Sand Valley

Phreddy

I'm playing sandbox at 4:48 on the 10th. and on the 11th, SV at 7:30 and MD at 2:35. As a single, hoping to be paired with some of the others here.

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

While I have not been able to go see the course myself yet this year, I have been told it came through the winter very well. For what it is worth, Lake Arrowhead came through the winter in immaculate condition when looking at the greens/ fairways. So if you were thinking about grabbing an extra round during your stay you won't be disappointed with Sand Valley's close neighbor. If you could report back on your experience with Sand Valley's conditions I am sure we would all be interested in hearing it.

Was up there last Friday/Saturday. Only can speak to the Sandbox and Sand Valley as we weren't brave enough to handle the 34 degrees and impending rain on Saturday morning lol. Conditions were great, greens were in tremendous shape for so early in the year. The Sandbox was diabolical in the wind with some of the pin placements :) Mammoth Bar had some great food, Hangar Steak and Pork Shank highly recommended.

> @datrain711 said:

> Was up there last Friday/Saturday. Only can speak to the Sandbox and Sand Valley as we weren't brave enough to handle the 34 degrees and impending rain on Saturday morning lol. Conditions were great, greens were in tremendous shape for so early in the year. The Sandbox was diabolical in the wind with some of the pin placements :) Mammoth Bar had some great food, Hangar Steak and Pork Shank highly recommended.

Great to hear that the course came through the winter much better than last year. Only 1 week away from our trip as we plan to take advantage of the last weekend of low rates! Playing 107 holes in 2 1/2 days!

• 2 weeks later...

Courses are in great condition. Played all 3 this weekend. If you can definitely play the Sandbox. All the holes are less that 130 yards and the greens have some awesome setups. Resort as a whole was fantastic. Mammoth dunes greens may be a little hard but overall everything was A+. Definitely will be going back.

I'm in Wisconsin for work in a couple of weeks and have an off/travel day in between meetings. Fortunately, I have the time to play both Sand Valley and Mammoth. I'm playing as a single on a Wednesday and am hoping to have a solid caddie for my first two loops around each course as I'm an okay (4.1) player. Do you guys have any good caddie recommendations at the resort? Thanks for your help!

I don't mean to be a wet blanket but I had a little bit of a different experience at Sand Valley when I visited last weekend. Perhaps I had my bar set too high after visiting Bandon Dunes in December but Sand Valley underwhelmed me to a certain extent. It also seemed to not do the little things right that separates good resorts from great resorts.

We played all 3 courses on Friday and Saturday starting as the first group off on Friday morning on Mammoth Dunes. It is a beautiful location and even with the 38 degree temp at tee off we weren't cold and the sun rising on the putting green created a spectacular view. The first tee box started with the starter not really being ready and making a comment that because we were a twosome and first off we should get around in 3 hours or just a little longer. I'm a fast golfer but 7.5 miles up and down sand dunes does not equate to a 3 hour round. We ran it in 3h 45m which I think is acceptable to set the pace for the day. I had heard that you can't appreciate the scale of the place until you are there. I have to disagree a bit, I thought pictures I saw were pretty accurate in showing the size of everything. A few other things that we noticed on our trip that we hadn't considered when going to SV. It's a seasonal resort so we got quite a few people who were just starting at the resort and in one case their first time serving. I imagine that because you can't employ someone year round similar to Bandon it will be difficult to retain the absolute best talent that stick around for years and years. We had a waitress come up to us at dinner after we'd been there for 45-60mins and ask if there was anything else she could get us... um yea our dinner. To her credit, she apologized profusely and offered us a free breakfast but after playing 53 holes of golf you're ready to eat.

That being said Georgianne(butchered spelling I'm sure) at Craig's Porch is an absolute treat and should be the model for customer service at the resort. She shook each person's hand and introduced herself than left the shack to offer to take pictures at the scenic areas around the turnstand. Can't say enough about how she brings the Midwest nice attitude that SV needs more of.

We really enjoyed the golf here and the design of the courses are a great contrast. SV beats you up and makes you pay for little miscues pretty heavily. Where as MD is a grip it and rip it attitude and a ton of fun. Sandbox with some music, booze and cigars was right up there with both courses. It almost felt overdone with the massive bunkers and incredible green designs... but we weren't complaining! To top it off my travel partner aced the 9th hole, with a putter and the astute starter for the par 3 course saw it and radio'd in to the pro shop to have a custom shovel made.

Lastly, the rooms on the 18th tee of SV was awesome, ask for a porch room. Then walk over to the punchbowl 17th green and hit some putts with phone flashlights. Will be my lasting memory from the trip.

I don't want it to sound like I hated the trip but I did it have issues with it and driving 8 hours each way seemed like a bit much. In summary, we had fun but won't be back anytime soon. There's too many options either closer to me in Minnesota that provide as much fun or that I haven't got to in WI yet(Whistling, Lawsonia, etc)

• Like 1

Played last week too with Marks21 and my experience was very good. The accommodations were top notch, never had a service inconvenient, the bar and restaurant were excellent as was the golf. True that the resort is just starting the 3rd season (not 20 years like Bandon) so it can be considered on the initial stages. The golf was phenomenal, strategic SV and fun MD and sandbox.

Is only 3 hrs from my house, and I’m already planning a trip back! I played Lawsonia on the same trip, like it very much, but I don’t think I’ll go out of my way to play it again.

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

> @eboettne said:

> I don't mean to be a wet blanket but I had a little bit of a different experience at Sand Valley when I visited last weekend. Perhaps I had my bar set too high after visiting Bandon Dunes in December but Sand Valley underwhelmed me to a certain extent. It also seemed to not do the little things right that separates good resorts from great resorts.

>

> We played all 3 courses on Friday and Saturday starting as the first group off on Friday morning on Mammoth Dunes. It is a beautiful location and even with the 38 degree temp at tee off we weren't cold and the sun rising on the putting green created a spectacular view. The first tee box started with the starter not really being ready and making a comment that because we were a twosome and first off we should get around in 3 hours or just a little longer. I'm a fast golfer but 7.5 miles up and down sand dunes does not equate to a 3 hour round. We ran it in 3h 45m which I think is acceptable to set the pace for the day. I had heard that you can't appreciate the scale of the place until you are there. I have to disagree a bit, I thought pictures I saw were pretty accurate in showing the size of everything. A few other things that we noticed on our trip that we hadn't considered when going to SV. It's a seasonal resort so we got quite a few people who were just starting at the resort and in one case their first time serving. I imagine that because you can't employ someone year round similar to Bandon it will be difficult to retain the absolute best talent that stick around for years and years. We had a waitress come up to us at dinner after we'd been there for 45-60mins and ask if there was anything else she could get us... um yea our dinner. To her credit, she apologized profusely and offered us a free breakfast but after playing 53 holes of golf you're ready to eat.

>

> That being said Georgianne(butchered spelling I'm sure) at Craig's Porch is an absolute treat and should be the model for customer service at the resort. She shook each person's hand and introduced herself than left the shack to offer to take pictures at the scenic areas around the turnstand. Can't say enough about how she brings the Midwest nice attitude that SV needs more of.

>

> We really enjoyed the golf here and the design of the courses are a great contrast. SV beats you up and makes you pay for little miscues pretty heavily. Where as MD is a grip it and rip it attitude and a ton of fun. Sandbox with some music, booze and cigars was right up there with both courses. It almost felt overdone with the massive bunkers and incredible green designs... but we weren't complaining! To top it off my travel partner aced the 9th hole, with a putter and the astute starter for the par 3 course saw it and radio'd in to the pro shop to have a custom shovel made.

>

> Lastly, the rooms on the 18th tee of SV was awesome, ask for a porch room. Then walk over to the punchbowl 17th green and hit some putts with phone flashlights. Will be my lasting memory from the trip.

>

> I don't want it to sound like I hated the trip but I did it have issues with it and driving 8 hours each way seemed like a bit much. In summary, we had fun but won't be back anytime soon. There's too many options either closer to me in Minnesota that provide as much fun or that I haven't got to in WI yet(Whistling, Lawsonia, etc)

Even the lukewarm reviews make the place sound really good!

> @PuttCurseRepeat said:

> > @eboettne said:

> > I don't mean to be a wet blanket but I had a little bit of a different experience at Sand Valley when I visited last weekend. Perhaps I had my bar set too high after visiting Bandon Dunes in December but Sand Valley underwhelmed me to a certain extent. It also seemed to not do the little things right that separates good resorts from great resorts.

> >

> > We played all 3 courses on Friday and Saturday starting as the first group off on Friday morning on Mammoth Dunes. It is a beautiful location and even with the 38 degree temp at tee off we weren't cold and the sun rising on the putting green created a spectacular view. The first tee box started with the starter not really being ready and making a comment that because we were a twosome and first off we should get around in 3 hours or just a little longer. I'm a fast golfer but 7.5 miles up and down sand dunes does not equate to a 3 hour round. We ran it in 3h 45m which I think is acceptable to set the pace for the day. I had heard that you can't appreciate the scale of the place until you are there. I have to disagree a bit, I thought pictures I saw were pretty accurate in showing the size of everything. A few other things that we noticed on our trip that we hadn't considered when going to SV. It's a seasonal resort so we got quite a few people who were just starting at the resort and in one case their first time serving. I imagine that because you can't employ someone year round similar to Bandon it will be difficult to retain the absolute best talent that stick around for years and years. We had a waitress come up to us at dinner after we'd been there for 45-60mins and ask if there was anything else she could get us... um yea our dinner. To her credit, she apologized profusely and offered us a free breakfast but after playing 53 holes of golf you're ready to eat.

> >

> > That being said Georgianne(butchered spelling I'm sure) at Craig's Porch is an absolute treat and should be the model for customer service at the resort. She shook each person's hand and introduced herself than left the shack to offer to take pictures at the scenic areas around the turnstand. Can't say enough about how she brings the Midwest nice attitude that SV needs more of.

> >

> > We really enjoyed the golf here and the design of the courses are a great contrast. SV beats you up and makes you pay for little miscues pretty heavily. Where as MD is a grip it and rip it attitude and a ton of fun. Sandbox with some music, booze and cigars was right up there with both courses. It almost felt overdone with the massive bunkers and incredible green designs... but we weren't complaining! To top it off my travel partner aced the 9th hole, with a putter and the astute starter for the par 3 course saw it and radio'd in to the pro shop to have a custom shovel made.

> >

> > Lastly, the rooms on the 18th tee of SV was awesome, ask for a porch room. Then walk over to the punchbowl 17th green and hit some putts with phone flashlights. Will be my lasting memory from the trip.

> >

> > I don't want it to sound like I hated the trip but I did it have issues with it and driving 8 hours each way seemed like a bit much. In summary, we had fun but won't be back anytime soon. There's too many options either closer to me in Minnesota that provide as much fun or that I haven't got to in WI yet(Whistling, Lawsonia, etc)

>

> Even the lukewarm reviews make the place sound really good!

Yeah I probably started it sounding like I was going to be super negative but even once I started typing it I realized it was a fun trip. I wouldn't make it again anytime soon but we had a solid time. I just don't want people coming to expect Bandon 2.0. One thing I left out is it just didn't have the feel that we wanted. It didn't feel like a guys getaway which is one reason I really enjoyed Bandon. A lot of people just there for lunch, a lot of staff that made interactions feel transactional, the little things that Bandon does so well. Will you have a good time? Yes, but I'm not longing to go back... meanwhile I have October 2020 in my sights to return to the Oregon Coast. Like I said, the bar was set too high and I only have myself to blame :smile:

> @eboettne said:

> > @PuttCurseRepeat said:

> > > @eboettne said:

> > > I don't mean to be a wet blanket but I had a little bit of a different experience at Sand Valley when I visited last weekend. Perhaps I had my bar set too high after visiting Bandon Dunes in December but Sand Valley underwhelmed me to a certain extent. It also seemed to not do the little things right that separates good resorts from great resorts.

> > >

> > > We played all 3 courses on Friday and Saturday starting as the first group off on Friday morning on Mammoth Dunes. It is a beautiful location and even with the 38 degree temp at tee off we weren't cold and the sun rising on the putting green created a spectacular view. The first tee box started with the starter not really being ready and making a comment that because we were a twosome and first off we should get around in 3 hours or just a little longer. I'm a fast golfer but 7.5 miles up and down sand dunes does not equate to a 3 hour round. We ran it in 3h 45m which I think is acceptable to set the pace for the day. I had heard that you can't appreciate the scale of the place until you are there. I have to disagree a bit, I thought pictures I saw were pretty accurate in showing the size of everything. A few other things that we noticed on our trip that we hadn't considered when going to SV. It's a seasonal resort so we got quite a few people who were just starting at the resort and in one case their first time serving. I imagine that because you can't employ someone year round similar to Bandon it will be difficult to retain the absolute best talent that stick around for years and years. We had a waitress come up to us at dinner after we'd been there for 45-60mins and ask if there was anything else she could get us... um yea our dinner. To her credit, she apologized profusely and offered us a free breakfast but after playing 53 holes of golf you're ready to eat.

> > >

> > > That being said Georgianne(butchered spelling I'm sure) at Craig's Porch is an absolute treat and should be the model for customer service at the resort. She shook each person's hand and introduced herself than left the shack to offer to take pictures at the scenic areas around the turnstand. Can't say enough about how she brings the Midwest nice attitude that SV needs more of.

> > >

> > > We really enjoyed the golf here and the design of the courses are a great contrast. SV beats you up and makes you pay for little miscues pretty heavily. Where as MD is a grip it and rip it attitude and a ton of fun. Sandbox with some music, booze and cigars was right up there with both courses. It almost felt overdone with the massive bunkers and incredible green designs... but we weren't complaining! To top it off my travel partner aced the 9th hole, with a putter and the astute starter for the par 3 course saw it and radio'd in to the pro shop to have a custom shovel made.

> > >

> > > Lastly, the rooms on the 18th tee of SV was awesome, ask for a porch room. Then walk over to the punchbowl 17th green and hit some putts with phone flashlights. Will be my lasting memory from the trip.

> > >

> > > I don't want it to sound like I hated the trip but I did it have issues with it and driving 8 hours each way seemed like a bit much. In summary, we had fun but won't be back anytime soon. There's too many options either closer to me in Minnesota that provide as much fun or that I haven't got to in WI yet(Whistling, Lawsonia, etc)

> >

> > Even the lukewarm reviews make the place sound really good!

>

> Yeah I probably started it sounding like I was going to be super negative but even once I started typing it I realized it was a fun trip. I wouldn't make it again anytime soon but we had a solid time. I just don't want people coming to expect Bandon 2.0. One thing I left out is it just didn't have the feel that we wanted. It didn't feel like a guys getaway which is one reason I really enjoyed Bandon. A lot of people just there for lunch, a lot of staff that made interactions feel transactional, the little things that Bandon does so well. Will you have a good time? Yes, but I'm not longing to go back... meanwhile I have October 2020 in my sights to return to the Oregon Coast. Like I said, the bar was set too high and I only have myself to blame :smile:

Having been there this past weekend and to Bandon 2 years ago I can see your point a little bit. To me Sand Valley definitely had the Bandon type of vibe where golf is first and foremost and the amenities while still nice second, but it's hard to measure up with the special nature of Bandon IMO. Regardless of the oceanside setting that you cannot create in Wisconsin, Bandon is a very special place and the ultimate US golf trip destination IMO, it just cannot compete in that regard. But I think Sand Valley is awesome in its own way. Bandon also felt a little more private to me in that I stayed at a villa instead of in the lodge at Sand Valley, so that's might have played into that feel. Staff were all really cool and very friendly/personable with us so I didn't feel that. It's similar all while being a bit different, which I think is perfectly fine. For myself it was a 3:30 drive and not an arduous 8 hours like you had, and in comparison to the full day of travel Bandon takes it's nice to know I can get something of a taste of it in lesser time if I need in the future. I'm returning to Bandon this fall so I'll have this somewhat fresh in my mind to compare, and while the final destination of Bandon is better IMO, I'm sure at some point during my flights and inevitable flight delay coming into North Bend I'll be reminiscing about the quick and easy drive to Sand Valley.

> @VNutz said:

> > @eboettne said:

> > > @PuttCurseRepeat said:

> > > > @eboettne said:

> > > > I don't mean to be a wet blanket but I had a little bit of a different experience at Sand Valley when I visited last weekend. Perhaps I had my bar set too high after visiting Bandon Dunes in December but Sand Valley underwhelmed me to a certain extent. It also seemed to not do the little things right that separates good resorts from great resorts.

> > > >

> > > > We played all 3 courses on Friday and Saturday starting as the first group off on Friday morning on Mammoth Dunes. It is a beautiful location and even with the 38 degree temp at tee off we weren't cold and the sun rising on the putting green created a spectacular view. The first tee box started with the starter not really being ready and making a comment that because we were a twosome and first off we should get around in 3 hours or just a little longer. I'm a fast golfer but 7.5 miles up and down sand dunes does not equate to a 3 hour round. We ran it in 3h 45m which I think is acceptable to set the pace for the day. I had heard that you can't appreciate the scale of the place until you are there. I have to disagree a bit, I thought pictures I saw were pretty accurate in showing the size of everything. A few other things that we noticed on our trip that we hadn't considered when going to SV. It's a seasonal resort so we got quite a few people who were just starting at the resort and in one case their first time serving. I imagine that because you can't employ someone year round similar to Bandon it will be difficult to retain the absolute best talent that stick around for years and years. We had a waitress come up to us at dinner after we'd been there for 45-60mins and ask if there was anything else she could get us... um yea our dinner. To her credit, she apologized profusely and offered us a free breakfast but after playing 53 holes of golf you're ready to eat.

> > > >

> > > > That being said Georgianne(butchered spelling I'm sure) at Craig's Porch is an absolute treat and should be the model for customer service at the resort. She shook each person's hand and introduced herself than left the shack to offer to take pictures at the scenic areas around the turnstand. Can't say enough about how she brings the Midwest nice attitude that SV needs more of.

> > > >

> > > > We really enjoyed the golf here and the design of the courses are a great contrast. SV beats you up and makes you pay for little miscues pretty heavily. Where as MD is a grip it and rip it attitude and a ton of fun. Sandbox with some music, booze and cigars was right up there with both courses. It almost felt overdone with the massive bunkers and incredible green designs... but we weren't complaining! To top it off my travel partner aced the 9th hole, with a putter and the astute starter for the par 3 course saw it and radio'd in to the pro shop to have a custom shovel made.

> > > >

> > > > Lastly, the rooms on the 18th tee of SV was awesome, ask for a porch room. Then walk over to the punchbowl 17th green and hit some putts with phone flashlights. Will be my lasting memory from the trip.

> > > >

> > > > I don't want it to sound like I hated the trip but I did it have issues with it and driving 8 hours each way seemed like a bit much. In summary, we had fun but won't be back anytime soon. There's too many options either closer to me in Minnesota that provide as much fun or that I haven't got to in WI yet(Whistling, Lawsonia, etc)

> > >

> > > Even the lukewarm reviews make the place sound really good!

> >

> > Yeah I probably started it sounding like I was going to be super negative but even once I started typing it I realized it was a fun trip. I wouldn't make it again anytime soon but we had a solid time. I just don't want people coming to expect Bandon 2.0. One thing I left out is it just didn't have the feel that we wanted. It didn't feel like a guys getaway which is one reason I really enjoyed Bandon. A lot of people just there for lunch, a lot of staff that made interactions feel transactional, the little things that Bandon does so well. Will you have a good time? Yes, but I'm not longing to go back... meanwhile I have October 2020 in my sights to return to the Oregon Coast. Like I said, the bar was set too high and I only have myself to blame :smile:

>

> Having been there this past weekend and to Bandon 2 years ago I can see your point a little bit. To me Sand Valley definitely had the Bandon type of vibe where golf is first and foremost and the amenities while still nice second, but it's hard to measure up with the special nature of Bandon IMO. Regardless of the oceanside setting that you cannot create in Wisconsin, Bandon is a very special place and the ultimate US golf trip destination IMO, it just cannot compete in that regard. But I think Sand Valley is awesome in its own way. Bandon also felt a little more private to me in that I stayed at a villa instead of in the lodge at Sand Valley, so that's might have played into that feel. Staff were all really cool and very friendly/personable with us so I didn't feel that. It's similar all while being a bit different, which I think is perfectly fine. For myself it was a 3:30 drive and not an arduous 8 hours like you had, and in comparison to the full day of travel Bandon takes it's nice to know I can get something of a taste of it in lesser time if I need in the future. I'm returning to Bandon this fall so I'll have this somewhat fresh in my mind to compare, and while the final destination of Bandon is better IMO, I'm sure at some point during my flights and inevitable flight delay coming into North Bend I'll be reminiscing about the quick and easy drive to Sand Valley.

I think this conversation is incomplete. When are we booking a trip to Cabot Cliffs so we can compare the entire Keiser empire?

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

I've been to all three of the Keiser properties mentioned, and I loved them all. But they are each different. Bandon is the biggest, most mature, and most golf-centric. Cabot has the most unique local culture and also two great courses. Sand Valley is the least mature, but has three outstanding courses that bring a special vibe to the Midwest. Since I live only a 4-hour drive from Sand Valley, travel is easiest to get there. Both Cabot and Bandon are challenging trips for me. I'm not sure that I will be able to return to Cabot or Bandon anytime soon, but I'm making my second trip to Sand Valley next weekend. My favorite courses across the Keiser empire are Pacific Dunes, Cabot Cliffs, Mammoth Dunes, and Bandon Dunes (in no particular order). It all depends on what "flavor" of great you are looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

> @3wood said:

> Playing Monday. Looking for recommendations on nearby hotels or deals to be had at the resort. Thanks

Not sure if you are flying solo or can room with someone, but our group stayed in rooms with double occupancy and I paid 87.50+ tax to share a room. We were on the bottom floor and our room, the patio came out to the 17th green at the sand box. The rooms were really nice!

> @ode1 said:

> > @3wood said:

> > Playing Monday. Looking for recommendations on nearby hotels or deals to be had at the resort. Thanks

>

> Not sure if you are flying solo or can room with someone, but our group stayed in rooms with double occupancy and I paid 87.50+ tax to share a room. We were on the bottom floor and our room, the patio came out to the 17th green at the sand box. The rooms were really nice!

Going with a buddy. I’ll give them a call tomorrow. When did you stay?

> @3wood said:

> > @ode1 said:

> > > @3wood said:

> > > Playing Monday. Looking for recommendations on nearby hotels or deals to be had at the resort. Thanks

> >

> > Not sure if you are flying solo or can room with someone, but our group stayed in rooms with double occupancy and I paid 87.50+ tax to share a room. We were on the bottom floor and our room, the patio came out to the 17th green at the sand box. The rooms were really nice!

>

> Going with a buddy. I’ll give them a call tomorrow. When did you stay?

First Sunday in May, played SV and Sandbox on Sunday, spent night, and MD on Monday morning.

• 1 month later...

I returned to Sand Valley this week, after my first visit two years ago. The resort has matured nicely. I played Mammoth Dunes and was blown away. Much praise has already been given to MD and deservedly so, but I just wanted to add my voice to the many others saying how fun this course is. I played poorly, but still walked off the course with a big grin on my face.

As day guest, I highly recommend bringing a change of clothes and using the great locker facilities available before having dinner at the resort or hitting the road. I did have a little criticism regarding dinner at the resort. On my first trip, the food was fantastic and the chef came out to visit our table. This time the food was good, but at my encouragement, a friend ordered the walleye and the three of us at the table were shocked at how pathetically small the portion of fish was. It was a quarter of the tail end of the fillet and another, even smaller piece placed next to it. Oh, and our appitizers (good chx wings and cheese curds) came to the table a few moments after our dinners were served. We weren't in the mood to complain, though we should have about the walleye, since the overall vibe was at a good level.

• Like 1

> @Edaw68 said:

> Any recommendations from locals on if the weather would be better in the spring or the fall? I'm doing trip planning research and trying for cheaper rates and are odds better in May or October?

I would choose the fall no question. Courses around this part of the state are always in great condition at the end of the season and the weather is usually better on a consistent basis. You could find yourself playing in colder weather, but it could also be 70 degrees out. Temperature that time of the year is a crap shoot, but there is a lot less chance of rain when compared to the early season. My biggest reason for choosing the fall is the shape of the course. The greens are almost always in perfect condition and fast at the back end of the year. You might get good course conditions in may, but it’s likely going to be a little raggedy and slow that time of year. In the fall the course has had the whole season to mature and any winter kill has long been sorted out.

In short, late September and October is my favorite time to play Wisconsin golf.

> @Lefty96 said:

> > @Edaw68 said:

> > Any recommendations from locals on if the weather would be better in the spring or the fall? I'm doing trip planning research and trying for cheaper rates and are odds better in May or October?

>

> I would choose the fall no question. Courses around this part of the state are always in great condition at the end of the season and the weather is usually better on a consistent basis. You could find yourself playing in colder weather, but it could also be 70 degrees out. Temperature that time of the year is a crap shoot, but there is a lot less chance of rain when compared to the early season. My biggest reason for choosing the fall is the shape of the course. The greens are almost always in perfect condition and fast at the back end of the year. You might get good course conditions in may, but it’s likely going to be a little raggedy and slow that time of year. In the fall the course has had the whole season to mature and any winter kill has long been sorted out.

>

> In short, late September and October is my favorite time to play Wisconsin golf.

Excellent, thank you!

> @sCrod3s said:

> Does anyone know roughly how long it would take a foursome to play the sandbox? We’ve got a group doing Erin hills then sand valley later this month and our current itinerary doesn’t have the par 3 course in it and we are trying to see where we can fit it in.

I would schedule about 2 hours to play the sandbox as a foursome. If you have more time that would be great, but you can get it in in 2 hours.