FIFA Women's World Cup

Awesome.....another World Cup in the bag for the USWNT. How is it that the U.S. can produce such a dominant force in the women's game, but the men's national team can't even muster up a W against Trinidad and Tobago?? Yes, we are more culturally geared toward football, baseball, golf, etc......but you'd think with 320+ million people and all the resources here, we'd fare a bit better. Perhaps the ladies should represent the US in Qatar in 2022.....ha!

Great Cup. I watched every game. Congrats USWNT!!!!! And watched the Men's also. As they lost Champ. to Mexico 1-0 in a game the U.S. should of won in the first half. SOS.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

easy, were lightyears ahead of most other countries in terms of promoting and pushing womens sports (thanks title IX). Not to say whether or not womens sports get the amount of resources they should that's an entirely different argument but title IX came around 50 years ago so weve got a huge jump on most everyone else

• Like 1

> @Qqq123xx said:

> Great Cup. I watched every game. Congrats USWNT!!!!! And watched the Men's also. As they lost Champ. to Mexico 1-0 in a game the U.S. should of won in the first half. SOS.

> @Qqq123xx said:

> Great Cup. I watched every game. Congrats USWNT!!!!! And watched the Men's also. As they lost Champ. to Mexico 1-0 in a game the U.S. should of won in the first half. SOS.

Should have been more precise, as my criticism is directed at their World Cup performances........pretty good showing at the CONCACAF....then again, the US wasn't exactly facing any powerhouses in this event. I'm still hopeful we'll get there one day!

> @Zac1321 said:

> easy, were lightyears ahead of most other countries in terms of promoting and pushing womens sports (thanks title IX). Not to say whether or not womens sports get the amount of resources they should that's an entirely different argument but title IX came around 50 years ago so weve got a huge jump on most everyone else

But that doesn't answer the other question of why the US men are lagging so far behind the world's top programs.

> @"Crazy About Golf" said:

> > @Zac1321 said:

> > easy, were lightyears ahead of most other countries in terms of promoting and pushing womens sports (thanks title IX). Not to say whether or not womens sports get the amount of resources they should that's an entirely different argument but title IX came around 50 years ago so weve got a huge jump on most everyone else

>

> But that doesn't answer the other question of why the US men are lagging so far behind the world's top programs.

I don't think there's any secret reason why other countries are so much better. The US's best athletes just don't play soccer. In fact I'd say it's way down the list although that trend may be changing but that's just my feeling, I have no evidence to back it up.

• Like 1

> @"Chief Illiniwek" said:

> > @"Crazy About Golf" said:

> > > @Zac1321 said:

> > > easy, were lightyears ahead of most other countries in terms of promoting and pushing womens sports (thanks title IX). Not to say whether or not womens sports get the amount of resources they should that's an entirely different argument but title IX came around 50 years ago so weve got a huge jump on most everyone else

> >

> > But that doesn't answer the other question of why the US men are lagging so far behind the world's top programs.

>

> I don't think there's any secret reason why other countries are so much better. The US's best athletes just don't play soccer. In fact I'd say it's way down the list although that trend may be changing but that's just my feeling, I have no evidence to back it up.

yeah pretty much, same reason why no other countries are good at (or even really play) American football etc etc

• Like 1

> @"Chief Illiniwek" said:

> > > @Zac1321 said:

> > > easy, were lightyears ahead of most other countries in terms of promoting and pushing womens sports (thanks title IX). Not to say whether or not womens sports get the amount of resources they should that's an entirely different argument but title IX came around 50 years ago so weve got a huge jump on most everyone else

> >

> > But that doesn't answer the other question of why the US men are lagging so far behind the world's top programs.

>

> I don't think there's any secret reason why other countries are so much better. The US's best athletes just don't play soccer. In fact I'd say it's way down the list although that trend may be changing but that's just my feeling, I have no evidence to back it up.

This.

Also, MLS players don't make what NFL, NBA or NHL, so athletes with aspirations to be professional athletes don't line up to play soccer. Male soccer players are well paid in other parts of the world, but those parts dont have competition with other pro leagues.

• Like 1

> Awesome.....another World Cup in the bag for the USWNT. How is it that the U.S. can produce such a dominant force in the women's game, but the men's national team can't even muster up a W against Trinidad and Tobago?? Yes, we are more culturally geared toward football, baseball, golf, etc......but you'd think with 320+ million people and all the resources here, we'd fare a bit better. Perhaps the ladies should represent the US in Qatar in 2022.....ha!

It starts a the top. Nothing but a bunch of imbeciles running it.

Women's football is not really popular in Europe. Which means that there is not a lot of money to be made which leads to bad infrastructure and not a lot of professional players.

I don't see this changing anytime soon, too. There is too much money to be made in the men's game and the people are so accustomed to high-level, men's football that the female matches feel incredibly slow in comparison.

You have a sport which is affordable everywhere else in the world and the game of the streets. Here you have to pay to play to the point that poor kids have no access to the game at a high level and most kids in the streets play basketball not soccer.

That doesn’t even go into the structural issues of the US system with sub-par coaching and horrible talent identification and development practices.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

> @GolfChannel said:

> You have a sport which is affordable everywhere else in the world and the game of the streets. Here you have to pay to play to the point that poor kids have no access to the game at a high level and most kids in the streets play basketball not soccer.

>

> That doesn’t even go into the structural issues of the US system with sub-par coaching and horrible talent identification and development practices.

Yes, pretty much what the article in the link above says......fingers crossed for a 3-peat by the ladies in 2023 and at least a solid performance by the men the year before.

It's not the us main sport. The women's game has grown alot in the uk recently with much larger crowds watching it but it's a million miles off the mens game. However, the national team has done well and having Phil neville as manager has really raised its profile. But the women's game gets larger numbers in Europe at present time with Barcelona, Juventus and lyon attracting 50k plus crowds recently..... And the first game of uks women's season is a Manchester Derby..... Be interesting to see what the crowd is.

The US has the potential to have the main football league but its never lifted off as you love baseball, us football, hockey and basketball far more..... But you have a world Cup again soonish so the men might benefit from that

> > @GolfChannel said:

> > You have a sport which is affordable everywhere else in the world and the game of the streets. Here you have to pay to play to the point that poor kids have no access to the game at a high level and most kids in the streets play basketball not soccer.

> >

> > That doesn’t even go into the structural issues of the US system with sub-par coaching and horrible talent identification and development practices.

>

> Yes, pretty much what the article in the link above says......fingers crossed for a 3-peat by the ladies in 2023 and at least a solid performance by the men the year before.

"Solid performance"?, let's set the bar at qualifying first

• Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

> @brew4eagle said:

> > > @GolfChannel said:

> > > You have a sport which is affordable everywhere else in the world and the game of the streets. Here you have to pay to play to the point that poor kids have no access to the game at a high level and most kids in the streets play basketball not soccer.

> > >

> > > That doesn’t even go into the structural issues of the US system with sub-par coaching and horrible talent identification and development practices.

> >

> > Yes, pretty much what the article in the link above says......fingers crossed for a 3-peat by the ladies in 2023 and at least a solid performance by the men the year before.

>

> "Solid performance"?, let's set the bar at qualifying first.

No need to quibble......hoping that they qualify is kind of a given.....I don't have incredibly high expectations; but again, my fingers are crossed for them to have a solid performance.

I will tell you with 2 girls in youth soccer, there are more places for girls to learn and play then boys. My 8 year old signed up for boys soccer camp, only girl but 20 boys. Week later she did the girls camp 60 girls. It is unreal then difference, comes down to other sports are more popular.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

> @sheppy335 said:

> I will tell you with 2 girls in youth soccer, there are more places for girls to learn and play then boys. My 8 year old signed up for boys soccer camp, only girl but 20 boys. Week later she did the girls camp 60 girls. It is unreal then difference, comes down to other sports are more popular.

In my area, when the girls get older there aren't enough girls registering to make teams for a league. My 12 year old will have to play U16 so there's enough girls to make a league.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

> @scruffynick said:

> It's not the us main sport.

Full stop.

When I was driving around Italy this spring, all you see are soccer fields. Out in the country, in small towns, even in the cities little half-fields with goals painted on the wall - everywhere. No (american) football fields. No hockey rinks. One basketball court that I can remember. No baseball fields. This is *the* difference that is never going to change no matter how much people want it to.

As far as the womens World Cup team, I just dont know how womens professional soccer gets more popular. When I was younger it was Mia Hamm that was *the* superstar in soccer. And each time after a World Cup it was about how much this was going to launch womens professional soccer in the US. But that hasnt happened. The 91 World Cup was now...28+ years ago and I dont see that much has changed outside of the usual post-WC surge in popularity.

I think the unfortunate bottom line is that outside of hardcore fans, it just does not appear to be financially viable. The only way I can see this changing would be either for long term, massive financial donations from sponsors or a situation like the WNBA where the MLS financially props up the NWSL and supports it no matter how much money is lost. Heck even during the WWC they were running stories about how the NWSL was on the brink of bankruptcy.

I love watching soccer but I've given up on it being wildly succesful in the US. But then again I'm not one of those "soccer people" that wants to convince you how great it is and thinks people are dumb who dont watch it. I really dont care what you watch. But from a business standpoint, its pretty clear that its a really hard sell in the US.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

> @dcmidnight said:

> > @scruffynick said:

> > It's not the us main sport.

>

> Full stop.

>

> When I was driving around Italy this spring, all you see are soccer fields. Out in the country, in small towns, even in the cities little half-fields with goals painted on the wall - everywhere. No (american) football fields. No hockey rinks. One basketball court that I can remember. No baseball fields. This is *the* difference that is never going to change no matter how much people want it to.

>

> As far as the womens World Cup team, I just dont know how womens professional soccer gets more popular. When I was younger it was Mia Hamm that was *the* superstar in soccer. And each time after a World Cup it was about how much this was going to launch womens professional soccer in the US. But that hasnt happened. The 91 World Cup was now...28+ years ago and I dont see that much has changed outside of the usual post-WC surge in popularity.

>

> I think the unfortunate bottom line is that outside of hardcore fans, it just does not appear to be financially viable. The only way I can see this changing would be either for long term, massive financial donations from sponsors or a situation like the WNBA where the MLS financially props up the NWSL and supports it no matter how much money is lost. Heck even during the WWC they were running stories about how the NWSL was on the brink of bankruptcy.

>

> I love watching soccer but I've given up on it being wildly succesful in the US. But then again I'm not one of those "soccer people" that wants to convince you how great it is and thinks people are dumb who dont watch it. I really dont care what you watch. But from a business standpoint, its pretty clear that its a really hard sell in the US.

Good Post, where in Italy have you been? Was a holiday rep for 4 years in Italy (in my youth thou) loved the country, people everything.... And yep all fanatical soccer supporters, but if you get the chance to go to a Rome Derby... Wow just wow!

> @scruffynick said:

> Good Post, where in Italy have you been? Was a holiday rep for 4 years in Italy (in my youth thou) loved the country, people everything.... And yep all fanatical soccer supporters, but if you get the chance to go to a Rome Derby... Wow just wow!

We did 2.5 weeks in Venice, Florence, Modena and Rome. It was amazing - I cannot wait to go back. We were going to go to a Roma game but in the weeks leading up to it they had a number of "incidents" at the stadium with visiting fans - including a fatal stabbing at a nearby bar. Decided, nah, we'll find something else to do lol.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

• 2 weeks later...

This should be entertaining, define what makes them the best?

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

This misconception that everyone says is so annoying. You don't need the "best athletes" playing soccer to be better. The US men's team is far more athletic than many teams way superior to it.

You need a proper culture of loving and living the sport. We don't have that, it's that simple soccer is a highly highly technical game. Think about the difference in skill level of a kid who grew up in Brazil, who plays on the street every waking moment, vs an American who's parents take him to soccer practice 3 yikes a week.

Now think about that and think about how almost every kid in Brazil is doing that. The competition is insane and the best of the best of the best make it

> @GolfChannel said:

> This should be entertaining, define what makes them the best?

Couldn’t agree more. Let those defensive units try and play rugby for 80mins non stop. Jeez some can’t manage running 10yards without needing oxygen. I know this is also a generalization and a little ignorant also ?

Also to suggest that the men’s soccer team has better athletes is ignorance of the highest order. Just complete nonsense

All pro teams have the trackers on players these days to see fitness levels etc. not like it was in the 70/80/90’s when they were all on the piss and eating shit food

There are many reasons why men’s soccer is complete garbage in the US.

Not competitive

No local infrastructure

Title 9 i college where no money for men’s soccer like women’s so there is nowhere to go after high school for most ( I may have the title 9 wrong there)

No money

And all this nonsense about they all play basketball or American football. Well even if there was a ton of money there’d only be so many doing soccer, soccer isn’t a game for larger athletes

Real football is ingrained in all European and South American cultures, this is the biggest one. There are 100’s of semi-pro teams in 50square miles, so many good players that aren’t good enough. Also 1000’s of amateur teams that play 2/3 times a week. America will never have that due to all of the above. Massive infrastructure everywhere else and it’s bred into us

• Like 1

> @dcmidnight said:

> > @scruffynick said:

> > Good Post, where in Italy have you been? Was a holiday rep for 4 years in Italy (in my youth thou) loved the country, people everything.... And yep all fanatical soccer supporters, but if you get the chance to go to a Rome Derby... Wow just wow!

>

> We did 2.5 weeks in Venice, Florence, Modena and Rome. It was amazing - I cannot wait to go back. We were going to go to a Roma game but in the weeks leading up to it they had a number of "incidents" at the stadium with visiting fans - including a fatal stabbing at a nearby bar. Decided, nah, we'll find something else to do lol.

>

>

Oh nots not good, but Rome is my favourite city. Just wonderful, and it just comes alive at night. Pitty Roma and lazio supporters aren't the best... Especially the ultras. Was a rep in North naples so I went to Rome alot, then up to Lake garda and if you get the chance to go to Lake garda..... Just take it in! Was based on the South corner called pescheria, stunning place