DeChambeau: entitled baby?

jc4birdie

Other than slow play, what's wrong? Everything I've seen of him and his dealings with other players and fans seems he's a genuine and upstanding guy. You don't like that he was shocked when Wolff made a long putt? You don't like that Bryson congratulated Wolff - while Bryson was signing autographs and greeting fans. Yeah, what a ****** for sure.

• Like 1

I have no problem with his reaction. I pretty much disagree with everything except the slow play (mentioned by another poster) and the media declared “genius” status, which Bryson is guilty of permeating. I could be wrong but I think he only has on degree and it’s not even a PHD. The media, and Bryson, act like he’s got more degrees than a thermometer.

> @jc4birdie said:

> I'm not one to be very public in any negative thoughts I have about pro golfers, but DeChambeau's behavior this weekend at the 3M was petulant and child-like, and unfortunately it's not the first time I've seen it from this media-declared "golf genius". He acts as if he has a RIGHT to every good break and should be immune from his "science" not working precisely as he thinks it's supposed to....just a very bad look to see him giving disgusted talks to holes/pins and muttering to himself like he's Mr. Large and In-Charge!

>

> He supplanted Spieth this weekend in my mind as pro golf's whiniest horse's rear-end. His walkaway when Wolff drained the winning putt, on camera, was highly petulant....contrast that to Phil's grace when Stewart drained a 20 footer to beat him in a US Open.

Dude made an eagle on the last hole to take the lead in the tournament and then was beaten on the final hole by competitor - what, was he supposed to be happy? You think Phil was happy when Payne beat him? Please.

A lot of these guys are friends off the course...but once inside the ropes, they are fierce competitors. They want to beat the crap out of everyone else. This is the most misunderstood fact among many people who watch professional athletics.

> @NevinW said:

> My former club hosts a PGA tour event. All I know is that there was universal acclaim from the club staff and employees about what a great guy Dechambeau is and how well he treated them. Well beyond the standard. No, I don't think he is an entitled baby.

biggest problem with him is SLOW play. His display after HIS eagle on 18 was modest by comparison w Tiger and other chest beaters.

Bryson's antics come down to his drive for perfection. It is the same drive that Tiger had, he just did it differently, and he won all the time. He can be a bit of a knucklehead, and I am not a fan of the golf scientist thing. But that is not his fault. He didn't give himself that title. So he gets a pass from me for that. My single criticism of Bryson is play speed other than that, I am a big fan of his game.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

His reaction after the eagle was exactly like what I’d expect a competitor to exhibit. If you smile when a guy dumps on you to win , you’re a beta who deserves to lose. And after a brief frown of disbelief he does the honorable thing and congratulated him. Anybody who claims to be happy to lose is either lying or doesn’t belong in competition. And if you aren’t happy then how do you square a fake reaction ?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

As mentioned, other than his slow play, could care less. Dude pulled off a sweet shot and made a clutch putt - only to get beat by the same combo. Yeah, Id be miffed too.

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

Bryson and slow play are a bit tough for me to swallow. I get that he is deliberate, and likes to use "science" to help, whatever works. But unless he is playing in front of me, who cares how long it takes for him to play a shot?

Watching him yesterday, he seems to move briskly around while he and his caddy are contemplating the shot, and it looks like he gets to it once he is done ruminating..

Piercy's putting routine is annoying and slow too, but I'm not sitting in the fairway waiting to hit...

> @jc4birdie said:

> I'm not one to be very public in any negative thoughts I have about pro golfers, but DeChambeau's behavior this weekend at the 3M was petulant and child-like, and unfortunately it's not the first time I've seen it from this media-declared "golf genius". He acts as if he has a RIGHT to every good break and should be immune from his "science" not working precisely as he thinks it's supposed to....just a very bad look to see him giving disgusted talks to holes/pins and muttering to himself like he's Mr. Large and In-Charge!

>

> He supplanted Spieth this weekend in my mind as pro golf's whiniest horse's rear-end. His walkaway when Wolff drained the winning putt, on camera, was highly petulant....contrast that to Phil's grace when Stewart drained a 20 footer to beat him in a US Open.

His emotional reactions are fine and I actually like him, but I can't stand looking at that swing of his or his slow play.

> @Llortamaisey said:

> I have no problem with his reaction. I pretty much disagree with everything except the slow play (mentioned by another poster) and the media declared “genius” status, which Bryson is guilty of permeating. I could be wrong but I think he only has on degree and it’s not even a PHD. The media, and Bryson, act like he’s got more degrees than a thermometer.

He's got ZERO degrees.

> @idrive said:

> I love the way people judge people they don't know.

> Unless you know someone first hand, have person to person contact and interactions with this person, truth is you don't have the right to judge anyone in the first place.

> He's not my favorite golfer but the guy works his a** off and is trying to be the best he can be and what he does. Are you?

Wait, aren't you judging BD in a positive way? Do you know him personally?

If you're going to bash someone for behavior you don't like, at least give them the courtesy of not repeating said behavior.

> @Llortamaisey said:

> I have no problem with his reaction. I pretty much disagree with everything except the slow play (mentioned by another poster) and the media declared “genius” status, which Bryson is guilty of permeating. I could be wrong but I think he only has on degree and it’s not even a PHD. The media, and Bryson, act like he’s got more degrees than a thermometer.

no degree, never graduated.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @Noke said:

> > @Llortamaisey said:

> > I have no problem with his reaction. I pretty much disagree with everything except the slow play (mentioned by another poster) and the media declared “genius” status, which Bryson is guilty of permeating. I could be wrong but I think he only has on degree and it’s not even a PHD. The media, and Bryson, act like he’s got more degrees than a thermometer.

>

> He's got ZERO degrees.

>

To be fair. Most of the dumbest people I’ve ever met have at least 1. Usually 2.

• Like 2

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @falken19150 said:

> Followed him at the U.S. Open at Pebble. Based on his interaction with fans I would say the OP is not correct. I found Bryson to be engaging and funny. He was high-fiving everyone, passing out balls etc. I did a total 180 on him after following him in person.

I followed him for a couple holes at the BMW. All ten of us. Almost everyone else was following Tiger. Bryson noticed a guy next to me wearing a Hogan cap and gave him a thumbs up. Bryson was also very nice to the volunteers that I saw.

> @bladehunter said:

> > @Noke said:

> > > @Llortamaisey said:

> > > I have no problem with his reaction. I pretty much disagree with everything except the slow play (mentioned by another poster) and the media declared “genius” status, which Bryson is guilty of permeating. I could be wrong but I think he only has on degree and it’s not even a PHD. The media, and Bryson, act like he’s got more degrees than a thermometer.

> >

> > He's got ZERO degrees.

> >

>

> To be fair. Most of the dumbest people I’ve ever met have at least 1. Usually 2.

Haha true that. I think he is whinny but I thought he handled the loss exactly how someone in his situation would have handled it - it looked like a mix of shock and disappointment, and he stuck around to congratulate Matt for the win.

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

I have always liked Bryson because he's different and does not seem fake. You know what kind of mood he's in just by looking at him usually. I also like Wolff because he's different and doesn't give a flying ****. However, the one thing that I noticed in Hartford a couple weeks ago that made me sit back a bit and question myself for a moment - Bryson at the range and finishing his pre-round work a couple of feet next to Phil, he hits his last shot on the range and his caddy is cleaning up their stall and walks over to throw away some garbage before they head to the tee box. Bryson just stands there almost slack jawed holding his club out waiting for the caddy to come back and take it from him when he is literally 2 feet from the bag. He stood there like an a** for a good 15 seconds waiting for his caddy with his arm out like a little entitled kid. Still like him but just a little bit less now haha.

> @ExTrumpet said:

> I love his putting stroke. Very fluid, so natural.

Lol. I almost spat out my coffee. Very well played sir.

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @Llortamaisey said:

As others have stated, scholastically speaking, BAD is like the freezing point celsius, zero degrees. However, I think the whole "scientist" angle is just a schtick, like a babyface or heel vignette of wrestlers from the 80's. Sure, he might be offending scientists, geniuses, or college graduates for that matter, but I don't think anyone really believes he is smart, it's just part of the act, kind of like no one really believed Ted DiBiase was a millionaire, and Virgil definitely wasn't his bodyguard.

I believe more golfers should have vignettes like wrestlers. It would make it more interesting. Tiger Woods would obviously be the Nature Boy. The sport needs more heels and babyfaces.

• Like 1

> @jc4birdie said:

>

Im not a fan of his, but he was fine from the 18th green onward. He thanked the walking group and acknowledged a bunch of fans and simply asked if Wolff made the putt when he heard the crowd.

Bryson happened to hit a ball at Firestone that landed in my chair. The marshal had me get out of the chair so that Bryson could see the ball and make a drop. He was a bit dumbfounded on where it went, but otherwise nothing out of the ordinary.

I do agree that he plays a bit slow though. They played outside of the 6:00 window yesterday.

> @toc said:

> Something I’m confused about: several people have argued that the OP isn’t qualified to judge/criticize based on TV coverage. By that logic, are people not qualified to be fans of golfers based solely off tv coverage? I mean for the vast majority of the golfing public TV is the only interaction they have with players and thus the only means they have of deciding which players they like and which they do not.

When you don't even bother to provide the right context, which happens more often than not with these "did you see what happened, what a ______" threads, it gets old.

OP should be but won't be embarrassed.

If I had a nickel for every time a thread gets started and there is video evidence exonerating the player or showing what really happened to be much different than the OP's accusations . . .

> @Noke said:

> > @Llortamaisey said:

> > I have no problem with his reaction. I pretty much disagree with everything except the slow play (mentioned by another poster) and the media declared “genius” status, which Bryson is guilty of permeating. I could be wrong but I think he only has on degree and it’s not even a PHD. The media, and Bryson, act like he’s got more degrees than a thermometer.

>

> He's got ZERO degrees.

>

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @Llortamaisey said:

>

> no degree, never graduated.

It takes a big man to admit that he’s wrong and I’m not a big man.

• Like 1

> @bladehunter said:

> > @Noke said:

> > > @Llortamaisey said:

> > > I have no problem with his reaction. I pretty much disagree with everything except the slow play (mentioned by another poster) and the media declared “genius” status, which Bryson is guilty of permeating. I could be wrong but I think he only has on degree and it’s not even a PHD. The media, and Bryson, act like he’s got more degrees than a thermometer.

> >

> > He's got ZERO degrees.

> >

>

> To be fair. Most of the dumbest people I’ve ever met have at least 1. Usually 2.

Disagree.

You must not have gotten to know many people with college degrees, then, as people with undergraduate and graduate degrees tend to score higher (on average) on intelligence testing than those without.

Perhaps to you ‘not smart’ might mean ‘not the way I like to do things’, or, ‘can see nuances in decision-making and take time to think through things’, or ‘no common sense’ (whatever that means), or ‘degrees are elitist’. Just a guess.

My experience has been exactly opposite of yours. I have friends with academic degrees and they are by far the smartest people I know. In fact my wife, with her 3 degrees lol, is perhaps the single most intelligent person I’ve met. But I’m biased.

Of course I am not saying that people don’t learn or are stupid if they don’t have a degree. Life has a way of teaching us, as do on the job experiences.

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @toc said:

> > Something I’m confused about: several people have argued that the OP isn’t qualified to judge/criticize based on TV coverage. By that logic, are people not qualified to be fans of golfers based solely off tv coverage? I mean for the vast majority of the golfing public TV is the only interaction they have with players and thus the only means they have of deciding which players they like and which they do not.

>

> When you don't even bother to provide the right context, which happens more often than not with these "did you see what happened, what a ______" threads, it gets old.

>

> OP should be but won't be embarrassed.

>

> If I had a nickel for every time a thread gets started and there is video evidence exonerating the player or showing what really happened to be much different than the OP's accusations . . .

Jesus, man, it’s a forum. Thread content will invariably become redundant. There are just too many people here to expect every user to know all content.

Buck up and stop your whining.