PGA Tour Radio

MountainGoat

I'm sensing some softening of the editorial content of PGA Tour Radio following the Hank Haney issue. Up until Hank's suspension, I got the feeling that producers were encouraging their hosts to be more outspoken. That was certainly the case with Hank as evidenced by his attacks on the USGA and other issues. Even traditional nice guys like Michael Breed were developing more the sort of edge you'd find on FoxNews.

But after Haney got suspended, everyone has gotten a lot quieter. The Paulsons on ITR even had a segment on the LPGA yesterday. It seems as though PGA Tour Radio got reminded that the PGA and LPGA have a cooperative agreement in place to support each other. I'm guessing Hank is gone for good.

I agree that there are too many sensitive people, too many people have 'voices' now but it is all a bunch of whining for the most part. And certainly I think this topic will be tip toed around on here.

But it is ironic to me that I think we can all agree LPGA is not marketed or advertised enough to get the viewers they hope. Whatever further reasoning we may all have is besides the point. And you mentioned yourself PGA and LPGA is in agreement to support each other. So a PGA radio show goes on to have a segment about the LPGA and the response is "wow, they are getting soft." Lol. They're bound to never succeed if they can't talk about it without people thinking there's some hidden agenda and getting 'soft' because they're talking about women playing golf.

Hank was an increasingly aggressive agitator. His 'tell it like it is' style had devolved into meanness. There were many times when I had to turn him off, because he just went too far over the top. His most recent incident was was just the proximate event in his termination, but I don't think it was the cause. I think PGA Tour Radio wants to pull back from that kind of criticism of its product. I also think they want its hosts to be more knowledgeable about the LPGA.

Since I do a hellish commute up 95 for an hour each way I listen to PGA Tour Radio both ways. I liked Hank and his statistics based comments on the PGA. I heard Hank's comments on the Lee thing and it didn't strike me as offensive but to me I always felt more like we we were sitting around a table at the club with Hank having some lunch or whatever after a round, not him talking to thousands of people with varying ideas on right and wrong.

With regard to the LPGA, I am an avid watcher, mostly when they play majors and believe the way they play a course is similar to mine and it's help to a degree. I completely understand those who only watch the PGA because what they can do I will never be able to do and there are amazing shots every time I tune in. So other than short game it's really fun to watch for almost pure entertainment because they play a game I don't comprehend.

The one thing I do detest about PGA Tour Radio is hearing about their travel woes, missing flights, flight delays, bad cities for connecting flights, rental cars, where they are staying...all that crap.

I did like Haney and the way he talked statistics relative to winning and overall play.

The big thing is you can't get on there and criticize some of the product. In our current climate you cannot devalue the quality of women's golf.

His bashing of the USGA was getting old and tired.

Overall I think you need something to balance the cheer leading of Michael Breed.

• Like 1

I think the overall content of this channel has declined. Matt Adams could be annoying, but he is better than Marr. I liked Peter Kessler, and Brian Katrek in the morning. I might just be getting a bit tired of golf talk in general. They all seem to grab on to the smallest controversies, and run them in ground. The way Hank used to talk about Mike Davis, I got the impression he was the anti Christ, and the USGA was trying to take over the world.

Hank was the best host on the station. I would make sure I was in my car and on the road during his segment. I don't really need the PGA Network anymore. Breed makes me want to pull my hair out. Like he is jacked up on too much coffee and makes me nervous to listen to. I have begun to like Paulson and Paulson more. Katrek and Maginnes are really hard to listen to. They were OK when they had their own shows, when they paired them together it became a difficult listen. Hank though was true and told it like it was. Made an interesting show whether you agreed with him or not. Liked his stories.

• Like 1

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> Hank was the best host on the station. I would make sure I was in my car and on the road during his segment. I don't really need the PGA Network anymore. Breed makes me want to pull my hair out. Like he is jacked up on too much coffee and makes me nervous to listen to. I have begun to like Paulson and Paulson more. Katrek and Maginnes are really hard to listen to. They were OK when they had their own shows, when they paired them together it became a difficult listen. Hank though was true and told it like it was. Made an interesting show whether you agreed with him or not. Liked his stories.

Hank is a far sight better than the rebroadcasts during his time slot now. If Hank is for sure gone, hopefully they will find a full-time live host to take over. Then I can go back to listening from 10-3 instead of 12-3.

Hank had decent content once in awhile....but, his stammering, repeating himself, and hucksterism made it hard to listen. I won't miss him.

PGA Tour radio as a whole, is pretty lame. Relying on ex-players as hosts is going to limit the quality of pace, content, and energy. They should hire some professional broadcasters, people who can actually put a sentence together, as hosts with players as guests. Stadler, Cook, Perez are not interesting or well spoken.

I'm fine without hearing any LPGA talk, they can get their own channel, if there is a demand.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

> @puttfordoux said:

> In my opinion, Hank may have gotten tired of the Sirius gig, so he became so edgy the only choice left was to pull the plug. Its not like he needs the work. A house in Scottsdale, a house in Coeur D'alene, a house in Cabo, are there any other GOAT golfers out there looking for a coach (lol) !?!?

Hank only cared about being on the radio during weeks around majors, the Ryder Cup, and any tournament Tiger was in. He's going to miss that, but he won't miss 3/4 of the weeks he was on the radio. Kind of like when he internet went out at his house and he wasn't on for a week in the fall. He didn't want to be on and made no rush to get back on the air. I think that the hosts will be a little more fiery, but for now they were told to cool off. Going to miss Hank even though his rants were over the top at times.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > Can't say anything these days.

> >

> > Too many sensitive people with caffeinated attitudes driving social media.

> >

>

> As a sensitive person who drinks a lot of coffee, I'm offended by your post and will be even more offended if my post doesn't offend you.

I was preemptively offended by your post.

> @Tepop84 said:

> Hanks profile was removed from the pga tour website, he isn’t coming back. The lpga just isn’t good and no amount of marketing is going to help. The only thing it is going to do is have people stop listening to that station.

Bummer, but you're probably right. He was careless. Factually accurate, but careless and when you talk for a living eventually you're probably going to let something slip.

Wish we could get more Pat Perez. I don't agree with everything Haney and Perez say or more specifically their delivery all the time, but man they were/are by far the most entertaining. ITR is good but not quite as compelling as HH or PP, IMO.

> @gunmetal said:

>

>

> Bummer, but you're probably right. He was careless. Factually accurate, but careless and when you talk for a living eventually you're probably going to let something slip.

> Wish we could get more Pat Perez. I don't agree with everything Haney and Perez say or more specifically their delivery all the time, but man they were/are by far the most entertaining. ITR is good but not quite as compelling as HH or PP, IMO.

It was really before. Michael Breed is very positive about everything in golf, Hank Haney was more tell it like it is and ITR radio was more on the positive side also. I thought they played well off each other and having the alternate viewpoints made it interesting. Now it is Breed, whatever leftover garbage at 10 and then ITR. Too much fluff doesn't make me want to turn on the radio.

I also agree with the person that thinks that Hank was kind of over having a radio show and wanted out.

• Like 1

At least I don't have to hear about VooDoo cream 15 times in a 2 hour show.

Breeds show is basicially a Titleist commercial.

ITR and On Tap are very good shows as long as they don't try to get TOO funny.

Gravy and The Sleaze are awesome but they're only on for an hour a week.

I could listen to Ben Chrenshaw all day. Great stories. Greg Norman is unlistenable. Perez is interesting because he just doesn't care what he says.

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

• 2 weeks later...

> @puttfordoux said:

> Inside the Ropes is now on in Haney's old time slot after Michael Breed.

ITR was doing 3 hour shows before? Did Taylor Zarzour just get an extra hour now?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> > @puttfordoux said:

> > Inside the Ropes is now on in Haney's old time slot after Michael Breed.

>

> ITR was doing 3 hour shows before? Did Taylor Zarzour just get an extra hour now?

>

>

Yes, he's on everyday now from what I understand.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Hank seems to have done a pretty successful job of running himself out of the golf business. His stint on radio revitalized his career after his disastrous book on Tiger. But, now? I guess he owns a golf course and a couple of training centers, but his advertisers are going to dry up pretty quickly. And he's probably got a garage full of unsold Voodoo Cream. What happens to that?

> @MountainGoat said:

> Hank seems to have done a pretty successful job of running himself out of the golf business. His stint on radio revitalized his career after his disastrous book on Tiger. But, now? I guess he owns a golf course and a couple of training centers, but his advertisers are going to dry up pretty quickly. And he's probably got a garage full of unsold Voodoo Cream. What happens to that?

Hank had a double your money guarantee going on VooDoo Cream. Better take advantage before he runs out of cash.

• 1 month later...

I have to say I am giddy happy that they booted Hank Haney. I could not stand his stupid show. The only time I switched stations from XM 92 was when his show was on. He is a negative grouchy washed up dude.

Can’t wait to see him at a local flea market pedaling his Voodoo cream. Good riddance! Got what he deserved.

Callaway (OG) Rogue SZ

TS2 Fairways

JPX 919 Tour (4-PW)

RTX4's 50, 56

BETTI QB6

1. Haney’s show was unlistenable for me. Between his stuttering & stammering, constant whining about the USGA and meandering topics it made me grind my teeth it was so bad.

2. Michael Breed can get annoying but I listen as long as I can.

3. I really like ITR and K&MOT

4. Crenshaw on Golf is an acquired taste but I love to hear his stories.

5. TZ’s show is boring

6. Gravy & the Sleaze is fun but I have no idea who The Sleaze is.

> @Brass_Bullseye said:

> 1. Haney’s show was unlistenable for me. Between his stuttering & stammering, constant whining about the USGA and meandering topics it made me grind my teeth it was so bad.

>

> 2. Michael Breed can get annoying but I listen as long as I can.

>

> 3. I really like ITR and K&MOT

>

> 4. Crenshaw on Golf is an acquired taste but I love to hear his stories.

>

> 5. TZ’s show is boring

>

> 6. Gravy & the Sleaze is fun but I have no idea who The Sleaze is.

K&M On Tap is my favorite show ! Love listening to the first 30 mins or so on the way home from work.

Callaway (OG) Rogue SZ

TS2 Fairways

JPX 919 Tour (4-PW)

RTX4's 50, 56

BETTI QB6