2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

So you own more than one iron set...

mxskier

What do you do with them? Swap them regularly? Have a travel bag and a home bag? (Are they the same?) How do you express your inner golf ho?

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6x

Titleist TSi2 3W, 5W Ventus TR Blue 7x

Callaway Apex Pro 4i DG120 X100

Callaway Apex CB 5i-PW DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50/55/60 Oban CT 115 S

TaylorMade Spider X

I currently own -

TM M1 irons 4-PW

TM R9 irons 4-PW

Srixon Z355 5-PW

But none of those get a look in as in my bag there is a 4-PW set of John Letters MM Forged Prototype irons that are by far and away the best set I've ever owned. I love the idea of the tech in all my other sets, but they are all a little to big and chunky for my tastes. They all sit in various closets around the house waiting to be 'sold' and annoying my wife.

I have a number of sets. I should only have one, but I don't. By order of acquirement:

1. Hogan Radials. My first set, restored/refinished and (as I joke) the finest condition set of Hogan Radials in the world. They live in a bag in a shed pending better display options.

2. Taylormade Burner Plus's. My high school irons, recently replaced. I should note that one year ago, these were the only two sets I owned. They live in a box in the closet for either my dad if he wants to move on from ping zings or to sell to the high school coach to give to some kid.

3. Hogan Apex '88's. I bought these to be my long-term set last June. Then I found they started rusting and their grooves are non-conforming. They live in a box in the closet pending better display options.

4. Hogan Apex '99's. See above, but not rusting and groove-legal. They live in my California bag.

5. Wilson Staff Fluid Feel Tour Blades. Intended to be a shaft-donor for other projects, but I forgot the rule of shafts and Wilson heads ("Forget about it!"). Also in a box, also in the closet.

6. Hogan Apex Edge Pro's. My Finland clubs, that I just fired. Until this week they were my #1 gamers. They lived in my club locker in Finland. Will probably sell to my future brother-in-law.

7. 1951 Spalding Robert Jones Registered. My vintage set, matching a set of woods from my great grandfather.

8. Hogan Apex '03. Arrived yesterday, will go into play once re-gripped, will live in locker in Finland.

• Like 1

Way too many sets on hand, but can't bring myself to get rid of any of them:

1. TaylorMade rac Forged TP | 2-PW | Main gaming set, use it for most casual rounds.

2. Mizuno MP-60 | 2-PW | Competition set, since the TMs have non-conforming grooves apparently.

3. Wilson Staff RM | 1-PW | Used this set from '97-'07, bring out for the occasional odd round.

4. TaylorMade rac Forged TP | 2-PW | Spare travel set, for tossing around on airlines.

5. Mizuno MP-60 | 3-PW | My USA clubs, so don't have to lug a travel set across the ocean.

6. Wilson Staff RM | 1-PW | Needs to be restored and refinished to playing specs.

7. Ping Eye 2 | 1-PW-SW-LW | Replica of set I grew up with in high school, bring out for nostalgic rounds.

8. Mizuno T-Zoid Pro II | 1-PW | Retired set used from '07-'17, occasional odd round.

9. TaylorMade rac MB | 1-PW-GW-AW-SW-LW | Last set I bought with 1-iron, love look of blades, but game not there.

10. TaylorMade R5 | 3-PW-SW-LW | Spare set to loan for visitors coming in from out of town.

11. King Cobra Oversize II | 3-PW | Friend sold me the set, waiting to reshaft and sell/give away.

12. Wilson Staff RM Fatshaft | 3-PW | Bought new, didn't realize Fatshaft kind of useless to convert to normal.

Will most likely stop there for now, not a fan of newer irons with whacked out lofts. That being said though, trying to curtail the club addiction for now....

-VS

MAIN SET
Driver - TaylorMade 2009 Burner TP 8.5° | Alidila Rogue 125 MSI Tour I/O 60 X Flex
3-Wood - TaylorMade 2007 Burner TP 14.5° | Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73X X Flex
2-9 Irons - Mizuno MP-60 Cut Muscle | Dynamic Gold SL X100 Flex
Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM6 50°/08F, 56°/14F, 60°/10S | Dynamic Gold X100 Flex
Putter - Titleist Scotty Cameron Squareback 1.5 | Golf Pride Tour Tradition Grip
Balls - Titleist Pro V1x

Grips - Golf Pride MCC | Black/Grey Plus4 ALIGN Midsize

I have a set of wishons in the basement... when I finally replace my 22 year old irons, I’m probably going to gun metal finish them and find a place to put them.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I'm new to the multi set group.

My daily driver is my Mizuno MP4 set 3-P

My sunny Sunday let's get the roadster out set is my new P7TW set, 3-P. Both have Nippon Modus 130x, the Mizunos are soft stepped once.

Still trying to decide if I take the TWs to Dallas for a trip...

Titleist 915 D3 8.5* W/ Fujikura Speeder Pro74, set at A1
Titleist 915 FD 15* W/ Diamana 70 Whiteboard, set A1
Mizuno MP4 3-P W/ Nippon Modus3 130X
Mizuno T5 50*, 54*, 58* 50 & 54 with Modus 130x and 58 with Modus wedge 125x
Byron Morgan 006 GSS

Current set is my Callaway Apex '19.

They replaced Ping IE's.

I also have a set of Hogan Edge which were my first set of real clubs, so I'm just hanging on to them for sentimental reasons.

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 9* with Oban Isawa 55
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3hl and 5-wood with Aldila NVS
Callaway Ai smoke TD 7-wood with Aldila NVS
Callaway Ai Smoke 5h with Project X Cypher
Callaway Apex Pro  6-AW irons with Nippon Modus 105
Callaway Jaws Raw 52 with Nippon Modus 105
Callaway Jaws Raw 56 with Nippon Modus 105
Toulon LeMans or Ai Mini Jailbird

Was on a "combo binge" recently, had a few sets that were purchased just to mix and match, these remain:

Callaway X20pros 3 to p, Callaway 07 X Forged 4 to p. X20s were bought a few seasons ago, the game needed some "help" as I was struggling with irons. Game improved, bought the X Forged, and comboed the lower irons with X20s.

Mizuno MP15, 5 to p, Fli Hi 4 iron. Gaming these now for a few weeks.

Mizuno MP5 3 to p. Just snagged these off of Ebay, will try them out, possibly combo with MP15s and Fli Hi.

I Have 3 sets that see the course:

Currently in play : Cobra Forged Tec Black, Modus 105 stiff

2nd String: Srixon Z765 Modus 105 stiff

Number 3 : Adams CB3 W Steelfiber 110 cw stiff ( I play these if my elbow or wrist starts hurting.

I also have my dad's 1969 W/S Bullet Backs that go to the range now and then.

My wife would love for me to get rid of some of them.......

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

God it is embarrassing.....I hoed a bunch, then got down to 2-3 sets, now I am at 5 and here is the how and why.

Mp14s, had since college, can't get what they are worth to me, have no desire to lose them even though I don't use them. Made them raw and with graphite for fun.

Miura small blades. These see 70% of the action. They are my trusty old show that I have the most best rounds with in last 5 years and most confidence in.

Onoff shingo cbs. In effort to find a CB set, I got these for a song, they look weird, but feel good and are forgiving as all getout. They are not my CB answer but they are intriguing with recoil proto 110s.

Onoff MB Miura forged. I stole them, then proceeded to strip and copper plate them, then put in attas 10s shafts. I put too much into them but they are beautiful and functional. Like a bigger small blade. This is my roadster set.

And I just bought Miura 1957 CB heads...doh. I was at a Edwin Watts's that had them so I hit them...mistake. I keep chasing the DCI 962s I had, these really had that vibe to me in terms of very CB but not very not CB and a squarish toe! These hopefully are my CB answer, so when I had a shot at heads for $400 on ebay, and having the roddio i10 shafts in my garage I am too scared to put on my small blades, I just bought them. Shafting up over next couple of weeks.

I really don't like having a lot of sets, I like 1 me and one CB set, and I rotate them out like having two starting pitchers. For me it is mental. If I haven't played in a while I grab the cbs, if I am playing good with either hot hand stays until not hot 2 rounds in a row sorta thing. I don't like having more than 2 sets to think about grabbing, yet here I am, on WRX with 5 sets.....reality is that hopefully the Miuras and the novelty blade sets for fun. I think you can switch iron sets with ok results in long term scoring, but you MUST have 2 sets that feel like home to you, easier said than found.

I have a set of 716CB’s and Mizuno Mp68’s.

I had the mp68’s re shafted, the twits took all of the weight plugs out and ruined them, I am waiting for a bit of spare cash to have them re built.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

I've been trending down every adjustment this year (started 9.2 down to 7.1) and did it all with my Apex Pro 19 irons. But really was because of a driver change where my driving is letting me actually hit at the pin. Have been flushing my irons really well, so wanted to try out blades because, well, they're sexy.

Struggling how to decide which set to play when I go out... (these are great first world problems to have)

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6x

Titleist TSi2 3W, 5W Ventus TR Blue 7x

Callaway Apex Pro 4i DG120 X100

Callaway Apex CB 5i-PW DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50/55/60 Oban CT 115 S

TaylorMade Spider X

It's a disease but I play all of mine. Been hemming over selling a few. The more I get to practice and play the more 1 set stays in the bag. I've been rebuilding my swing so been sticking with Miura CB1008 at the moment but have Small Blades, MC501, P770, P790, Z785 and a couple other older sets. I need to sell some stuff

I had eight, sold 4, got 1 more, one on order

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I got a few sets of myself in my basement starting in chronological order by the time it was acquired.

Wilson FG-17s in 2-PW (Bought it for $100 in 2000 when I just started golfing...didn't know better)

1971 Wilson Staff Button Backs in 2-PW (Bought it in 2001...still didn't know better)

2002 Tommy Armour Oversize Plus in 3-PW (Got it in the mid 2000s brand new on closeout, first and only set of irons that bought brand new)

Maxfli Revolution Black Dots in 3-PW (Got it in the mid 2000s)

1988 Tommy Armour 845s in 1-SW (Got it in 2014 for $100 CDN, but bought a 3-PW of them originally in 2003 but sold them off in 2005)

Ram Axial Grinds in 2-PW (Got it for $40 CDN from Craigslist a few years ago on a lark, looking to get rid of it, PM me if you're interested, I'll make you a deal you can't refuse)

1997 Callaway Bertha Golds in 3-SW (Got it a last year off Craigslist for $140 CDN, gifted them to my girlfriend but storing it at my place for her)

Titleist 990s in 3-PW (Got it last Christmas from Globalgolf.ca for $100 CDN)

1999 Ben Hogan Apex in 2-PW (Was listed on Craigslist a few days ago for $100 CDN, but got him down to $80 CDN, I practically robbed him) and the 990s are kicked out. The feel is insane and not that hard to hit compared to my 990s.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Mine pretty much sit in the boxes I got them in waiting for me to pull them out to look at or play with occasionally. Wish I could say I displayed them a little better considering the investment.

Mizuno MP-33

Mizuno MP-32

Mizuno MP-57

Mizuno MP-64

Epon AF-302 Copper

Callaway Legacy Black

Edit:

Completely forgot about the set of Miura CB-57s, Jesus.

Got a set of 33s as an “extra” set but only because it’s not worth the hassle of selling for the $150-200 I would get for them.

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

How’d you get the 14s to a raw finish? > @Bigmean said:

> God it is embarrassing.....I hoed a bunch, then got down to 2-3 sets, now I am at 5 and here is the how and why.

>

> Mp14s, had since college, can't get what they are worth to me, have no desire to lose them even though I don't use them. Made them raw and with graphite for fun.

>

> Miura small blades. These see 70% of the action. They are my trusty old show that I have the most best rounds with in last 5 years and most confidence in.

>

> Onoff shingo cbs. In effort to find a CB set, I got these for a song, they look weird, but feel good and are forgiving as all getout. They are not my CB answer but they are intriguing with recoil proto 110s.

>

> Onoff MB Miura forged. I stole them, then proceeded to strip and copper plate them, then put in attas 10s shafts. I put too much into them but they are beautiful and functional. Like a bigger small blade. This is my roadster set.

>

> And I just bought Miura 1957 CB heads...doh. I was at a Edwin Watts's that had them so I hit them...mistake. I keep chasing the DCI 962s I had, these really had that vibe to me in terms of very CB but not very not CB and a squarish toe! These hopefully are my CB answer, so when I had a shot at heads for $400 on ebay, and having the roddio i10 shafts in my garage I am too scared to put on my small blades, I just bought them. Shafting up over next couple of weeks.

>

>

> I really don't like having a lot of sets, I like 1 me and one CB set, and I rotate them out like having two starting pitchers. For me it is mental. If I haven't played in a while I grab the cbs, if I am playing good with either hot hand stays until not hot 2 rounds in a row sorta thing. I don't like having more than 2 sets to think about grabbing, yet here I am, on WRX with 5 sets.....reality is that hopefully the Miuras and the novelty blade sets for fun. I think you can switch iron sets with ok results in long term scoring, but you MUST have 2 sets that feel like home to you, easier said than found.

> @Bigmean said:

> God it is embarrassing.....I hoed a bunch, then got down to 2-3 sets, now I am at 5 and here is the how and why.

>

> Mp14s, had since college, can't get what they are worth to me, have no desire to lose them even though I don't use them. Made them raw and with graphite for fun.

>

> Miura small blades. These see 70% of the action. They are my trusty old show that I have the most best rounds with in last 5 years and most confidence in.

>

> Onoff shingo cbs. In effort to find a CB set, I got these for a song, they look weird, but feel good and are forgiving as all getout. They are not my CB answer but they are intriguing with recoil proto 110s.

>

> Onoff MB Miura forged. I stole them, then proceeded to strip and copper plate them, then put in attas 10s shafts. I put too much into them but they are beautiful and functional. Like a bigger small blade. This is my roadster set.

>

> And I just bought Miura 1957 CB heads...doh. I was at a Edwin Watts's that had them so I hit them...mistake. I keep chasing the DCI 962s I had, these really had that vibe to me in terms of very CB but not very not CB and a squarish toe! These hopefully are my CB answer, so when I had a shot at heads for $400 on ebay, and having the roddio i10 shafts in my garage I am too scared to put on my small blades, I just bought them. Shafting up over next couple of weeks.

>

>

> I really don't like having a lot of sets, I like 1 me and one CB set, and I rotate them out like having two starting pitchers. For me it is mental. If I haven't played in a while I grab the cbs, if I am playing good with either hot hand stays until not hot 2 rounds in a row sorta thing. I don't like having more than 2 sets to think about grabbing, yet here I am, on WRX with 5 sets.....reality is that hopefully the Miuras and the novelty blade sets for fun. I think you can switch iron sets with ok results in long term scoring, but you MUST have 2 sets that feel like home to you, easier said than found.

2 sets of CB 57's I rotate and a set of MP-25's I never touch.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Red 6s

G430 LST 3 wood Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood Ventus TR Red 8s 

Callaway Apex Pro 3 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0311 XP 5 PX LZ 6.5

0311 P 6 P LZ 6.5

0317 T  7-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  52, 56

PM Grind 60

Lab Link 1