ATTN: Nike Golf

> @LeoLeo99 said:

> > @Svang5 said:

> > What is "GOAT" ? Is this an acronym?

>

> Google not working at your house?

Hahahaha. That’s great.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

> @smashdn said:

> > @mallrat said:

> > So much false information in this thread.

> >

> > First, it’s not young guys running it but it is young doing a lot of the work. About 2 years ago they combined golf, SB and tennis with the higher ups coming over from or having been a large part of Jordan and the SB line. They laid off many of the golf insiders and people who truly follow the game.

> >

> > 2nd, they were going to ride Tiger as long as humanly possible but his questionable health and limited schedule required a lot of question marks. Inside Nike, Tiger is not a hassle to do deal with, he treats many people there very well. Now he has been forced, in the past, to update equipment, but at that level not sure that is being difficult.

> >

> > 3, Tiger looks clean and presentable because of his tailor and desire not to give into the modern trends (I have never tried on a pair of pants and thought “these would look so much better if you could see my ankles”

> >

> > 4, be curious to see how the TW stuff plays out. A LOT of shops went heavy on the mock neck garbage and have it sitting in stock that they won’t be able to sell.

>

> Can you clarify some of your points please?

>

> 1) Who or what is SB?

> 2) You say, "Inside Nike, Tiger is not a hassle to do deal with, he treats many people there very well." I don't follow you here. I think you are saying Tiger is easy to deal with but yet it seems Nike is not putting out items that he is actually using on the course.

> 3) I think I agree with you here. Someone at Nike pushed the jeggings they had Rory and J. Day wearing. Glad someone refused and told Nike they preferred to look like a man on the course.

> 4) Wonder who pushed the blade collars and mocks? I know TW (Tiger Woods I think is the gent we are referring to with those initials) wore the mocks ca 2002. Not a bad look but also a look that has fallen in and out of fashion. If Nike was pushing it, sometimes you go pretty far out on a limb and the limb breaks.

I think you mean “joggers” which are nowhere near the same thing. So double whammy for being sexist and ignorant with a single post.

Jeggings, joggers, sweatpants, yoga pants, stretch pants, tights, are all synonyms. Basically, all lower body wear not appropriate to wear in public or especially on the course.

Also, seriously, stop asking “What’s GOAT, TW, SB” etc. Google is an amazing resource. It’s not just maps anymore. They have a whole database you can type, or talk, and ask questions and get answers in, literally, milliseconds.

> @FaReal87 said:

> I think you mean “joggers” which are nowhere near the same thing. So double whammy for being sexist and ignorant with a single post.

I'll own ignorant. Certainly ignorant to the tight fitting pants whatever their name. I don't follow how it is sexist. Not in the least my intent.

> @Augster said:

>Also, seriously, stop asking “What’s GOAT, TW, SB” etc. Google is an amazing resource. It’s not just maps anymore. They have a whole database you can type, or talk, and ask questions and get answers in, literally, milliseconds.

I searched SB. I got nothing that looked like it pertained to golf.

Snapback was the most frequent return. In my world a snapback is a type of adjustable hat. Didn't seem to fit the convo.

> @smashdn said:

> > @Augster said:

> >Also, seriously, stop asking “What’s GOAT, TW, SB” etc. Google is an amazing resource. It’s not just maps anymore. They have a whole database you can type, or talk, and ask questions and get answers in, literally, milliseconds.

> I searched SB. I got nothing that looked like it pertained to golf.

> Snapback was the most frequent return. In my world a snapback is a type of adjustable hat. Didn't seem to fit the convo.

Google "Nike sb" and the results say skateboarding.

> @Augster said:

> Jeggings, joggers, sweatpants, yoga pants, stretch pants, tights, are all synonyms. Basically, all lower body wear not appropriate to wear in public or especially on the course.

>

> Also, seriously, stop asking “What’s GOAT, TW, SB” etc. Google is an amazing resource. It’s not just maps anymore. They have a whole database you can type, or talk, and ask questions and get answers in, literally, milliseconds.

it's already been discussed numerous times here but joggers use fabrics found in your standard golf pants. It's not sweatpant material, it's not tights/yoga pant material. Kelly Kraft and Erik van Rooyen looked clean wearing them at the PGA (greyson) and Adam Scott (uniqlo) has worn them in the past. I hope one day people can wrap their minds around this.

zfpadg5dlahb.png

> @FaReal87 said:

> > @Augster said:

> > Jeggings, joggers, sweatpants, yoga pants, stretch pants, tights, are all synonyms. Basically, all lower body wear not appropriate to wear in public or especially on the course.

> >

> > Also, seriously, stop asking “What’s GOAT, TW, SB” etc. Google is an amazing resource. It’s not just maps anymore. They have a whole database you can type, or talk, and ask questions and get answers in, literally, milliseconds.

>

> Kelly Kraft and Erik van Rooyen looked clean wearing them at the PGA (greyson) and Adam Scott (uniqlo) has worn them in the past. I hope one day people can wrap their minds around this.

>

> zfpadg5dlahb.png

>

>

Perhaps they will, but by that time the look will be out of style.

> @smashdn said:

> > @mallrat said:

> > So much false information in this thread.

> >

> > First, it’s not young guys running it but it is young doing a lot of the work. About 2 years ago they combined golf, SB and tennis with the higher ups coming over from or having been a large part of Jordan and the SB line. They laid off many of the golf insiders and people who truly follow the game.

> >

> > 2nd, they were going to ride Tiger as long as humanly possible but his questionable health and limited schedule required a lot of question marks. Inside Nike, Tiger is not a hassle to do deal with, he treats many people there very well. Now he has been forced, in the past, to update equipment, but at that level not sure that is being difficult.

> >

> > 3, Tiger looks clean and presentable because of his tailor and desire not to give into the modern trends (I have never tried on a pair of pants and thought “these would look so much better if you could see my ankles”

> >

> > 4, be curious to see how the TW stuff plays out. A LOT of shops went heavy on the mock neck garbage and have it sitting in stock that they won’t be able to sell.

>

> Can you clarify some of your points please?

>

> 1) Who or what is SB?

> 2) You say, "Inside Nike, Tiger is not a hassle to do deal with, he treats many people there very well." I don't follow you here. I think you are saying Tiger is easy to deal with but yet it seems Nike is not putting out items that he is actually using on the course.

> 3) I think I agree with you here. Someone at Nike pushed the jeggings they had Rory and J. Day wearing. Glad someone refused and told Nike they preferred to look like a man on the course.

> 4) Wonder who pushed the blade collars and mocks? I know TW (Tiger Woods I think is the gent we are referring to with those initials) wore the mocks ca 2002. Not a bad look but also a look that has fallen in and out of fashion. If Nike was pushing it, sometimes you go pretty far out on a limb and the limb breaks.

Nike Golf used to be it’s own category at Nike with their own President, VP and independent marketing team that did not answer to global (what they internally call the group that basically calls all the shots). When they had there last round of layoffs they merged those 3 divisions and brought their operating back under the “global” brand.

I’ll give you a little story about Tiger at Nike. When my wife moved to Nike Golf from another department she became friends with Tigers internal handler. She mentioned to Tiger that my wife never got to see any of his trophies (she had a decent sized roll there). Tiger wrote a note to my wife, autographed a ball for our son and put his 1997 Masters trophy on his plane with his Bodyguard and flew them to campus just so my wife could see it.

The mocks Tiger embraced but did not design. He had absolutely nothing to do with the blade collars. He has very little design input on his line. They take some of their cues from what he likes (TW polos used to have snaps instead of the buttons on Nike Golf shirts)

Sorry it took me so long to respond, don’t look here much any more.

As far as Tigers shoes, the TW ‘71’s were a response to what they thought of his design. The other shoes that year were a disappointment to Nike. They thought they would not sell and developed the 71’s and put his name on them without his input in hopes that they would sell. He still has a lot of say in his shoes (as all pro models do).

> @mallrat said:

> > @smashdn said:

> > > @mallrat said:

> > > So much false information in this thread.

> > >

> > > First, it’s not young guys running it but it is young doing a lot of the work. About 2 years ago they combined golf, SB and tennis with the higher ups coming over from or having been a large part of Jordan and the SB line. They laid off many of the golf insiders and people who truly follow the game.

> > >

> > > 2nd, they were going to ride Tiger as long as humanly possible but his questionable health and limited schedule required a lot of question marks. Inside Nike, Tiger is not a hassle to do deal with, he treats many people there very well. Now he has been forced, in the past, to update equipment, but at that level not sure that is being difficult.

> > >

> > > 3, Tiger looks clean and presentable because of his tailor and desire not to give into the modern trends (I have never tried on a pair of pants and thought “these would look so much better if you could see my ankles”

> > >

> > > 4, be curious to see how the TW stuff plays out. A LOT of shops went heavy on the mock neck garbage and have it sitting in stock that they won’t be able to sell.

> >

> > Can you clarify some of your points please?

> >

> > 1) Who or what is SB?

> > 2) You say, "Inside Nike, Tiger is not a hassle to do deal with, he treats many people there very well." I don't follow you here. I think you are saying Tiger is easy to deal with but yet it seems Nike is not putting out items that he is actually using on the course.

> > 3) I think I agree with you here. Someone at Nike pushed the jeggings they had Rory and J. Day wearing. Glad someone refused and told Nike they preferred to look like a man on the course.

> > 4) Wonder who pushed the blade collars and mocks? I know TW (Tiger Woods I think is the gent we are referring to with those initials) wore the mocks ca 2002. Not a bad look but also a look that has fallen in and out of fashion. If Nike was pushing it, sometimes you go pretty far out on a limb and the limb breaks.

>

> Nike Golf used to be it’s own category at Nike with their own President, VP and independent marketing team that did not answer to global (what they internally call the group that basically calls all the shots). When they had there last round of layoffs they merged those 3 divisions and brought their operating back under the “global” brand.

>

> I’ll give you a little story about Tiger at Nike. When my wife moved to Nike Golf from another department she became friends with Tigers internal handler. She mentioned to Tiger that my wife never got to see any of his trophies (she had a decent sized roll there). Tiger wrote a note to my wife, autographed a ball for our son and put his 1997 Masters trophy on his plane with his Bodyguard and flew them to campus just so my wife could see it.

>

> The mocks Tiger embraced but did not design. He had absolutely nothing to do with the blade collars. He has very little design input on his line. They take some of their cues from what he likes (TW polos used to have snaps instead of the buttons on Nike Golf shirts)

>

> Sorry it took me so long to respond, don’t look here much any more.

>

> As far as Tigers shoes, the TW ‘71’s were a response to what they thought of his design. The other shoes that year were a disappointment to Nike. They thought they would not sell and developed the 71’s and put his name on them without his input in hopes that they would sell. He still has a lot of say in his shoes (as all pro models do).

Question about the last point, do you think they were disappointed he didn’t wear the TW17s (with possibly his input) then gravitated to the TW71s (that are a derivative of the TW17s and no input from him)?

Last year probably the TW71s and the TP were their biggest sellers, with the Roshe Tour , Air Max 1G and maybe the Vapor React being the biggest sellers this year maybe??

Not that’s an indication of sales but most guys on their PGA Tour staff are wearing Roshe Tour, Vapor React and Air Max 1G ...some TP as well..

> @mallrat said:

> Nike Golf used to be it’s own category at Nike with their own President, VP and independent marketing team that did not answer to global (what they internally call the group that basically calls all the shots).

> When they had there last round of layoffs they merged those 3 divisions and brought their operating back under the “global” brand.

Was the downsizing just due to the market correction and the popping of the Tiger boom bubble? Historically I have always liked Nike stuff. Mainly their polos and some shoes. I started going away from them as typically I find all Nike shoes to fit more narrow than other brands. I had three pair of nike golf shoes from around the late 90's early 00's. I broke the black pair out at the range the other day and the soles just disintegrated. I was left with a few cleat sockets and the air bubble in the heel. The leather uppers still looked great though.

BUT then they started down the weird patterns and day glo colors path and I just can't go there. I wear what I play golf in to work and vice versa. I walk out of the office and onto the course pretty regular. Some of the new stuff just won't fly in an office setting. I'm a stuffy guy I guess. The shoes need to stay low key and classy for me as well. I had the brown square toe shoes, a pair of solid black saddles and a pair of brown and white saddles. I think all of those pair have bit the dust now though. I want to say that maybe Nike was the first or one of the first shoe manufacturers to make the uppers look like golf shoes but the insides to feel like tennis shoes and not church shoes.

• Like 1

The layoffs were in 2 parts and 2 stages. The first was due to exiting equipment and the 2nd was part of a larger company wide layoff. That was a part of several quarters where they didn’t meet their numbers company wide but golf got hit hard.

Nike Golf is now a product of Nike and their thought process. Now they believe people will buy it if we make it not let’s make what people want to buy.

The TW 71 & 17 is a weird thing. From my understanding they had a shoe designed that was closer to the older Free sole based designs but then his health forced him to change the shoes he wears and the 17’s were kind of rushed. He started out in the 17’s and not sure when he switched because the launch of the 17’s was here last marketing initiative before she got laid off. So I don’t know much past that.

To give you an idea of where Nike Golf is, there is a guy there who was a President of another category and instead of laying him off they demoted him to a VP in golf. Then during the golf layoffs they chose to demote him again and lay off my wife and her boss (at his recommendation). So you have a Senior Director who has been demoted twice for lack of performance in charge of things. When she got laid off I was pretty bitter and VERY anti-Nike. I am not as mad as I was but still will not purchase anything of theirs.

> @smashdn said:

> > @mallrat said:

> > Nike Golf used to be it’s own category at Nike with their own President, VP and independent marketing team that did not answer to global (what they internally call the group that basically calls all the shots).

> > When they had there last round of layoffs they merged those 3 divisions and brought their operating back under the “global” brand.

>

>

> Was the downsizing just due to the market correction and the popping of the Tiger boom bubble? Historically I have always liked Nike stuff. Mainly their polos and some shoes. I started going away from them as typically I find all Nike shoes to fit more narrow than other brands. I had three pair of nike golf shoes from around the late 90's early 00's. I broke the black pair out at the range the other day and the soles just disintegrated. I was left with a few cleat sockets and the air bubble in the heel. The leather uppers still looked great though.

>

> BUT then they started down the weird patterns and day glo colors path and I just can't go there. I wear what I play golf in to work and vice versa. I walk out of the office and onto the course pretty regular. Some of the new stuff just won't fly in an office setting. I'm a stuffy guy I guess. The shoes need to stay low key and classy for me as well. I had the brown square toe shoes, a pair of solid black saddles and a pair of brown and white saddles. I think all of those pair have bit the dust now though. I want to say that maybe Nike was the first or one of the first shoe manufacturers to make the uppers look like golf shoes but the insides to feel like tennis shoes and not church shoes.

The funny thing is their best selling product is their plain colored normal dri-fit shirt by a WIDE margin.

If you aren't buying Nike golf you aren't missing much imo. See my "old man rant" thread concerning "new style" golf shoes for my opinion on most new stuff.

Seems that the younger guys in charge can't show restraint in some cases. If some is good more is better might be the mantra. A little splash of bright color as an accent and you got something. A whole mess of it and you look like a member of a road crew in hi-vis.