2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Broke 90 today

HonestPlayer

> @Pepperturbo said:

> > @HonestPlayer said:

> > > @Pepperturbo said:

> > > Congratulations! I am guessing from the score you are a high cap/beginner. Not knowing course length from tips, why are you playing from the tips? Typically, playing from the tips is reserved for low caps or better.

> >

> > I have broken 90 before, but not from tips - many years ago 79 from the members. I have never played from the tips anywhere until this month. However, due to a few injuries and several years out the game my current swing and grip is completely different - it's like I'm re-learning the game again. I'm also out of shape still and struggling to walk 18 holes. Tips are 6600, members 6200. It's good for mental game, short game and course management putting yourself at a disadvantage from back there. I'm hoping to get 85 or better next from the member tees (I'll probably be playing from the members until I break 80 from them), so I'll be hitting from the members for a while.

>

> Got ya... I don't see playing longer yardage as a disadvantage, but challenges meant to be overcome as long as the pace of play can be maintained. Good luck.

Think you are right to be honest. I played like garbage last night from the members tees, worse than I had in my 8 previous rounds from the tips. Different challenges and different trouble in play. It's almost like re-learning a new course with the yardage differential. I left myself in front of tees a few times I didn't think would be a factor, cost me 6-8 shots. I think maybe mentally I sub-consciously didn't give 100% compared to having to do that from the tips or get eaten by the course along with putting badly. It's good I can laugh off a bad round though now I'm older, slower, weaker and less fit however. Haha.

I think I got a little ahead of myself I'm at least a few years away from breaking 80 probably with my new set up realistically. I'm just trying to keep it in play best I can - as far up as I can then rely on my short game (which needs work). Oh well, at least I broke 90 from the back! Good luck to you too next round out (and onwards)

> @HonestPlayer said:

> > @Pepperturbo said:

> > > @HonestPlayer said:

> > > > @Pepperturbo said:

> > > > Congratulations! I am guessing from the score you are a high cap/beginner. Not knowing course length from tips, why are you playing from the tips? Typically, playing from the tips is reserved for low caps or better.

> > >

> > > I have broken 90 before, but not from tips - many years ago 79 from the members. I have never played from the tips anywhere until this month. However, due to a few injuries and several years out the game my current swing and grip is completely different - it's like I'm re-learning the game again. I'm also out of shape still and struggling to walk 18 holes. Tips are 6600, members 6200. It's good for mental game, short game and course management putting yourself at a disadvantage from back there. I'm hoping to get 85 or better next from the member tees (I'll probably be playing from the members until I break 80 from them), so I'll be hitting from the members for a while.

> >

> > Got ya... I don't see playing longer yardage as a disadvantage, but challenges meant to be overcome as long as the pace of play can be maintained. Good luck.

>

> Think you are right to be honest. I played like garbage last night from the members tees, worse than I had in my 8 previous rounds from the tips. Different challenges and different trouble in play. It's almost like re-learning a new course with the yardage differential. I left myself in front of tees a few times I didn't think would be a factor, cost me 6-8 shots. I think maybe mentally I sub-consciously didn't give 100% compared to having to do that from the tips or get eaten by the course along with putting badly. It's good I can laugh off a bad round though now I'm older, slower, weaker and less fit however. Haha.

>

> I think I got a little ahead of myself I'm at least a few years away from breaking 80 probably with my new set up realistically. I'm just trying to keep it in play best I can - as far up as I can then rely on my short game (which needs work). Oh well, at least I broke 90 from the back! Good luck to you too next round out (and onwards)

Getting ahead of ourselves happens to everyone, especially when playing shorter yardages. People too often assume they will eat the shorter yardage up and score a lot better. NOT true. I play with a few big hitters and every now and then get them to play a shorter 6700yd difficult and fast, target course. They always pull the driver and swing out of their shoes, regardless of what the hole says, bringing most hazards into play, resulting in shots they don't have. Courses they normally play are not very penile when in the rough. On a course like I speak of, mistakes are penile. Also, when a person has reasonable control over their driver, moving to longer yardage can be safer, as it takes hazards out of play.

I know one tournament level course where #1 is a dog-leg right, not long par 5. Many people see its yardage, not the conditions. From the blue tees, it requires a soft fade. But if the driver double-crosses me, my ball will run through the dog-leg into some ugly tight trees and rough, costing a punchout stroke; so I use 2 iron on that tee to the dog-leg. My two buddies were either through the left-side dog-leg in junk or cut the corner too much ending up on a dramatic sloping hillside in the rough on the right-side. Good golf, IMO, is first about course management, then knowing one's strengths and weaknesses and playing to our strengths. Have a good weekend and play well. :)

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

> @Pepperturbo said:

> > @HonestPlayer said:

> > > @Pepperturbo said:

> > > > @HonestPlayer said:

> > > > > @Pepperturbo said:

> > > > > Congratulations! I am guessing from the score you are a high cap/beginner. Not knowing course length from tips, why are you playing from the tips? Typically, playing from the tips is reserved for low caps or better.

> > > >

> > > > I have broken 90 before, but not from tips - many years ago 79 from the members. I have never played from the tips anywhere until this month. However, due to a few injuries and several years out the game my current swing and grip is completely different - it's like I'm re-learning the game again. I'm also out of shape still and struggling to walk 18 holes. Tips are 6600, members 6200. It's good for mental game, short game and course management putting yourself at a disadvantage from back there. I'm hoping to get 85 or better next from the member tees (I'll probably be playing from the members until I break 80 from them), so I'll be hitting from the members for a while.

> > >

> > > Got ya... I don't see playing longer yardage as a disadvantage, but challenges meant to be overcome as long as the pace of play can be maintained. Good luck.

> >

> > Think you are right to be honest. I played like garbage last night from the members tees, worse than I had in my 8 previous rounds from the tips. Different challenges and different trouble in play. It's almost like re-learning a new course with the yardage differential. I left myself in front of tees a few times I didn't think would be a factor, cost me 6-8 shots. I think maybe mentally I sub-consciously didn't give 100% compared to having to do that from the tips or get eaten by the course along with putting badly. It's good I can laugh off a bad round though now I'm older, slower, weaker and less fit however. Haha.

> >

> > I think I got a little ahead of myself I'm at least a few years away from breaking 80 probably with my new set up realistically. I'm just trying to keep it in play best I can - as far up as I can then rely on my short game (which needs work). Oh well, at least I broke 90 from the back! Good luck to you too next round out (and onwards)

>

> Getting ahead of ourselves happens to everyone, especially when playing shorter yardages. People too often assume they will eat the shorter yardage up and score a lot better. NOT true. I play with a few big hitters and every now and then get them to play a shorter 6700yd difficult and fast, target course. They always pull the driver and swing out of their shoes, regardless of what the hole says, bringing most hazards into play, resulting in shots they don't have. Courses they normally play are not very penile when in the rough. On a course like I speak of, mistakes are penile. Also, when a person has reasonable control over their driver, moving to longer yardage can be safer, as it takes hazards out of play.

>

> I know one tournament level course where #1 is a dog-leg right, not long par 5. Many people see its yardage, not the conditions. From the blue tees, it requires a soft fade. But if the driver double-crosses me, my ball will run through the dog-leg into some ugly tight trees and rough, costing a punchout stroke; so I use 2 iron on that tee to the dog-leg. My two buddies were either through the left-side dog-leg in junk or cut the corner too much ending up on a dramatic sloping hillside in the rough on the right-side. Good golf, IMO, is first about course management, then knowing one's strengths and weaknesses and playing to our strengths. Have a good weekend and play well. :)

Yes. If you miss fairway on my course by more than five yards on most holes the ball is lost, so usually I'm conservative. The fairway’s aren’t tight, medium width so makes for a fair course. Good amount of bunkers, trees and water defending the fairway/green in appropriate locations. Some undulated greens and elevated shots and elavated greens. My eyes lit up at some of the shorter yardages from the further forward tees and it cost me dearly! I think you are right about yardages and other stuff commented on. It's all about course management and I'm a lot more careful, controlled and considered in my approach from the back tees. I need to get into that mindset from the member's tees to play my best golf. Golf is a great game with the mental stuff and tactics involved.

• Like 1