Georgia/Florida/SC Golf Course Communities

The wife and I are starting to look for a golf course community down south to get away to during the winter. Not ready to retire yet, but we both work from home 100% of the time, sow e can do that anywhere. We've visited The Landings Club in Georgia, and loved it. Looking for recommendations for other places to explore. We are probably going to go down to visit friends living in The Villages this fall. What we're looking for:

* Would prefer Georgia to Florida or SC, though SC within reasonable driving distance of Savannah would be great as well. No interest in Myrtle Beach, my mother lives there, and we're not fans. Ditto Hilton Head, visited there, and it just felt like Myrtle Beach with nicer strip malls.

* Would prefer a community with multiple courses, though a single course is not a deal-breaker.

* Rentability of the property when not in use is a huge factor.

* A program that allows unlimited golf for certain periods of the year, or reduced golf membership rates if you are not a full time resident, would be a big bonus.

Whatcha got?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went on a trip there once, thought the golf courses were nice, but nothing outstanding (Great Waters was closed and I did not get to play the private course there though). What is the area around the resort like? Did not get to see it.

> @golfsnake said:

> I would move to Reynolds plantation in a sec if i could...

• 2 weeks later...

As you mentioned, the Landings is great for what you are talking about. 6 courses. If you are member, I htink you have to only pay a cart fee to play. Great golfing community.

Also, while it’s out of most people’s price range, the Ford Plantation in Richmond Hill has a great course. Top 10 in the state. Also near Savannah with some great courses close by.

https://fordplantation.com

St Simons Island has some of the best courses in GA. Ocean Forest, Seaside, and Davis Love is redoing a course (Sea Palms, I think?) Not sure what membership prices are though. Probably insanely high.

A place that I discovered over the summer is a new place: Old Toccoa Farm. It’s near Blue Ridge, GA nestled in the mountains and right on the Toccoa River. They are building new mountain homes in there now. I’m actually really thinking about buying a place there to retire.

https://www.oldtoccoafarm.com

> @Divdevil said:

> As you mentioned, the Landings is great for what you are talking about. 6 courses. If you are member, I htink you have to only pay a cart fee to play. Great golfing community.

>

> Also, while it’s out of most people’s price range, the Ford Plantation in Richmond Hill has a great course. Top 10 in the state. Also near Savannah with some great courses close by.

> https://fordplantation.com

>

> St Simons Island has some of the best courses in GA. Ocean Forest, Seaside, and Davis Love is redoing a course (Sea Palms, I think?) Not sure what membership prices are though. Probably insanely high.

>

> A place that I discovered over the summer is a new place: Old Toccoa Farm. It’s near Blue Ridge, GA nestled in the mountains and right on the Toccoa River. They are building new mountain homes in there now. I’m actually really thinking about buying a place there to retire.

> https://www.oldtoccoafarm.com

We loved Richmond Hill, and were actually looking at Ford Plantation - until we saw the prices. The homes aren't unreasonable, but there's a $50k initiation fee, and the HOA fees were ridiculous.

St. Simons and Old Toccoa look interesting. Will have to do some more research. Thanks for the info.

> @SecondandGoal said:

> > @Divdevil said:

> > As you mentioned, the Landings is great for what you are talking about. 6 courses. If you are member, I htink you have to only pay a cart fee to play. Great golfing community.

> >

> > Also, while it’s out of most people’s price range, the Ford Plantation in Richmond Hill has a great course. Top 10 in the state. Also near Savannah with some great courses close by.

> > https://fordplantation.com

> >

> > St Simons Island has some of the best courses in GA. Ocean Forest, Seaside, and Davis Love is redoing a course (Sea Palms, I think?) Not sure what membership prices are though. Probably insanely high.

> >

> > A place that I discovered over the summer is a new place: Old Toccoa Farm. It’s near Blue Ridge, GA nestled in the mountains and right on the Toccoa River. They are building new mountain homes in there now. I’m actually really thinking about buying a place there to retire.

> > https://www.oldtoccoafarm.com

>

> We loved Richmond Hill, and were actually looking at Ford Plantation - until we saw the prices. The homes aren't unreasonable, but there's a $50k initiation fee, and the HOA fees were ridiculous.

>

> St. Simons and Old Toccoa look interesting. Will have to do some more research. Thanks for the info.

Heard that Old Toccoa has the other 9 holes opening up in a month or so. They might even be better than the 9 that are currently open! I can't wait to get up there and check it out. I saw the first 9 soon after they opened and if the other 9 turn out as they sound, it could be a special place. Just hope they can keep being successful finance-wise. Blue Ridge is an easy shot up from the NW side of Atlanta.

> @"Water Hazard" said:

> In SC, all in Bluffton, near Savannah:

> Palmetto Bluff

> Berkeley Hall

> Colleton River

>

>

> And you weren’t on island if you thought Hilton head was anything like Myrtle.

Played a round at a new course earlier this year, Hilton Head Island, in Bluffton. Nice area. Berkeley Hall we've looked at online, definitely a candidate. Hadn't heard of the others, will have to look into them.

I will respectfully disagree with you on HH. We were definitely on island, and it was all condos and strip malls. Extremely nice condos, nothing wrong with them, but not what we're looking for.

> @vinprun71 said:

> Miromar Lakes in Fort Myers, FL. It's pretty south. Gets hot in the summer, but the course is spectacular. The practice area is quite impressive as well. The community is awesome as well. Great central pool and great food.

Thanks, I'll have to check that out. Not too concerned about it being too hot in the summer, unless it kills rentability. We're looking to get away from the New England winter for a couple months, so the summer temps aren't as important to us.

> @SecondandGoal said:

> > @Divdevil said:

> > As you mentioned, the Landings is great for what you are talking about. 6 courses. If you are member, I htink you have to only pay a cart fee to play. Great golfing community.

> >

> > Also, while it’s out of most people’s price range, the Ford Plantation in Richmond Hill has a great course. Top 10 in the state. Also near Savannah with some great courses close by.

> > https://fordplantation.com

> >

> > St Simons Island has some of the best courses in GA. Ocean Forest, Seaside, and Davis Love is redoing a course (Sea Palms, I think?) Not sure what membership prices are though. Probably insanely high.

> >

> > A place that I discovered over the summer is a new place: Old Toccoa Farm. It’s near Blue Ridge, GA nestled in the mountains and right on the Toccoa River. They are building new mountain homes in there now. I’m actually really thinking about buying a place there to retire.

> > https://www.oldtoccoafarm.com

>

> We loved Richmond Hill, and were actually looking at Ford Plantation - until we saw the prices. The homes aren't unreasonable, but there's a $50k initiation fee, and the HOA fees were ridiculous.

>

> St. Simons and Old Toccoa look interesting. Will have to do some more research. Thanks for the info.

Pertaining to St Simons.... Davis Love is re-doing the Plantation course at the Sea Island Resort. 100k initiation, 3 courses.

Ocean Forest and Frederica are the high ends, way more expensive than Sea island resort.

Sea palms is going thru a redesign and is about to be private or at least semi... Lots of housing and condos there...seems very HHI to me, but not necessarily as nice.

If it were me I would purchase a property on St Simons somewhere, you could rent it out for 4 months straight during the summer, the population of the Island doubles during that time....and for golf I would join Brunswick CC, a fabulous old Donald Ross design, fantastic club and membership and playable all year round... Interstate membership is well under $200 per month, they also have seasonal memberships that are very affordable.

Only 1 course there, but it's a gem. 10 minutes from St Simons.

> @OutBackHack said:

> > @SecondandGoal said:

> > > @Divdevil said:

> > > As you mentioned, the Landings is great for what you are talking about. 6 courses. If you are member, I htink you have to only pay a cart fee to play. Great golfing community.

> > >

> > > Also, while it’s out of most people’s price range, the Ford Plantation in Richmond Hill has a great course. Top 10 in the state. Also near Savannah with some great courses close by.

> > > https://fordplantation.com

> > >

> > > St Simons Island has some of the best courses in GA. Ocean Forest, Seaside, and Davis Love is redoing a course (Sea Palms, I think?) Not sure what membership prices are though. Probably insanely high.

> > >

> > > A place that I discovered over the summer is a new place: Old Toccoa Farm. It’s near Blue Ridge, GA nestled in the mountains and right on the Toccoa River. They are building new mountain homes in there now. I’m actually really thinking about buying a place there to retire.

> > > https://www.oldtoccoafarm.com

> >

> > We loved Richmond Hill, and were actually looking at Ford Plantation - until we saw the prices. The homes aren't unreasonable, but there's a $50k initiation fee, and the HOA fees were ridiculous.

> >

> > St. Simons and Old Toccoa look interesting. Will have to do some more research. Thanks for the info.

>

> Pertaining to St Simons.... Davis Love is re-doing the Plantation course at the Sea Island Resort. 100k initiation, 3 courses.

> Ocean Forest and Frederica are the high ends, way more expensive than Sea island resort.

>

> Sea palms is going thru a redesign and is about to be private or at least semi... Lots of housing and condos there...seems very HHI to me, but not necessarily as nice.

>

> If it were me I would purchase a property on St Simons somewhere, you could rent it out for 4 months straight during the summer, the population of the Island doubles during that time....and for golf I would join Brunswick CC, a fabulous old Donald Ross design, fantastic club and membership and playable all year round... Interstate membership is well under $200 per month, they also have seasonal memberships that are very affordable.

> Only 1 course there, but it's a gem. 10 minutes from St Simons.

Good stuff. Do you have any idea what membership costs are for the other SSI courses?

> @Divdevil said:

> > @OutBackHack said:

> > > @SecondandGoal said:

> > > > @Divdevil said:

> > > > As you mentioned, the Landings is great for what you are talking about. 6 courses. If you are member, I htink you have to only pay a cart fee to play. Great golfing community.

> > > >

> > > > Also, while it’s out of most people’s price range, the Ford Plantation in Richmond Hill has a great course. Top 10 in the state. Also near Savannah with some great courses close by.

> > > > https://fordplantation.com

> > > >

> > > > St Simons Island has some of the best courses in GA. Ocean Forest, Seaside, and Davis Love is redoing a course (Sea Palms, I think?) Not sure what membership prices are though. Probably insanely high.

> > > >

> > > > A place that I discovered over the summer is a new place: Old Toccoa Farm. It’s near Blue Ridge, GA nestled in the mountains and right on the Toccoa River. They are building new mountain homes in there now. I’m actually really thinking about buying a place there to retire.

> > > > https://www.oldtoccoafarm.com

> > >

> > > We loved Richmond Hill, and were actually looking at Ford Plantation - until we saw the prices. The homes aren't unreasonable, but there's a $50k initiation fee, and the HOA fees were ridiculous.

> > >

> > > St. Simons and Old Toccoa look interesting. Will have to do some more research. Thanks for the info.

> >

> > Pertaining to St Simons.... Davis Love is re-doing the Plantation course at the Sea Island Resort. 100k initiation, 3 courses.

> > Ocean Forest and Frederica are the high ends, way more expensive than Sea island resort.

> >

> > Sea palms is going thru a redesign and is about to be private or at least semi... Lots of housing and condos there...seems very HHI to me, but not necessarily as nice.

> >

> > If it were me I would purchase a property on St Simons somewhere, you could rent it out for 4 months straight during the summer, the population of the Island doubles during that time....and for golf I would join Brunswick CC, a fabulous old Donald Ross design, fantastic club and membership and playable all year round... Interstate membership is well under $200 per month, they also have seasonal memberships that are very affordable.

> > Only 1 course there, but it's a gem. 10 minutes from St Simons.

>

> Good stuff. Do you have any idea what membership costs are for the other SSI courses?

Sea palms is the only other course on the Island that isn't part of the resort or a super high end... Being that it's not open for business again I don't know if the rates are being advertised yet, I guess contacting them is worth a shot.

Seapalms.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hilton Head is NOTHING like Myrtle Beach. Don't know where you stayed but obviously you didn't get into the Plantations (neighborhoods) if you think the Island is all condos and strip malls.

Look up Long Cove (Dye) and Wexford (Palmer) if you want to see quality, private golf communities. Indigo Run, Hilton Head Plantation, Palmetto Dunes, Palmetto Hall, and SHipyard are all golf course communities with public courses and Sea Pines has both private and public tracks on their property. There are also some excellent properties off Islanbd in Bluffton (which is growing like crazy). Colleton River has 2 courses (Nicklaus and Dye), Moss Creek has 2 courses (Fazio), Belfair has 2 course (Fazio), Berkely Hall has 2 courses (Fazio), and Hampton Hall has 1 course (Dye). Palmetto Bluff is right down Rt46 on the way to Savanna. Beautiful homes and one of the best Nicklaus courses I have ever played. Callawassie and Spring Islan are right down the road (170) on the way to Beaufort and they have some nice homes and the golf is fantastic. Spring Island has Old Tabby (Palmer) and Callawassie has 27 holes of Fazio design and you also have Chechessee (Doak) right there, which is a hidden gem.

The private courses have an excellent reciprocal program that allows members to play eachothers tracks for a reasonable fee during the summers. The area really IS a golfers paradise and an excellent place to retire. I moved here from Chicago almost 20 years ago and I can tell you first hand that it is NOTHING like Myrtle Beach. My friends and I used to go there from Chicago all the time for golf trips.

No neon signs or ferris wheels in HHI.

• 2 weeks later...

So, after doing some poking around based on the feedback from a few folks on this thread, we've decided to give Hilton Head another look. I didn't realize it's primarily a beach/summer area, more than a golf area, which is ideal for us right now. We have no plans to be down there during the summer, so we'd be able to get full rental value during the peak season. We're not really fans of condo living, but the real estate agent I've been talking to tells me a lot of the condos are very lightly occupied during the winter, so we're willing to give it a shot.

We're going down at the end of October for a visit and to check out a few places. Any suggestions for places to eat/visit/etc. are welcomed.