter than other drivers... that´s why I´d like to see them put out something new.

Point taken. I guess I was just rooting for Callaway trying to set a different trend among major OEMs. From what you're saying, though, it genuinely sounds like there's room for change.

Well everyone would gain from a bigger face, which would give a bigger high COR area(noone hit´s that in the center everytime), and they would give a larger zone with ideal spin(not just the top portion of the head), and you could get the high COR area closer to the ideal spin area .. all of this would result in longer straighter drives on average, and even center impacts would be longer(which is why even the best of tour pros are turning to 460cc´s).

The current head size might be "fine", but IMO the shape design of the Hi-Bore, Speeds and Sasquatch is one step ahead, but even all of them can also be improved IMO. I´d personaly like to see Callaway come out with an extreme design like this, and maybe still have the FT-3 that´s out there now, that has a more traditional look. Kinda like Cleveland have the Launcher´s along with the hibore. That way the folk´s that don´t like the odd shapes could still have their cup of tea, and those that already have the FT-3 wouldn´t be as pissed at Callway for the update.

Hey! What's that you say Mrs. Robinson? Mickleson just (well recently enough) won the Masters with the FT-3. And now it's not good enough.

But I do see where you guys are coming from. Personally though, I don't really like any of the Callaway products except for the balls (HX Tour 56 in particular) and the wedges because they are so like my Clevelands.... I wonder why... :P

Josh

What will the name under Ft-4 be on their next driver? (Ft-3 Big Bertha Fusion, ERC Fusion). Here are some suggestions Callaway...

FT-4 Warbird Fusion

FT-4 Great Big Berha Fusion

FT-4 Biggest Big Bertha Fusion

FT-4 HX Fusion

I like warbird best though. They need a putter with fusion as well. Could be good if done well.

The FT-3 hit retail late last spring for most. Full release was in early summer. I agree with the price point being a bit high for most. Between that and the sound of impact it has put off many comsumers. Too bad becuase it is an awesome stick. I love mine. I will say this though. Mine doesn't have a dead sound at impact. I think if you have the ss and hit it in the sweet spot it's sounds much louder and is NOT muted. The tour also sounds different from the regular. Same in the X 460.

They will really have to come out with something special to top it though. It's won 3 of the last 4 majors and has won numerous times this year already on the pga and european tours. Tough act to follow.

What will the name under Ft-4 be on their next driver? (Ft-3 Big Bertha Fusion, ERC Fusion). Here are some suggestions Callaway...

FT-4 Warbird Fusion

FT-4 Great Big Berha Fusion

FT-4 Biggest Big Bertha Fusion

FT-4 HX Fusion

I like warbird best though. They need a putter with fusion as well. Could be good if done well.

I honestly don't see them moving to a four-weight system. What would they do, have More Draw, Slight Draw, Slight Fade, More Fade??? I just don't see it happening, three weight configurations is plenty without having movable weights.

Vapor Pro 9.5° Aldila Tour Green 65 TX
VR Pro Ltd 15º Fubuki Tour 73 X
Idea Pro 18º VS Proto 80 X
Vapor Pro Combo (3-5) Blade (6-PW) C Taper 130 X
RTX 4 Raw 54°/60° DGTI S400
Byron Morgan 006 Stainless

I always thought the name "FT-3" just meant "Fusion Technology, Ver. 3", not 3 weights or configurations. You had the original ERC Fusion, then the tour-only FT-2, and then the FT-3. I don't think the "3" in the name has anything to do with how many options it has. Its just the 3rd major version of a Fusion head design. So, if that IS the way, then yes, FT-4 would be the next subsequent step in naming them.

Hilg

The 3 refers to the number of weight configurations/trajectories, Draw, Neutral, and Fade. The FT-2 had two weight pads, but Callaway decided to go with the three weight/three trajectory design. The FT-2 was only a prototype made for testing when they were designing the club that became the FT-3, but it never made it to retail (I wouldn't call it a major version if it was only a prototype). With that in mind, the next driver in the Fusion line will be the third offering, not the fourth (ERC Fusion, FT-3 B.B. Fusion, _________ Fusion). I say they'll only call it the FT-4 if they add another weight pad, hence adding another trajectory option which i think will simply overwhelm the consumer (what more do you need than the existing options?).

I see your point but in my opinion the FT-2 doesn't fit in the "sequence." It's just a prototype club that happened to gain some publicity. Imagine how many other protos they had to have come up with. Do you consider your 905R the third (S, T, and R) or like the eighth driver in the 905 series (due to all the protos like C, M, Z, and whatever else they made and issued to tour pros)? I just don't see why Callaway would base their marketing on a club that 99% of the public has never even heard of.

The only difference between the FT-2 and FT-3 was shape and size. Both had the same number of internal weights. I had both---to my eye the FT-2 had a more pleasing shape but was smaller. Since the trend was going to 460 callaway made the right marketing decision. The FT-2 sounded closer to the original (not good) as opposed to the aluminum bat sound of the FT-3.

I hit my FT-3 straight down the middle 375 all day, into the wind or uphill. I can draw or fade on command, this club goes anywhere I tell it to. Sorry, just wanted to sound like the average internet club reviewer. Truth is I miss 2 fairways for every 3 I hit. But the FT will never outsell the X because of price, looks, sound, and some casual players stay away from the technology. But I agree with whoever said this club should not be replaced becasue there is nothing that can top it yet technology-wise. FT-3 still has some majors in it's future, I'd give it another year after this one. Look for a major redesign for the 2008 golf season.

Callaway Paradym  9*  Kai Li White
Callaway Paradym  15*  Kai Li Red

Callaway Paradym  20*  Kai Li Red

Ping G425  22*  Alta CB
Ping G425  26*  Alta CB

Ping G425  30*  Alta CB
Ping G425   7 - SW   KBS C-Taper Lite
Odyssey Tank Marxman
Callaway ERC Soft Yellow